Movie & TV Show Recommendations

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Ongoing DDoS attack. kiwifarms.ru may work better for now.

JamesFargo

Saying "oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
I finished watching Forever Knight. I like off-beat shows from the 90s. Angel shares a lot of similarities with this and the Highlander TV series. Trivia: Knight and Highlander didn't hide the fact that they are set in the pacific northwest.

Geraint-Wyn-Davies-Forever-Knight-Vampire-Detective-Original.jpg

This show had a high turnover of actors. The two constants are Gwight Winn Davies (Rick Springfield starred in the pilot movie) and Catherine Disher (who you will recognize from the original RE3).

Most fans praise Nigel Bennett as the unapologetic vampire. But the way he constantly shows up in flashbacks gets unintentionally hilarious after awhile. When Nick gets shot by some cowpoke in the Old West, I vowed to quit watching if LaCroix turned up in a ten gallon hat. Lo and behold...

Last edited:

JamesFargo

kiwifarms.net
Equalizer 2. The continuing adventures of John Creasy Robert McCall.

Trivia: Equalizer is a remake. So, too, is Man on Fire; based on an '87 film.

Screenshot_20210707-024950_cropped.png

This is more or less the same movie as the first. The emotional beats are still very good. There is more violence.

What's lacking is a really good villain. Pedro Pascal is a very wormy character. It's not his fault, it's his dialog. He invites comparisons to better films: not just to Marton Csokas (a far better foil to McCall), but to Dennis Hopper, James Caan, Jon Voight... a host of disgruntled ex-government types. His wussy henchmen are even more forgettable. It looks like they went for a Replacement Killers vibe. But nobody stands out like Trejo or Duk Kim did.

Last edited:

albert the programmer

Computer programmer at work
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The insane part about today was that I was reminiscing about wanting to watch The Whitest Kids U Know in full again, since it’s been a while since I heard about them first time back in middle school.

Fast forward to today, I just found out Trevor Moore passed away hours after posting this now.

Last edited:

The Man Comes Around

I like traps, bagels and lifting. Sue me
kiwifarms.net
Fargo (both the series and film) is my favourite crime drama of all time and I highly recommend it to both fans of the genre and those who aren't as I believe there's something in it for everyone (as long as you're not expecting a wholesome family friendly watch)

Both are fantastic but I have more to say about the series so I'll focus on that, just know that my description and praises ring true for the original film of the same name as well. The show follows a serialised anthology format, what I mean is that each season is its' own (mostly) self contained story with all plot threads being resolved or at least left satisfyingly ambiguous by the end of the final episode. Each season is also set at a different point in time ranging from the early 2010s to the early 1950s though it does not progress chronologically (an example being season 2 being set in 1978 and season 4 in 1950). The only things tying consecutive seasons together are a few characters and the show's greater setting: the American Midwest and it's many small towns and bustling cities.

Despite the shows dark themes and flagrant killing of characters, both major and minor, a touch of comedy (be it black, blue or biting social commentary) is never far off, a trait it shares with the Cohen Brother's film that inspired it. Speaking of, the film and show are a part of the same continuity with season 1 in particular carrying on with an important dangling plot thread left by the movie. I'd recommend you watch the movie first as it eases you into the world with the comparatively brisk story of a crime gone wrong but really it doesn't matter as both season one and the movie service each other in the same way regardless of your viewing order.

As for rankings, Seasons One, Two and the movie are by far the best though season three also has a couple standout characters and an amazing return to one of the show's prior plot points. Unfortunately, season four takes quite a dive as far as narrative and thematic cohesion goes but nonetheless it's still good and chock full of great performances. Just by Fargo standards I find it to be lacking. The good thing about the show's format is that you can watch a season, wait a while, and then continue with little to no catch up needed. Just don't take large breaks between episodes, things can get a little convoluted.

So yeah, if you're looking for a good watch that's captivating and charming with a nice serving of absurd unexplainable craziness, Fargo's for you. Happy watching forum goers!

