Movie & TV Show Recommendations

• Ongoing DDoS attack.

hoodvclassic

kiwifarms.net
Akira - Post-Apocalyptic Cyberpunk action film, it took 8 years to animate and each frame was hand drawn. When it came out nothing like it had ever been done before, especially on that scale

albert the programmer

Computer programmer at work
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
E298266A-9E9F-4E95-9000-3EFD87588216.jpeg

I can see why 4chan’s /tv/ board kept posting about this movie time after time. This film is one of the most brutal and beautifully directed (and edited, in my opinion) I’ve ever seen. If anything, this makes Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan look like something a high schooler would make.

Plus, this face has stood the test of time:

778CD7B5-B16A-4788-9786-B23A2A31553F.jpeg

What the shit

Are you sure this is the right place for this?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Primal by Genndy Tartakovsky is pretty good. If you're into animated shows and you just want to see no speech, just ambience and music with some gore, this is your show.

Registration

kiwifarms.net
Just finished watching this movie, almost 3h of hungarian animation that took 20 years to make.

It is something to experience, not to describe it.

There are english subs here but the quality isn't so good.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
While everyone has been going on about Squid Game, another SK mini-series some might want to check out is the action-noir-drama "My Name". A reverse undercover operation, a woman out for revenge infiltrates a police force to find out who killed her father while backed by a crime boss she's put her trust in. Impressive fight choreography and camerawork, this series has the feel of a 90s Hong Kong action film, sort of like one of the later "Girls with Guns" type films, only somewhat darker. Melodrama gets amped up in the last couple of episodes but the lead actress Han So-hee sells her tenacity through every episode.

JamesFargo

Saying "oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
Dracula: Prince of Darkness

It's fun. Basic, but fun. The script was so shit that Lee refused to say his lines. Whoever wrote, "I am the apocalypse!" thought they were making the most metal movie ever... only to be immortalized in an interview with Lee decrying it as "unsayable."

The scene where Helen comes back from the dead is hauntingly done; she really is nothing like the original.

AIRqari.jpeg

Last edited:

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
I saw The Last Duel last week. I was kind of apprehensive about this at first given Ridley Scott’s track record as of late, but I heard good things about it so I decided to see it.

Overall, the film is really good. It’s basically a medieval European version of Rashomon that centers around the rape of a woman (Jodie Comer) by a squire (Adam Driver) that at one point was good friends with her husband (Matt Damon), a knight.

There were definitely some pacing issues, as the film covers a lengthy stretch of time and some things are glossed over. I feel like there was a lot of footage left on the cutting room floor that could be repurposed for a director’s cut a la Kingdom Of Heaven. But it’s not enough to sink the film IMO, and I love how it plays with perspective in showing the same events from different POVs and how they differ depending on who’s it is.

The performances from all three of the main actors are really good, but it was Ben Affleck of all people, playing the role of a Robert Baratheon-esque nobleman (though much less fat) who stole the show. He and Damon were also co-writers on the script, and it’s the first movie that they’ve written together since Good Will Hunting.

The titular duel at the end is really intense and a great payoff. Not knowing the real history that this is based on, I had no idea who was gonna win and the ending took me totally by surprise in a good way.

Overall, I’d rate this an 8/10. Glad to see Ridley Scott make a good film again.

Corndog

Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
kiwifarms.net
If you are looking for a fun little mind fuck of a movie, I highly recommend Motorama. The less you know going in the better but it does have child abuse, Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Meatloaf (the singer not the food) and the doctor from Star Trek Voyager.
But like I said, less you know the better.
motor.jpg

JamesFargo

Saying "oh cool" as I put the gun in my mouth
kiwifarms.net
X-Men: Days of Future Past

I recommend you watch that instead of Supergirl (1984),

The movie was supposed to have a good deal of Chris Reeves in it. He bolted once he realized the producers were insane people. Hard to blame him for that reasoning, considering the Three's Company misunderstandings in the film. Most Superman fans fail to acknowledge it, and even the Nostalgia Critic did not recognize it on his Dumbest Superman Moments list.

Douchebag from Die Hard plays the dipshit love interest in it.

Flea from Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Heyyy! The Big M! How's it hanging, McFly?

Last edited:

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
From 1990, from Kevin S. Tenny, director of films like Night of the Demons and Witchboard came the genre-crossover "Peacemaker". A doctor finds herself caught between two humanoid aliens played by Lance Edwards, who claims to be a "Peacemaker" and a game Robert Forster. One is a law enforcer sent to Earth, sent to protect other aliens who’ve been sent to Earth as part of something like a interstellar WITSEC. One is a hired gun, sent to eliminate one of these individuals. Both keep accosting the doc, and punching holes in each others' stories up to the finale, being pursued by human detective Robert Davi. Meanwhile, they can both take lots of damage and regenerate and it's squibs-a-plenty and lots of dangerous looking stunts. People going through windows, explosions, fist-fights, squad-cars going upside down, etc,

Jinmen

kiwifarms.net
Terrifier is a really great slasher if you're in for something for Halloween. Its about this scary ass clown (I know spooky clown is cliche but trust me) who also manages to be funny as hell. Super high gore and low budget kinda deal but its very good. It went under the radar for awhile but I think its finally getting attention. You could say its a dark comedy too. Top recommendation.

Here's a clip:

Cloaca Rimjob

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2635258

I can see why 4chan’s /tv/ board kept posting about this movie time after time. This film is one of the most brutal and beautifully directed (and edited, in my opinion) I’ve ever seen. If anything, this makes Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan look like something a high schooler would make.

Plus, this face has stood the test of time:

I really wanted to like this film but just found it to be wierd apathetic soviet era artsy crap. The massacre scene and the scene where the main character and the girl are running away from the village and they look back and see the pile of bodies were done really well. All I can really remember of the film is closeups of the main characters gormless face pulling a wierd expression. The actor was also in the 9th company, recognised him immediately because of come and see even though he was much older.

A good film I'd recommend is threads. It's a really low budget BBC film from the early 80s about the after effects of a nuclear war. It's not scary in the sense you watch it with the light outs. It's more you sit engrossed in it then think about it the rest of the week. Yorkshire is paki central now so maybe nuking the place would be an improvement tbf.

Last edited:

JustSomeDong

My own dark side lower companion...
kiwifarms.net
Threads is a decent watch. I'd recommend When the Wind Blows. It's in the same genre. Its an animated tale of an old couple trying to survive nuclear war. And I'd also have to recommend everyone give The Day After a watch. Steve Guttenberg with rad-sickness? John Lithgow? Jason Robards? Sign me the fuck up. It's full of delightful doomer cheese and 80's liberal preachiness and sterotypes about life in "flyover country." Its awesome.