Movies that Aged Poorly for you -

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the first Avengers film. Sure, it established the MCU formula set the tone for all the Marvel movies that came after it (for better or worse) but rewartching it now can be kind of a slog. Doesn't help that Disney's eagerness to spam the bathos and Whedonese in the films that came after aged it a lot faster than it would have otherwise.

Akumaten

kiwifarms.net
I love New Jack City, but it plays like a rated R after-school special. Still hits the mark on what it's trying to do.

American Beauty isn't about a midlife crisis, but the horrors of middle class....and the writer of the film is gay, so that explains alot

V for Vendetta made me say "maybe the bad guy had a point considering what's going on in the UK at the moment"

Dysnomia

Spookyute <3
kiwifarms.net
The Lawnmower Man was trippy when it first came out. Now it looks like crap.

I had read the short story before the movie came out. And if you didn't know, they have nothing to really do with each other (Stephen King was not happy) save for a lawnmower being present. So I was expecting a goat man to be in it at some point. I didn't get that. Although I agree it was trippy. It was pretty neat. Like some kind of cyber Flowers For Algernon. but looking at it now it just looks so outdated. And maybe not in a good way. It did get a lot of people interested in VR though.

Young Guns. I must have watched this a million times as a kid. It was one of my favorite childhood movies. But some months ago I tried to watch it again and I just lost interest. I still think it's ok. But i just don't want to watch it again. It was good for it's star power at the time.

I'd say it's because I watched it too many times as a kid. But I did that with Blazing Saddles and Back To The Future and have no problem watching those again and again.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
The Sword in the Stone was one of my favorite Disney movies as a kid, but it doesn't quite hold up nowadays.

I think I liked it because it was so different from all the other Fairy Tale style films from Disney's library and the characters were so much fun like Merlin, Archimedes (one of the best talking animal sidekicks in Disney history), and Mad Madam Mim.

The characters are still fun and it has some great moments (like the Merlin-Mim wizard's duel) but it just feels like a series of events strung together without much of a cohesive plot. And the ending is the most anticlimactic thing ever. The movie just sort of stops.

Maybe this would work if Arthur applied what he learned from Merlin at some point, but as is, they get into some mishaps with Merlin teaching Arthur, then Merlin goes away, then Arthur pulls out the sword and becomes king and Merlin comes back and....that's it.

CrystalRoserade

Ratvioli
kiwifarms.net
It's undeniably a shit movie because it was made by fucking Goodtimes of all people, but that mockbuster sequel to the Rankin-Bass Rudolph special. (not to be confused with the actual sequels that Rankin-Bass did) Somehow I didn't notice just how shitty it was when I was a kid. Looking at it now, it's glaringly obvious how bad it is. I didn't even remember that it existed until, like, seeing a review of it that Phelous did a while back.

Reactions: PolexiaAphrodisia

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
I used to watch Camp Nowhere and loved it. I watched it a while ago due to nostalgia and was blown away with how the thing was ever greenlit as a film, because it really was god awful without improving.

Also Braveheart. I loved it as a kid, and I still love the battle sequences, but when I started studying history, and realized how inaccurate the script was from a historical point of view, even though it didn't need to be, and it's just soured the rest of the movie for me. (Additionally annoying when I've met Scots who think it's a literal historical movie.)

I'm into Costume history, so when I saw the English king in Breaveheart wearing freakin crushed velvet, it pretty much ruined the entire movie for me. Crushed velvet is the kind of shit you made leggings out of in the 1990's, it's not historically accurate for any other period of time.

Panthera Rosea

You never know when you're about to get raped.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle.

It's pretty funny, but when you think about it in Current Year, it is a very fucking preachy movie in terms of all the corny race stereotypes and allegories in the film. It's good that it came out in 2004 because it came out in modern-day, everyone would've probably fucking hated it. It's proto-woke propaganda, but for Asians. I can only imagine what this movie would've been like if the main characters were black.

Moguro Fukuzou

Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed
kiwifarms.net
Probably Quest for Camelot which I remember being one of my favorite movies growing up, rewatched it so many times. I would say the film aged poorly, story is pretty dull and most of the characters are pretty bland, but I still can't hate the movie as a whole. The soundtrack for the film is still great in my books, there isn't really any song I hate off it, even Ruber's villain song which I've heard isn't very popular (I still can't believe that it was Gary Oldman voicing him). Speaking of Ruber, he's probably my favorite part with how chaotic he is during the whole film along with the memes.
1532270752820.jpg

If I was to mention a movie that I remember really enjoying and now can't stand, it would probably be Happy Feet. Movie's plot is like two different movies mashed together like they couldn't decide what their central message was and the whole last third is just bad. Started out as basically being Footloose with an added "It's okay to be different" that morphed into a very heavy handed environmental story that was done far better with stuff like Wall-e. It's sequel was even worse.

