Music your Parents [in(directly)] forced you to Listen to -

Drain Todger

Unhinged Doomsayer
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In no particular order, Pat Metheny, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Eagles, Steppenwolf, The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Elton John, Sting, The Alan Parsons Project, Electric Light Orchestra, Chicago, The Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Fleetwood Mac, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Iron Butterfly, Godley & Creme, The Beatles, Blue Oyster Cult, Vangelis, Orbital, David Bowie, Peter Schilling, Heart, The Cranberries, Duran Duran, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Stravinsky, and so on and so forth.

american_amadan

kiwifarms.net
Mostly stuff from England but my parents are Irish so Rory Gallagher was always on in my house growing up. It's not just bias when I say he was the greatest guitar player ever. My dad even forced me to go to his grave when I was a kid to pay respects. The more I listen to him as a I get older I realize how right they were. Throw on a Rory Gallagher album and sit back and enjoy the ride. It's fantastic.

Weed Eater

Why yes I DO smoke marijuana; it's goooood stuff!
kiwifarms.net
tdg4.gif

StevieLasVegas

kiwifarms.net
I'm the stereotypical metal guy, but I still love certain bands my parents played growing up. Chris de Burgh, Bob Segar, Procol Harum, and The Eagles are still some of the best stuff for me to go back to. A pity my dad has gotten a bit whipped in retirement to where he listens to Pink thanks to my mom because he is why I appreciate rock in most of its subgenres

Pitere pit

Has man gone insane?
kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid my mom and dad used to listen a lot of Queen, red hot chilly peppers, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra... And I couldn't be happier. Thanks ma and pa for your god tier taste!

General Disarray

The kind of tired that sleep don't fix
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was going to put Melanie but Slappy beat me to it, weird to see that pop up while scrolling. Got a lot of ELO, Bob Seger, Pink Floyd, Abba, the Who, etc. in my youth, Dad gave me a CD player for my high school graduation with a copy of The Final Cut. I also got a lot of my uncle's 45's when he was over in Vietnam, and this is the track I remember most:

Catchy little ditty; c'mon I was like 5-6 years old lol.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
My mom only listens to generic 80's radio. It's the same 30 songs over and over. I absolutely despise having to listen to it. 80's radio has stayed exactly the same since I first recognized hearing it sometime in the early 2000's.

Dysnomia

Is Reimu gonna have to smack a bitch?
kiwifarms.net
Mymom listened to The Beatles and the associated solo and side projects, David Bowie,The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks solo, Elton John and U2. She went to Live Aid. I was pretty young but I remember she went on about Live Aid for like months. Every day until the concert.

My grandmother played polkas and Sinatra. My uncle plays Sinatra and Tony Bennet at barbecues. He's also obsessed with Bowie and Keith Richards.

I have heard so much Stones, Bowie and Beatles growing up that I don't need to hear them ever again. I don't like The Rolling Stones at all actually. Never did. But it was my mom's favorite band. I was surprised when she liked The Black Album and Nirvana.

I think I liked a less narrow band of stuff because of MTV.

My mom only listens to generic 80's radio. It's the same 30 songs over and over. I absolutely despise having to listen to it. 80's radio has stayed exactly the same since I first recognized hearing it sometime in the early 2000's.

It's the same junk over and over. Essentially momrock and "hey remember this in high school" stuff. Some stations mix it up better than others. But you can probably find roughly the same playlist coast to coast.

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
Liszt, Chopin, Rachmaninoff when I was really little, possibly because my dad had just got a job at uni and wanted to let people know he was cultured.

Mostly rockabilly as I got older. Lots and lots and LOTS of rockabilly. To the point where he'd be having touring rockabilly bands spend the night at the house. The rockabilly ranged from real hardcore stuff (Carl Perkins, Wanda Jackson) to mainstream rock (Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash) to obscure modern scene bands (Raging Teens, Kim Lenz, some weird Danish guy I can't remember the name of, etc).

They'd also go through phases. Swing music, doowoop, Appalachian bluegrass, "white person" gospel (think Far Cry 5), skiffle, zydeco, WW1 and WW2 songs, and tons of other stuff. Basically anything from the day Buddy Holly died and earlier; almost nothing past the early 60s. They'd occasionally put on more "normal" music, like Elvis and the Beatles - but it was only "Sun Records demotapes Elvis" and "Hamburg-era greaser Beatles". I didn't even know the Beatles did famous 60s music until I was in junior high.

