• ”DO NOT ENGAGE IN COMBAT WITH THE RACE WAR VAN”

Community Munchausen's by Internet (Malingerers, Munchies, Spoonies, etc)Feigning Illnesses for Attention

Discussion in 'Beauty Parlour' started by Petronella, Jan 21, 2015.

Forum Guidelines

The Beauty Parlour is for women or not-women in the sphere of cosplay and the beauty industry that is not strictly limited to lolcows.

• Hide your powerlevel. Avoid revealing intimate, embarrassing details about yourself. Declaring a post powerleveling does not magically exempt you from this rule.
  • No thirst. No one cares if you want to have sex with someone. Reporting thirst posts to mods is encouraged.
  • Be civil. Don't get angry over Lolcows. If you need to tell people you're better than someone, you're probably not.
  • No trolling plans. We are not an autistic Illuminati. Failtrolls will be ridiculed mercilessly.

@Broken Pussy, @Melchett

1. (This thread has now been expanded to include all of Munchausen's by Internet scammers. You can read about the basics of this in this post.)

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Beccah_Beushausen
    http://getoffmyinternets.net/forums/mommy-bloggers/scam-blogger-rebeccah-beushausen-april-rose-hoax/

Back in 2009, Beccah Beushausen started a blog about her pregnancy with a severely handicapped child, and her decision not to have an abortion due to her Christian faith. Her blog attracted a huge following of fans who showered her with money and gifts in preparation of her baby's birth, and she even started selling her own shirts and other goodies for her supporters. Finally she delivered her daughter April Rose in a home birth, and blogged as the baby tragically died soon after birth.

The problem was that Beccah had never been pregnant. Her baby bump photos were faked, and the photos of her newborn baby were actually pictures of a ReBorn baby doll. Beccah finally admitted that the whole thing was made up and there really was no baby.

EDiots did some digging and discovered that Beccah had actually been a scam artist and pathological liar for years. They uncovered a huge laundry list of lies, many of which involved babies. For example, there were several occasions when Beccah claimed to be pregnant and offered to give the baby to a childless couple for money, only to disappear or suddenly "miscarry" once the cash came.

Beccah was relatively quiet for a while, but recently she was back yet again with a new sob story. Now married and going by the name Beccah Tabbert, she and her husband David have started a GoFundMe to raise money for medical expenses for their daughter, who allegedly has serious health problems. Whether this is legit or not remains to be seen.

• Informative Informative x 39
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #1 Petronella, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2017
    Petronella

Petronella A proper fucking lady

kiwifarms.net
  2. baby must be pretty damn handicapped if it came out as a plastic doll

• Winner Winner x 106
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Satan

Satan Simply the best, better then all the rest

kiwifarms.net
  3. I hate people like this.

• Agree Agree x 30
    • Feels Feels x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    Surtur

Surtur Destroyer of the Universe.
    Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  4. If that baby had been real, it would've been a cyclops. She didn't even bother to google the condition her baby supposedly had.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    harvey dirdban

harvey dirdban Nothing Positively Contributional

kiwifarms.net
  5. It's hard to find dolls of cyclops babies.

• Winner  x 17
    • Informative  x 4
    • Like  x 3
    • Agree  x 1
    • Feels  x 1
    • Autistic  x 1
    Meowthkip

Meowthkip Gotta have me a good lasaga.
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  6. You mean it would have been Asperia?

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Dilligaff

True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  7. Funny enough, the doll was her undoing. One of Beccah's followers owned the same model of ReBorn and couldn't help noticing the similarities between her doll and Beccah's "child."

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    Petronella

kiwifarms.net
  8. Oh boy. I met Beccah about six months or so after the fallout of her Dead Baby Blues. She was a friend of my brother's wife. The two things I took away from this are:

1. She was obsessed with being pregnant, maybe more broadly with "pregnancy" in general. I think there's a psychiatric term for this but you really didn't need a degree to pick up on it. It was like meeting a crazy man that thinks they're Napoleon, her obsessions were so close to the surface.

2. It still amazes me that there exists this bubble which internet infamy (and even local news infamy, as she Beccah's hoax was pretty extensively covered here) can't penetrate. Neither my brother's wife nor anyone around her really had much of an idea of what was going on -- just some vague notion that she was kind of at the center of something-something with people saying something-something about her.

