Multi-level marketing/pyramid schemes and the people who fall for them

IBrokeBob

kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid, probably in the mid 90s, a Kirby salesman came to my house and did a demonstration. I remember it because he told some ridiculous story about how one customer of his had to order new wheels because his 2 year old daughter somehow gathered hundreds of feet of extension cord, plugged them all together, lugged the Kirby down to the sidewalk and then rode it around the neighborhood all day long until the tires wore off. That was just how durable a Kirby is, he said.

My mom had a thing for those shitty "canister" vacuums where you drag it around by the hose, banging it into all the furniture as you went, so we did not get a Kirby. Also the fact $1200 is a bit much for a vacuum.

I actually do own one now though. Found it in the basement of an abandoned house I was cleaning out. It's a 1973 Omega model. I cleaned and fixed it up nice but it weighs too much to actually want to use and has enough suction to pull carpets off the floor. I guess people collect them?
View attachment 890173
That's one just like it. You'll notice the handle looks hollow? It's because it is. It actually has a coin slot in the back of the handle that you were supposed to put change into each time you used it, then empty it out each month to put toward the payments on the heavy bastard thing. That's just bizarre.

Wow, that bit about the coin slot is truly bizarre. Kinda clever but still bizarre.

i told this before I'm sure but I remember the Kirby guy coming to our house in the 80s. It was really weird how they took the vacuum apart to show how you could use it in your workshop and the motor of it would power various accessories that were also available for sale by kirby to turn the vacuum into assorted power tools. As a kid I was fascinated by all of the things this vacuum could do that had nothing to do with vacuuming.

He talked as if the motor of this thing would change our entre lives and our homes. I remember that it cost more than the gocart that I had my eye on that year.

Fortunately my parents were smart and bought me the gocart instead of investing in the Kirby. But that is hilarious that the salesman said that kid rode the wheels off the kirby.

Kiwi Lime Pie

Tastefully melting away the snowflakes. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
Involvement with an MLM appears to have enough appeal right now for people to seriously consider them as an option to replace income lost because of the pandemic. I've seen at least two people get onboard with nail overlays that remind me of the former Jamberry stuff that was popular in the past. One such example:

watermarked-screencap-nails.jpg

Interestingly enough, the tax treatment of MLM-related income and gifts was a topic in this year's online Federal Income Tax course. Perhaps this is because the IRS anticipates an increase of people involved with an MLM this year.

The Un-Clit

After the Dimensional Merge, pussy eats YOU!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Involvement with an MLM appears to have enough appeal right now for people to seriously consider them as an option to replace income lost because of the pandemic. I've seen at least two people get onboard with nail overlays that remind me of the former Jamberry stuff that was popular in the past. One such example:

View attachment 1750875

Interestingly enough, the tax treatment of MLM-related income and gifts was a topic in this year's online Federal Income Tax course. Perhaps this is because the IRS anticipates an increase of people involved with an MLM this year.

I got a strange one a couple weeks back; mail from 'a neighbor' who was a Jayho (not that strange) and included both a copy of the usual bullshit lit, AND a business card shilling a fucking faith-focussed MLM! I wish i had kept the card so I could remember the name now but i quickly trashed the whole letter after snickering a few times. 'tis the season, i guess.

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1750875

Pyramid schemes have been such a well worn and known scam it’s a bit fascinating to watch them gain in popularity again thanks to having the new vehicle of social media to peddle them. It’s really wild how SM has added entirely new types of fuel to the dumpster fires that are MLMs.

They are ridiculously incestuous now. A new spin on these scam is having various MLM hacks “trade” with each other in “raffles” on social media to meet their monthly sales goals. A sensy raffle loser rep will buy products from winning younique and a herbalife reps.

They also do these absolutely insane FB live streams to sell products. Imagine a 32 year old recovering meth addict, single mom, full face make-up, in a trailer, doing her own version of QVC at her kitchen table with her 8 year old and neighbor lady as special guests.

Has Lularoe completely tanked now? Their cheap polyester clothing seems to filling up all the goodwills and charity shops. I couldn’t determine if it was from all the busted sales reps or if they have actually had to clear out their warehouses by giving the shit away. How that cheap ugly garbage ever sold at any price is beyond me.

Kiwi Lime Pie

kiwifarms.net
Pyramid schemes have been such a well worn and known scam it’s a bit fascinating to watch them gain in popularity again thanks to having the new vehicle of social media to peddle them. It’s really wild how SM has added entirely new types of fuel to the dumpster fires that are MLMs.
The combination of the internet/social media and people's desires to make money fast right now to replace income lost due to the pandemic is a perfect storm of sorts for MLMs to become popular again. I just wonder how successful they could be right now when the people these MLM folks are trying to sell to probably have less disposable income as well and might not be able to afford the (overpriced?) products.