JamesFargo

kiwifarms.net
Re-watched the Original Trilogy.

CG critters aren't as memorable as OT critters. Banthas, Jawas, Wampa, Rancor, Salacious Crumb... At least the green tiddy-milk is a practical effect. No wonder toy sales are down.

Best planet is still Bespin:

"It's not my fault!", "Here we go again." See? You can wink at the audience without grinding the story to a halt. It's telling that Oscar, John, and Benicio came out of ST smelling like roses: they aren't attached to the OT, so the Whedon/Sorkin dialog doesn't sound as weird coming from them.

Conclusion: Rian Johnson is either a) incredibly mean-spirited, or b) he had Kennedy on his back throughout the whole production, which would explain why TLJ felt like a Family Guy sketch at times.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I got an invite to an early online screening of CODA and I checked it out.

Basically, it is a coming of age story about a teenage girl that grows up as the only person in her family that can hear and she becomes torn between her love of singing and her responsibilities to her deaf family.

Honestly, I thought it was wonderful. The movie was well acted and written, and all the characters felt genuine and human. And the emotional payoffs were extremely satisfying.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just started a new series, a Dutch comedy called Toon.

It's about a socially awkward and struggling jingle writer who accidentally writes a mega hit at a birthday party his overbearing and pushy sister threw for him.

Just watched the first episode and it seems like a sweet little show.

Gaear Grimsrud

kiwifarms.net
Saw Don't Breathe 2.

It's not as good as the first, but It's enjoyable.

The Blind Man's turn from villain to anti-hero feels completely consistent with his character.

He's a morally complex character who's still capable of great violence, but he feels remorse for his past actions, and is now trying to protect someone he cares about from people even worse than he is.

Internet Explorer

this guy are sick
kiwifarms.net
One of the finest films I've seen in recent years is Three Billboards outside of Ebbing, Missouri. It's not very often that I watch something and find myself buying a physical copy of it, but that was a big exception to the rule. A movie as raw and guttural as that, with deeply complex characters against a bleak and dismal town that ends up tearing itself apart? Definitely deserving of a place in my DVD collection, alongside iconic cinema such as Rosemary's Baby and Seven Samurai.

Then there's all the crappy low budget schlock I love; hopelessly awful, entertaining garbage like Sharknado and Velocipastor. The most recent bargain bin film I watched was Wolfcop, which to be fair, is a terribly funny homage to the best and the worst the 80's had to offer. Also, I really fucking wish that this was a full length movie.

Sex Cannon Lupa

kiwifarms.net
Wild Mountain Thyme wasn't bad at all. The trailer got a lot of shit last year because of Emily Blunt's Irish accent but the internet is an evil place full of communist perverts so who cares what those godless demons think. It's a harmless romcom with a frigging hot Blunt in it and Christopher Walken and Jon Hamm Sandwich in fun little supporting roles.

"I have no purpose. I'm just a girl. The world is full of girls."

"Some of us don't have joy, but we do what we must. Is a man who does what he must but feels no pleasure less of a man than one who's happy?"

lol random profoundness out of nowhere

Last edited:

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
'71.

A British soldier is sent to Belfast on his first tour and is separated from his unit after a routine door to door raid turns into a full on riot. He then ends up running around Belfast trying to not get caught up in various factional fighting on both sides of the conflict.

Endorsed by an actual Norn Iron vet as the most accurate portrayal of The Troubles to be committed to film.

The Fraggle Queen

Turns out Doozers explode when you fuck them.
kiwifarms.net
Just went to see Censor at the cinema with Mr Fraggle. A really good movie, a mindfuck at parts, based around the UK video nasties scare of the 80s. We were the only people in the cinema screen to watch it which made it slightly more unsettling. It’s worth a watch, a great little indie flick.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I watched a pretty recent Dutch war film called "De Oost" about the failed 1945-1949 campaign to restore colonial rule in the Dutch East Indies. Production value is pretty good, story is serviceable. I have some reservations about the historical accuracy of the events depicted in the film, but I'm not especially well read on what happened during those years.