Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I recently recommended an Italian film called Africa Addio to someone else. There are a lot of high quality reuploads of it on Youtube. It's basically an Italian camera crew seeking out the most fucked up parts of Subsaharan Africa during the worst excesses of the bloody decolonization period in the 1960s. Kind of like those old VICE documentaries, except they get way closer to the carnage and violence than the VICE hipster journos. Needless to say, a lot of animals and people end up dying just an arm's length away from the camera; it is quite grisly and quite real. In one sequence, they literally capture an entire actual genocide on camera, from start to finish. It's really mindblowing stuff.

But at the same time it's a very stylishly well edited film, and I think there is very little editing trickery to the real life footage besides some sound redubbing, in the Italian style of that era (ie, Italian filmmakers were accustomed to adding all of the sound in post production, so during principal photography, they didn't bother to record sound in good quality if at all). No cheesy reenactments at all; the worst it gets is just a handful of obviously staged tableaux that are very easy to distinguish from the real footage.

Last edited:

Rice Is Ready

Mmmm, red velvet
kiwifarms.net
I recently recommended an Italian film called Africa Addio to someone else. There are a lot of high quality reuploads of it on Youtube. It's basically an Italian camera crew seeking out the most fucked up parts of Subsaharan Africa during the worst excesses of the bloody decolonization period in the 1960s. Kind of like those old VICE documentaries, except they get way closer to the carnage and violence than the VICE hipster journos. Needless to say, a lot of animals and people end up dying just an arm's length away from the camera; it is quite grisly and quite real.

But at the same time it's a very stylishly well edited film, and I think there is very little editing trickery to the real life footage besides some sound redubbing, in the Italian style of that era (ie, Italian filmmakers were accustomed to adding all of the sound in post production, so during principal photography, they didn't bother to record sound in good quality if at all)
If you like that then check out a similar Italian film about slavery called "Goodbye Uncle Tom" or if you want some African made history-exploitation watch "Amin the Rise and Fall"

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you like that then check out a similar Italian film about slavery called "Goodbye Uncle Tom" or if you want some African made history-exploitation watch "Amin the Rise and Fall"

There is a whole subgenre of 1960s Italian "mondo" shockumentaries, but as I understand it, "Africa Addio" is regarded as the high point of the format.

Rice Is Ready

Mmmm, red velvet
kiwifarms.net
There is a whole subgenre of 1960s Italian "mondo" shockumentaries, but as I understand it, "Africa Addio" is regarded as the high point of the format.
I watched a fake one called Brutes and Savages where a paper mache crocodile attacked a tribesman in a river that was actually a swimming pool. It had amazing music though. Very primal sounding and funky done by maestro Riz Ortolani (Cannibal Holocaust, Mondo Cane, Django Unchained) The soundtrack was ripped off alot and pasted in Kung Fu movies!

Reactions: Ineedahero

IdaRita

draw problematic pretty ppl
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1012469

If you want Game of Thrones type shit that's much less shitty and much less stupid, and you can somehow find this turkish shit online in english, I thoroughly recommend this. First couple episodes are mostly romance oriented but later it becomes an intrigue extravaganza, basically it's like watching a live reenactment of a Crusader Kings II let's play.
Not gonna lie, not expected Magnificent Century here, but I also can reccomend the show. If you don't mind telenovela format and some soap-opera flavor + bit slower action, it's very satisfying show. Ending was planned from the begining, it is a cohesive story, really good actors.
They basically produced one 1 and a half hour episode per week for 4 years, and if you consider that, special effects and editing are suprisingly good.
And Sehzade Mustafa did nothing wrong.
Turkish dramas/telenovelas in general are interesting topic and there can be really good ones that do not suffer from being seasonal - you got one, long story. I had one friend who can't stop talking about Ezel and İçerde, so I'm going to check those too someday.

Opening theme is pretty kickass too.

Gog & Magog

The natural state of man is not peace, but war.
kiwifarms.net
I see a thread for move and show recommendations but not reviews so here's one. I'll start.
download.jpg

I recently saw Dolittle starring Robert Downey Jr. with my family because why not. It's an adaptation of the book series, specifically the Voyages of Doctor Dolittle and the cartoon from the 70s. It follows Dolittle and his crew of CGI animals as they race against time to find the cure to save the Queen of Britain.