I'm not looking forward to seeing more MLM-related posts containing 👏 emoji 👑 overload and excessive hashtags #bossbabe.

They also do these absolutely insane FB live streams to sell products. Imagine a 32 year old recovering meth addict, single mom, full face make-up, in a trailer, doing her own version of QVC at her kitchen table with her 8 year old and neighbor lady as special guests.
It's not even that. Even people who might otherwise be seen as normies that shill for MLMs are doing that. I believe I've previously mentioned someone I know who (still) sells and promotes Arbonne outside of her dayjob. She's also doing near-daily FB live posts to tout Arbonne as an essential part of her healthy lifestyle. Even though I've never taken time to watch/listen to them, I'm pretty sure they follow the usual formula of, "It helps me, so why aren't you contacting me right now so you can feel good/better too?!?!"

To answer your question about Lularoe, I have no idea what's happened to them since the pandemic. I swear I saw or heard an ad for it right before COVID struck, but I'm not 100% sure. I was just surprised by it given all the Lularoe-related horror stories I've read here.

cuddle striker

I will need a sword to destroy my enemies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Dysnomia

Anime Avatar
kiwifarms.net

They are ridiculously incestuous now. A new spin on these scam is having various MLM hacks “trade” with each other in “raffles” on social media to meet their monthly sales goals. A sensy raffle loser rep will buy products from winning younique and a herbalife reps.

Has Lularoe completely tanked now? Their cheap polyester clothing seems to filling up all the goodwills and charity shops. I couldn’t determine if it was from all the busted sales reps or if they have actually had to clear out their warehouses by giving the shit away. How that cheap ugly garbage ever sold at any price is beyond me.

There was a small store at the mall called Leggings World. It was all hideous printed leggings. It was run by some foreigners and I have to wonder if they all went in on Lularoe thinking they'd make a fortune. Before that they sold pajamas. No one really went in the store though.

I've seen a few suspect cheapo clothing stores. It could just be money laundering.

Deathfat darling from the Holler, Simply Sara, does Tupperware and Paparazzi streams from her horribly cluttered kitchen.

Paparazzi jewelry is hideous and cheap. I've looked at pics and most of what I saw was super tacky.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
How that cheap ugly garbage ever sold at any price is beyond me.
My guess is that the main market was deeply religious women with a limited selection of clothes in physical stores that they could wear. I think only Mormons have official rules about dress beyond underclothes (just going by the Mormon girls I went to high school with), but really religious people/women seem to follow the same guidelines: nothing above the knee, no bare shoulders (or too much upper arm in general), no visible cleavage. Lularoe garbage hit all the guidelines, even though it looks retarded. Also factor in how many religious women get involved in pyramid schemes, or know someone involved.

And then there's the start-up price. Most pyramid schemes trick people out of a few hundred in starting fees, but Lularoe demanded thousands as a minimum, on top of the constant demand for their people to keep buying more product under the guise that it'll make sales. It all adds up pretty quickly for the family at the top, and their closest associates. Especially since they made their product for dirt cheap by not paying the garment makers enough, or having any sort of quality control normally seen with regular clothes in stores.

Discourteous Discourse

¡THIS CHEESE IS BURNING ME!™
kiwifarms.net
Paparazzi jewelry is hideous and cheap. I've looked at pics and most of what I saw was super tacky.
It's all ugly, even more so in person. Incoming PL - I first saw a wall of Paparazzi jewelry at a boutique that normally carries way better brands that use quality metals and beautiful stones. I'm guessing one of the employees was suckered into buying it and convinced her boss to let her peddle it by the front door where you couldn't miss the display. It was shockingly cheap. Like rings from 25 cent machines at Walmart have a better chance of passing as quality metals. Customers looked down as they walked past. No one wanted to be caught glancing at the garbage heap only to be approached by someone trying to sell them 10 sets of jewelry that are made of plastic so poor in quality that they break faster than Kroger shopping bags.

About 2 minutes away from that boutique is a thrift store that always has a small mountain of Paparazzi jewelry on one of the tables. Suckers like Simply Sara buy heaps of it then are shocked that they can't sell it. Even a child will tell you that it's junk. The thrift store owner prices it at ten cents a pop, sometimes has free giveaway days, and yet the load continues to pile up.

