Mozilla: The Decentralized Web of Hate - Mozilla joins the fight against decentralization

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
Mozilla has published some research about fighting the proliferation of decentralized technologies, naming Matrix, the Fediverse, IPFS, cryptocurrencies and forums in general among others. I've attached the full report to this post.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/blog/fellow-research-decentralized-web-hate/ https://archive.vn/YS0aC

New research from Mozilla Fellow Emmi Bevensee examines how P2P technologies are being leveraged to spread toxic content — and how some are pushing back.

Decentralized and open-source technologies play an outsized role in keeping the internet healthy. But like any technology, they can also be harnessed by bad actors — and put to use making the internet a less healthy, more dangerous place.

Today, Mozilla Fellow Emmi Bevensee is publishing a new research into just this: How hate groups in the U.S. are using Peer-2-Peer (P2P) technologies to spread disinformation, amplify toxic content, and incite violence. The report, titled “The Decentralized Web of Hate” is an investigation into the online tools and tactics used by the modern white supremacist movement and will be published by the Rebellious Data LLC consulting firm that Emmi and their team are launching to do social good data science. The report also examines possible solutions to current problems.

Says Emmi: “As major internet platforms like Twitter and YouTube crack down on hate groups, these online communities don’t just go away. Instead, there’s been an exodus to spaces that are more difficult to scrutinize and moderate, but still have the potential to reach a mass audience.”

“As a result, toxic and dangerous content continues to flourish online. And, it’s now happening in the decentralized spaces that could be havens from harassment for queer, trans, and PoC communities as well as social justice movements more broadly.”

As major internet platforms like Twitter and YouTube crack down on hate groups, these online communities don’t just go away.​

~
Among Emmi’s key findings in the report:

Radicalization is becoming harder to address. Major platforms like YouTube use imperfect algorithms for both recommendations and automatic content moderation. They host communities that can misinform and radicalize impressionable users. “Radicalization” refers to pipelines where users are exposed to more extreme forms of racist ideologies and behaviors over time. Centralized approaches to moderation, such as a top-down moderation or safety team, don’t work on P2P technology because the technology itself relies on decentralizing authority. As more white supremacists continue to migrate to P2P technology, the risk that they organize violence through these tools also increases.

Modern hate is not as responsive to top-down deterrence. As many white supremacists themselves expand use of “leaderless” tactics, they are becoming more agile at routing around centralized approaches to thwart their efforts such as policy, automatic content moderation, or the arrests of “lone-wolf” attackers. The decentralization of white supremacist groups is being increasingly facilitated by irrepressible and encrypted P2P technology. As such, many methods from typical government systems and structures, such as legislation or surveillance, are proving less effective at the more modern threat landscape. Only a network can defeat a network.

There are emerging decentralized solutions. Certain P2P tools have introduced novel ideas for combating harmful content. Some platforms have unveiled user agreements and urged their communities to block support for problematic tools. Other platforms have introduced “abuse audits” to identify and mitigate potential threats to users. Because of the technical and social nature of the problems we face, our solutions must also be largely decentralized.

Decentralization helps to solve many problems, but also raises new challenges. P2P technologies can advance many of society’s greatest coordination problems, from public transportation and supply chains to positive social connectedness and collaboration. However, the challenges that they ask us to face don’t have easy solutions.

To read the full report, visit rebelliousdata.com/p2p.

Additionally, many white supremacist terror networks have turned to decentralized communication technologies such as Riot built on Matrix (which have been rebranded as Element and Element Matrix Services, respectively) for encrypted direct messaging capacity. While this technology also provides critical infrastructure for human-rights activists across the globe, it is also used by white supremacists like the Feuerkrieg Division who aspire to armed white-supremacist insurrection using explosives and illegal firearms and targeting major infrastructure such as electrical grids. This organization is modeled in part after their sibling organization The Base, who are scrambling after a series of arrests and high profile exposés following various related murders, bomb plots, and attempted murders. Their efforts include an attempt to start a large-scale protracted race war narrowly thwarted by antifascists and the FBI and they organize, as well, in part over Riot.

