Movie & TV Show Recommendations

• Ongoing DDoS attack.

Sex Cannon Lupa

kiwifarms.net
I finally saw Songbird, the Michael Bay covid-23 movie. I can't wholeheartedly recommend it because it feels like a typical Netflix movie (underwritten and low budget) but it's not awful. I hesitate to call it baysed because it treats the wuflu like a real deadly disease, but it shows the government as brutally totalitarian with all the infected herded into what are basically death camps. There are also biometric bracelets that act as vaccine passports. There's also a weird final voiceover sucking the dicks of Amazon delivery drivers, so if someone wants to call this thing predictive programming I'm not going to dispute it.

Gaear Grimsrud

kiwifarms.net
Went to see Candyman today.

I thought it was kinda good, but not great.

It's the best sequel by default, because Candyman 2 and 3 are such boring, rote slashers with no ideas. I'll take ideas that are better in concept than on screen over no ideas at all.

If you have a low tolerance for woke shit, stay away. This movie has a message and it's NOT subtle about it. Candyman is portrayed here as some kind of avenger of blacks, which is not at all what he was in the original. The movie goes out of it's way to have only white people die by Candyman's hand.

The third act is very rushed as well, and there are plot threads that lead to nothing. I wonder if there's a longer cut of this.

And when Tony Todd finally makes an appearance I was like..."That was it?"

I wasn't impressed with the music either. Philip Glass's score from the original is instantly iconic and memorable, but I can't remember any of the music in this, except when they use the original theme.

I know I'm making it sound awful, but it's not all bad. There is some creepy stuff in here.

It doesn't touch the original. The first Candyman is great, and it's only gotten better as I've gotten older.

maxresdefaulti.jpg

Last edited:

cummytummies

kiwifarms.net
I watched Playtime (1967) last night. Great little movie. Not too long, doesn't really have a plot. It's just poking fun of the modern world from the perspective of the 1960s. A lot of similarities to Chaplin's Modern Times except a few decades later with new things to make fun of.

Gaear Grimsrud

kiwifarms.net

It's the best sequel by default, because Candyman 2 and 3 are such boring, rote slashers with no ideas. I'll take ideas that are better in concept than on screen over no ideas at all.

If you have a low tolerance for woke shit, stay away. This movie has a message and it's NOT subtle about it. Candyman is portrayed here as some kind of avenger of blacks, which is not at all what he was in the original. The movie goes out of it's way to have only white people die by Candyman's hand.

The third act is very rushed as well, and there are plot threads that lead to nothing. I wonder if there's a longer cut of this.

I wasn't impressed with the music either. Philip Glass's score from the original is instantly iconic and memorable, but I can't remember any of the music in this, except when they use the original theme.

I know I'm making it sound awful, but it's not all bad. There is some creepy stuff in here.

It doesn't touch the original. The first Candyman is great, and it's only gotten better as I've gotten older.

View attachment 2486233

Tony Todd's scene is on Youtube.

This is the final scene in the movie.

JamesFargo

Saying "oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
If your SO likes costume dramas: check out Poldark (1975). I think it's an improvement over the remake, even if the actors are more theatrical.

Poldark-Mar20-04-590.jpg

You can also see the budget in some places, but that just makes it funnier. This series has the worst "day for night" shots I've ever seen. The exterior of Ross' house looks like Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Watching the Sidney Pollack film The Yakuza, if it had been made in the 21st century it would be either full of stylish action or a neon-drenched neo-noir but instead it's a 70s crime film that patiently rolls along, punctuated by eruptions of mean violence.

Plus we get a couple of scenes of Robert Mitchum dual-wielding

A Grey Cat

Meow
kiwifarms.net
If your a fan of final destination I'd recommend checking out 1000 ways to die. Though not related in anyway 1k ways does cover a lot of the unusual ways people have died. Usually by being stupid, drunk, careless or unlucky. The deaths in 1k ways never get as over the top as final destinations but they do get pretty gruesome the makeup effects and x-ray of the body as it's injured are a neat touch.

However the show did air on spike in its awkward edgy 2000s years. And it does have moments every now and then that reflect that especially after season 1. I remember it was often aired after the show mansers...which I can't recommend.

Oh and skip the first two episodes and the sixth season. Ron pearlmam didn't start narrating till episode 3 and left the show in the 3rd season.

NotJewishWario

kiwifarms.net
If your a fan of final destination I'd recommend checking out 1000 ways to die. Though not related in anyway 1k ways does cover a lot of the unusual ways people have died. Usually by being stupid, drunk, careless or unlucky. The deaths in 1k ways never get as over the top as final destinations but they do get pretty gruesome the makeup effects and x-ray of the body as it's injured are a neat touch.

However the show did air on spike in its awkward edgy 2000s years. And it does have moments every now and then that reflect that especially after season 1. I remember it was often aired after the show mansers...which I can't recommend.

Oh and skip the first two episodes and the sixth season. Ron pearlmam didn't start narrating till episode 3 and left the show in the 3rd season.
I remember seeing a few episodes of this back in the day. It was also kinda popular around school cause every kid liked the funny deaths on the show.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
Some movies I watched over the weekend:

68AEBF1B-2AD7-4455-B91F-D79E5BE416C4.jpeg

This isn’t a good movie, but I nevertheless enjoyed seeing Nic Cage beating the shit out of possessed animatronic animals. Really, what drags it down are annoying, one-dimensional teenage characters that get in the way of the good stuff. If you’re looking for a trashy B-movie to riff on with your friends while drunk or high, I’d give this a watch.