So there I was, sitting in a mostly empty theater wondering how a film with a budget of $175 million could recieve such little advertising. The film opens with exposition about Dolittle's doctoring for animals, his talents, and how he retreated from caring for animals after his wife died. This exposition is done in two distinct animations, one 2D and the other 3D, both beautifully rendered and full of charm. Then the rest of the film begins. You know the feeling you get when you leave the theater for a restroom break and come back trying to figure out what has happened? This whole film feels like that.

Despite being aimed at families and younger audiences this film left me puzzled at how characters knew to do certain things. Dr. Dolittle apparently wanted to keep everyone out of his nature preserve but left the gate unlocked? The pacing is also horrendous. It's reminiscent of the Rise of Skywalker in that the film makers obviously tried making up for a lackluster script with nauseatingly quick edits. This leaves the audience no time to learn anything beyond the superficial traits and relationships between characters. Not a single scene feels longer than 2 minutes. Every character is underdeveloped, written by someone who fails to make movie goers care about the characters in the same way that they obviously do.

The humor in this film is atrocious. Some audience members were busting a gut over it. Some people like this film and that's absolutely fine. I grew up watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000) every Christmas alongside It's A Wonderful Life so we all have varying tastes but I cannot imagine most people would find this film even remotely funny. There is no attachment to the characters or the story so the jokes are weak already but on top of that they are just bad. Like all the other big budget live action films based upon old TV shows like the Flintstones (1994) and Yogi Bear (2010,) Hollywood has failed once again to deliver the charm of the originals.

The worst part of the film was when Robert Downey Jr. shoved both his arms up the female dragon's anus. I mean, damn they just met 2 minutes ago! This whole scene was appearnetly RDJ's idea so make of that what you will.

TrippinKahlua

Fashions provided by Lily Reuben Salon SSW
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's no where else to post this and it's not worth making a new thread over but I really got into watching St. Elsewhere on Hulu.

It's like the 80s version of Grey's Anatomy and House. It even stars William Daniels and David Morse, just to name a few.

Back then, there were constant references to how old Norman Lloyd's character was. Norman Lloyd is still alive to this day at 106.

It also stars Howie Mandel. Surely you guys have heard of him.

Perhaps the most famous actor it included was Denzel Washington, who of course got front and center in the DVD cover.

Reactions: Rhoda Penmark
Just watched season 2 of Kingdom on Netflix and it's utterly fantastic. A zombie drama set in feudal Korea that actually manages to do something fresh and creepy with the genre and unlike certain other shows, things actually move at a fast pace and there's never any downtime or filler. Needs to be watched with the original audio though.

albertbrown26

ABRAHAM LINCOLN DID NOTHING WRONG
kiwifarms.net
I saw Perfect Blue, and I’m thinking about doing a Satoshi Kon marathon before the Summer starts.
Which movie should be up next?

869851CB-975B-45D3-8942-4972B5B30627.jpeg
AD295F77-EA86-4DC6-8900-7B3FD5311252.jpeg
D827EEFA-371A-4A9F-8BAB-62DB066031DB.jpeg

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
I saw Perfect Blue, and I’m thinking about doing a Satoshi Kon marathon before the Summer starts.
Which movie should be up next?

View attachment 1196384View attachment 1196386View attachment 1196391
It's hard to go wrong with Satoshi Kon, though his movies are all fairly different. Personally, I like Paprika the most, followed by Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. If I were to marathon them, though, I think the best sequence would be Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika.

Not a film, but Paranoia Agent (his TV series) is arguably his best work; I'd very much recommend it as well.

Reactions: albertbrown26

Rice Is Ready

Mmmm, red velvet
kiwifarms.net
Not gonna lie, not expected Magnificent Century here, but I also can reccomend the show. If you don't mind telenovela format and some soap-opera flavor + bit slower action, it's very satisfying show. Ending was planned from the begining, it is a cohesive story, really good actors.
They basically produced one 1 and a half hour episode per week for 4 years, and if you consider that, special effects and editing are suprisingly good.
And Sehzade Mustafa did nothing wrong.
Turkish dramas/telenovelas in general are interesting topic and there can be really good ones that do not suffer from being seasonal - you got one, long story. I had one friend who can't stop talking about Ezel and İçerde, so I'm going to check those too someday.

