Movies You Didn't Like That Were Widely Praised -

M

MW 002

kiwifarms.net
Scott Pilgrim vs the World- The Movie was just one big, insufferable nerd fantasy.

Spider-Man Homecoming- Maybe it’s something to do with this being the third reboot of Spider-Man I’ve seen in my lifetime, but I wasn’t a huge fan.

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants- Back when it was popular, I was dragged to go see the movies. It was this series that made me stay away from the YA genre as a teen.

Hunger Games- I found the camera work along with dull colouring really annoying. I get that the colours are supposed to set the dystopian mood, but somehow it made the movies really boring for me.

A Walk to Remember- I already don’t like the romanticizing of cancer, and this film made me put my finger on as to why. It is basically a Munchie’s wet dream.

Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)- I remember being in my final year of high school and getting dragged to this with friends. Wasn’t super fond of it because the story was really underwhelming for me.

Avatar (James Cameron)- I really liked the alien fauna and the environment that the animals lived in. Personally, I think this film would have been way better if it was just about humans exploring this world and studying the lifeforms instead of shoving a condescending “humanity/white people are bad” type of message. You could have still had an environmentalism message delivered without ripping off Dances with Wolves.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to get so much hate, but fuck it.
Coco. It was just a less inspired version of the Book of Life, and said film honestly felt more true to the holiday and its beliefs unlike Coco, where it feels like they just borrowed the superficial elements and copied them over while pretending they were being true to form, when really they just skimmed ideas, took some from Mexican villagers who they didn't credit directly and brought in "experts" to help them. Meanwhile Book of Life comes off as more creative and more mexican while being made from the heart and personal experiences of its director, an actual Mexican, Jorge Gutierrez, unlike Lee Unkrich who was just desperate for a non-sequel success. Gutierrez even goes further and included Santa Muerte and a more accurate depiction of the Mexican limbo/underworld and even a personification of Xibalba that added an unexpected twist and all the while still adding his own recognizable charm and creativity to it all. The fact that the film also didn't use the typical Dreamworks/Pixar looks and had a unique mexican puppet aesthetic made it all the more memorable and unique.

Yet people give Coco countless accolades for having an all Mexican cast and being "true to Mexico" while Book of Life was made from the heart with no corporate faggotry by an actual Mexican who made it as his personal goal with his own experience in mind, unlike the fucks at Pixar whose motivations are another matter entirely which involves a lot of scumminess on their part from behind the scenes.
In 2018, news outlets discovered that Disney Pixar had failed to disclose that producers for Coco had based the character of "Mama Coco" on María de la Salud Ramírez Caballero from the Purépecha village of Santa Fe de la Laguna, "a town of Purépecha potters in Quiroga, Michoacán." In a news interview, Salud stated that the producers "offered me so many things, but nothing came of it. They only came and took my picture and took it with them. They asked me what I need. Well, look at how I live and alone. My daughters live here, behind the house. And I'm here alone, that's what I have." In a report by Telemundo, residents and artisans of Santa Fe da la Laguna recognized that the attention Salud has received by people throughout the world has increased tourism for the town. Gabriela Gabriel Fabián, a potter of the town, noted that "It has benefited us because many more tourists come. This town is known because of the lady's fame, they buy our artwork, everything we do and figures of her."

While the production team at Disney Pixar have recognized that they "based the Rivera family – a multigenerational matriarchy headed by Miguel’s formidable abuelita, or grandmother – on real-world families with whom they embedded while visiting the Mexican states of Oaxaca and Guanajuato between 2011 and 2013," they have not acknowledged Salud's contribution to the film. Co-director Adrian Molina stated, "not only is [Coco] based in a real place, in Mexico, but it’s based in real traditions, so we knew it was very important to do the research, to get every detail recorded, so that when we get back to Pixar and we start deciding what is this town going to look like, what is this grandmother going to wear, what kind of dancing and music are they going to listen to, it can all come from an informed place." However, Salud remains unmentioned in all reports Disney Pixar have made regarding inspiration for the film.

Salud reported that since the release of the film, many people, even internationally, have visited her and will refer to her as "Mama Coco." In response, she replied, "Yes, but ["Mama Coco's"] not my name. [The producers] chose that name. And now all the people who come and visit tell us that's my name. But I tell them no, it's not my name. My name is María de la Salud." Prior to the film's release, Salud was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and now she has to use oxygen tanks to breathe." The family however has expressed that they "aren't looking to receive royalties, or money, despite her grandmother's need to recharge her oxygen tank every two days." They are, however, asking "that the company acknowledge her contribution" to the film, which has yet to occur.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Feels
Reactions: Shokew and Safir

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I'm going to get so much hate, but fuck it.
Coco. It was just a less inspired version of the Book of Life, and said film honestly felt more true to the holiday and its beliefs unlike Coco, where it feels like they just borrowed the superficial elements and copied them over while pretending they were being true to form, when really they just skimmed ideas, took some from Mexican villagers who they didn't credit directly and brought in "experts" to help them. Meanwhile Book of Life comes off as more creative and more mexican while being made from the heart and personal experiences of its director, an actual Mexican, Jorge Gutierrez, unlike Lee Unkrich who was just desperate for a non-sequel success. Gutierrez even goes further and included a more accurate depiction of the Mexican limbo/underworld and even a personification of Xibalba that added an unexpected twist and all the while still adding his own recognizable charm and creativity to it all. The fact that the film also didn't use the typical Dreamworks/Pixar looks and had a unique mexican puppet aesthetic made it all the more memorable and unique.