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net
A lot of the fundie and munchie cows seem to get sucked into MLMs eventually. I know Anna Johnson shills Young Living on and off, and I suspect muchie by proxy horrorcow Krissy Klein's clothing boutique is some kind of MLM (though she's pretty quiet about which one it is). Also the late Sha'nann or whatever her name was whose husband murdered her and her kids was apparently a munchie big into MLMs and forced her kids to shill them in videos.

I think women from conservative backgrounds who lack both education and opportunities are easy prey for this shit, especially if they have kids.

MirnaMinkoff

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A lot of the fundie and munchie cows seem to get sucked into MLMs eventually. I know Anna Johnson shills Young Living on and off, and I suspect muchie by proxy horrorcow Krissy Klein's clothing boutique is some kind of MLM (though she's pretty quiet about which one it is). Also the late Sha'nann or whatever her name was whose husband murdered her and her kids was apparently a munchie big into MLMs and forced her kids to shill them in videos.

I think women from conservative backgrounds who lack both education and opportunities are easy prey for this shit, especially if they have kids.
Yeah the role MLMs played in the Watts murders was seriously under-reported. Thrive hired a PR team to send flying monkeys screaming victim blaming any time the MLM aspect was mentioned in the media, so it rarely was.
Shan’nan had been involved in many, many MLMs during her marriage. It resulted in bankruptcies and living way beyond their means. (The fake till you make it BS that encourages MLMs rep to take on serious debt to give the impression of success.) The financial ruin aside, and finances are the number one cause of martial strife, the cult like mentality and pressure used in these groups can totally warp every relationship a MLM rep has. It makes them use friends and family members as “leads” and piggy banks.

The mentality it encourages is toxic af. It is exactly like a cult. MLM’s destroy marriages, friendships and relationships. Shan’nan made her husband and children represent the “Thrive” BS and forced them into bizarre ad campaigns and live streams to promote a fantasy that was totally detached from reality. As she promoted all the riches and success Thrive had brought her, in reality the family was broke, couldn’t afford their home, school fees and was heading for a second bankruptcy in five years. All this even though Chris was making a good salary. Any normal family could have lived comfortably on his salary.

Shan’nan also had munchie tendencies which she used as a sort of control mechanism over her daughters and as a way to guilt Chris as far as her own “medical issues.” Sha’nan was also known to keep a meticulously clean home, and to the extent she did it was indicative of a OCD/control type thing.

I post all this because discussion like this was almost entirely banned from forums. It shouldn’t have to be said but obviously Shan’nan didn’t deserve to be murdered and Chris is a evil fucking monster and child killer. However, the way MLMs brought turmoil and financial ruin to the Watts household certainly played a big factor in the murders. Given Shan’an’s very controlling and dramatic behavior I’m sure Chris thought he could never divorce her - she’d never allow it. Her third pregnancy was certainly a result of her trying to keep Chris in the marriage. Obviously to Chris a dead Shan’an was an easier psychological proposition than dealing with divorcing her. Murdering his children just put him on a whole other level from spousal murder and into a family annihilator. Had he just killed his wife there would have been minimal interest

I’ll also add that Shan’an’s BFF, the woman who called the cops about her being missing and part of Shan’an’s Thrive downline...spent the year after the murders using all the hype and media coverage to help promote her Thrive “business”

TurdFondler

BBQ Wars Casualty
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow, that bit about the coin slot is truly bizarre. Kinda clever but still bizarre.

i told this before I'm sure but I remember the Kirby guy coming to our house in the 80s. It was really weird how they took the vacuum apart to show how you could use it in your workshop and the motor of it would power various accessories that were also available for sale by kirby to turn the vacuum into assorted power tools. As a kid I was fascinated by all of the things this vacuum could do that had nothing to do with vacuuming.

He talked as if the motor of this thing would change our entre lives and our homes. I remember that it cost more than the gocart that I had my eye on that year.

Fortunately my parents were smart and bought me the gocart instead of investing in the Kirby. But that is hilarious that the salesman said that kid rode the wheels off the kirby.
I absolutely believe there was a market for this. Popular mechanics and other DIY mags were fully of plans for shop tools, all of which needed an electric motor.

Keep in mind the buyers would have been close enough that the great depression was in living memory, and were used to having a single motor for every implement on the farm. If they needed a good belt drive electric motor and a vacuum anyway...

I seriously doubt anyone would have disassembled their Kirby on the regular but the sales pitch was solid.

