Community Munchausen's by Internet (Malingerers, Munchies, Spoonies, etc) - Feigning Illnesses for Attention

The 8 of Spades

This Is Our Church, These Are Your Sins.
kiwifarms.net
tl;dr: they had mass media telling them to be skinny and sickly, we didn't now how to medicine, everyone was dying, death was sexy, rich people loved getting water forced up their butts, and pretending to be at death's door was one of the few alternatives to rigid gender expectations.
That's really interesting. My focus is on modern media so I'm not really knowledge on Victorian times, but I'm hyped to check out that media your mentioned.

Kate Farms Shill

the bravest little spoonie
kiwifarms.net
That's really interesting. My focus is on modern media so I'm not really knowledge on Victorian times, but I'm hyped to check out that media your mentioned.
I did not know you could quote across threads, holy hell.

The same damned-if-you-do existed then too. If they were thin and fashionably dressed, they were seen as vapid and vain, but fat was definitely not okay and neither was "dressing down". Even the makeup trends back then were in emulation of sickness: they'd make their faces as pale as possible, even painting along their veins in light blue to make them more visible, then use stains to flush their cheeks and lips. Because that is what happens to the faces of people who are dying of tuberculosis. The munchausens-by-history rabbit hole goes deep.

jokemonkey

kiwifarms.net
Woah I was confused too about the forum switch! But if you have any more munchausen-related readings, they are fascinating to me so please recommend them. I have been reading medical case studies for years. This makes me sound like a weirdo, but it is what it is.

ETA, I did find the book list. Very interesting @katefarmsshil !

Last edited:
Reactions: Kate Farms Shill

Candidae

kiwifarms.net
I don't know how accurate this is but I was taught that some high class women would drain blood in order to appear more pale and faint/fragile before high class events. It doesn't sound too far off considering some of the descriptions of the ideal women in certain literature at the time and the romanticism of a beautiful sickly woman, so pale and fragile

Kate Farms Shill

kiwifarms.net
I don't know how accurate this is but I was taught that some high class women would drain blood in order to appear more pale and faint/fragile before high class events. It doesn't sound too far off considering some of the descriptions of the ideal women in certain literature at the time and the romanticism of a beautiful sickly woman, so pale and fragile
Blood letting was a common medical procedure. I don't know about it being used to make them pale. There were, however, arsenic-based "Complexion Wafers" that promised to clear and whiten the skin. It probably wasn't too extremely common, but there's actual tins and advertisements for them still in existence so we know they at least existed. They also used belladonna eye drops to dilate their pupils like someone dying, which isn't quite as crazy except they probably couldn't see for shit after that. Belladonna eye drops are what they use to dilate your pupils for an eye exam that make you not be able to see anything clearly until you blink them out.

Last edited:

A Seagull

I'll shit on your wife's tits.
kiwifarms.net
There was a bizarre obsession with tuberculosis back in the victorian era. It was a beauty ideal for both men and women. The wane, pale, skin with flushed cheeks and a dewy complexion from a fever, coupled with the dilated eyes to make them appear doe-eyed.a
The frail delicateness was a sign of a high class individual.
One of the reason Jane Austin was so different is that she saw this as unattractive. Mr. Darcy's original fiancee from the arranged marriage was described as consumptive. (Aka, had tuberculosis). She was not as desirable from Austin's story telling perspective as Lizzie, who would trounce through rain and muddy field to go see her sister.

MirnaMinkoff

Mama, nobody sends you a turd and expects to live.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There was a bizarre obsession with tuberculosis back in the victorian era. It was a beauty ideal for both men and women. The wane, pale, skin with flushed cheeks and a dewy complexion from a fever, coupled with the dilated eyes to make them appear doe-eyed.a
The frail delicateness was a sign of a high class individual.
One of the reason Jane Austin was so different is that she saw this as unattractive. Mr. Darcy's original fiancee from the arranged marriage was described as consumptive. (Aka, had tuberculosis). She was not as desirable from Austin's story telling perspective as Lizzie, who would trounce through rain and muddy field to go see her sister.
The “look” might have been coveted but actually having tuberculosis was not. Many engagements broken off because one partner was discovered to have consumption. (No one wanted to marry someone who would either die or be an invalid that would require care.) if you actually had TB you tried to hide it until the cough made it impossible and then you were sent away.

