Movies You Didn't Like That Were Widely Praised -

donjulio

kiwifarms.net
I didn't really care for 28 Weeks Later. Thought it was a shit sequel with just horribly idiotic characters that made terrible decisions regarding an apocalyptic virus. Reused some music set for specific scenes from the first movie repeatedly for whatever reason and the ending was just disappointing. A real dumb movie that wasn't even a sequel to something that amazing.

Yet everyone I knew into that genre loved it , some more than the first. Same with critics.

averagejane

please pluck your nose hairs.
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to get so much hate, but fuck it.
Coco. It was just a less inspired version of the Book of Life, and said film honestly felt more true to the holiday and its beliefs unlike Coco, where it feels like they just borrowed the superficial elements and copied them over while pretending they were being true to form, when really they just skimmed ideas, took some from Mexican villagers who they didn't credit directly and brought in "experts" to help them. Meanwhile Book of Life comes off as more creative and more mexican while being made from the heart and personal experiences of its director, an actual Mexican, Jorge Gutierrez, unlike Lee Unkrich who was just desperate for a non-sequel success. Gutierrez even goes further and included Santa Muerte and a more accurate depiction of the Mexican limbo/underworld and even a personification of Xibalba that added an unexpected twist and all the while still adding his own recognizable charm and creativity to it all. The fact that the film also didn't use the typical Dreamworks/Pixar looks and had a unique mexican puppet aesthetic made it all the more memorable and unique.

Yet people give Coco countless accolades for having an all Mexican cast and being "true to Mexico" while Book of Life was made from the heart with no corporate faggotry by an actual Mexican who made it as his personal goal with his own experience in mind, unlike the fucks at Pixar whose motivations are another matter entirely which involves a lot of scumminess on their part from behind the scenes.
i'm of two minds regarding the coco and book of life discussion. because i liked both of them. and i'm a spic. so here's my pros and cons of both

book of life pros: visually superior. better utilization of colors. manolo is a better mexican name than the overdone miguel, suck it. la muerte and xibalba have a super interesting dynamic and inclusion to the plot, not to mention they're visibly pleasing. good music. manolo singing to the giant bull was incredibly moving not only emotionally but visually.
book of life cons: outdated themes (STRONG GURL WHO FITES AND READS!!!), jarring humor, juvenile concepts,

coco pros: miguel's famiy life felt more like an authentic mexican family IMO. the humor was better. cleaner plot. better music than BOL imo, i like the english and spanish versions. this faggot movie actually made me cry, specifically the scene with little coco singing remember me god damnit.
cons: forgettable, not unique, predictable plot twist, visuals weren't as pretty as BOL, lacked pixar's uniqueness and felt more like a standard disney movie (brave suffered from this as well)

and yeah, i hear ya on the disney faggotry but I'm just speaking objectively here rather than letting my spigger feelings get the best of me.

• Winner
Reactions: Shokew

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
Fight Club. It looked stupid to me, but this friend of mine insisted that I watch it and said it was the greatest thing ever.
Whatever people are getting out of it, I'm not. It just seemed like Pretentious Edgelord: The Movie to me.
Is it the "twist" that people find so brilliant?

Other people have already mentioned it, but Scott Pilgrim. Every character in that movie was a selfish, obnoxious little shit. Maybe I would have liked this movie if I saw it at age 14.

Any Ralph Bakshi Film
. I dunno, maybe his stuff seemed revolutionary and amazing in the '70s. Every movie I've seen of his feels like a failed experiment.

The Matrix
to a lesser extent. I don't hate it, but it's basically a total ripoff of an anime called MegaZone 23 with Hong Kong wire-fu. I also hated how all the characters dressed.... A bunch of my friends started dressing like Matrix characters after the movie and it was annoying. The sequels were total garbage.

I

IN 041

kiwifarms.net
Gravity. I remember it getting sucked off at the Oscars, I went out and rented it out of curiousity and was astounded by how unremarkable it was.

Hail Caesar!
Crazy Rich Asians

Hail Caesar was 100% set-up with no pay-off. I enjoyed each storyline but they wasted so much time building it up that they ran out of time to actually do anything with the material.

Crazy Rich Asians was boring, a completely average romance movie. It only got the praise it did because it was the Asian "Black Panther" of romcoms and because it was set in a unique setting.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I didn't really care for 28 Weeks Later. Thought it was a shit sequel with just horribly idiotic characters that made terrible decisions regarding an apocalyptic virus. Reused some music set for specific scenes from the first movie repeatedly for whatever reason and the ending was just disappointing. A real dumb movie that wasn't even a sequel to something that amazing.

Yet everyone I knew into that genre loved it , some more than the first. Same with critics.
I didn't like that when I first saw it, however I later watched it again and liked it better the second time.

Both of those watches were over a decade ago so it's hard to say what my final thoughts are, but I definitely feel like the first movie was better and more unique, whereas the sequel, if not bad, is definitely more typical.

Either way it's kinda weird that they never made a third one given the huge popularity of the zombie genre.

Gravity. I remember it getting sucked off at the Oscars, I went out and rented it out of curiousity and was astounded by how unremarkable it was.
That was meant to be seen in IMAX, which I did and it was an amazing experience, you really felt like you were out in space.

• Agree
Reactions: Sexy Times Hitler

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
I'm going to get so much hate, but fuck it.
Coco. It was just a less inspired version of the Book of Life, and said film honestly felt more true to the holiday and its beliefs unlike Coco, where it feels like they just borrowed the superficial elements and copied them over while pretending they were being true to form, when really they just skimmed ideas, took some from Mexican villagers who they didn't credit directly and brought in "experts" to help them. Meanwhile Book of Life comes off as more creative and more mexican while being made from the heart and personal experiences of its director, an actual Mexican, Jorge Gutierrez, unlike Lee Unkrich who was just desperate for a non-sequel success. Gutierrez even goes further and included Santa Muerte and a more accurate depiction of the Mexican limbo/underworld and even a personification of Xibalba that added an unexpected twist and all the while still adding his own recognizable charm and creativity to it all. The fact that the film also didn't use the typical Dreamworks/Pixar looks and had a unique mexican puppet aesthetic made it all the more memorable and unique.

Yet people give Coco countless accolades for having an all Mexican cast and being "true to Mexico" while Book of Life was made from the heart with no corporate faggotry by an actual Mexican who made it as his personal goal with his own experience in mind, unlike the fucks at Pixar whose motivations are another matter entirely which involves a lot of scumminess on their part from behind the scenes.
Some Latinos I know dislike Coco very much because it's yet another story of Mexico that many people praise for being about Latinos as though all Latinos are Mexican.

JoeyGreco

kiwifarms.net
Both the recent IT movies, accounting for budget and production, are the worst movies I've ever seen. Horrendous acting, horrendous writing, horrendous direction, the scary bits were so laughably bad, without a hint of irony, it was so intolerable. I would just shrug them off if IT wasn't the highest grossing horror movie, and if it hadn't of gotten an unholy amount of praise. I saw people on twitter say IT was their favorite movie of all time, reading that made me want to put a double barrel down my throat.

Reactions: TaimuRadiu

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Grease is one I never cared for, but I totally get why the film is praised and loved.

For me, the characters are annoying, most of the actors look way too old for their teenage roles, the plot is barely existent, and the messages are questionable at best.

But....yeah, the music is catchy as hell and instantly memorable. Summer Nights in particular will be in my head forever.

So if you look at the musical numbers, the choreography, and the songs...yeah, I can see why people like it.

However, in the age of YouTube, I would much rather watch the musical numbers isolated from the greater whole of a mediocre movie that is obnoxious.

Idiotron

kiwifarms.net
The Conjuring
A mediocre horror movie with nothing original in it. It became so popular that it spawned it's own cinematic universe, the only one other than the MCU which has been successful from the start.

The Shinning
I was bored out of my skull while watching it. Looks nice but that's about it. A lot of the creepy visuals seem to just be there to be there, they have no explanation or purpose (maybe it's a Kubrick thing because I had to read the 2001 book to understand what happened in the 2001 movie). Shirley Duval took me out of the movie with how ugly she was once she started to make scared faces.

The Godfather/Goodfellas/Scarface/etc.
I don't like gangster movies even if they're well made. Every character in them is a piece of shit, especially the protagonists. I'm just watching horrible people do horrible things for 2 hours, not my idea of fun.

Gladiator
Well made but watching this was the first time I predicted the entire plot, right down to which characters live and die at which point of the movie, based on the trailer. It's the textbook definition of "derivative".

Avengers: Endgame
This movie makes no sense and a lot of the CGI is bad (they even animated a Mercedes driving towards the camera for some reason).