• Informative Informative x 31
    • Like Like x 2
    • Powerlevel Powerlevel x 2
    #8 Artard, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Artard

Artard Feels dispenser

kiwifarms.net
  9. I'll never understand people who fetishize or obsess over pregnancy as a concept. I mean, sure, miracle of life and propagation of the species and yaddayaddayadda, but from the outside, all it looks like is this:

[​IMG]

• Winner  x 17
    • Agree  x 9
    • Like  x 3
    • Feels  x 1
    • Islamic Content  x 1
    BriarHeart

BriarHeart Literally Somebody

kiwifarms.net
  10. Because pregnant women get attention and free stuff.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    Petronella

kiwifarms.net
  11. Can someone explain how this person is a lolcow? I mean other than some obvious issues with pregnancy and a scam does she do anything particularly lolcowish?

• Dumb Dumb x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    kiwifarms.net
  12. Check.

Check.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Artard

Artard Feels dispenser

kiwifarms.net
  13. Don't think that's too funny but whatevs.

• Autistic Autistic x 5
    • Dumb Dumb x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    kiwifarms.net

14. Your contributions to this and other threads remain as invaluable as ever. Do you have an internet newsletter I can subscribe to?

• Like Like x 19
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    Artard

Artard Feels dispenser

kiwifarms.net
  15. The April Rose hoax was amazing, like Peter Coffin crossed with a dead baby joke and defended by the dumbest, most sanctimonious white knights imaginable. It's absolutely bonkers that this woman is back online and still asking for money.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Feels Feels x 2
    Durable Mike Malloy

Durable Mike Malloy Fine &/or dandy.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  16. Classic Munchausen by internet. People that get off on pretending to be sick or dying for attention and gifts. They're disgusting attention whores who take away from people who are actually terminal and they piss me the fuck off.

///ETA: There's a blog that's all about exposing fakes. It's not updated a lot but it's full of lulz. http://www.warriorelihoax.com/

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    SPARKLETWAT

SPARKLETWAT Fat Black Bitch

kiwifarms.net
  17. Has she done anything recently? It seems strange that someone with such a long track record of scamming would stop, despite being caught. A lot of the munchausen by Internet cases get revealed, but the perpetrator nonetheless comes back for more and to address the 'haters'.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Dalish

Dalish jewess bitch
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. Maybe this is the fodder for a larger thread about Munchausen By Internet? Coming across a classic MBI case or a compulsive liar/attention seeker with the potential to tear a community apart is kind of a rite of passage on the internet -- it's happened so often it's not even particularly noteworthy except in its scope.

The original "Warrior Eli" described on that site is a good example, as it went on for years. The saga of "Jesse Jubilee James" is another one -- one dumpy, lonely woman made up (and in many cases performed as) dozens of different characters in a multi-year hoax that went on long after her "main character" had succumbed to cancer.

I guess with how common it is, it's maybe less interesting to ask "why people do it" than "why people believe?" I've always thought that the anonymity of the internet encouraged skepticism -- people feeling less ashamed of asking hard questions of truly extraordinary medical circumstances?

But maybe it says something positive that people are willing to believe and be taken advantage of time and time again -- even when situations seem practically designed to invoke sympathy or garner attention.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Feels Feels x 2
    #18 Artard, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Artard

Artard Feels dispenser

kiwifarms.net
  19. You know, that's a very good point. For example, @For The Internet and I both participated in online communities that were fleeced by the same scammer under various guises. Interestingly, Chris Izer-Bedell appears to have targeted self-identified skeptics and critical thinkers. She'd gain community ingress under a persona that had the ring of truth, and then proceed to muddy the waters by playing off other members' lived experiences and strong emotions. By the time she started asking for money, those of us who suspected her of being a fraud were reluctant to speak up.

This woman took advantage of people's desire to remedy injustice and create a world that is kinder and more fair, leading ordinarily-circumspect individuals to behave in an extremely gullible way.

And when lots of people are willing to think, "Well, maybe this is all bullshit, but there's a tiny chance it's true and it costs me practically nothing to send $5/a little care package/whatever, so I guess I'll do it anyway," the overall community atmosphere of generosity and goodwill is very difficult to puncture.

After all, who really aspires to be this guy?
    t3veWsE.gif
    A competent scammer will see your Javert and raise you - say - Fantine. It's amazing how the same thing unfolds, over and over again.

• Feels Feels x 8
    #19 Durable Mike Malloy, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Durable Mike Malloy

Durable Mike Malloy Fine &/or dandy.
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  20. That wasn't free jinger was it?

I think we need a general lolcow thread for this. Because there are other really interesting occurrences such as 'Valerie'

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    Ariel

Ariel Sorbet
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
Tags:
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.