Movies You Didn't Like That Were Widely Praised -

howyadoin

cool cat from a bland show
kiwifarms.net
Someone has mentioned Moana already but I'm gonna put my thoughts on it. I had high expectations for it and I thought it'd be as engaging as Frozen, but for some reason Moana fell short and I can't really figure out why.

Did the plot feel segmented and not flow well? Were they trying too hard to be as musical as Frozen? Is the story just too shallow? I can't tell for sure. The only parts I enjoyed were Moana and Maui's interactions with each other and Tamatoa.

Pointandlaugh

Lookin' for the good stuff
kiwifarms.net
Three Billboards. The film that never wanted to end until the plot picked up, the movie ends.

Widows, how the fuck does it have a high score on metacritic compared to Bohemian Rhapsody? There was no character development at all in Widows. The plot was all over the place.

One Man Bland

kiwifarms.net
I never liked Frozen, even when I first saw it. Everyone praises it for the themes of sisterhood and the focus on the sisters rather than the romance, but not only did Lilo & Stitch tackle that much better but Frozen’s portrayal of Anna & Elsa’s conflict is one-sided and awful. Elsa straight up abandons Anna during aftermath of the death of their parents to the point that the imagery indicates that she handled all the funeral arrangements and grieving by herself, but then the rest of the film is about Elsa throwing herself a pity party because “muh ice magic a bloo bloo bloo” while Anna has to learn a lesson that she actually wasn’t doing enough for her sister and needs to be more considerate as to how Elsa feels, with no mention of the previous abandonment. That’s some real, genuine hurt and a much more interesting conflict that just gets swept under the rug, not helped when you find out there was an entire song addressing all these issues that got scrapped because Elsa’s voice actress didn’t like that it made her character in the wrong.

And while others have already mentioned that Frozen kicked off the trend of Disney films feeling the need to be self-referential and quipy and make every villain a twist, but I think Frozen’s success also changed their development process for the worse. One thing you notice if you’ve ever seen anything about the making if the film was that they had a habit of constantly starting over and reworking the entire film to insert last minute changes, and that’s been carried over into their last few films in recent years. It’s made Disney films seem almost over-polished in a way, bland products made to be consumed in the short-term and win a ton of awards and then be immediately forgotten.

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

Dump Tell No Mandy!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I liked Frozen tbh, but I just thought it was okay. I also saw it accidentally on Opening night (was originally going to see 12 Years a Slave) so it was all before the movie was overhyped.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I hated Titanic. That sonuvabitch came out when I was in high school, and everybody was praising it to the fucking stars. Best effects evah! Best story evah! Best romance evah! People were going and seeing it 2, 4, 12 times in the theater!

So I was wary to start with. My family rented the VHS cassettes from Blockbuster. And it was two cassettes. We wayched it and my whole family was bored almost to tears by the time the first tape ended. We put off watching the second until the night before we had to return it. I'll admit the ship going down was good. But that was like 20 minutes of the whole fucking slog. Unfortunately one of the main characters survived too.

I also didn't care much for Frozen. It was bland, with one decent song that was overplayed to the pount of pain. I can't even recall any of the others.

Raging Capybara

kiwifarms.net
I saw "Hereditary" yesterday, it was boooooooooooring.

Excruciatingly slow-paced, horrible acting and annoying soundtrack. I still don't know why this movie has a EDM beat in the background for the entire fucking time. The dude who plays the son is HILARIOUS! When he bumps his stupid face on the desk I almost paused the movie to laugh, that shit is so funny! How does someone think this movie is scary?

And the end is just a poor man's Rosemary's Baby, a movie that's not that good either.

It sucks. It starts pretty good but eventually everything turns out to be a "spooky" movie about demons, you know, shit that only kids find scary.

I need to stop watching horror movies, such an exceptional individual genre.

BeanBidan

Welcome to Silent Hill faggots.
kiwifarms.net
Frozen: it's a stupid song movie with lesbians and not even hot lesbians.

Super hero movies (mainly marvel)
:shit CGI, dry comedy, romance scenes are crap, music is terrible

Movies with Seth Rogan (except Paul)
"Dude fucking WEEEEEED LMAO" isn't funny in movies and will never make a movie funny.

Saw movies: it was cool the first time. It got pretty stale after the 1000 sequels
It's a movie series for edgy emo/goth girls with a serial killer fetish

Reactions: Violence Jack

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
I didn’t get the hype surrounding Lost in Translation at all.

I also hated A Beautiful Mind. It does not even try to present the reality of schizophrenia.

American Beauty is was also a vastly overrated excuse for Kevin Spacey to ogle over teenage boobies.

Dysnomia

Povertish
kiwifarms.net
No country for old men. Boring plot, superhuman magic villian, who the fuck cares about any of these people...

Oh and mulholland drive. And inland empire. Dear god, inland empire.
I liked Mulholland Drive. Remember that for the ending

it's a loop. The end and beginning are the same. But the whole identity of the main female character is a bit confusing and weird unless you paid enough attention.

