Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Back to back watching

Kiss Me, Deadly the Hollywood Liberal putdown of popular author Mickey Spillane that accidentally turned into a noir classic - as covered in Mickey Spillane on Screen: A Complete Study of the Television and Film Adaptations, co-written by crime fiction author, friend and sometimes collaborator Max Allan Collins (Road to Perdition, the Quarry series, etc.) , that despite the films attempt to denigrate and show why the audience should despise the character of Mike Hammer, their attempt went wildly astray and the film was condemned by the Legion of Decency:

Despite Aldrich and Bezzerides conceiving the film as a denunciation of Spillane, Kiss Me Deadly evokes Spillane’s (if not Mike Hammer’s) bizarre vision of the universe as none of the other films do.

The hyper-realism of the film work, the brutality resorted when, apparently deciding their Mike Hammer won't carry a gun, the creators have Ralph Meeker's Hammer (a good choice despite Spillane's objections) throw a punk who has been trailing him against a wall then down a flight of concrete stairs, or get an unwilling witness to tell him what he wants to know by smashing his prized opera 78s one by one, or slamming a coroner's fingers in a drawer after the man demands a bigger bribe, and Gaby Rogers as the most fatal femme fatale in noir film.

The Girl Hunters, another adaption of a Mike Hammer novel and Spillane's revenge for the satirical approach taken in Kiss Me, Deadly - Manhattan exteriors and interiors shot in England, due to his financers being there. He decided the only actor to go with was himself, playing himself straight and utterly un-ironic, and he’s actually pretty good, I think. He swans about various locales, interacting with friends like forgotten columnist Hy Gardner (as himself...badly), who informs him that he hates those "commie punks" as much as Hammer does. The "justice" he doles out is more literal but just as violent as the "ironic" violence of KM,D.

Niggernerd

Hol up *siiiiiiiiip* nigga
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Been on a ching chong zombie binge recently
Movie: Train to Busan
About a workaholic who is never there for his daughter. Daughter is upset and wants to be with her mom for her birthday so they head to the train station. While on the train a zombie outbreak happens in and out of the train.

Has some really subtle commentary about Korean (or asian in general) society.
And the main protagonist has good character change throughout the movie.
The zombies are more brutal than the infected in 28 days/weeks later and the fact the majority takes place in a train seems more dire and anxious due to being confide in a closed space.

Kingdom: Korean action horror show about a prince who is being ousted by his step mother and her father after the king falls ill. At the same time there is a plague going around infecting people and making them eat flesh. (Trying not to spoil anything on how it happened)

Reactions: Ndnd

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Recently watching Dark And Stormy Night, a 2009 release directed by Larry Blamire, who directed the affectionate spoof of various low-rent 1950s movies, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra , as well as the sequel The Lost Skeleton Returns Again, which was more a parody of low-budget thrillers set in the 'jungle' i.e. lots of stock footage, and the science gone awry early 1960s color film Trail of the Screaming Forehead. For me, these films wouldn't work if they were just movies sneering at the expense of incompetent films from the 50s and 60s, like a lot of those sorts of "parodies" do because it's very easy to feel superior to people who were making cheap fodder for showings at drive-ins, and usually such send ups seem to be made by people with only the thinnest acquaintance with their subjects.

Dark And Stormy Night is a parody of the "old dark house" pictures from the 1920s, 30s, and 40s, films like The Bat (1925), The Cat and the Canary (1927), based on a stage play by John Willard, and The Old Dark House (1932). Whodunnit mysteries with tinges of horror, some leaning to comedy as well as outright spoofs of this sub-genre.

Other titles include The Secret of the Blue Room, One Frightened Night, The Phantom of Crestwood , The Terror, Night Monster, The Door with Seven Locks, Horror Island and so on.
Common features include a group of strangers having to spend the night in a house, mansion or castle, like stranded travelers or a gathering for a will reading.
Some sort of killer or madman on the loose, or a creature like a gorilla or a dog. Secret passages, and more, quite a bit of variety actually, as well as parodies like Abbot & Costello's Hold That Ghost! or Bob Hope starring in a comedic remake of The Cat and the Canary.

Blamire's film takes several different elements inspired by various films and puts them in the same film, as family members and others are gathered one night at the Cavinder mansion, in the Cavinder Moors, for the reading of Sinus Cavinder's will, on the anniversary of his passing (similar to The Cat and the Canary), including two bickering reporters and a cab driver who just wanted his thirty-five cents in fare, before the bridge that leads to the mansion goes out. Cavinder swore he would return for vengeance, the stories go. Exposition reveals that not only did Uncle Sinus plan to come back, but that witch Sarah Cavinder–who was burned at the stake 300 years ago–foretold her own return on the very same night. Also, there have "been a string of, I guess you could call them...strangulation murders" near the estate. Also, it turns out a murder has escaped from a local asylum.

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
The Guest (2014)
This was really well received at a recent Kiwi Farms Movie Night so I've decided to recommend this to everyone.
8100Fpn7qpL._SX342_.jpg

A family whose soldier son recently died get visited by a man who served with him.
He charms them and they decide to let him stay a few days since he has no place to go.
He attempts to improve their lives and that's when things get crazy.
the-guest-again.jpg

Good visuals, good music, good acting and an intriguing story, not to mention a lot of entertainment.
The lead, Dan Stevens, steals the show, he's amazing. You might know him as the lead in the TV series Legion.
He's a future superstar and this movie makes this pretty clear.
file_598086_guest-trailer-09172014-154339.jpg

I won't say anything more because that would ruin the fun.
DON'T WATCH THE TRAILERS! THEY SPOIL TOO MUCH!
JUST WATCH IT! YOU'LL LOVE IT!

Hugbox Kommissar

You wouldn't download an ideology
kiwifarms.net
Wind River. Modern western murder mystery set in a Wyoming Indian reservation. Surprisingly even-handed take on whites v Indians issues. Directed by the same guy who did Sicario and Hell or High Water so I hope you like your vistas windswept and your violence abrupt.

• Agree
Reactions: CWCissey

Commander X

kiwifarms.net

A crazy film, Bronson in a Western that is also a Melville-flavored monster movie, and it's Captain Ahab is none other than Wild Bill Hickok.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
More Bronson, in the crime thriller St. Ives. Based on the third novel, The Procane Chronicle, in a series by veteran writer Ross Thomas (as Oliver Bleeck) about Philip St. Ives, a former crime reporter who quit his job to devote time to writing The Great American Novel. Due to writer's block and gambling debts he often takes on jobs as a professional middleman, a go-between who works to negotiate the return of everything from stolen property to kidnap victims from bad guys, while trying to keep his hands relatively clean.

Adapted with some liberties taken with the source, Bronson plays "Raymond" St. Ives, living in a dump of a hotel while still driving around in his Jaguar, a man who is in need of money. His agent gets him yet another job as a go-between; wealthy Bel-Air resident and silent film fan Abner Procane (John Houseman) has had five leather-bound journals stolen and they are being ransomed for $100,000 and if St. Ives successfully negotiates for their return he will get a fee of 10% of that. Nothing goes right, of course. Including getting jumped in an old building by three hoods, two of them played by Robert Englund and Jeff Goldblum.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Cast Iron Pan

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
I'm looking for an 60's 70's documentary about an African special police unit. I"m pretty sure it's either Rhodesia or South AFrica, and one of the scenes has them respond to a bank robbery type of crime, digging up ak-47s from the dirt, shooting them and blowing them up, and the selection process. If it helps, i think this team picked both white and blacks who passed selection.

• Feels
Reactions: millais

horrorfan89

Resident Master of the dark and all things macabre
kiwifarms.net
Dredds a good movie that really should have gotten a sequel. I've never read the judge dredd comics but I like the more gritty and dark tone the movie takes in contrast to the lighter more cheesy tone of the Stallone movie.

I do like the Stallone movie BTW but it's like this. If the 90s judge dredd was inspired by the Tim Burton batman than the 2012 dredd was inspired by the Chris Nolan batman

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm looking for an 60's 70's documentary about an African special police unit. I"m pretty sure it's either Rhodesia or South AFrica, and one of the scenes has them respond to a bank robbery type of crime, digging up ak-47s from the dirt, shooting them and blowing them up, and the selection process. If it helps, i think this team picked both white and blacks who passed selection.
You're certain it's 1970s? There's a couple of popular documentaries on roughly the same subject from the mid-1990s, concerning the South African Police Service's Special Task Force. Bank holdup/hostage situation, training/selection process etc, etc.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net

Bronson again, as a drifting boxer who fights in illegal matches during the Depression, with James Coburn as as a gambler who becomes his manager. It's a very spare and stripped down film - Bronson often communicates more with his facial expressions than any words. Also, Walter Hill's debut film as a director.