Reactions: Pokemonquistador2

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net

It's pretty funny, but when you think about it in Current Year, it is a very fucking preachy movie in terms of all the corny race stereotypes and allegories in the film. It's good that it came out in 2004 because it came out in modern-day, everyone would've probably fucking hated it. It's proto-woke propaganda, but for Asians. I can only imagine what this movie would've been like if the main characters were black.
My parents and I loved that movie. Where we live White Castle is only available frozen like a T.V dinner so it was weird seeing a movie where the actual restaurant is in the movie.

For me, the Simpsons Movie. As a kid I loved the series and no doubt I lost interests around season 10 or season 11. Originally I didn't plan on seeing it but my friend's friends called and asked and since I was hanging out with him I got to go see it. There were funny moments but I have not seen any of the new episodes and it felt like I was watching an unnecessary long version of a new episode that made me realize the series jumped the shark and sold out years ago. How it's still on the air today I don't know.

subwaymonkeyhour

This is not the Green Tom Show.
kiwifarms.net
For me, the films that aged poorly were anything involving Seltzer and Friedberg, the dicks who made Scary Movie. Also, a lot of comedies from the 2000s who thought "pop culture references never get stale ever". Scott Pilgrim vs, The World didn't hold up well at all, despite it being a cult classic and one of my favorite films. It still feels dated. Kick-Ass really is a good movie but feels dated as well.

Also, The Rocker with Rainn Wilson didn't hold up well at all. It's mid-2000s mediocrity, but a lot of work went into the soundtrack, so that at the very least is worth buying.

Also, the Emoji Movie. That didn't age well when it was in the theater.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the first Avengers film. Sure, it established the MCU formula set the tone for all the Marvel movies that came after it (for better or worse) but rewartching it now can be kind of a slog. Doesn't help that Disney's eagerness to spam the bathos and Whedonese in the films that came after aged it a lot faster than it would have otherwise.

Speaking of Whedon.

I've recently re-watched the Alien trilogy. All of them, even the 3rd film was good in my opinion. So I decided alright well lets watch Resurrection, because I vaguely remembered it.
Kind of wish I hadn't. Not only was the film garbage from the Alien movies point of view, but the script story was hackneyed, cliched, and really underwhelming and I can see why I didn't remember all that much of it.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
Honestly most Joss Whedon films aged poorly for me. His writing is really cringeworthy compared to how I saw those movies the first time. The only exception is maybe Avengers and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog since the former was a movie that was more of an event while the latter had actual good songs and the casting made up for it.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Joss Whedon's whole body of work is creating works with characters who are fashionable, self-aware people, designed to say the quippiest possible thing at the most appropriate times so the dumpy nerds watching them can feel cool about watching them. Also, lots and lots of Bathos (because you don't want the audience to think your characters are being earnest about anything. That would make them uncool. Only uncool people take things totally seriously.)

Whedon's stuff probably won't age all that well. Granted, his style works well in stuff like Buffy the Vampire Slayer because you'd expect a bunch of teens to be snarky and quippy when shit goes down. They haven't lived long enough to really comprehend what danger/death means. But long in the tooth heroes like Ironman shouldn't be cracking Spiderman-style one-liners at the latest world-ending horror.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Whedon.

I've recently re-watched the Alien trilogy. All of them, even the 3rd film was good in my opinion. So I decided alright well lets watch Resurrection, because I vaguely remembered it.
Kind of wish I hadn't. Not only was the film garbage from the Alien movies point of view, but the script story was hackneyed, cliched, and really underwhelming and I can see why I didn't remember all that much of it.
I liked 4, but that's because I already saw City of Lost Children so seeing Alien Vs City of Lost Children was enough for me to overlook the writing.

Mexican_Wizard_711

kiwifarms.net

Honestly the sequel "Harold and Kumar go to Guantanamo Bay" is a lot worse in terms of proto-wokeness.

Anyway, for me the movie that aged poorly would be Tim Allen's Zoom. I liked it when I was younger and looking back on it now, it had lot of blatant inflation fetish material 🤮

Jequiti

The lockdown has brought me back ♥
kiwifarms.net
Fight Club.

If you're a teenager who needs some motivational speech and will embrace the "consumerism is bad" message, it hits the spot.
Now, I'm not blaming Palahniuk, he's a fine writer and I do enjoy his books, but Fight Club, at least nowadays doesn't impress me anymore.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Mexican_Wizard_711

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
The Batman movies by Nolan lost their appeal to me after watching Joker.

There is also Gettysburg, movie feels very corny as its has a 1990s style to it.

Any cowboy movie after the 1970s is a lost cause except for Unforgiven.

Any political comedy ever made feels like shit after the Trump 2016 election campaign.

• Agree
Reactions: Pokemonquistador2
Tags
None