JaneThough

We are preexisting conditions
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah the role MLMs played in the Watts murders was seriously under-reported. Thrive hired a PR team to send flying monkeys screaming victim blaming any time the MLM aspect was mentioned in the media, so it rarely was.
Shan’nan had been involved in many, many MLMs during her marriage. It resulted in bankruptcies and living way beyond their means. (The fake till you make it BS that encourages MLMs rep to take on serious debt to give the impression of success.) The financial ruin aside, and finances are the number one cause of martial strife, the cult like mentality and pressure used in these groups can totally warp every relationship a MLM rep has. It makes them use friends and family members as “leads” and piggy banks.

The mentality it encourages is toxic af. It is exactly like a cult. MLM’s destroy marriages, friendships and relationships. Shan’nan made her husband and children represent the “Thrive” BS and forced them into bizarre ad campaigns and live streams to promote a fantasy that was totally detached from reality. As she promoted all the riches and success Thrive had brought her, in reality the family was broke, couldn’t afford their home, school fees and was heading for a second bankruptcy in five years. All this even though Chris was making a good salary. Any normal family could have lived comfortably on his salary.

Shan’nan also had munchie tendencies which she used as a sort of control mechanism over her daughters and as a way to guilt Chris as far as her own “medical issues.” Sha’nan was also known to keep a meticulously clean home, and to the extent she did it was indicative of a OCD/control type thing.

I post all this because discussion like this was almost entirely banned from forums. It shouldn’t have to be said but obviously Shan’nan didn’t deserve to be murdered and Chris is a evil fucking monster and child killer. However, the way MLMs brought turmoil and financial ruin to the Watts household certainly played a big factor in the murders. Given Shan’an’s very controlling and dramatic behavior I’m sure Chris thought he could never divorce her - she’d never allow it. Her third pregnancy was certainly a result of her trying to keep Chris in the marriage. Obviously to Chris a dead Shan’an was an easier psychological proposition than dealing with divorcing her. Murdering his children just put him on a whole other level from spousal murder and into a family annihilator. Had he just killed his wife there would have been minimal interest

I’ll also add that Shan’an’s BFF, the woman who called the cops about her being missing and part of Shan’an’s Thrive downline...spent the year after the murders using all the hype and media coverage to help promote her Thrive “business”
I agree that they don't talk enough about this in coverage of the Watts murder. The whole culture is very toxic and breeds more toxicity and desperation.

Marlee Barnhill was killed by her husband at her birthday party, and the last thing she posted before this was a Younique video.

Android raptor

"an honest-to-God BPD womanchild misanthrope"
kiwifarms.net

Any screencaps? Or sites that document and discuss the MLM aspect of the case? This sounds like a pretty incredible, horrific garbage fire.

Not surprised they were living beyond their means, I remember they had an ugly McMansion and everything in the Netflix documentary.

Aren't there MLM huns who act as flying monkeys for Sha'nann to this day?

MirnaMinkoff

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any screencaps? Or sites that document and discuss the MLM aspect of the case? This sounds like a pretty incredible, horrific garbage fire.

Not surprised they were living beyond their means, I remember they had an ugly McMansion and everything in the Netflix documentary.

Aren't there MLM huns who act as flying monkeys for Sha'nann to this day?

didn’t take any caps at the time, wouldn’t have occurred to me back then. My initial interest in the case was because of her MLM involvement. I have a pet interest in cult psychology and many MLMs are cults and/or use very similar tactics of cults.

There is so much footage of Shan’an and the family only because of her Thrive involvement. All those videos, even with the kids and Chris, were all videos done to promote Thrive. She uploaded almost everyday to promote the shit. She sent both their small children to expensive special daycare/pre-school so she could work all day on “Thrive”. The “business trip” she returned from the night she was killed was yet another Thrive seminar - she went to so many Thrive seminars, sometimes with Chris. Any vacation footage you see of her and Chris were Thrive trips. Shanon mostly paid out of pocket for all the trips, but I think one was a prize for being a top recruiter or some shit.

The Lexus she drove was leased for her by Thrive. Rather than paying cash money Thrive liked to lease luxury cars for some of their rising reps to give the illusion they were pulling in big bucks. If her stats went down bye bye Lexus. They couldn’t even afford a car for Chris, he only had a work truck that had GPS on it to ensure work only usage.

Much of the family income went down the toilet to fuel Shanon’s participation in and delusions of Thrive success. She even convinced Chris that Thrive was instrumental to keeping her and the girls healthy from all their vague maladies. She got Chris on a strict diet and Thrive patches so she could sell the idea that he got in shape using Thrive.

