Music you can listen to whilst reading - or studying, drawing, etc.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

SakuraRose

Mildly fragranced for that fresh feeling.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Very much into Wardruna at the moment, especially the album Runaljod Ragnarok.

If you like deeply relaxing viking-y music, give it a go.

Runaljod Ragnarok:

Arcturus

kiwifarms.net
Depends on what I'm reading. I'm a fan of Shpongle, Love Spirals Downwards, and Ozric Tentacles for background music in general though.

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
The best thing to listen to in order to focus is something you've listened to a million times already, though preferably repetitive and without complex or easily understandable lyrics, or any lyrics whatsoever. I've listened to Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto so many times I can easily get into a state of focus when I listen do it. But if I were to listen to Debussy, someone I don't listen to a lot, I probably wouldn't be able to focus because my brain would be spending time trying to understand his music rather than just enjoying the familiarity.

If there's a video-game you've played a lot the soundtrack works great for focus. A soundtrack for a game you aren't familiar with not as much.

Dolphin Lundgren

One suave fucker.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like to play classical music when I'm reading or writing. Sometimes I'll go through my playlist of songs to use in the background. But classical or Celtic music works the best for me.

Celtic groups like Nightnoise really help.

Or Secret Garden.

Although honestly what really puts me in the mood while writing are Youtube ambient sound videos because they're long, mellow, and are good to listen if I want some scene inspiration. Stuff like this.

WEEDle

kiwifarms.net
A lot more great stuff added to my reading playlist, including the smooth jazz, classical, celtic and nature sounds stuff.

Yesterday I was listening to music, noisy experimental band The Gerogerigegege, it was completely unrelated to reading.

When the track had ended YouTube autoplay put me onto this video:

I can't possibly imagine how the two videos are related. Usually I find YouTube autoplay puts me onto something annoying or irrelevant, but this was a lucky find!

I'm glad I was distracted and ended up hearing the first few minutes of this album instead of clicking off like I usually would have. I ended up listening to the whole thing.

It's an album from 2011 that's made up entirely of samples of old, deteroirating jazz records from around the 1930s, but arranged in an ambient style. The concept behind the album has something to do with memory and Alzheimer's, so the whole thing has kind of a dark, eerie vibe, but very relaxing and perfect for this thread.

Joey Caruso

The Coathanger In Your Man's Vagina
kiwifarms.net
Here's a few from my library that nobody's posted yet:
(most other Bohren tracks would also work for this purpose, but this is the one i've been using lately)

I also tried to post "Sunday At The Village Vanguard" by Bill Evans but youtube's saying that the video of the full album isn't available for some reason.

WEEDle

kiwifarms.net
Here's a few from my library that nobody's posted yet:

(most other Bohren tracks would also work for this purpose, but this is the one i've been using lately)

I also tried to post "Sunday At The Village Vanguard" by Bill Evans but youtube's saying that the video of the full album isn't available for some reason.

Nice! I didn't even think of Brian Eno or Bohren and & Der Club of Gore. Used to listen to the Sunset Mission album all the time a few years back.

A few other tracks I've had success with:

(Sounds like Cocteau Twins worship with no vocals).

(Cool ambient song from a movie soundtrack).

(Weird ambient cover of a Pixies song that manages to sound nothing like the original song or sound like it came from the band that is covering the song).

A lot of Boards of Canada's stuff would probably fit this thread well

And the more relaxed Aphex Twin tracks as was suggested earlier in the thread

Dave Meltzer

kiwifarms.net
Some great Jazz ballad based albums. Coltrane being the best of the best IMO
My person favorite Jazz song is perfect

Also check out Paul Desmond his albums are usually down tempo. If you find you like the Ahmad Jamal song you should look into minimalist jazz albums. You can probably find good lists pretty easily.

Steve Vai's ballad compilation if you like instrumental guitar.

Allegory

kiwifarms.net
Frequencies

I fuck around and layer them sometimes, Some of the popular ones I don't mess with but learn yourself. see how you respond to what.

Rolli & Rottweiler

kiwifarms.net
Sun Ra/Merzbow is great. I'd check out more Sun Ra if I were you, Monorails & Satellites is a personal favorite. Bitches Brew by Miles Davis and other jazz music should pique your interest.

I don't usually listen to music while reading, but the few times I have it was to Tchaikovsky, specifically Pathetique.

I understand vocals may not be your thing and may distract, but Pieces of a Man and A Small Talk at 125th and Lennox both by Gil Scott Heron should also be considered.

Peace is my favorite track from Pieces of a Man. I'd play it at very low volume.