Tools such as Inter-Planetary File System and Bitchute are being used to host hate content in ways that are extremely difficult to censor. The Internet Archive is working to make a P2P version of its archives, which also hosts hate group content. While the prospect of resilient hosting of things like manifestos and terrorism guidebooks may be frightening, tools like IPFS and a P2P version of Internet Archive also have valid use cases such as preserving evidence of war crimes, activism, and citizen journalism amidst pressure from repressive governments. Rob Monster, who makes a living protecting alt-right websites such as Gab through his company Epik, uploaded the Christchurch attackers manifesto to IPFS. Similarly, Weev of Daily Stormer infamy said that he would now be posting all of his written and video content on IPFS after GoDaddy, Google, and Cloudflare refused to support his neo-nazi pet projects. BitChute was publicly scolded for its hosting of a wide range of white-supremacist vloggers.

Attachments

• P2P-Hate-Report.pdf
    790.9 KB · Views: 61
This is where all the donations to Mozilla end up. Not for fixing their fucked-up tech, but for muh white supremacists. Who would have thought we'd see the day when Mozilla argues against an open and unfettered internet?

Emmi Bevensee.jpg

Emmi Bevensee , nazi hunter tranny​

This is why I laugh at anyone who still uses Firefox for political reasons. It is not an exaggeration when people say Mozilla is worse than Google now. For fucks sake, they forcefully install addons to your installation unless you manually turn that setting off, not even Chrome does that!
Is Brave the recommend alternative then?

Lol is that subhuman autistic troon seriously pretending that BitChute is 'decentralised'? I swear these people do more accidential marketing than damage for the platforms they oppose.
Some Bitchute videos have torrent links, but I've never had one actually work. I think that is something they may have abandoned.

Last edited:

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
Some Bitchute videos have torrent links, but I've never had one actually work. I think that is something they may have abandoned.
When it initially launched they used a WebTorrent based MP4 player that would connect to their own tracker and download from any other users who happened to have the exact same video open in the web player (so.. maybe 0.01% of videos would ever have had even 1KB of data downloaded that way) or a standalone webtorrent client (there is like one of these, it's an Electrum app and absolutely terrible, so noone would ever have actually used this).

Of course, that also allowed anyone who wanted to learn a bit more about BitChute's users and what they were watching to just connect to the tracker and iterate through torrents every now and then, which is something that most users weren't really aware of and likely would have freaked out over had they known. People raised it with them and they decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

When noone was actually seeding the torrent, the player would just download from a 'webseed' (i.e. regular HTTP link). That's the .mp4 link that you see in the magnet links they provide. They do link a webtorrent tracker or too in the magnet link too, but they don't even use the webtorrent technology in the normal player now so it will absolutely never be used, the only place that the files download from is the webseed link, and on a lot of torrent clients the inclusion of the webtorrent trackers breaks even that. You should also be able to just get the .mp4 seed link from the source of the page or use youtube-dl.

Tiggie_Tiger

Observes furries for a living.
Got any examples? I never used Rust because I never had a reason to try it, since I use GC languages primarily.
Its been a long time since I've touched Rust. There is a lot of syntactical inconsistencies across the language with a crap load of features that are completely useless. And there is a shit load of other complex crap slapped on top of it. To the competent programmer, its unbelievably useless. The thing is, I don't even know why it exists. What problem it is trying to solve? This is why I love languages like C. Because its a simple language (yet extremely powerful) that ASSUMES that you know what you're doing. And supported on a variety of compilers. My favorite being TCC. The fact I can take my source code elsewhere without being dependent on a single compiler or some other shit, is why its my language of choice.

Tiggie_Tiger

Observes furries for a living.
Yeah, Rust being dependent on LLVM really makes me uncomfortable. I think that's another reason I'm kind of holding out. TCC kicks ass.
Its kinda scary how so many languages are based around virtual machines now. Its sad, because they are so many GOOD new languages yet they can not be compiled directly to machine code without being dependent on a single compiler by the language author, and no one cares to make anything universal. Beef programming language, being a perfect example of this.

cjöcker

Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage
True & Honest Fan
Personally I don't mind rust that much because I like its emphasis on safety but I don't have much experience with it since I don't do stuff which needs a language like Rust. It's worth giving a try.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
Personally I don't mind rust that much because I like its emphasis on safety but I don't have much experience with it since I don't do stuff which needs a language like Rust. It's worth giving a try.

Yeah I'm not saying I'll never use it, just that I currently don't have any reason to use it right now, and I haven't found any compelling reasons to start.
I rarely work with bare metal languages though, I'd probably want to become proficient in C and sharpen my skills in designing architectures in it before developing any actual desire to depend on Rust.