Music your Parents [in(directly)] forced you to Listen to -

Weed Eater

Why yes I DO smoke marijuana; it's goooood stuff!
kiwifarms.net
Oh man this is a fun thread.

The Evita soundtrack. Lots of Madonna in general. Queen, Metallica, George Michael, Elton John. I hated traditional lullabies so much they freaked me out apparently, but dad would play some Metallica, and I'd fall right to sleep. By the time I was actually born and more "aware" I also remember listening to a lot of Nirvana and Hole. Oh I should also mention classical music too. It was more of my dad's thing, but that influence led to my own appreciation of Mozart, Bach, and Tchaikovsky as I got older.

Now I'm sad, but just a little.

GHTD

I am the edgelord meme
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I do not give a single solitary fuck about Elton John. Fleetwood Mac depends on the song but my parents fucking love Fleetwood Mac.

If it's something like "The Chain", sure but I don't care for shit like "Landslide".

Niggernerd

Hiya pops, long time no post.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My mom listened to Michael Jackson, Queen, Prince and the Scorpions
My dad listened to Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Slayer, Metallica etc.

I didn't mind.

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My mom owned a tape cassette of the Beach Boys Christmas album and would play it all year. I remember sitting in my room and leaving the Nintendo running just to drown out the noise. I hated her taste in music.

My dad liked Pink Floyd almost to the point of not caring about any other band. I didn't mind, Pink Floyd is amazing.

talk sh1t

Was the NPC all along
kiwifarms.net
My parents have pretty good taste in music. As a kid, when I heard something I liked I would get hooked big time, and eventually, growing up with the internet and no social life, I went way overboard with it and ended up getting into some of their favorite artists more than they did themselves. I'd hunt for all kinds of bootlegs (isn't this live version a hundred times better than the version you're always listening to?), comparing various performances of classical pieces (this director totally understood the piece way better than the one from the LP you have, don't you think?), finding all lesser known performances (did you know X played on that recording by Y??). I've come really close to ruining music altogether for them. They never bring up the topic of music with me anymore. Whenever I visit, they make sure there is never any music playing and keep their music collection out of sight. Basically I took something with good potential for bonding and turned it into yet another reason for my parents to be disappointed in me.

Frank D'arbo

Worlds dumbest Smartass
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This CD, I know it's a meme but I owned this CD boxset growing up so its how I heard a fuck ton of music my parents listened to.
In fact that's more or less how I found like 80% of my musical taste (other 20% being folk rock. psychedelic rock. and pre-2010s techno)
EDIT: I forgot about the GOAT
1618517725386.png

This beautiful motherfucker.

One of the very rare exceptions to this was probably Pink Floyd, I found out about them on my own, my dad was all like "oh shit you know about pink floyd?" and we'd listen to DSoTM to The Final Cut era PF on Road Trips.

naaaaiiiiillllll!!!

Null thought I was British, lol
kiwifarms.net
This CD, I know it's a meme but I owned this CD boxset growing up so its how I heard a fuck ton of music my parents listened to.
In fact that's more or less how I found like 80% of my musical taste (other 20% being folk rock. psychedelic rock. and pre-2010s techno)
EDIT: I forgot about the GOAT
View attachment 2090334
This beautiful motherfucker.

One of the very rare exceptions to this was probably Pink Floyd, I found out about them on my own, my dad was all like "oh shit you know about pink floyd?" and we'd listen to DSoTM to The Final Cut era PF on Road Trips.
My folks surprised me since they were into these albums I never would have imagined them ever liking. I still listen to these albums or artists to this day:

and

I wish I could double-winner rate these posts. I think people I learning I like old music, lol

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
My parents were first wave Baby Boomers so, yeah, I got to hear a lot of Boomer Music growing up although the Boomer music albums I remember them listening to the most in the mid-1980s weren't so much the classic albums themselves but rather soundtrack albums for films like Christine and The Big Chill (also Beverly Hills Cop but that soundtrack wasn't nearly as retro) and they also had several Greatest Hits albums on vinyl with the ones they played the most being probably Simon & Garfunkel, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and ABBA (but this was a 1970s Greatest Hits album so it didn't have some of my favourite later era ABBA songs like "Super Trouper" and "The Winner Takes it All" that were on my generation's ABBA Greatest Hits album, ABBA Gold ).

As a middle-aged Gen X'er, my own musical tastes are very much stuck in past decades including a lot of the music my parents liked. I generally lean more 1970s and 1980s than 1950s and 1960s, keeping in mind that my peak childhood years were in the 1980s so, obviously, I'm predisposed to like much of the music that was contemporary at the time.

Ita Mori

💔This is the best way to go💔
kiwifarms.net
A bunch of beaner tunes from my Mom.
No better way to get bullied into assimilation than to be the standout child of an immigrant in a sea of 3rd-4th gen wops and micks. Hated this music as a kid as a result, but I'm more fond of it now.

My dad, being a Jersey guinea, was more fond of freestyle (not that hiphop shit) from the late 80s.
This kind of music was big for a while but only on the East coast, and even then only in places like NYC, Northeast Jersey, & Miami (maybe Chicago). I remember my old folks dropping me off with my uncles and hitting The Palladium (Press F) with friends, which used to play this stuff.
I would've loved to see GTA Vice City have some of this on their radio.

Last edited:

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
My parents never really listened to anything in particular when I was growing up. It'd be largely what was on the radio, and that was mostly dad listening to old country. Not my type of stuff, though I can tolerate it over nu-country. And when he'd be drunk I'd have to listen to Unchained Melody, Stand By Me and Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine adnauseam.

They really never had any influence on my musical tastes.

More AWS-8Q Than You

kiwifarms.net
Christ above, some of you guys are really young or I'm just getting old. I pretty much got stuck listening to country music, as my dad really liked Reba and my mom listened to Randy Travis and then one 70s era Christian musician just about none of you would probably know. When I became a teenager, I discovered that my parents, once upon a time, liked music and that my dad loved folk-rock stuff, especially Simon & Garfunkel, Jim Croce, Jefferson Airplane (He loves strong female vocalists), etc. My mom was musicals and the Beatles. It was like night and day and I'll never understand why they basically hid it from us kids. They weren't even Hippies, they were boring working class white kids.

Have some Grace Slick, probably one of my Dad's favorite songs.

I still listen to the oldies station when driving to and from work, even if fucking Haddaway is an "oldie" now.

oldTireWater

Incompetent as fuck
kiwifarms.net
Growing up rural, in an area with limited radio reception, you listen to what your parents listen to, and probably don't know any different. Rock from the 60's and 70's mostly, with some 80's pop. I still like classic rock, but don't listen to it much anymore. Still love Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac though.

Looking back, I'm appalled at all the shit I never knew about when it was going down, just because it didn't get air-time. There just weren't many ways to be be exposed to new music. It's not like they'd let you bring a boom-box to school, let alone blast 2-Live-Crew. All I knew about metal was Iron Maiden patches on denim jackets and Metallica T-shirts.

I can't imagine being stuck with just what the radio plays again. It would be horrible to go back.