I think the romantic notions about it came from untimely young death. Many beautiful young people dying and leaving a lovely corpse, The tragedy of it all, etc...

Having real tuberculosis meant you were sent away to not-so-glamorous sanatoriums for quarantine and to either die or recover. The rich could afford nicer ones but even the poor were sent to TB hospitals once govt could afford to build them simply to keep them from infecting others.

It also made its way into the arts due to so many ppl being effected by it. Many great authors were born thanks to forced stays in sanatorium and their looming mortality and boredom spurred them start writing (Eugene O’Neil). Edvard Munch (artist famous for The Scream) sister died at 13 of tuberculosis. He painted her deathbed scene over and over again during his career.

StasisOne

kiwifarms.net
So Morgan is still on the autoimmune encephalitis boat even pulling the #brainonfire out. If Morgan truly had it I have large doubts shed be able to go on Facebook and #rep being #soopersick.
Laurie is posting about a trio to NYC where do they get the money afford to go all over the place for Morgan's imagined conditions and take getaways?
Side note; Morgan has gone back to her picture of showing off toobs ( I believe that she doesnt even have some them anymore) flipping the bird but guys you must #respect me because I'm #disabled.
Laurie also posted about Morgan being one step away from being homeless last summer. But, Morgan has never lived away from her parents. So that entirely makes no sense. But you can't have sense, if you've never had any to begin with

• Informative
Reactions: summerandtempest

AbraCadaver

Member of the SUIT YOURSELF Army
kiwifarms.net
The “look” might have been coveted but actually having tuberculosis was not. Many engagements broken off because one partner was discovered to have consumption. (No one wanted to marry someone who would either die or be an invalid that would require care.) if you actually had TB you tried to hide it until the cough made it impossible and then you were sent away.

I think the romantic notions about it came from untimely young death. Many beautiful young people dying and leaving a lovely corpse, The tragedy of it all, etc...

Having real tuberculosis meant you were sent away to not-so-glamorous sanatoriums for quarantine and to either die or recover. The rich could afford nicer ones but even the poor were sent to TB hospitals once govt could afford to build them simply to keep them from infecting others.

It also made its way into the arts due to so many ppl being effected by it. Many great authors were born thanks to forced stays in sanatorium and their looming mortality and boredom spurred them start writing (Eugene O’Neil). Edvard Munch (artist famous for The Scream) sister died at 13 of tuberculosis. He painted her deathbed scene over and over again during his career.
The notion of “pale and interesting” (the phrase for the Victorian complexion ideal fad) and the literary trope “too good for this sinful earth” (the obsession with young beautiful virgins dying a picturesque death) spring to mind.

Everyone in the Victorian age was so goddamn extra. Thank god they didn’t have instagram.

Kate Farms Shill

kiwifarms.net
The notion of “pale and interesting” (the phrase for the Victorian complexion ideal fad) and the literary trope “too good for this sinful earth” (the obsession with young beautiful virgins dying a picturesque death) spring to mind.

Everyone in the Victorian age was so goddamn extra. Thank god they didn’t have instagram.
If you ever need reinforcement that these people were obsessed with being over the top, check out the furniture in a middle-class Victorian parlor. It's like "how much stuff can I put in one room so that everyone in the neighborhood can see how much stuff I have?"

