Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

Idiotron

kiwifarms.net
Freaks (2019)

I like to seek out unknown indie gems and this is definitely one of them.
I'm actually surprised that this didn't get a wide release because it would make bank with a proper marketing budget.
Writing is good, acting is good, it looks and sounds good, really solid movie.
We need to watch this at one of the KF movie nights.
Highly recommended.

la mort

ejaculation is murder
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Netflix's La Casa de las Flores is a wonderful Mexican dark comedy. I'm enjoying the second season.

2795661.jpg

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Anyone remember I, Zombie? It's a fucked up movie. It's about a dude who turns into a zombie. Probably its most famous scene is when he's jerking off to a picture of his girlfriend and his dick comes off in his hands. I can't say I'd actually recommend it. It's pretty terrible. But if that kind of fucked up shit amuses you, you might like it, or at least hate it in the right way.

Overly Serious

kiwifarms.net
Nekrotronic.

Low-budget and a little rushed - one of those movies that must dive straight into the action. But the characters are fun, the movie is fun. Don't think the poor thing even got a cinema release in most countries. And the plot, whilst still more or less action-movie standard, isn't entirely predictable which is a nice change. One part Harry Potter, one part Ghostbusters, two parts Resident Evil. Deserved a bigger budget. I have no idea why Monica Bellucci is in it!

nekrotronic-29141-1200.jpg

nekrotronic-monica-bellucci.jpg

Titanic Cow

Dairy degeneracy on an enormous scale.
kiwifarms.net
two most nuanced characters (Inspector Kido of the Kempeitai and SS Reichsführer John Smith) are butchered and completely out of character.
I haven't read the book yet but, I enjoyed Kido and Smith in the TV series a lot. I only watched up to S3 and left S4 alone when I heard it was a trainwreck. It's a real shame because I found the setting to be really interesting and John Smith was a captivating character. His flashback sequence to the war-torn streets of America was really haunting.

I've been watching the Sopranos for the first time. I had heard about it but, never watched it. Really, really enjoying it so far and I'm only on S2. Does it start to get bad later on?

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
I haven't read the book yet but, I enjoyed Kido and Smith in the TV series a lot. I only watched up to S3 and left S4 alone when I heard it was a trainwreck. It's a real shame because I found the setting to be really interesting and John Smith was a captivating character. His flashback sequence to the war-torn streets of America was really haunting.

I've been watching the Sopranos for the first time. I had heard about it but, never watched it. Really, really enjoying it so far and I'm only on S2. Does it start to get bad later on?
I had to live in NJ in a town full of cafones so it's spot on but toward the end it sort of flounders about like a fish out of water. No as bad as Man in the High Castle though so just enjoy it.

frozenrunner

Salt supply chains have been interrupted.
kiwifarms.net
No. The Sopranos is universally great. (Well, aside from the scene they shot with Tony's mother after Nancy Marchand died. That was a bad idea.)

Rice Is Ready

*MMMMUUAH
kiwifarms.net
Vampire Hunter (2004)
John O'Ryan, a former marine who trained martial arts in Japan, fights vampires

This is one of those movies where everything can be solved by a roundhouse kick. The main character is the best. He has every single martial arts weapon in his basement he also seems to have every super hero action figure. When not punching or kicking things he draws Frank Frazetta style art. A vampire tries to steal his with so he has to karate kick through his legions of goons. I love this movie because no one even comes close to gaining the upper hand on our main character. This movie is very cheap and cheesy but has loads of charm and fight choreography is really well done. The sound quality is pretty terrible in the voice department but at least the amazing 80s music is intact.

10/10 watch it now it's only like an hour.

frozenrunner

Salt supply chains have been interrupted.
kiwifarms.net
I just finished the series finale of USA's Mr. Robot.

The first season of the show was my favorite thing on television when it premiered in 2015. The techno-drama/thriller would have been impressive anyway simply because its creator Sam Esmail went to such pains to get the computer stuff (mostly hacking) as accurate as possible. Hollywood never gets that stuff anywhere close to right. But no, everything about it was shockingly high quality. The cast is outstanding (everyone is great, but Rami Malek and Christian Slater are the obvious stars), the scripts are smart, the electronic soundtrack by Mac Quayle lends the "present-day" setting a cyberpunk feel, and it's beautifully directed (especially for a television show). USA chose to enter the prestige TV market with this show for a reason. I loved it.

But I admit, the show kind of fell off for me after that. Season 2 was good, but it wasn't quite as impressive as the first. And the third season started off very slowly for me. If it hadn't picked up steam halfway through, I might have stopped altogether.

I type that all to type this: if you dropped the show at any point during its run, pick it up and finish it. The fourth season was nearly flawless, and the writers really nailed the ending.

