Movie & TV Show Recommendations -

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I've been rewatching Hercules The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess the last couple of weeks. I've got one season to go with both.

Generally, both shows are entertaining and fun adventure shows. Hercules is consistently a fun and solid show and rarely goes above or below that. Xena feels like it took more risks, which creates a more exciting feel overall, even when those risks don't pay off (I wasn't a fan of the musical episode).

Both shows have over the top goofiness on display, which can be fun, but can also go a tad too far at points. There are also anachronistic elements and language that creep in that I'm not overly fond of, but it didn't detract too much.

My favorite points thus far have been the first two seasons of Xena, when there was the highest level of discovery and fun mixed with badassery, and the first half of Season 5 of Hercules, when they started working in Norse and Celtic mythology.

The casting in these shows is generally really good, but Lucy Lawless really takes the cake. She turned out to be a golden find for the show. She takes situations that are ridiculous (like Xena multiple identical lookalikes) and plays everything to the hilt, and is just a joy to watch.

Last edited:

Slimy Time

Read 'em and weep
kiwifarms.net
Watching the infamous season 2 of The Island with Bear Grylls. They take 2 groups of 14 people, one male, one female, and put them on separate tropical islands for 6 weeks during storm season to survive with 2 days survival training and basic gear. Both are perfect examples of male vs female social interaction and how they work together (or don't). It's so stereotypical in the way each group behaves that I just find it funny. I'm only 2 episodes in, but if you want to watch a bunch of whinging, whining Brits being absolutely fucking miserable, out of their depth and acting in the most gender stereotypical manner, I recommend it.

Male group get on shore and immediately have one alpha male building project manager naturally show leadership qualities, immediately marches the group to the other side to a beach where they camp out, he pisses some people off by being blunt and pushing them, but it pays off. Next day they divide up tasks, finding food and starting a fire. They get a bit of food, start a fire, a tropical storm comes in and they save the fire. They can now boil water so drinking water is now taken care of. Now they have to build a shelter or else face getting soaked and not getting any sleep. All the while this happens, the other, older, boomer builder of the group starts butting heads with the building project manager in a case of two Alpha males (or one Alpha and one Beta) clashing to the point it starts to fracture the group and both builders are threatening to quit. In addition, there is one wet drip of a recent graduate who wants to bail on them after 4 days. Alpha male leader decides to leave with graduate, boomer builder stays. The two become upset when the group basically tells them to fuck off and get out of their way.

Female group are far more entertaining. They get on shore and immediately all have a 15 minute chat on the shore, still halfway in the water. Even Bear, who dropped them off is going "they need to get a move on before it gets dark". They spend even more time taking the piss (literally and figuratively) till about 2 hours before it goes dark before they finally start to make a move. It immediately becomes a democracy or volunteering with decision making. One of them gets appointed navigator and told "we will follow wherever you go". One of them spots a snake, immediately starts shrieking and running away, being melodramatic. Eventually it starts to get dark/forest thicker, and they camp in the forest. They manage to make a fire once it stops raining and celebrate.

They then, though a democratic process, decide to split into two groups. 1 stay at the camp, other goes to look for the beach. The beach hunters go without any water, exposed to the elements. They return back to the group, people are crying, they sleep on the same place again. One quits and they are out of water. They split up again, following a forester going in a straight line, the advance party finds the beach, spend their time swimming in the water, only for it to get dark and are forced to sleep there without shelter. It also rains at 3am, ending their fire and making all wood wet. Advance party find a permanent camp with water source, but have to abandon it to go back and fetch the others...they get lost. Base camp start going at each other's throats.

Top tier entertainment, would recommend.

Last edited:

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
So i am not sure if it had been mentioned but if you like trippy stuff i suggest watching these three by Alexandro Jodorowsky: The Holy Mountain, El Topo , Santa Sangre.
Extra points if you watch any of those in one go, without looking at any synopsis, trailers or spoilers, just find the movie and watch it beginning to end. Also Jodorowsky's Dune is a very inspiring documentary about the guy.