Mulholland Drive was originally going to be a TV series. But it never made it past the pilot stage. I saw the pilot and it's basically the same as the movie with some differences.

https://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/pilot.htm

Lynch's Picture Factory joined with Imagine Television in association with Touchstone Television to produce a two-hour ABC pilot titled "Mulholland Drive." ABC passed on it for the fall 99 season. The reason was due to the violence in the pilot (the decision came in the wake of the Colorado shootings). With all the political pressure out now for Hollywood to clean things up it seems ABC got scared and passed on it. Lynch told Premiere magazine, "All I know is, I loved making it, ABC hated it, and I don't like the cut I turned in. I agreed with ABC that the longer cut was too slow, but I was forced to butcher it because we had a deadline, and there wasn't time to finesse anything. It lost texture, big scenes, and storylines, and there are 300 tape copies of the bad version circulating around. Lots of people have seen it, which is embarrassing, because they're bad-quality tapes, too. I don't want to think about it."
I'm assuming the bad cut is the one I saw. I remember it being very grainy too.

I think that David Lynch may have said that Inland Empire confuses him as well. The deleted scenes were actually cut into a bonus short film called "More Things That Happened". And "The Rabbits" was it's own series of shorts that were used in Inland Empire. There's also a few shorts that, while not exactly related to Inland Empire, have some content that is related in a sense. Hard to explain unless you watch it all. And I have. But the watch and burning a hole through cloth in order to see into other realities is there. If you take the girl in that short film as one of the prostitutes from Inland Empire then it does add a little bit of sense to Inland Empire. Just a little bit though.

What bugged me was, at least in the version I saw, that the Polish scenes in Inland Empire had no subtitles. Maybe there are subtitles and they just weren't on? I watched it on a stream site of some kind after all. I don't have the DVD. I did not take the Polish classes at my school so I can't really understand like 98% of it and what I could pick up was useless. I'd like to see it with subtitles if available. To see if that helps in any way.

IMDB had a great thread going about it. But as you know, all the forums were nuked. i never got the chance to finish it as it was really really long and still going. But it was very helpful in understanding. But when you need all that to understand a film I can see why it's too damn much. To be honest, even though I liked it, the film is a mess.

I liked The Rabbits. It was just so damn weird. Right up my alley.

If you've seen Lost Highway, I think Lynch mentioned it was inspired by the OJ trial. In that the main character is a murderer that has convinced himself he is not. So he becomes someone else. This innocent young guy who hates violence and is so naive and trusting that he gets mixed up with horrible people and causes an accidental death. It's Robert Blake's last movie and he's terrifying in it. Show a kid that face and they'll never sleep again.:O

I think it was Richard Pryor's last movie too. But I'm not sure.

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I saw "Hereditary" yesterday, it was boooooooooooring.

Excruciatingly slow-paced, horrible acting and annoying soundtrack. I still don't know why this movie has a EDM beat in the background for the entire fucking time. The dude who plays the son is HILARIOUS! When he bumps his stupid face on the desk I almost paused the movie to laugh, that shit is so funny! How does someone think this movie is scary?

And the end is just a poor man's Rosemary's Baby, a movie that's not that good either.

It sucks. It starts pretty good but eventually everything turns out to be a "spooky" movie about demons, you know, shit that only kids find scary.

I need to stop watching horror movies, such an exceptional individual genre.
I thought it was dull too but everyone I know jizzes in their pants over it.

• Feels
Reactions: Y2K Baby

linchan

kiwifarms.net
Your name. I don't get it, beyond it's visuals it has nothing else special about it. Why the fuck do weeks insists that it's the best animated film there is?

Hellbound Hellhound

kiwifarms.net
Babel - It was as pretentious as it was boring and pointless. The fact that this meretricious display of confused flimflam managed to get nominated for an Academy Award speaks volumes about how easy it is to get an Oscar nod provided that you sentimentally hint at a cosmopolitan message.

Sean Connery era James Bond films - They may have been good by the standards of their time, but by modern standards they are unwatchable. The effects are unconvincing, the fight scenes are terribly choreographed, the villains are pantomime-esque in their silliness, and every female character is laughably one-dimensional. Though I prefer Sean Connery as Bond, the Roger Moore films have aged better.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Y2K Baby

Mr Snek

kiwifarms.net
Anything related to Disney. Their problem is that they're using the same formula they have for children's movies, so you end up with the most generic, average, unmemorable movies ever with extremely cliché and subpar humor. They're money makers, and nothing more.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Idiocracy moreso for it's pretentious and autistic fanbase that treat it like it's a documentary or an accurate reflection of the world right now.
I fucking hate this movie, because it encourages defeatists and cynics to think they're right about everything. These people don't know anything, especially if they like this pathetic excuse for a film!

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Gammalt bröd rostar aldrig.
kiwifarms.net
Main character who is in fact probably autistic.
I didn't see him as autistic, he was smart enough to not want to draw any attention or eyes on himself because he's a sociopath and living as a criminal. Him stomping that guy to death shows how detached he is and the scorpion jacket really told you what he was.
(it's about Drive for anyone reading this, I liked the movie but as @Fuckoffdad says it released at the right time)

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino