Multi-level marketing/pyramid schemes and the people who fall for them -

booklover

kiwifarms.net
I've long wondered how people decide to start an MLM. My guess is that they've come up with some product that they couldn't get into a store, and an MLM is the way to unload it (and make some $$$$$$ in the meantime).

• Optimistic
Reactions: Rand /pol/

IBrokeBob

kiwifarms.net
Saw this online today. The huns have not been killed off by corona yet. Its someone shilling Young Living essential oils. This doesnt seem wise as the oil will seep thru the fabric and get on your skin. I believe you are NOT supposed to let the undiluted oils on your skin because they can irritate or burn them.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Saw this online today. The huns have not been killed off by corona yet. Its someone shilling Young Living essential oils. This doesnt seem wise as the oil will seep thru the fabric and get on your skin. I believe you are NOT supposed to let the undiluted oils on your skin because they can irritate or burn them.

This is some plague-tier shit. And it didn't work then, either.

Kiwi Lime Pie

The tasteful summer treat. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
From the Detox/Woo thread:
What about wraps? It Works!™
I suspect the financial crunch people are facing due to COVID-19 related restrictions have led someone I know to jump back on the MLM bandwagon after not peddling any on their main social media account for an extended period of time.

A recent post of theirs opened with:
If you could take 1 supplement at breakfast and 1 at lunch and could lose up to 30 pounds in 90 days, would you?

Following that was the boast of "So excited!!!" and the following image of products from It Works.
w-cap-20200429-itworks.jpg

It's understandable that people who currently have a smaller paycheck, or none at all, are looking for ways to make up for the lost income because any combination of reduced pay, unemployment and TrumpBux might not be sufficient to cover fixed monthly expenses. However, jumping into an MLM that might require someone to make a substantial investment in initial inventory and to encourage everyone the person knows to buy overpriced woo whose health benefits are dubious at best and detrimental at worst goes beyond horrifying.

More importantly, how successful can starting an MLM be right now? Selling MLM products to people at the suggested prices will be difficult at best because many people have no disposable income right now and those that do are likely being more careful with their spending just in case they incur reduced hours or layoffs the longer COVID-19 related restrictions drag out.
---
Another quote I found from the Woo thread worth replying to:
Oh right, another thing, these quacks will try to trick people into thinking they have a medical degree by adding the suffix of "N.D." to their name. It's an intentionally dubious descriptor--especially how similar it is to "M.D.," or "medical doctor," the suffix for an actively practicing and licensed doctor. "N.D.," of course, standing for "natural doctor," and it's as prestigious and legitimate as you'd expect.
Further proof of the "value" of an N.D. title can be found over at Anna Johnson's (aka the FitVeganGinger) thread.

The Un-Clit

After the Dimensional Merge, pussy eats YOU!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want to know how they convince themselves that they are "business owners" or "entrepreneurs". No, you are sales people.
Because the MLM companies insist that their 'agents' are business owners. Same with the companies that emply 'independant contractors'. That way they don't have to collect and pay taxes, provide insurance benefits, follow the law and provide all the many other advantages that being an employee of a company gives, and costs the company in question.

One of the oldest employee abuse techniques known since labour laws were enacted.

Last edited:

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've long wondered how people decide to start an MLM. My guess is that they've come up with some product that they couldn't get into a store, and an MLM is the way to unload it (and make some $$$$$$ in the meantime).
No, they just want to run a pyramid scheme and simply look for a product to use for it. It’s entirely about the shady business scam/model and the product is an afterthought. MLMs will use any product to try and create that pyramid.

I saw a lady who tried to start one with those stupid “paint by number“ kits that use little plastic gems to create tacky pictures of tropical islands. Guess it wasn’t a good choice because it seems she just took off with everyone’s money that was looking to get in on the “top of the pyramid” of a new MLM scheme.

Many serial MLM peeps are very aware they are in a scams. They have been burned but are convinced if they can find and get in on the ground floor of one that takes off then they can get rich off all the other suckers beneath them. This is why so many MLM’s can get launched because there’s so many scumbags thinking they are getting in early enough to be in the top 1% of the pyramid.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
This is some plague-tier shit. And it didn't work then, either.
The thing I keep hearing about is "thieves oil," applied by thieves who went into houses abandoned by plague victims to loot them.

