Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

PurpleEater

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1368793

Why didn’t this movie win best picture instead of Parasite?
Thank you for reminding me to watch this one. I do think Parasite skated that perfect line between accessible Hollywood fodder and high-quality indie arthouse film, which is partly what drove its success. There was nothing "quiet" about that movie, but it was unique while still speaking directly to class issues, which we so rarely see now especially in SJW-oriented films.

Speaking of Asian cinema, I suggest Audition, Ichi the Killer and The Handmaiden. The Asians aren't afraid to go full-throttle.

And speaking of horrifying, if you've got a really strong stomach for extra-depressing World War II movies involving kids, the two most disturbing I've seen that also are likely among the most "realistic" about war and human depravity are The Painted Bird and the excellent, lesser-known Soviet War film Come and See.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
A movie I haven't seen brought up in this thread is The Babadook. It's one of the more interesting modern horror movies in that it seems to be meant to be interpreted in a bunch of different ways. The monster is very well done, and what it seems to be about changes from scene to scene and character to character. It can get a little cheesy, but I highly recommend it anyways.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I watched My Friend Dahmer last night. It was surprisingly good, even if I disliked some of the changes from the novel that I assume were to make it more cinematic (like Dahmer trying to kill Derf and killing a squirrel, because iirc he said he didn't kill any animals as a kid). I don't know why Ross Lynch doesn't get more roles, because he was very, very good as Dahmer.

albertbrown26

#1 Bill Hicks fan
kiwifarms.net
The last few weeks of June had me watching some South Korean movies that were based on a true story:

DAE218C0-34CA-410F-B104-EF2FFEE6565C.jpeg4AA12773-55C8-4644-8519-BE62AB53D78D.jpeg2D352657-7100-4A00-896F-19BF7EBDBE03.jpeg

The second one will have a lot of people shocked that the guy who played the husband in Parasite starred in a few movies just liked this one.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
This was probably mentioned before but i'd recommend The Wire seasons 1-3.
It portrays both the police and gangs fairly, you'll probably get some sympathy for the devil while watching.
You can probably skip the romance/slice of life parts from the police side, they are not really important or particularly engaging.
etwgs.jpg

albertbrown26

#1 Bill Hicks fan
kiwifarms.net
This was probably mentioned before but i'd recommend The Wire seasons 1-3.
It portrays both the police and gangs fairly, you'll probably get some sympathy for the devil while watching.
You can probably skip the romance/slice of life parts from the police side, they are not really important or particularly engaging.
View attachment 1456669
Season 4 is considered to be the one of the best seasons in TV history.
It gives Breaking Bad a run for its money.

• Agree
Reactions: Damien Thorne

Damien Thorne

kiwifarms.net
I just watched Otto Preminger’s Exodus earlier today. The best part about it is that the dialogue still sounds fairly modern even though the film itself was released in 1960. There is a certain timelessness captured in the screenplay.

Dysnomia

Party like it's COVID-1999
kiwifarms.net
I recently saw Snowpiercer on Netflix. It's the post-apocalyptic movie where the last of humanity lives on a very classist train. It was a pretty good movie. But I didn't care for MC much.

Curtis feels like a non-character mostly. Maybe that's so the viewer can self insert themselves into him. But I found him bland and not very interesting. I didn't care if he died or not. And when he didn't make it to the end I was not very affected. Tanya, Edgar and Namgoong were all better characters. Tanya had the most motivation since her son was kidnapped for slave labor. I really liked her and was disappointed at how underused she was.

I thought some scenes, like the fight in the dark with those masked guys, were just too long and took away from time for more interesting scenes.

Curtis has barely any character development until the big reveal at the end where he tells his story. When everyone in the back cars were starving he killed Edgar's mother and was going to eat him. But the old man cuts off a limb and offers it in order to stop the carnage. After that Curtis felt responsible for Edgar. And it explains why he isn't comfortable with Edgar following him around and wanting to be like him. But I felt like it was too little too late and his character just wasn't that good for the role he was being set up for by the guy who runs the train.