Also, in nippon besto animation i recommend Cat Soup, Genius Party, Neo Tokyo, Robot Carnival and Mind Game. Belladonna of sadness and a personal favorite of mine: Angels egg.
An amazing and under appreciated western animation film is the Thief and the Cobbler, a passion project by a guy Disney rolled over with Aladdin,i suggest reading a bit on the story of the production, there are like 4 cuts because technically the movie was never finished, it was a very ambitious project with not that much budget.

Other cool aesthetic movies: City of Lost Children, Seventh Seal , Kwaidan. If you manage to find it please watch The Devils from 1971, a hidden gem that was banned from pretty much everywhere but is a really cool film, theres also different cuts, i forget which is the good one.

Last edited:

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Also, in nippon besto animation i recommend Cat Soup, Genius Party, Neo Tokyo, Robot Carnival and Mind Game. Belladonna of sadness and a personal favorite of mine: Angels egg.
An amazing and under appreciated western animation film is the Thief and the Cobbler, a passion project by a guy Disney rolled over with Aladdin,i suggest reading a bit on the story of the production, there are like 4 cuts because technically the movie was never finished, it was a very ambitious project with not that much budget.
It wasn't the budget that kept Thief and the Cobbler from being finished. It was the fact that Richard Williams considered it his masterpiece and kept expanding the scope of the film until it lost all sense of pacing and was an overproduced mess. Williams would have been able to finish it just fine if he had been able to rein himself in. Granted, there's animated sections of the film that look like they would have required CG to make today, but it only goes to prove that the greatness of the film lay not in its story or design, but in its creator's ability to devote long years of busywork to making things that could've been animated in two months with the aid of a computer.

K. V. Bones

Racism Entrepreneur
kiwifarms.net
The most underrated Cartoon of all time is Dan Vs., i have no idea how something so sardonic made it past the internets grasp.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
It wasn't the budget that kept Thief and the Cobbler from being finished. It was the fact that Richard Williams considered it his masterpiece and kept expanding the scope of the film until it lost all sense of pacing and was an overproduced mess. Williams would have been able to finish it just fine if he had been able to rein himself in. Granted, there's animated sections of the film that look like they would have required CG to make today, but it only goes to prove that the greatness of the film lay not in its story or design, but in its creator's ability to devote long years of busywork to making things that could've been animated in two months with the aid of a computer.
i would contest that, i think its a great looking movie and i love the design and visuals. The production also started in the 60s when computer graphics were not a thing, so all the autismo was justified as he was just doing what he considered the most advanced with the techniques available at the time. Was he was doing was really impresive, just was way out of scope

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Grindhouse DYI gnarly hardcore action film "Deadbeat At Dawn" from 1989. Filmed and set in the Midwestern industrial sprawl of Dayton, Ohio.

Goose, leader of a street gang called the Ravens decides to quit the life and run off with his girlfriend after one last job, but two members of his gang's hated rivals, the Spiders, break into his apartment and murder his girlfriend setting him off on a violent rampage through a low budget movie with that scuzzy home video feel, but the vibe is infectious.

Plus, there's the Spiders' most insane member, Bonecrusher, who in one scene goes on an amyl nitrate-fueled rant/soliloquy about how much he enjoys killing people.

hr.jpg

Reactions: albertbrown26

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
i would contest that, i think its a great looking movie and i love the design and visuals. The production also started in the 60s when computer graphics were not a thing, so all the autismo was justified as he was just doing what he considered the most advanced with the techniques available at the time. Was he was doing was really impresive, just was way out of scope
I know that computers weren't a thing back when he started the movie, and its impressive that he was able to do what he did at that time. It's just sad that he had devoted so much time to the autismo work, that by the time he'd finished most of it, the technology had been developed that would have made it a lot easier for him, had it been around when he started.

