Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I just re-watched all of Samurai Jack....ah, that show is so great!

I'm currently watching this now. Christ Joe Exotic is equal parts hilarious and horrifying. But I do have to say neither party is coming off too well in this.

To use wrestling terminology, Tiger King can best be described as a heel program. No babyfaces at all!

Guts Gets Some

kiwifarms.net
Watch the Orville. It's not stupid reference shit like you'd expect out of McFarlane.

But give it at least until 4 to really shine; but if you're any sort of fan of classic sci-fi before the woke era, it'll be a great show for you.

• Feels
Reactions: Ndnd

spurger king

Twink connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Just finished playing Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. What are some movies with a "grimbright" aesthetic? 43867955560_c62a378773_b.jpg

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Among recent watchings, The Misadventures of Biffle & Shooster, a loving recreation of 1930s vintage comedy, a presentation of five shorts starring vaudeville comedy duo Benny Biffle (Nick Santa Maria) and Sam Shooster (Will Ryan) , characters originally conceived by their actors. The fictional backstory is that the duo starred in 20 comedy shorts made by independent producer Sam Weinberg, separated and eventually worked sporadically in film in the years after, coming together again for a cameo in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World that was cut. They do all of the classic bits, the slow burns, spit takes, finger-pokes and slaps, snappy patter and misunderstandings. Different types of comedy are recreated as well like the Laurel & Hardy homage Imitation of Wife, the murder mystery parody The Biffle Murder Case , where the duo get involved in a parody of the films based on author S.S. Van Dyne's gentleman detective Philo Vance, the haunted house farce Bride of Finklestein which has a Jewish mad doctor. played by Phil Baron "playing" silent-era comic and Hal Roach regular Max Davidson in the role, and his captive man in an ape costume, Schmo Boat is a revue of comedy and musical acts in color, and the first short produced back in 2012, It's a Frame-Up! is a comedy of errors set in an art gallery which features Robert Picardo playing a classic-style comedy drunk, imitating silver screen inebriate Arthur Housman.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: la mort

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
If you like Morgan Freeman when he's not being a narrator, watch Kiss the Girls. It's a great crime movie with some thriller elements

This is a movie that got shit on but I liked. If you liked this maybe you'll like Fallen with Denzel Washington in it too because it's in that sort of not very well reviewed or remembered serial killer films. Another is Hideaway with Jeff Goldblum in it. Of course maybe you'll be in the majority that didn't like these movies.

kaien

kiwifarms.net
This is a movie that got shit on but I liked. If you liked this maybe you'll like Fallen with Denzel Washington in it too because it's in that sort of not very well reviewed or remembered serial killer films.
I feel like Fallen has become more and more of a cult thing as people pick up on it over the years. Interesting mix of supernatural horror and Body Snatchers paranoia picture. Lots of good heavy character actors, too, Elias Koteas, John Goodman, James Gandolfini.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Dark of the Sun, 1968 set during the Simba Rebellion of 1963–65, (based on a novel by Wilbur Smith set against the Baluba Rebellion of 1960), starring Rod Taylor and Jim Brown - Captain Curry ( and his right-hand man Sergeant Ruffo are brought in by the Congo government to lead a mission to retrieve European settlers from a remote town. Supposedly. That is secondary to their primary mission: to recover $50 million in uncut diamonds, diamonds the government needs to stay afloat and pay the mercenaries putting down the Simbas.

Last edited:

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dark of the Sun, 1968 set during the Simba Rebellion of 1963–65, (based on a novel by Wilbur Smith set against the Baluba Rebellion of 1960), starring Rod Taylor and Jim Brown - Captain Curry ( and his right-hand man Sergeant Ruffo are brought in by the Congo government to lead a mission to retrieve European settlers from a remote town. Supposedly. That is secondary to their primary mission: to recover $50 million in uncut diamonds, diamonds the government needs to stay afloat and pay the mercenaries putting down the Simbas.

Chainsaw fights? Sign me up!

Overcast

Employee of the Year
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Watched the Godfather trilogy for the first time.

The Godfather: Loved it, Marlon Brando in particular stole the show. Was pretty much on the edge of my seat the entire time.

The Godfather Part II: Enjoyed it as well. It was nice seeing Vito's past leading up to the first movie and watching Michael lose the people he loved in his life as he pursued power. Kinda being the opposite of his dad in a way. Didn't quite enjoy it as much as the first, but it was still a fine film.

The Godfather Part III: HOLY SHIT. What happened to this film? I heard it wasn't as good as the first two, but I didn't think it was going to be that bad.

You wanna know how bad it was?
When Vito died in the first film, I cried. When Michael died in this film, I laughed.

• Feels
Reactions: Ineedahero

Liber Pater

@Rat Speaker did nothing wrong. Lang Gang
kiwifarms.net
I am in the process of watching the anime adaptation of Urusei Yatsura (and the associated movies) all the way through, and am actually really enjoying it despite not being a huge anime person.
Also, Tiger King.

Hugbox Kommissar

You wouldn't download an ideology
kiwifarms.net
If you're interested in seeing the mirror universe versions of Acts of Valor/Battleship/13 Hours aka entertaining but extremely patriotic, jingoistic advertisements for the military and all their shiny gadgets, check out Operation: Mekong and Operation: Red Sea for the Chinese film industry's best effort at glorifying the PLA. Special shout out to Red Sea for portraying the Chinese navy as an actual functioning blue water navy.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you're interested in seeing the mirror universe versions of Acts of Valor/Battleship/13 Hours aka entertaining but extremely patriotic, jingoistic advertisements for the military and all their shiny gadgets, check out Operation: Mekong and Operation: Red Sea for the Chinese film industry's best effort at glorifying the PLA. Special shout out to Red Sea for portraying the Chinese navy as an actual functioning blue water navy.
I remember seeing posters for those films a few years ago in one of my local Chinatowns. Always wondered if they were worth a watch.

Something else along those lines is "Wolf Warrior 2", which gives the same patriotic, action movie treatment to Chinese neo-colonialism in Subsaharan Africa. Something like Empire of Dust (aka "it's all so tiresome"), but with improbable car chases and firefights and Chinese heroes saving the helpless Africans from evil Western mercenaries.

• Informative
Reactions: Ineedahero

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
The Pluto TV mobile app and internet website has a channel dedicated to airing Baywatch 24/7. And now its available to watch if you have Amazon Prime.

albert chan

I am a beautiful dark twisted kiwi
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m watching Brazil, and I find it was fascinating that Terry Gilliam directed this, while also creating Monty Python’s Flying Circus. It goes to show that he has some diverse talent.

It’s pretty rare these days.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Testament (1983): Of all the early 1980s post-apocalyptic movies (Red Dawn, Mad Max 2, Threads, The Day After, etc.) this is definitely the most downcast and depressing. It's basically On the Beach set in rural California. Nuclear war breaks out and the residents of a small town are spared outright destruction, but have to start dealing with stuff like fallout, no power from EMPs, famine, lack of water, etc. It has a young Kevin Costner and Rebecca De Mornay and Mako from Avatar: The Last Airbender playing the doomed townsfolk. Jane Alexander plays the matriarch of a family who has to watch her children die off one by one from radiation poisoning. Not exactly a movie that makes you want to go out and dance a jig.

Tags
None