Laurie also posted about Morgan being one step away from being homeless last summer. But, Morgan has never lived away from her parents. So that entirely makes no sense. But you can't have sense, if you've never had any to begin with
I really don't understand their dynamic. I thought Laurie was the mastermind and just had Morgan convinced she was ill and drugged to compliant oblivion for a long time, like Gypsy Blanchard, and that the psych ward would sever the relationship enough for Morgan to get out of it. But the longer it goes on the more obvious it is that they're both in on this and both know she's not really sick. I've been leaning towards Morgan being just a malingering drug seeker who became a malingering drug seeker because her MbP mom got her hooked on painkillers.

Does anyone know how old she was when this started? Has this been going on since she was a kid or just since Morgan was expected to be a grown up and have responsiblities?

AbraCadaver

Member of the SUIT YOURSELF Army
kiwifarms.net
If you ever need reinforcement that these people were obsessed with being over the top, check out the furniture in a middle-class Victorian parlor. It's like "how much stuff can I put in one room so that everyone in the neighborhood can see how much stuff I have?"

I really don't understand their dynamic. I thought Laurie was the mastermind and just had Morgan convinced she was ill and drugged to compliant oblivion for a long time, like Gypsy Blanchard, and that the psych ward would sever the relationship enough for Morgan to get out of it. But the longer it goes on the more obvious it is that they're both in on this and both know she's not really sick. I've been leaning towards Morgan being just a malingering drug seeker who became a malingering drug seeker because her MbP mom got her hooked on painkillers.

Does anyone know how old she was when this started? Has this been going on since she was a kid or just since Morgan was expected to be a grown up and have responsiblities?
Oh I LOVE victorian clutter. Let’s build
more fireplaces so we have more mantelpieces to put more knickknacks on! XD

StasisOne

kiwifarms.net

I think in high school. I could be wrong, but I dont think shes done anything as an adult to prepare her for her future. But judging by her latest post, I think she's has developing mental illness and the both of them refuse to accept it. The post speaks for itself. Rambling run on sentences. Woe is me

20190205_155453.jpg 20190205_155514.jpg 20190205_155530.jpg

Burn Book

kiwifarms.net
There's some munchie chronicled on r/illnessfakers named Amanda who is 'non-binary' despite looking a generic white girl in every post...I'm honestly surprised there aren't more enby munchies.
Munchies want the biggest possible audience, and being non-binary is a bit too controversial. It'd scare away the Christian"praying for you" types of followers, and no munchie wants that.

Kate Farms Shill

kiwifarms.net
I think in high school. I could be wrong, but I dont think shes done anything as an adult to prepare her for her future. But judging by her latest post, I think she's has developing mental illness and the both of them refuse to accept it. The post speaks for itself. Rambling run on sentences. Woe is me

View attachment 658375 View attachment 658376 View attachment 658377
Wasn't she just complaining that she mysteriously couldn't stop gaining weight despite never eating while also posting pictures of her stuffing cake in her mouth? Lord, these children need some lessons in how to munchie properly. They control what they put on the internet and thus what people outside their homes know about them and they STILL can't keep their stories straight.

I give Morgan more of a pass because like you said, she seems to be genuinely mentally ill. But the people who claim to have such severe gastroparesis that they need GJ tubes and/or TPN then post pictures of themselves eating fast food and drinking starbucks sugar bombs like. Why? If you're trying to convince people you cannot eat, do not post pictures of you eating something that would make a healthy person feel sick. You control the whole narrative. You control what people know about your day-to-day life. Just say "I literally can't eat so that's why you only ever see tube feeds and IV fluids" and while people might suspect you're lying, they won't have blatant fucking evidence that you are.

jokemonkey

kiwifarms.net
If morgan really is struggling with mental health, haladol could maybe help? I have seen it used mostly, personally, with kids with EBD.

But again... WHO is prescribing her pain meds? She posted herself using mmj on insta. If I was her doctor, I'd be really concerned about her drug use since hospice raised concerns.
. But the people who claim to have such severe gastroparesis that they need GJ tubes and/or TPN then post pictures of themselves eating fast food and drinking starbucks sugar bombs like. Why? If you're trying to convince people you cannot eat, do not post pictures of you eating something that would make a healthy person feel sick. You control the whole narrative. You control what people know about your day-to-day life. Just say "I literally can't eat so that's why you only ever see tube feeds and IV fluids" and while people might suspect you're lying, they won't have blatant fucking evidence that you are.
TPN is definitely weird... also those with farrel bags or those who are always draining their stomach AND still eating fast food.