And if you didn't give it a chance before, you should do it now if anything about it sounds interesting. Sam Esmail created something masterful (if not perfect, but TV rarely is) that USA will have forever. HBO will always have The Sopranos and Deadwood, AMC will always have Mad Men and Breaking Bad, FX will always have The Americans and Justified. And USA will always have this show to point to and be proud of. They seem to have largely abandoned their prestige TV play, but they didn't fail at it.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I reminded myself what a maverick Zbigniew Rybczyński is, having first seen his Oscar-winning short "Tango" some 25 years ago. His greatest fame probably came in the 80's when he was making videos for groups like Simple Minds, Pet Shop Boys, Mick Jagger and many others. He really get into the latest in video technologies of the day to create some stunning effects that weren't achieved before.

Rice Is Ready

*MMMMUUAH
kiwifarms.net
The Alien Agenda Series
MV5BMTcxNDgyNDY0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgyODcxMQ@@._V1_.jpg
dh3lKif2bbSX3zfenBMCd4Z7My2.jpgMV5BMTIzODgzNjQ0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU4NjkxMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR13,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
B00008RWUB.jpg
36442.jpg
time-enough-the-alien-conspiracy-080104b59c47c485e3c9dcd7f3ccf3e3.jpg

Super low budget sci-fi anthology series made with lots of love and gives off serious X-Files/Unsolved Mysteries vibes. Lot's of different independent filmmakers participated in this series like Ron Ford and Tim Ritter. Filled to the brim with rubbery alien spirit Halloween masks, monstrous puppets, video toaster CGI UFOs, laser pistols, martial arts, and once and a while we get some genuinely creepy story telling or imagery!

There's a reoccurring character played by cult movie actor and karate master Joel D. Wynkoop who shows up in some segments usually getting hired by the government or alien faction to go on super top secret badass missions which usually involve sneaking around and fist fighting henchmen.

Most of the series is on YouTube and it really doesn't matter what order you watch them in. Also one of the Feeders aliens from the Polonia Brothers movies makes an appearance getting dissected in Alien Agenda Under The Skin.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I usually prefer to find some kind of DVD rip rather than watch a stream, but fuck me that series appears obscure and hard to find. It looks really cool.

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Don't know if it's been suggested but I just started watching Hulus exclusive mother up. It lasted only one season but it looks promising so far plus the idea is actually unique. It's an adult animated sitcom but unlike the countless family Guy or Simpsons clones it's got a unique idea about a rich socialite from the city forced to be a single mom in the suburbs.

Rob_Mercury

🤡🌏
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hanna (2011)
Want a action film with a female protagonist that doesn't suck? Watch this one. Director did Darkest Hour with Gary Oldman getting his long-due Oscar, but also that shitty peter pan movie in 2015

Black Sails
Pirates of the Caribbean meets Game of Thrones but unlike the former has a good story and unlike the latter, nails the fucking end.

Rampage (2009) (no not the one you're thinking off)
Uwe Boll's only good movies (made two sequels). About a guy who blames all of the worlds problems and future struggles on overpopulation, so his solution is to kill as many people as possible. It's a lot less edgier in execution then on paper.

Snowpiercer
Good storytelling and non-condensing sociopolitical commentary put together. Same director made Parasite a few months ago.

The How to Train Your Dragon trilogy. Dreamworks best movies in terms of story, characters, animation and soundtracks.

Showing my weeb hand: Hunter x Hunter (2011).
It's 148 episodes (146 if you skip 13 and 26), so you might say "fuck that" (I don't blame you). It's first batch of episodes might not be really something special but it's largely a character driven adventure with some of the best written villains/antagonists I've seen in any media so far and amazing fights & animation quality. Due to it's length there are some pacing issues and it follows some typical anime cliches in terms of animation and voice acting (Naruto running especially).

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
My best sales pitch would be to describe it as Lilo and Stitch but Japanese and more relaxed, not even really a comedy. It's beautiful to look at and has three amazing main characters who function like a family.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kiss of Death [1947] by director Henry Hathaway

This movie is about Nick Bianco played by Victor Mature, who after hearing news of his wife being raped by one of his own cohorts while serving time decides to work with the DA to get himself out of prison and pay them back by working with the DA but while doing so unleashes the wrath of one of his said cohorts, played by Richard Widmark who makes his starring debut by playing as a deranged psychopathic mobster who goes by the name of Tommy Udo.

For all you comic book nerds out there Richard Widmark said that he was influenced by the comic book version of Joker to do his random sinister cackling and mannerisms while for you recent Irishman viewers, real life gangster Joe Gallo said he began to mimic certain characteristics of Tommy during his criminal career.

Last edited:

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Not a recommendation, or anything but watching this compilation becomes hypnotic after awhile. From the Quinn Martin production Cannon, the 70s show starring William Conrad as plus-sized PI Frank Cannon, all of the "guest stars" i.e. the actors playing the main characters in an episode as introduced in the intro - a Quinn Martin production staple.

Was this series produced in the 1970s...OK we have a Clu Gulager sighting and repeat appearances by Martin Sheen, Tom Skerritt and Leslie Neilsen,

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
While Sam Mendes is hot and prestige entertainment over three hours long is hot, might I recommend The Lehman Trilogy?

Three actors and a piano player barreling through the 150+ year history of Lehman Brothers. Sucks you in more than the premise would suggest.

Tags
None