Thrive corporate was immediately on the defense as soon as she went missing and it made the national news. They did not want their brand becoming associated with a famous murder. They hired a crisis PR team. They were all too aware of the fact their BS causes huge family issues and bankruptcies and didn’t want that aspect reported in the media or questions asked about their company’s influence on Shan’an or what they did or didn’t pay her. The fact she had just returned from a Thrive seminar was always reported as a “business trip” as if Shanon had some sort of regular job.

I think Chris was actually confused, he knew the family was drowning in debt and nearly broke but also believed SW that she was so successful with Thrive.

The MLM issue was run off the Reddit boards repeatedly in 2018. Some people had done some good research showing SW involvement in five different MLMs in the three years before her death and more before their move to Colorado. She had issues with bad checks and other stuff in NC, and it pointed to MLM being the reason but I don’t think it could be confirmed either way. Anyway, all that stuff was deleted or downvoted to death because of all these accounts screaming about victim blaming and “how dare you.” I have no doubt that the crisis PR team usually started the hand wringing and it was easy enough to get a dogpile from there.

Chris’s mom talked a lot some of this stuff but her defense of Chris in general and dislike of SW made her be rejected as a source for anything.

The big case file that was released goes into some interesting details about her thrive activities. Chris discussed them, the programs they followed, almost all of SW friends were via her Thrive involvement and they were in constant daily contact about “the business.”

In the end I think SW murder ended up being a boon for Thrive. Instead of it becoming a warning for getting involved in MLMs SW became a martyr. She was a telegenic victim portrayed as a successful businesswoman and it probably got a lot of women involved. SW BFF Nickole Atkinson used, and still may be using, her media exposure to promote her own scammy Thrive business.

Here’s a Reddit detailing Nickole’s Thrive script and how she alludes to SW in her sales pitches.

I had not visited this Reddit in years but it looks like convos about the Thrive involvement are now more common and not squashed. Thrive probably dropped their retainer with the PR firm after Chris’s conviction and sentencing.

Kiwi Lime Pie

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure if it's the same thing but I've seen MLM people make social media posts encouraging small business owners to promote their businesses as replies to the post. Although it seems like a good idea in theory to help small business owners that might be struggling during the pandemic this holiday season, I suspect the catch is that those people are sent DMs informing them that they now have to buy products from the person's MLM in return for being allowed to post links to their small business. No thanks.

It may not necessarily be low-educated women. There are college graduates who get sucked into MLMs. Sure, many of them may still have a conservative, religious upbringing that contributes to their belief that they need to contribute something towards household income even if they are stay at home moms. However, that desire for extra income seems to be strong enough not to dismiss even for educated women.

Thrive hired a PR team to send flying monkeys screaming victim blaming any time the MLM aspect was mentioned in the media, so it rarely was.
I used to know someone who flooded their personal social media with non-stop pitches for Thrive products with the requisite pictures of product packaging or patches on various parts of her body. Although I'm not sure what led her to stop selling Thrive, I'd be curious if her departure coincided with this incident even if it wasn't the impetus for it.

I'm not surprised Thrive would aggressively present itself as legitimate business to the point that it would have spin doctors at its disposal to do what they could to blackhole any sort of negative publicity. Equally unsurprising would be the possibility that their contracts might have some sort of clause that allows them to terminate the agreement if an independent distributor does something that would tarnish the product name.

As much as this should be horrifying to read about, I'm neither shocked nor surprised because of reading prior posts and screencaps of people using death and other tragedies -- especially those of people around them -- to promote their unrelated MLM products. :heart-empty:

That said, the story about the role an MLM might have had in a horrific family murder case was both informative and horrifying. Still, that's not surprising because family finances are a source of marital conflict even without the added stress of MLMs that rarely result in any sort of meaningful net profit.

I suppose this goes hand in hand with another issue. Many MLM promotions claim people can make enough money that they could quit their existing jobs. I'm willing to bet the reality is that "make" refers to gross sales and not net profits. Sure, someone could make $50k/year in sales if they sold their MLM products full time. However, they'd be lucky to make a profit after expenses -- expecially for required inventory levels, marketing materials, and other unanticipated expenses required by the MLM company.

Monika H.

Your friendly neighborhood gravedigger
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Guess what came back to haunt my family?
You guessed it, fucking Herbalife again.
My German stepfather got diagnosed with a kidney tumor and osteosarcoma (cancer) in the pelvis area of the bone. Stepmom got contacted by many people obviously worried about him, but among those there was a hun who proposed guess what - Herbalife.
Immediately blocked.