• Agree

mooserangerofthenorth

kiwifarms.net
I couldn't read much more after how she spelled "chord" wrong twice.
I agree I believe it was I'm high school after she got mono. It seems that Morgan has a new super rare happening when her following dies down. BTW spinal cord inflammation isnt something you get sent home with...

• Agree
Reactions: Blake Bumbleby

Blake Bumbleby

[yasscat intensifies]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I couldn't read much more after how she spelled "chord" wrong twice.
I agree I believe it was I'm high school after she got mono. It seems that Morgan has a new super rare happening when her following dies down. BTW spinal cord inflammation isnt something you get sent home with...
I enjoyed her spelling "weaning" as "I HAVE AUTISM PLEASE LAUGH AT ME.ing." Oh, the irony...

Gengar

Dream Eater
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Daily Mail published some sob story about a woman whose “time is running out” because she has chronic Lyme. Of course, she heavily documents the condition on Instagram, enjoys showing off her PICC line, experiments with absurd treatments like “ozone therapy,” and proudly showcases her million different medications. The story even says that she was hospitalized in a psychiatric ward due to the delusional thinking surrounding her condition, but of course, this is actually just because Big Pharma wants to keep her from being cured.

Here’s her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laura_macleod/

She’s currently raised $35,000 out of $40,000 so that she can go to Germany for some extra special therapy that purposely gives you a really high fever while simultaneously “flushing the neurotoxins” from your blood, which supposedly will make the Lyme Disease go away? Who fucking knows.

She claims to have “a complex mix of Chronic Lyme , Babesia, SIBO, Bartonella , Epstein Barr, Thyroid Disease, MAST Cell, POTS , PANS, and ME/CFS.“

This bitch is a munchie if I’ve ever seen one. :story:

Last edited:
Daily Mail published some sob story about a woman whose “time is running out” because she has chronic Lyme. Of course, she heavily documents the condition on Instagram, enjoys showing off her PICC line, experiments with absurd treatments like “ozone therapy,” and proudly showcases her million different medications. The story even says that she was hospitalized in a psychiatric ward due to the delusional thinking surrounding her condition, but of course, this is actually just because Big Pharma wants to keep her from being cured.

Here’s her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/laura_macleod/

She’s currently raised $35,000 out of $40,000 so that she can go to Germany for some extra special therapy that purposely gives you a really high fever while simultaneously “flushing the neurotoxins” from your blood, which supposedly will make the Lyme Disease go away? Who fucking knows.

She claims to have “a complex mix of Chronic Lyme , Babesia, SIBO, Bartonella , Epstein Barr, Thyroid Disease, MAST Cell, POTS , PANS, and ME/CFS.“

This bitch is a munchie if I’ve ever seen one. :story:
And the part where she describes the hyperthermia and “flushing the neurotoxins” as “similar to dialysis”, WHAT?! No!! This fancy treatment center (read: LUXURY SPA) she wants everyone to pay for is nothing like the hell and pain I see my patients go through when they have to have dialysis 3x a week for the rest of their lives! Dialysis is time consuming, can be very painful, exhausting, can cause severe nausea/vomiting, headaches, etc and it’s not a magical cure! It keeps a certain functional baseline if about 200 different rules and dietary restrictions are followed every day as well. And most patients travel 45+ minutes to kind of crappy clinics to sit in outdated chairs for 4+ hours 3x a week to literally stay alive! So NO Laura, you wanting 45K to go galavanting to a Lyme Literate Clinic (eyeroll) for 21-28 days to get spa treatments and “toxins flushed” (you have a freaking liver for a reason) is NOTHING similar to dialysis!! End rant.

Tags
spoonies

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino