Music software and sites you use

Desire Lines

so long, and thanks for all the fish
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
this is my first thread, no bully pls

So I kinda got inspired by this thread. What do you use for your music in general? Here's a little guide on things I use or used:

Sites

Last.fm:
This site tracks your listening habits, and recommends you new music based on it. You connect to basically any music player, and it "scrobbles" your tracks to the sites. It used to have a great community, but they updated the site in 2017 with a horrendous new mobile design, which removed a shitton of features and broke almost all plugins made for it. Most people jumped ship, but it is still worth using because they don't really have a competing site.

Pros:
  • Easy to use
  • Recommends good shit sometimes
  • Neat graphs and charts to see your habits
Cons:
  • The design is absolute dogshit now
  • The old userbase is mostly gone, and the ones left are either unsocial, or normalfags who listen to mainstream pop
Rate Your Music:
This is where I moved after last.fm shat the bed. May be the most extensive music and film database in the world, seriously, if you can think of it, it probably has a RYM page. Users can catalogue albums and movies (you can even choose the format AKA vinyl, digital, CD etc.) and rate them. Has a great chart builder, so if you like exploring genres like I do, or you want to search for more obscure Norwegian black metal, they are perfect. The community is a mixed bag: there are some great users, but there is also this:
When I looked at the RYM score, it was at 0.61. If you don't know RYM culture, a score that low is usually reserved for music with messages that trigger them. The reason for that is because RYM has an insane amount of trannies. They've even formed a clique of sorts on bubblegum bass and noise pages. Seriously, if you go over to RYM and check a page with those genres, you are guaranteed to find at least one genderqueer/transsexual/speshulsnowflake kind of person. I'm starting to think there needs to be a community watch on these people. No wonder why RYM is salty.:story:
So yeah, tread carefully.

Pros:
  • Their database is a thing of beauty
  • Incredible chart building features
  • Some really good and knowledgable members
Cons:
  • A bit archaic
  • A small percentage of the community are Tumblr rejects and are batshit insane
  • DON'T GO TO THEIR FORUMS
Rutracker:
You might ask why I am plugging a Russian torrent site here. That's because Rutracker might be the best public torrent sharing site for music. They have practically everything except the most obscure bullshit there. It's even divided into discographies for convenience! No pros or cons here, it's just a tracker.

Software

MusicBee:
My personal favourite music player. Want the simplicity of Itunes without the memory hog and the customization of foobar2000? MusicBee is your choice. Creating your own interface is ridiculously easy, and it has a ton of great plugins to boot.

Pros:

• Very customizable
  • Easy to use
  • Great plugins
Cons:
  • foobar2000 outdoes this player in the customization aspect
foobar2000:
The most customizable player, possibly ever. If you are patient (aka have autism), you can create a beautiful and simple interface on it. It has an AMAZING lyrics plug-in, which downloads lyrics which synchronize to music.

Pros:
  • You can customize everything!
  • THE LYRICS PLUGIN IS SO GOOD
Cons:
  • Customizing everything is really hard if you don't know what you are doing
Soulseek:
This one is a bit unique. It's a program for sharing files. The way people do it is by allowing the program to grab some folders of their choice, which get uploaded. Not uploading anything is considered rude, and some people might even not allow you to download their files. The reason I am including this in my list is because they have basically ANY album you want. That one album from the sixties which sold a hundred copies? It's there. An album sold only on tours? It's there. You can find anything there.

Pros:
  • Has anything you might need
Cons:
  • The community expects you to upload your own files
  • Might be unsafe because you are downloading unknown files directly from someone's computer

blah

kiwifarms.net
Winamp
https://jordaneldredge.com/projects/winamp2-js/
Sadly it is no longer supported, but when it was; winamp was my goto music player.

Fasttracker 2
https://www.a1k0n.net/code/jsxm/
Also Fasttracker 2 is nice for some niche tunes, but VLC can also play some of the more exotic formats and doubles as a video player (yuck!).

Spotify
https://spotify.com/
A streaming site for music. Has a lot of different artists, also their web player can be useful for playing songs that are somewhat hard to find other places. Think you can still use it with free account, but then you have to suffer ads every now and then. Pretty easy to rip the tracks from the stream if you so wish.

Fun fact: Spotify started building their music library with torrents from thepiratebay.

Pandora
https://www.pandora.com/
Use it to find 'similar' music, I found it useful back in the day. Haven't u sed it i n a very long time though so can't vouch for functionality or usability.

Pouët
https://www.pouet.net/
Chiptunes and demoscene stuff

As for gathering music, waffles is quite OK I guess.

R.I.P Oink's Palace

Last edited:

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Anybody use Audacity? I know it's old, but like WinAmp (something else I enjoy using for music purposes), it's pretty neat for editing in some ways.

Desire Lines

so long, and thanks for all the fish
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anybody use Audacity? I know it's old, but like WinAmp (something else I enjoy using for music purposes), it's pretty neat for editing in some ways.

I once took "Anaconda" by Nicki Minaj, used paulscretch on it and played it.

That part with the laugh will forever remain as one of the scariest pieces of music I've heard :'(

Varg Did Nothing Wrong

kiwifarms.net
I have a LastFM that was defunct/unused for a long time, but I've rekindled it lately, and I use Soulseek for anything downloads-related. Oh and I have been using Winamp and a single skin for it that I like since about 2007. Never gonna stop.

Pretty much it.