First off, they wouldn't have been using "essential" oils. They would have been using a different type of oil. (Essential oils are bullshit, but that's another post.)

Secondly, do you really want to associate yourself with thieves? (You're in an MLM so yes)

tasty humane burger

hokey cokey, pig in a pokey!
kiwifarms.net
i got invited into a Pure Romance fb group. Im kinda intrigued as to the info I could gather for here but then again, i may be irreparably damaged by listening to hunbots about how they get their rocks off.

Hmmmm, quite the dilemma
I've been invited to so many since lockdown it's unreal. I think I posted this further up in the thread but FM Fragrances seems to be doing the rounds amongst girls I know and I've been bombarded with messages asking me if I want my favourite scent for 💄 SO 💷 MUCH 👛 CHEAPER 🤪 HUN 🙈🧼🤑. One girl I knew from primary school has signed up to about 4 MLM's since lockdown including Avon, Anne Summers and two random ones shilling health supplements. I dunno if she thinks shes a really smart businesswoman but her constantly adding me to secret groups after I leave is not making me curious about her products that's for sure.

I sometimes stick around the Bodyshop ones because I genuinely like Bodyshop and if a hun starts sperging about a new product I know I can go into store or order online directly from Bodyshop and get it.

Reactions: fuxetudeto

IBrokeBob

kiwifarms.net
lol imagine using facebook
Hey, I'm a grandma and old as fuck. You young whippersnappers mock it all you want but there are important but vague and attention seeking warnings about sketchy men trying to kidnap women and children in walmart that i need to now about. also there are important warnings about not flashing my headlights or a gang member will kill me as part of their gang initiation. Not to mention the helpful advice about rotating the air in my tires.

Constellationzero

kiwifarms.net
Hey, I'm a grandma and old as fuck. You young whippersnappers mock it all you want but there are important but vague and attention seeking warnings about sketchy men trying to kidnap women and children in walmart that i need to now about. also there are important warnings about not flashing my headlights or a gang member will kill me as part of their gang initiation. Not to mention the helpful advice about rotating the air in my tires.
Don't forget to stop by Auto Zone and pick up some blinker fluid.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
While I was sorting out the mail yesterday I discovered one of our mentally disabled clients has some level of involvement with doTerra, as they have a $300+ bill with them. They purchased something called a "wellness package" or whatever (most expensive single item) plus "motivational" CDs.

And no, there's likely very little that can be done about it. They can be advised on what to do/don't by the various people that work with them, but unless they're overruled legally/too retarded to communicate meaningfully, they still make their own decisions. *sigh*

JaneThough

Part of your world
kiwifarms.net
While I was sorting out the mail yesterday I discovered one of our mentally disabled clients has some level of involvement with doTerra, as they have a $300+ bill with them. They purchased something called a "wellness package" or whatever (most expensive single item) plus "motivational" CDs.

And no, there's likely very little that can be done about it. They can be advised on what to do/don't by the various people that work with them, but unless they're overruled legally/too retarded to communicate meaningfully, they still make their own decisions. *sigh*
Sounds like your client is exactly who MLMs are marketing towards. They hope people don't know enough to look deeper and see what a scam it is.

My friend's sister has been in MLMs. She was in Herbalife for a while, then Younique and now she's doing some gummy vitamins or something. It's all the same BS FB posts, random people telling her how much they love the gummies and they want to order (aka fellow huns trying to make it look like she is doing business). She's apparently on her way to becoming a millionaire, but still works full time in retail.

The Un-Clit

After the Dimensional Merge, pussy eats YOU!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i got invited into a Pure Romance fb group. Im kinda intrigued as to the info I could gather for here but then again, i may be irreparably damaged by listening to hunbots about how they get their rocks off.

Hmmmm, quite the dilemma
According to my ex-wife who attended a couple of these ages ago before the days of The Huns. IRC and ICQ were the closest thing to Facebook chat at the time and while MLMs jumped on it fairly quickly, it took many years and the dawn of first Myspace and then Facebook before Hun culture took off.

Anyway got off topic there. But according to her, what went on was mostly a lot of schoolgirl giggling as big black cock dildoes and clitoris massagers and more exotic shit were passed around. I was kinda curious as to how it went myself, but being a BRUTE MALE I wasn't allowed to attend even the one my ex hosted at our place (for which she got a free mini-vibrator or something) so I had to go on secondhand info later.

Last edited:
Tags
None