Yet people give Coco countless accolades for having an all Mexican cast and being "true to Mexico" while Book of Life was made from the heart with no corporate faggotry by an actual Mexican who made it as his personal goal with his own experience in mind, unlike the fucks at Pixar whose motivations are another matter entirely which involves a lot of scumminess on their part from behind the scenes.
I don't think Coco would've gotten nearly as much positive attention as it did if was the same plot but set in the US, or Europe (not Spain), or maybe even Asia. People just lapped it up because it was about brown people and thus progressive and good. Which is also the exact reason why there was a lot of vocal outrage about the accompanying Frozen short. All I ever heard about that Frozen short is that they paired the pure brown people with evil whitey, and that was bad.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Titanic would have worked much better as a formulaic disaster movie (where the camera follows a number of people from all walks of life and tells their stories as the disaster unfolds) than as a love story (which only follows one couple.) Titanic was a unique disaster in that it involved a cross-section of people from all over the world, rich and poor, and many fascinating real life people like Molly Brown, but no. We can't see any of that. We've got to sit there and watch an overblown, melodramatic love story involving a bland couple playing out one of the oldest cliches of all time: The Poor Little Rich Girl story. ("Oh no! Will Rose be condemned to living in a gilded cage with a handsome rich husband who lets her buy Picassos? Or will the plucky, pure-hearted poor boy liberate her from all that, allowing her to be a free spirit?") Who fucking cares? You may argue that the movie is too long as it is, but if we cut out the framing story and James Cameron wanking over his deep sea exploration hobby, we'd have plenty of time to showcase the narratives of several different Titanic passengers. Also, the entire premise behind the Cameron film is a lie, as the real Titanic would never have allowed people in the First and Third classes to mix, because of quarantine laws...

Vertigo and Lawrence of Arabia are beautiful films with fantastic music and deep themes, but they're both slow as hell. Maybe watching Youtube Videos has shot my attention span to dust, but there were times watching these films when I just wanted to push the fast forward button and get the hell on with it already.

Twelve Angry Men was well-framed and well shot, with fantastic dialogue and character interactions, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I couldn't help but feel it's purpose was to exonerate a clearly guilty man because one of the jurors was prejudiced against him. At best, the deliberations should have ended with a Hung Jury recognizing that one juror's personal life was mucking up the deliberating process and that the jurors were allowing their feelings to interfere with an objective look at the evidence.

Napolean Dynamite was okay, but you really have to be of a certain mindset to enjoy it. Living in a small, asscrack town in the middle of nowhere and having autistic family members helps some when it comes to appreciating this film. I could see why people would hate the main character though. The funniest parts of the film were the parts with Diedrich Bader and the ancient Native American farmer with the cracking voice.

Forrest Gump. I think this poster says it all:

I hated the message of "Only a pure-hearted soul can change the world., and only if they aren't really trying." I hated how Jenny cock-teased Forrest and agreed to marry him only when she'd exhausted every other avenue of pleasure and support and had gotten herself infected with fatal hepatitis (no, it wasn't AIDS she died of, although it's a miracle she hadn't caught that as well.) Forrest is an idiot, and it'll be a miracle if his equally autistic son doesn't turn out like Chris-chan.

FaceOfTrueHorror

kiwifarms.net
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, feels like everyone righty hates the movie however if you look up review it did pretty well when it came out, 78% credits liked it on rotten tomatoes and even has a metascore of 65.

Get Him to the Greek, rotten tomatoes of 72%, a metascore of 65, I truly found the movie awful from the bad acting of Russell Brand to the awful comedy, one of the jokes is a hot chick raping Jonah Hill, not saying rape couldn't be funny in a movie but there's really nothing else in the scene to make it funny.

Shenandoah, tried to make the American civil war as the background to a family movie, refuses to takes sides and even tries to make a battle in the later part of the movie into looking like a fun time, worst part is the son who is meant to be 16 but acts like a exceptional 10 year old who's actions leave 3 people dead.

The Boondock Saints, got bad reviews yet had a 7.8 on imdb, very much feels like an exceptional individual tries his hand at making a movie after seeing Pulp Fiction, and if you watch the documentary Overnight that is pretty much what happened, If Troy Duffy was more active he would have a thread on here.

The Visit, M. Night Shyamalan movie were the acting is bad, the comedy is unfunny but the horror is unintentionally funny yet it got good review some how.

Romeo + Juliet, a failed experiment, try to update Romeo + Juliet in look and setting only, which creates a weird disconnect, the movie is very ugly which doesn't help matters, during my school years where made to watch this and the 60's version of it many times, never once found one person that liked Romeo + Juliet more.

Edward II, up it's an ass so much.