I guess it isn't a big deal. But I liked the other characters a lot more and I have to wonder what ended up on the cutting room floor.

In the end everyone but Timmy and Yona die. I can't see anyone else surviving that crash. Namgoong said he thought the snow was melting. Maybe there are people out there and they will find them. Otherwise what is the point of still living in a wasteland? Oh well. There's a polar bear. So it was a lie that all life was wiped out.

• Feels
Reactions: millais

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Watchmen the ultimate cut. Before joker watchmen was probably the best r rated superhero movie ever made and the ultimate director's cut is a perfect translation of the book to film. Also with the hindsight of the god awful HBO show and how it bastardized the watchmen name...as bad as Zach Snyder is as a director at least he understands and appreciated the source material.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
A goofy but sleek sci-fi thriller from Michael Crichton, who wrote and directed it - 1981's Looker, starring Albert Finney, James Coburn and Susan Dey. A plastic surgeon learns that some of his patients, fashion models, have been "committing suicide" and learns that the corporation that offered them lucrative contracts to have their bodies scanned digitally to create 3D computer-generated likenesses might have something to do with it. From what I've heard, some say the thriller elements were studio enforced and that Crichton was more interested in making a satire about advertising and obsessions related to it, but oh well.

It's an interesting look into an early vision of Augmented Reality. For some reason back then, they thought it would be easier to digitize the human form/create computer generated actors than it would be to digitize objects and settings. In truth, the first movie to use a sizable amount of CG (Tron), computer generated the setting and used composited live actor footage.

Looker is especially interesting because it points to what will almost certainly be a future problem - actors being digitized and having their likenesses used with or without their consent. It's also possible that actors will be generated using nothing but algoritms. Macross Plus is an anime about a computer generated singer that gives hologram concerts in the far future. The machine that runs the hologram however, needs to be hooked up to a human woman in order to act more natural. Trouble ensues when the computer generated singer falls in love with the human woman's boyfriend, thanks to the psychic link between her and the woman (who broke up with the boyfriend but still has feelings for him.) Yes it's an animu with a love triangle; (two of 'em in fact.) But it has some cool visuals and I'll all for speculative fiction about the nature of future entertainment. I loved Dennou Coil as well (it's another anime that deals with Augmented Reality), but that series really seems to have fallen way off the radar.

• Informative
Reactions: millais

Intensening Rapeye

Duke
kiwifarms.net
Watchmen the ultimate cut. Before joker watchmen was probably the best r rated superhero movie ever made and the ultimate director's cut is a perfect translation of the book to film. Also with the hindsight of the god awful HBO show and how it bastardized the watchmen name...as bad as Zach Snyder is as a director at least he understands and appreciated the source material.
Yeah he does. It's still awesome to look at, and hasn't aged badly everyway else. Hopefully releasing of Justice League on HBO could be incredibly cathartic for Zank.

Ciscoipphone

They're GRRREAT!!
kiwifarms.net
Dark

It's a german spooky tv-show.

Les Rivières Pourpres & Les Rivières pourpres II: Les anges de l'apocalypse

French psychological thrillers starring Jean mothereffing Reno.

The first is by far the best, but the second is worth a watch too, since it's basically about Ninja Monks on amphetamines.
Season 3 was mind blowing

• Agree
Reactions: CWCissey

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That Empire Of Dust documentary still doesn’t get old.
Although, I wonder if anyone here has seen Africa Addio.
Africa Addio is the new Empire of Dust. For a few years now, it's been getting a bunch of HD uploads and mirrors all over the place, racking up lots of views.

• Informative
Reactions: albertbrown26

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
Most Wanted was surprisingly good. Think White Boy Ricky, another film I'd recommend, but more about incompetence and Canada. The basic idea is that this junkie is essentially used as a scapegoat because some glowniggers don't want to admit they were wrong.
Surprisingly, the best part was Jim Gaffigan playing this crazy and hilarious drug dealer who flips between genuinely psychotic and just goofy so well that he steals every scene he's in.
It's a good watch, especially if you enjoy movies about government conspiracy.

Tags
None