Opening theme is pretty kickass too.
Is there violence? The head crushing and human flaying on Game of Thrones is what won me over.

TheImportantFart

Ronnie Barking Spider
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've just finished watching Cuckoo starring Greg Davies and I'm going to recommend it, but that recommendation comes with a few caveats.

The premise of the show, at least initially, is that long-suffering dad Ken has to put up with living with an eccentric American hippie named Cuckoo who his daughter Rachel met and married while she was on her gap year. Cuckoo is played by Andy Samberg and a lot of the comedy comes from Ken, who's a straight-laced lawyer, clashing with the new age philosophy Cuckoo adheres to.

This is where the caveats start coming in, because from hereon out, things get a bit divisive.

After the first series, Andy Samberg hit it big with Brooklyn Nine-Nine and wasn't available to appear in the second series beyond a vocal cameo, so they killed Cuckoo off in a climbing accident right off the bat. He's replaced by, I'm not kidding, Taylor Lautner as his character's long lost son Dale. I know, it sounds like the punchline to a joke.

Depending on who you ask, series 2-4 are either roughly on par with the first, or they're the worst thing ever. Personally, I liked series 2-4, but nowhere near as much as the first series. Taylor Lautner does a surprisingly good job as Dale, but obviously the difference between him and Andy Samberg is night and day. Cuckoo was an eccentric free spirit, while Dale is more of an earnest do-gooder, and the change won't be to everyone's liking.

They also had to recast Rachel between series 1 and 2 because Tamla Kari, who originally played the character, was busy with The Musketeers. She's played by Esther Smith for the rest of series, who's a very good actress, but the character is totally different from how she was in series 1 and I prefer the original Rachel. She was more likeable. And easier on the eyes.

All that said, if you do decide to give the series a whirl and stick with it through the casting and premise changes, I would strongly recommend avoiding series 5 because it's dreadful.

Taylor Lautner decided not to come back after series 4, which would have been a good place to end the series, but the creators wanted to keep it going, so they replaced him with Andie MacDowell of all people as Ken's long lost half-sister. Not only is her character unlikeable and unfunny, but the show doesn't even have a tangential relation to the title character anymore. Dale gets written out very lazily with a single line of dialogue, which is a huge shame considering where the show left him at the end of series 4, and Rachel mutates into an SJW bitch. If it hadn't been for Greg Davies and Helen Baxendale pulling me through, I would've given up one episode in, but I soldiered through to the end and... it wasn't worth my time.

All that said, I would say that the first series is definitely worth your time, series 2-4 are very much YMMV, and series 5 should be skipped. I do think it's a shame we couldn't have had one more series with the original cast though.

IdaRita

draw problematic pretty ppl
kiwifarms.net
Is there violence? The head crushing and human flaying on Game of Thrones is what won me over.
A lot more that you expect from this type of show, but less than Game of Thrones.
Main conflict of the series is also different, you have two sides represented by two concubines of sultan, not a lot of families figting and having alliances with each other. There are also some more boring romantic or slice of life subplots you can skip. It's a mixed bag, some are OK and important later, some unnecessary.
I reccomend to start watching the show as background noise when you do something else.

Reactions: Rice Is Ready

The Peacekeeper

Wrong. You got hella cash.
kiwifarms.net
Orphan Black (Watch it as bilnd as possible trust me)
While first 2 seasons are great it really loses steam in third season only to gain it back in fourth season although final season suffers from being too short
Rachel is a bitch. so much so i would have preffered her to die in 5/8 and instead give the redemption arc to ferdinand. Allison and her shenanigans with donnie was pretty funny. Helena:semperfidelis: Cosima and her dynamic with delphine was cute MK😢 sarah was well herself

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just watched the first couple episodes and holy fucking shit why did we never have a thread on Joe Exotic
I'm currently watching this now. Christ Joe Exotic is equal parts hilarious and horrifying. But I do have to say neither party is coming off too well in this.

Tags
None