albertbrown26

#1 Bill Hicks fan
kiwifarms.net
Watching old Looney Tunes episodes made me realize that they predicted Internet memes before the Internet existed. We should replace all news programming and social media platforms with 24/7 Looney Tunes programming.

cuÞbert

kiwifarms.net
It had mixed reviews on launch and Beinoff of "Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet" infamy did the screenplay, but I rather like Troy from 2004. I think its because it feels like an old movie from the 60s. Its not hyper desaturated like most movies today. Extremely colorful. Scenes like when Hector discovers that Paris kidnapped Helen or during the initial beach landing stick with me years later for their cinematographic value; the bright blue sea and the yellow sun shining on the temple of Apollo...
I also rather liked Hector's performance. Especially when he's shitting on Paris.

However, Helen left much to be desired as a beauty. To be fair though, the only depiction of Helen that made me think "yep, willing to have my city genocided" was her historically authentic rendition in the graphic novel Age of Bronze.
Age_of_Bronze_Vol_1_7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RockPaper

RockPaper

kiwifarms.net
It had mixed reviews on launch and Beinoff of "Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet" infamy did the screenplay, but I rather like Troy from 2004. I think its because it feels like an old movie from the 60s.
I like Troy a lot. I agree it feels like a 60's sword-and-sandal epic.

Cox's scenery-chewing Agamemnon is great, and there's a lot of other good things in it that I like. Peter O'Toole was still acting circles around people even in his decrepitude. Everybody knows a responsible good guy (like Hector) who has to try to clean up the mess made by one of his thoughtless and stupid relations (Paris). With predictable tragic consequences.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is Brad Pitt gives kind of a weak performance for such an important character. He's just "meh", where everybody else is a notch above. Achilles is a great bad-ass anyway, so it's not fatal.

And to be honest, another important reason to sing it's praises is The Iliad is arguably the Ur-story of Western Civilization. We should know about it, we should teach it, we should preserve it like a family treasure. Even in its big-budget screen-fest incarnations. It matters. Especially against the screaming idiots who want to tear it down, then minimize it, and then insure that it's forgotten. I don't feel like letting them win.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've just finished The Rain. It's a Danish post apocalyptic series about a virus that wipes out Scandinavia that's transmitted in the rain, the ending is a bit naff, but it is a pretty good little series up to that.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
The 1962 film adaption of Kurotokage based on a successful 1961 theatrical adaption of a 1934 novel by Japanese mystery author Edogawa Ranpo. Directed by Umetsugu Inoue, who had directed a string of high-energy musicals for Nikkatsu Studios in the 1950s, and later directed films for Shaw Brothers studios. The theatrical adaption was penned by none other than Yukio Mishima (who had a brief cameo in the somewhat more famous 1968 film adaption directed by Kinji Fukasaku).

In the film, the female criminal mastermind Black Lizard, played by Machiko Kyo of Rashamon fame, plots to kidnap the daughter of a wealthy jeweler, as part of a plot to get her hands on the "Star of Egypt" a valuable gem he can't stop boasting about being in his possession. Black Lizard's primary motive is not monetary gain but her lust for beauty and the beauty of gems does not fade, alas unlike that of people.

bh5re3.png

The jeweler calls in Japan's best private eye, Ranpo's creation Kogoro Akechi (Minoru Oki) , who opens the movie with a spotlit monologue about how he admires artistic crimes, while showing off his disguises. It's a very flamboyant movie, complete with hidden lairs out of spy movies, flashy disguises, sudden outbursts of music and dance, as Akechi and Black Lizard play cat and mouse, each one intrigued and admiring the other's acumen, wondering what they'll do at the end of this caper, each vowing to be victorious.

In an early part of the movie, Akechi manages to foil a plan to kidnap the jeweler's daughter, but Black Lizard gets away by dressing up in men's clothes and casually walking out of the hotel...no, wait, she does a song and dance bit while talking to the audience.

bdle3t.jpg

KWky-H.jpg

XkAEBx.jpg

kXoAA8qn.jpg

5gret4s.png

Tags
None