Thor 1, felt like a follow up to Battlefield Earth, people have started to dislike it, however it feels like when every bad MCU movie comes out it takes a few years before people start to see how bad it really was, Maybe one day people will realise that even Green Lantern was better.

The Queen, such a boring, pointless and lifeless movie, Queen comes across as a cunt despite the movies best effort.

Angels with Dirty Faces, felt bogged down the with the hollywood censorship from the time which stop it from doing anything interesting, also I know James Cagney is seen as one of the greatest actors but I found him truly awful in this movie,

The People vs. George Lucas, as much as a hate the prequels, the I hate the whole "George Lucas raped my childhood" thing much worse, which sadly is many of those interviewed in this movie fall into.

Summer Wars and Wolf Children, just proves weebs have no taste.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Shokew

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Fake Jan Brady
kiwifarms.net
Tbf the Queen was a cunt. She treated Diana like shit. She had to address her death because people were so upset and they couldn't understand why she was so cold.

She's defending Andrew so let's not pretend shes some holy icon.

Alto

Space Doggity
kiwifarms.net
Everyone and their mom has already said it but Avatar. Good visuals but the most uninspired story if ever there was one. I really hate stock "Evil humans vs. nature" stories, especially when movies like Princess Mononoke proved that you can do this kind of story without demonizing anyone. Everyone wanted to live in Pandora and be blue cat people after this movie came out and I actually think the design of the aliens is creepy and uncanny valley with the wide foreheads, dreds, and human-teeth. Truefax, it was my ex's all-time favorite movie and pretending like it was good so as not to hurt their feelings was a Herculean struggle.

If someone tells you that Avatar is the height of cinematic accomplishment, you have every right to never talk to them again.

M

MW 002

kiwifarms.net
Everyone and their mom has already said it but Avatar. Good visuals but the most uninspired story if ever there was one. I really hate stock "Evil humans vs. nature" stories, especially when movies like Princess Mononoke proved that you can do this kind of story without demonizing anyone. Everyone wanted to live in Pandora and be blue cat people after this movie came out and I actually think the design of the aliens is creepy and uncanny valley with the wide foreheads, dreds, and human-teeth. Truefax, it was my ex's all-time favorite movie and pretending like it was good so as not to hurt their feelings was a Herculean struggle.

If someone tells you that Avatar is the height of cinematic accomplishment, you have every right to never talk to them again.
Let’s be serious, Colonel Quaritch did nothing wrong. He was the only good character in the film who was just trying to save humanity.

Trombonista

どんだけ!
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Get Him to the Greek, rotten tomatoes of 72%, a metascore of 65, I truly found the movie awful from the bad acting of Russell Brand to the awful comedy, one of the jokes is a hot chick raping Jonah Hill, not saying rape couldn't be funny in a movie but there's really nothing else in the scene to make it funny.
My sister and @darkhorse816 had me watch this, and I made them stop the movie when Russell Brand's character said "I'm just trying to help you!" after making Jonah Hill's character smuggle drugs in his asshole through an airport. I read that Brand's character eventually realizes he's been an absolute jerk, but I was not in the mood to finish the film at the time.

Reactions: darkhorse816

I Love Beef

Wandering Vagabond the 2nd. In memory
kiwifarms.net
The Purge series.

I love violent and gory movies, but The Purge has a disconnect with me in that it brings up politics and an absurd excuse for allowing the entire USA to engage in lawless violence. This is where the threshold for tasteless and pushing my suspension of disbelief is too far for me too.

It was also promoted so much to where it prompted me to install adblockers. Fuck that movie series.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
The Purge series.

I love violent and gory movies, but The Purge has a disconnect with me in that it brings up politics and an absurd excuse for allowing the entire USA to engage in lawless violence. This is where the threshold for tasteless and pushing my suspension of disbelief is too far for me too.

It was also promoted so much to where it prompted me to install adblockers. Fuck that movie series.
Doesn't help the movies try to portray the party that runs the purge as cartoonishly evil supervillains which further hurts the suspension of disbelief.

Even someone who makes alternate history videos for fun can't think of a logical reason it'd stay:

• Agree
Reactions: Shokew

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The basic set-up does work, just as long as you swap out Brand for Peter O'Toole and call it My Favorite Year.

Reactions: Oh Long Johnson

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Doesn't help the movies try to portray the party that runs the purge as cartoonishly evil supervillains which further hurts the suspension of disbelief.

Even someone who makes alternate history videos for fun can't think of a logical reason it'd stay:

I can't think of anything other than a religious or ideological reason why the Purge would be enacted. Who wouldn't just gather with their friends and family - or in a protected building run by some kind of community-led, mutual-aid agency - and wait out the Purge with weapons? Who (other than violent gang members) would be motivated to murder people in their own neighborhoods? And if the government wanted to cull the population of undesirables, wouldn't it do it itself so that it wouldn't accidentally kill the people who support it?

There is only one good Purge-type story that I can think of - and it's the episode of the Original Star Trek where Kirk and co. beam down to an old-timey planet and see everyone going violently apeshit. And this happens because a computer (which is controlling everyone's minds) has to periodically let the people (at least, the young, hormonal people) blow off steam lest they shake off the computer's control.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino