Mozilla (Firefox) major firing and restructure. Not mentioned: They fired their entire threat response/opsec team. - complete with woke language in blog.

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Really, that graph says to me that nothing they did since 2010, whether it's replacing the chairman or anything else, had any effect whatsoever as far as stopping the freefall.

potato fan

kiwifarms.net
I think I can see the problem, from the linked article

I also realize this vision will feel abstract to many. With this in mind, we have mapped out five specific areas to focus on as we roll out this new structure over the coming months:

1. New focus on product. Mozilla must be a world-class, modern, multi-product internet organization. That means diverse, representative, focused on people outside of our walls, solving problems, building new products, engaging with users and doing the magic of mixing tech with our values. To start, that means products that mitigate harms or address the kinds of the problems that people face today. Over the longer run, our goal is to build new experiences that people love and want, that have better values and better characteristics inside those products.
nigga, ditch all this garbage, and go make a good web browser, not some fucking empty corporate speak. This is literally the one thing people expect from you- a browser that loads shitty, heavy sites like FB fast and nice, doesn't leak memory all over the place, doesnt break extensions etc. Literally noone cares about your corporate values of being "committed to an internet that catalyzes collaboration among diverse communities working together for the common good."

Chrome cold starts faster, stutters less while opening 50th tab and is all around better experience, unless your software can do it better, I am not using it, no matter how much "catalizing of collaboration in diverse communities" it also does, whatever it even means

GhostButt

kiwifarms.net

German cats eradicating a problem element from society.......

29987760._SX540_.jpg
Maus1.png

ruh roh raggy

Attachments

• Aus Liebe zum Web. Unfck the Internet – with Firefox v2.mp4
    4.3 MB

fuckidunno

kiwifarms.net
Mozilla must be a world-class, modern, multi-product internet organization. That means diverse, representative, focused on people outside of our walls, solving problems, building new products, engaging with users and doing the magic of mixing tech with our values. To start, that means products that mitigate harms or address the kinds of the problems that people face today. Over the longer run, our goal is to build new experiences that people love and want, that have better values and better characteristics inside those products.

so, in short- they are making the world a better place through buzzwords

Sonichu-choo trainwreck

kiwifarms.net
Mozilla must be a world-class, modern, multi-product internet organization. That means diverse, representative, focused on people outside of our walls, solving problems, building new products, engaging with users and doing the magic of mixing tech with our values. To start, that means products that mitigate harms or address the kinds of the problems that people face today. Over the longer run, our goal is to build new experiences that people love and want, that have better values and better characteristics inside those products.

Mitchell Baker tho, that guy fucks

Feline Supremacist

слава России! Ты никогда не станешь женщиной
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It's an internet browser. It was supposed to be a better Netscape and better than IE. To keep up it should have been better than Chrome or Edge, not a slavish imitation. What the fuck does "products that mitigate harms or address the kinds of the problems that people face today" even mean? It's going to hold my hand when I go online? That's not it's purpose. As far as products go it got rid of Thunderbird and Seamonkey. They're better off divorced from this bullshit imo.

DNA_JACKED

Pronouns are Ni/Gg/Er: proud transracialwomankin
kiwifarms.net
Late to the convo but it’s because explorer has a brand of supporting active-x, silver light and other cancer frameworks.

to move forward they would have to remove those but they can’t because still a lot of financial institutions rely on that technology (source, spent years working in Fintech and a Surprising amount of financial institution still use internet explorer due to legacy tech they have to use)
Education and governments are stuck with it too. The current IEP software school districts use requires IE6 or IE6 compatibility mode to run properly, and it's CURRENT replacement runs in IE8 mode, and there is 0 hope of that changing because the encrypted signed ODFs the state use can only be opened in adobe reader, but the PDFs cannot be downloaded, they must be opened in the browser, and the only browser that supports adobe reader is.....IE.

It's a problem with no real good solution. Re writing the apps would cost tens of millions and break decades of legacy documents, but continued use is a security risk.
WTF Happened in 2010!? Chrome could be going strong but that's a fall off a cliff.
2010 was the start of Google's advertising of "switch to chrome" and things like video card and motherboard driver disks coming with chrome as an option.

this was also the time that Chrome was getting multithreading updates and better memory sandboxing. I remember trying chrome....7 I think? in my comp. tech class and being floored at how much FASTER it was then firefox 3.6. ESPECIALLY when you had a video playing and multiple other tabs open. And how if a webpage locked up (hey kids, it happened a LOT back then) it wouldnt fuck the entire browser.

Even back then I wondered how long it would take firefox to get multithreading like what google had. Spoiler: it took almost a decade. Firefox was too concerned trying to make their own phone ecosystem, hiring diversity employees, and fucking up higher administration that broke the woke, especially as chrome pulled WAY ahead in the mid 2010s.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Brain open for rental(rent free)
kiwifarms.net
It's an internet browser. It was supposed to be a better Netscape and better than IE. To keep up it should have been better than Chrome or Edge, not a slavish imitation. What the fuck does "products that mitigate harms or address the kinds of the problems that people face today" even mean? It's going to hold my hand when I go online? That's not it's purpose. As far as products go it got rid of Thunderbird and Seamonkey. They're better off divorced from this bullshit imo.

It will automatically redirect you from Foxnews to Onlyfans.

Education and governments are stuck with it too. The current IEP software school districts use requires IE6 or IE6 compatibility mode to run properly, and it's CURRENT replacement runs in IE8 mode, and there is 0 hope of that changing because the encrypted signed ODFs the state use can only be opened in adobe reader, but the PDFs cannot be downloaded, they must be opened in the browser, and the only browser that supports adobe reader is.....IE.

It's a problem with no real good solution. Re writing the apps would cost tens of millions and break decades of legacy documents, but continued use is a security risk.

2010 was the start of Google's advertising of "switch to chrome" and things like video card and motherboard driver disks coming with chrome as an option.

this was also the time that Chrome was getting multithreading updates and better memory sandboxing. I remember trying chrome....7 I think? in my comp. tech class and being floored at how much FASTER it was then firefox 3.6. ESPECIALLY when you had a video playing and multiple other tabs open. And how if a webpage locked up (hey kids, it happened a LOT back then) it wouldnt fuck the entire browser.

Even back then I wondered how long it would take firefox to get multithreading like what google had. Spoiler: it took almost a decade. Firefox was too concerned trying to make their own phone ecosystem, hiring diversity employees, and fucking up higher administration that broke the woke, especially as chrome pulled WAY ahead in the mid 2010s.

The boom in mobile devices like phones and tablets made the market grow and who the fuck ever used Firefox on mobile? Their percentage of market share surely dropped because of that.

TrashedGlitch

kiwifarms.net
I use FF mobile because ublock and an extension that lets youtube play in the background
I also use it for this reason, but for some reason ublock origin when set to medium blocking mode on Android bugs out every once in a while, which sucks for an add-on that was approved by Mozilla to be one of the few add-ons that work on android and it doesn't even work correctly when you fiddle with it.

But, other than that its a great mobile browser. Just wish they would bring it up to be more inline feature wise as their desktop counterpart. Plus I miss being able to access the about config.

TrashedGlitch

kiwifarms.net
There's apps on android that allow you to play in the background. Like newpipe or skytube.
The only issue I have with Newpipe is now it won't let me view age restricted content, because youtube changed something in the back end that makes it require an ID to view such content. With firefox I can log in to youtube and have it play in the background with needing to worry about a video not being viewable. I haven't heard much about skytube but I believe it uses newpipes extractor which leads me to believe it might have the same issues.

Moths

Buzz Buzz
kiwifarms.net
People still use Firefox? I thought they lost a chunk of userbase after their biggest update killed a fuck-ton of useful add-ons, prompting everyone to use Chromium-based stuff instead?
Hey some of us jumped to waterfox since chromium sits heavier on your machine than a giant buffalo turd from my experience with chrome and ungoogled chrome my machine does not like that shit for whatever reason

Miller

Let's go, champ!
kiwifarms.net
Why do most linux distros have Firefox installed by default?

I use FF mobile because ublock and an extension that lets youtube play in the background
If you want adblockers on mobile, install Vivaldi or Brave from their official website.