Overall score: 5/10

5EC625B7-DD3B-450B-897C-52CE1C662E5D.jpeg

Pretty much exactly what the tag line describes. Not for the faint of heart, but if you can stomach some fucked-up shit, I’d give it a watch. Matthew McConaughey is great, and Gina Gershon and Juno Temple are both pretty hot.

Overall score: 7/10

AA2DDB2A-FC08-4718-90D4-BF25E8581573.jpeg

Not gonna lie, I was kinda disappointed with this movie. It’s got some cool visuals and practical effects, but I just couldn’t bring myself to care about any of the characters. Maybe it’s just that I expected more out of it due to being another psychedelic horror film starring Nicolas Cage (Mandy is one of my favorite films), but for whatever reason it just left me feeling cold.

Overall score: 4/10

49ED589E-7E6C-438B-A4F1-E5F117701A76.jpeg

Now this one I thought was good. I like movies that focus more on dialogue and characterization over plot, and the conversations in this one felt like me and my buddies just bullshitting and hanging out. It’s also a sort of unconventional romantic comedy in the way it ends, which I enjoyed. Makes me wish Kevin Smith’s head didn’t disappear up his own ass and reminds me that at one point, he was a talented filmmaker.

Overall score: 7/10

A Grey Cat

Meow
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2486233
sometime i wonder if they never should have race lifted candyman from clive barker's original story.

recomendation tax, Rob Zombie's firefly trilogy especially the devil's rejects. You defiantly see the man's evolution as a director from his first film house of 1000 corpses' to his latest 3 from hell. but even people who flat out hate Rob will admit Devil's rejects is his best film and the best part of the whole trilogy

AnOminous

Go Speed Racer Go!
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
but even people who flat out hate Rob will admit Devil's rejects is his best film and the best part of the whole trilogy
Devil's Rejects is one of my favorite films of all time.

Also if you like Luc Besson's films (Nikita and The Fifth Element), check out the nearly forgotten Le Dernier Combat, a post-apocalyptic black and white film that may as well be a silent film because it has almost no dialogue (literally only two words). It also has Jean Reno from Nikita.

GeorgeFloyd

George Floyd did 9/11
kiwifarms.net
MV5BMTI0MTM5NjUzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI5MDY0MQ@@._V1_.jpg
I don't scare easily but this movie gave me anxiety. Perfect thing to watch at 3 in the morning. It's about a windowless white van that appears in a backwood town and parks outside people's houses at night emitting radio frequencies that mentally disturb them. It's a low budget independent looking film but that works in it's favor as all the actors look and sound like real small town folk. It's a slow burn but super creepy movie with a few successful jump scares thrown in and even a very surprising and very welcome gore scene out of nowhere!

This movie is not currently on any streaming platform according to JustWatch but the DVD is still super cheap online. I found it at a flea market for a buck! Now I'm going to quietly peek out my blinds to make sure there's no creepy government conspiracy vans out there.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Recently watched some classic French films for the first time. La grande illusion (1937) was fairly engaging; the only thing that continually bothered me was the ludicrously cartoonish American accent of the main German character when speaking German lines. He delivers the French and English lines ok for some reason. I remember reading somewhere that the director Jean Renoir had firsthand experience as a combat pilot in WWI, so the film does feel pretty authentic.

Le salaire de la peur (1953) was pretty enjoyable. I was surprised by the high production value of the film, especially in the big driving sequences; I didn't know they had that much money to throw around in austerity-stricken post-war France. Originally I tried to watch the film without subtitles, but I quickly gave up. In the first half of the film, the characters are constantly switching back and forth speaking at length in Spanish, Italian, German, French, and English. Only after the driving part starts does most of the dialogue proceed in French.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Upcoming film I'm interested in, an action movie starring Louis Siu-Wong Fan in a lead role. I heard about this recently, Fan starred in the 1991 release "RIKI-OH: The Story of Ricky", the gory exploitation movie based on a popular manga. He didn’t fade into obscurity after the film’s success but he never quite reached the level of stardom that seemed possible after "Riki-Oh" though he was a consistent player in Chinese film and television. So I hear he's the star of a new action feature and find the trailer and I have no idea what it's about, besides it apparently involving some sort of robot. All I know is whew, this looks insanely violent.

StopSneeding

I sneed, therefore I am.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Recommending Animal Kingdom, kind of a mindless action show that follows a California crime family. Heist scenes are pretty good, been watching since it started. Kind of disappointed this will be the last season. I don't have the patience to sit down and watch a slow series these days, so AK is something that holds my attention.

WeDon'tNeedToWhisper

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna come back to this thread and give it good look over. But, for now I wanna say I'm watching The Americans (originally on FX, now on Prime) and I am fucking loving it. Granted, I'm only halfway through the series, so I hope I'm not jinxing myself.

It's hard for me to watch movies because my attention span is short, and the moment something comes off as unrealistic (that's not supposed to be), I become immediately uninterested. Because I'm just so cute and quirky and not like other girls. Kidding, but that's how I'm sounding.

The Americans, yeah, I hope it stays the same or gets better and not worse!

Euler's identity

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Recommending Animal Kingdom, kind of a mindless action show that follows a California crime family. Heist scenes are pretty good, been watching since it started. Kind of disappointed this will be the last season. I don't have the patience to sit down and watch a slow series these days, so AK is something that holds my attention.
The Aussie movie that show is based on is well worth a watch: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313092/

albert the programmer

Computer programmer at work
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
8EAC4EB4-8287-4B2E-B535-8ACCEA0612DE.jpeg

I know this belongs in the Anime/Manga thread, but please watch Whisper of The Heart. I’m not afraid to admit that this was a well-done movie on Studio Ghibli’s part.

In fact, I’m willing to argue that this and Porco Rosso could compete with the likes of Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.