Last edited:

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
You're certain it's 1970s? There's a couple of popular documentaries on roughly the same subject from the mid-1990s, concerning the South African Police Service's Special Task Force. Bank holdup/hostage situation, training/selection process etc, etc.
You're right, it was the 90's documentary.

This has the bank robbery scene i remembered. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cast Iron Pan
I dunno if I am late on this, but there is a show called After Life on netflix, 2 seasons.

It is about a British Gentleman going through his wife's death after a battle with cancer. Not to power level too much, I lost the love of my life in a car accident and..well this show is if I said most of the things I thought in my head.

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Way of the Gun was already mentioned like 3 years ago in this thread but I need to recommend it. It's one of my favorite movies. The dialogue is unpretentious which is perfect for the setting and there is so much meaning in the various actions characters take, it really rewards multiple viewings. It was written by Christopher McQuarrie of The Usual Suspects fame, and he brought his SEAL brother on as a weapons and tactics advisor, so the shootouts (except for the final one, on purpose) are very tactical and weighty. The gun play alone is super detailed, there are scenes where you can tell someone's intent or facade of intent by their trigger discipline.

The basic premise of the story is our leads Parker and Longbaugh are nomadic career criminals. They drive from city to city acting as hired guns and staying off the grid. They're at a sperm bank donating for cash when they overhear a surrogate mother is getting paid a million for having a guy's kid.

Let's look at this scene where an old mob bag man, Joe Sarno, confronts one of our leads. At this point Parker and Longbaugh have successfully kidnapped Robin (the surrogate), driven over the border to Mexico and have contacted the old money launderer who was going to pay Robin to have his kid so his trophy wife didn't have to:

"One's backfire, three's gun play"
This means that Joe Sarno understands he startled Longbaugh but won't forgive another mistake, obviously. But this is part of his presentation as an attempt to intimidate Longbaugh and his partner Parker into a deal. He goes on to make it clear that even if the deal goes through, Parker and Longbaugh have pissed off a well connected guy and aren't getting out of this alive, even if it takes a year or two to track them down. This is recapping the obvious, but that is a key element in organized crime dealings: we're getting what we want, it doesn't matter what you do. You can roll over for us or we can take things by force, it's your call.

Sarno invites Longbaugh into the diner for more conversation and bonds with him. They mock the "mall ninja" stereotype of guys who are obsessed with gear and nomenclature and getting into a job that requires gunplay to feel cool. They can bond over this because previously in the movie, Sarno has already had conflict with the bodyguard detail that was assigned to protect Robin. Everyone in the bodyguard detail is like this, they talk in this overly formal way that anyone who's familiar with the gun community would be familiar with, and they posture and talk but when push came to shove, Parker and Longbaugh killed 2 of the 4 guards like it was nothing, and after this scene ends, are going to wound another one and torture him for information.

So after Sarno and Longbaugh get coffee they go back outside and talk about escaping a life of crime. Both men admit they have no plans but then Sarno leans into the bombshell. He begins with his daughter trying to set something up and him being shaky on whether that will work out or not. Then he show Longbaugh his wallet, and we as the audience don't see this, but he explicitly shows Longbaugh the part of the wallet that would hold a picture: Robin is Joe Sarno's daughter and now Longbaugh knows Sarno isn't fucking around. Either Sarno's going to die, or Parker and Longbaugh are going to die and he's going to get his daughter back.

All of the character and dialogue work in this movie are fucking masterful, I adore it. That was just one scene, and I didn't even cover everything in there. When Joe Sarno says "adjudicate", that wasn't really a word he used until he ran into the pretentious bodyguards, who used it in conversation at the launderer's McMansion, so that adds to his mockery of these young guys who are peacocking around in their suits with their overpriced USPs and walkie talkies when real "workmen" like Sarno and Longbaugh use older style equipment and come out on top due to raw experience.

SERIOUSLY FUCKING WATCH WAY OF THE GUN IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD GOD DAMN