A Quiet Place
The premise is nice but the way they did it, it falls apart as you're watching the movie. After the great opening scene, it goes downhill really fast, so much so that I couldn't finish the movie and skipped to the ending after a while.

Disney animated movies
I hate musicals. It always pissed me off as a kid when the movie would stop and everybody would start to sing and dance. The musical numbers on their own are fine but they stand out in a negative way when they show up in the middle of a narrative.

That's what I've got for now.
I might be back.

Last edited:

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Fake Jan Brady
kiwifarms.net
Shelley Duvall was the fucking heroine in that goddamn movie tbh. So much that it made her crazy. Fuck Kubrick.

A Quiet Place took me out tbh. The children were perfectly fine but when you cast two irl married actors it becomes distracting. (Mr and Mrs Smith and Overboard do not count because those movies were charming and stupid camp fun) This of course is despite the fact that Blunt is leagues above Krasinski in acting and roles.

Hereditary. I hated what they did to the girl. I can't fucking stand Nepotism Actor so getting through this film was tough. Toni Colette was good but that was in no way an Oscar performance. If anything Michelle Pfeiffer should have gotten it for What Lies Beneath if we are talking horror flicks. Also WLB is the superior film in every way. It literally does for tubs what Psycho did for showers.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
The Shinning
I was bored out of my skull while watching it. Looks nice but that's about it. A lot of the creepy visuals seem to just be there to be there, they have no explanation or purpose (maybe it's a Kubrick thing because I had to read the 2001 book to understand what happened in the 2001 movie). Shirley Duval took me out of the movie with how ugly she was once she started to make scared faces.
Haven't seen The Shining, but let me use this opportunity to jump on my Stanley Kubrick hobby horse: nothing this fucker did (that I've seen) was any good. I have no idea why he gets any praise at all, beyond "critics are cowards who are too afraid to buck the consensus." Off the top of my head.
2001 was a tedious, incomprehensible mess. It says something about this "great movie" that even it's most ardent defenders admit that you could cut six or seven hours out of it and lose nothing.
Full Metal Jacket was two movies casually joined at the middle, carried entirely by R. Lee Ermey's barely-acting performance.
Dr. Strangelove was a protracted Cold War-era shaggy dog story.

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
Disney animated movies
I hate musicals. It always pissed me off as a kid when the movie would stop and everybody would start to sing and dance. The musical numbers on their own are fine but they stand out in a negative way when they show up in the middle of a narrative.
imo it really depends on the era. the old stuff doesn't do anything for me either and pure musicals usually make me cringe too hard, but the 90+ stuff with aladdin etc were damn good, even princess and the frog. and it's almost impossible to hate on mulan. anyway...

tangled was way better in every regard than frozen: the musical: the movie but is completely overshadowed by it because muh lesbo sisters fanfic.
speaking of disney and musicals, fuck them with a rake for canceling galavant but give once upon a time seven fucking seasons + spinoff

• Agree

fartsnstuf

kiwifarms.net
I'm certain someone said it, but here goes: M. Night Shyamalan's The Village

it's an overrated, schlocky, insipid 2-hour long ego wank of an art-piece that has a relatively interesting concept that does dick-all with it; it's plodding, dull, and boring as fuck. Not to mention having the twist at the end does not help

Raging Capybara

kiwifarms.net
Haven't seen The Shining, but let me use this opportunity to jump on my Stanley Kubrick hobby horse: nothing this fucker did (that I've seen) was any good. I have no idea why he gets any praise at all, beyond "critics are cowards who are too afraid to buck the consensus." Off the top of my head.
2001 was a tedious, incomprehensible mess. It says something about this "great movie" that even it's most ardent defenders admit that you could cut six or seven hours out of it and lose nothing.
Full Metal Jacket was two movies casually joined at the middle, carried entirely by R. Lee Ermey's barely-acting performance.
Dr. Strangelove was a protracted Cold War-era shaggy dog story.
Paths of Glory is his best movie because it's the most "normal" in his career. Even the acting is very grounded and the story extremely straight forward. You should give it a try.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
Interestelar. I did like it and I agree it's good, but I don't get the hype.

Ditto for Arrival. Again, I did enjoy it and the plot and story were well handled it, but I couldn't stand the praise Amy Adams character gets when she acted so selfishly at the end. Check the Passengers/Arrival discussions if you know what I mean.

• Agree
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino