Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
Dead Man's Line is an interesting documentary about Tony Kiritsis, a guy who held a mortgage broker hostage back in the 1970's for 60 hours, all while TV cameras covered the whole thing. He apparently had wired a device that would shoot the broker if the he, the broker or the gun were yanked in any sort of way, so to keep law enforcement off of him. It's a fascinating story.

Cynically Insane

They must have taken my marbles away
kiwifarms.net
I just watched the Netflix docuseries Don't Fuck with Cats. I am still shaken.

It is essentially the story of Luka Magnotta. The story reveals however the cat and mouse game Magnotta was playing with a facebook group trying to identify him from his posted kitten killing videos. Magnotta started trolling them, right down to dox and one of their members was the first to receive the snuff video. Holy Fuck.

I watch all of the mass shooting videos from a detached, objective standpoint, but I had to close my eyes at points because I just don't want to see kittens being killed. The visceral reaction still lingers.

You may or may not want to watch it. I wish I didn't. It amplifies the point that the mere observation of a phenomenon inevitably changes that phenomenon. Well doesn't that hit a little close to home?

albertbrown26

#1 Bill Hicks fan
kiwifarms.net
5F1549B5-EAFC-4462-9E6B-BD5B00FED72C.jpeg

So I’m gearing up to watch this, but I think I should read the manga first. I know they made an OVA for this back in the ‘90s, but I was wondering if they watched the movie before reading the source material?

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
Life sucks currently, so I am looking for some funny comedy on Netflix, Hulu and Prime Video. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
Any good recommendations for mystery / detective / police shows that focus on solving the case and the people directly involved with it while having minimal family and relationship drama?

I love a good murder mystery but I fucking loathe having to also sit through subplots about the detective's daughter's boyfriend troubles. Columbo's one of the greatest detective shows of all time and unless you looked it up you wouldn't even know his first name, and his wife never appearing on screen is a running joke (inb4 Mrs. Columbo jokes).

Right now I'm watching Cardinal and while the actual police work parts and the scenes with the killers are great the show also has to dedicate time to the main character's marital troubles with his bipolar wife, which makes me regret even turning on a new episode once those scenes start.

ThrowawayMCL

Far worse than you.
kiwifarms.net
Recently downloaded all the episode of futrama.

I really enjoyed it up until season 4* (bender's big score)

After season 5, it doesnt seem to have it's charm; it almost seems like a souless fan fiction. there is some exceptions after season 5 but it just seems like the newer episode drag on or are predictable.

Still, rate it 8/10. Would have been 10/10 but the newer seasons seem to have forgotten what made it great. I still reccommend people to watch it but after season 4, it kinda loses its charm.

View attachment 1122745

So I’m gearing up to watch this, but I think I should read the manga first. I know they made an OVA for this back in the ‘90s, but I was wondering if they watched the movie before reading the source material?
As a weeb, I preferred the anime. almost insulting to make it 'Americanized' or have the shitty 3dcg that looks like a ps4 release game.

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
Not a recommendation, or anything but watching this compilation becomes hypnotic after awhile. From the Quinn Martin production Cannon, the 70s show starring William Conrad as plus-sized PI Frank Cannon, all of the "guest stars" i.e. the actors playing the main characters in an episode as introduced in the intro - a Quinn Martin production staple.

Was this series produced in the 1970s...OK we have a Clu Gulager sighting and repeat appearances by Martin Sheen, Tom Skerritt and Leslie Neilsen,
The 70s had a whole stable of unconventional PI badasses, there was Cannon, the elderly Barnaby Jones, and the crippled, wheelchair bound Ironsides. I think there were some crossover episodes with them.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Cyril Sneer

Why is the "Peace" symbol a Norse "Death" rune?
kiwifarms.net
Kiss of Death [1947] by director Henry Hathaway

This movie is about Nick Bianco played by Victor Mature, who after hearing news of his wife being raped by one of his own cohorts while serving time decides to work with the DA to get himself out of prison and pay them back by working with the DA but while doing so unleashes the wrath of one of his said cohorts, played by Richard Widmark who makes his starring debut by playing as a deranged psychopathic mobster who goes by the name of Tommy Udo.

For all you comic book nerds out there Richard Widmark said that he was influenced by the comic book version of Joker to do his random sinister cackling and mannerisms while for you recent Irishman viewers, real life gangster Joe Gallo said he began to mimic certain characteristics of Tommy during his criminal career.

Widmark was apparently somewhat disturbed to receive offers of marriage from hundreds of women for years afterwards, on the basis of his role in that film.

I rewatched Touch of Evil [1958] by Orson Welles, that guy is absolutely amazing at continuous one shot scenes and creepy angles in certain moments, he's also good at playing ugly fat bastards. Real shame with not hiring actual Mexicans for his characters, Charlton Heston is just one big fat brown elephant in the room playing a Mexican character, then again Marlon Brando was like that too in Viva Zapata so whatever.
Not all Mexicans are pudgy brown mestizos.

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
To those of you with Funimation streaming subscriptions, Paranoia Agent is now available to watch. It is the rare anime series that I can safely recommend even to people who do not usually watch anime.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1122745

It's worth reading the first volume or two to get some context/a feel for the tone (it's gloomier than the film from what I remember) but by no means mandatory to read all of it - although this applies to basically all manga.

A de-recommendation, Blade Runner 2049 had a diabolically bad third act. It was a 4/5 for me in the first two thirds but did so many obnoxious things towards the end that somehow ended up hating it. It would've been a better film if it just ended after the 'revelation' with the VR dome girl.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
I'm planning on rewatching blade runner now that I have the definitive cut on Blu-ray. Long before Ridley Scott was a pretentious arrogant high brow snob, who seems hell bent on running the alien franchise into the ground. He was a visionary great up there with Spielberg, Kubrick, Wells, and Hitchcock.

The main reason blade runner didn't do so hot when it was first released is warmer Bros not only hacked it pieces and added the annoying unnecessary narrator because viewers are idiots, but also they edited the trailers and tv spots to make it look like it was a post apocalyptic action movie. To cash in on their sucess with the road warrior the year before. Blade runner has some action scenes in it but really it's more a philosophical drama with homages to the film noirs of old

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
Life sucks currently, so I am looking for some funny comedy on Netflix, Hulu and Prime Video. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I loved Patriot on Amazon Prime. It's a black humor/drama about an extremely depressed CIA agent and his misadventures trying to complete an operation in Luxembourg.
Also, there's What We Do In Shadows, both the original movie, and the series on FX. It's a dark comedy about goofy, inept vampires and other creatures of the night

Reactions: Midlife Sperglord

Cynically Insane

They must have taken my marbles away
kiwifarms.net
I just watched Parasite. After all the Oscar hubbub (which I really don't pay any attention to), I decided to give it what the big deal is. It was interesting and extremely well done. One can make an argument that any of the main characters could be the titled parasite. It is a Korean take on the upstairs downstairs class drama but with more devastation and no hope. It was more than worth the time it took to watch and coming from me that is high praise. I hate most movies.

Tags
None