WARNING: David Allan Coe cover. Includes gamer words.

Agent Abe Caprine

Fueled by cigarette butts and paint chips
kiwifarms.net
AC/DC was a constant in my childhood. My dad ended up creating a fan of dad rock. Listened to a lot of Top 40 with my mom. Never cared for it, but tolerated it. Except Fergi. I hated her spelling songs.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My dad steers clear of generic dad rock hits of the 70s and 80s for his own weird music: jazz funk fusion. I don't know who made most of them because it was all on his giant collection of bootleg CD-Rs. Probably a lot of Parliament. The one in particular I remember the most is about peanut butter.

e-gf

It's gay af for a man to take a nap
kiwifarms.net
My dad's favorites: George Thorogood, Guns n Roses, CCR, Tom Petty, ACDC, Neil Young, Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, 10cc

My mom's - Talking Heads, B-52's, Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Billy Joel, Elton John, Carly Simon, ABBA

My taste is more similar to my mom's. We both love disco and new wave. I don't like dad rock because it kind of all blends together to me. However, dad-ish bands that have more interesting styles (Steely Dan, Genesis, Yes) are some of my favorites that my Dad also likes.

Megaroad 2012

SHORT AND GAY.
kiwifarms.net
So much heavy metal and rap. Not bad though, I hated the grunge music they worshipped and still do since they never stopped playing the same six bands on Seattles rock stations.

Panama

kiwifarms.net
The B52s, Talking Heads, instrumental prog rock or synth, and David Bowie when I was with my mom. Folk music, early metal like Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and some of the first thrash metal albums when I was hanging out in the garage or riding with my dad.
I liked shitty pop music and nu metal when I was a kid, but my current choices are much more influenced by what my parents listened to.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net

As someone whose prime tween years were right in the middle of the decade, I love the 1980s but, yes, some 1980s hits are overplayed on the radio. I was grocery shopping yesterday and was subjected to "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey (which, ironically, I don't remember being overplayed in the actual 1980s but it was a modest hit in 1981 when I was still a little kid and I wasn't really aware what music was currently popular). I don't hate that song but it's not really my thing and it seems to be a song that dominates 1980s playlists now.

Checking lists on Google of overplayed 1980s songs, "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" by WHAM! seems to be right up there. Not that I don't like that song but "Freedom" is the best song from Make It Big but "Freedom" doesn't get played nearly as much as "Wake Me Up" anymore.

Maurice Caine

You talkin' to me?
kiwifarms.net
Liszt, Chopin, Rachmaninoff when I was really little, possibly because my dad had just got a job at uni and wanted to let people know he was cultured.

Mostly rockabilly as I got older. Lots and lots and LOTS of rockabilly. To the point where he'd be having touring rockabilly bands spend the night at the house. The rockabilly ranged from real hardcore stuff (Carl Perkins, Wanda Jackson) to mainstream rock (Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash) to obscure modern scene bands (Raging Teens, Kim Lenz, some weird Danish guy I can't remember the name of, etc).

They'd also go through phases. Swing music, doowoop, Appalachian bluegrass, "white person" gospel (think Far Cry 5), skiffle, zydeco, WW1 and WW2 songs, and tons of other stuff. Basically anything from the day Buddy Holly died and earlier; almost nothing past the early 60s. They'd occasionally put on more "normal" music, like Elvis and the Beatles - but it was only "Sun Records demotapes Elvis" and "Hamburg-era greaser Beatles". I didn't even know the Beatles did famous 60s music until I was in junior high.

WARNING: David Allan Coe cover. Includes gamer words.
Not too well versed on rockabilly, but I got some tunes.

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
Not too well versed on rockabilly, but I got some tunes.
Yeah, I'm not well-versed in rockabilly either, but that's the sort of stuff! The Rythym Rockers song I think I've heard before, but there's so, sooo much rockabilly floating around, and to be brutally honest, it all sounds the same to me, lol.

Don't want to shit up the thread with too much rockabilly, but some of the more memorable tracks:

St Greaser. Godfather of the genre.

Only Elvis song allowed in my parents' house.

Raunchy furry shit.

Rockabilly equivalent of hair metal.

Classic space-a-billy instrumental.

OG goth rock

OG nerdcore

Baby brother used to love this one

And finally...
These two bands were more my speed. So of course Maw and Paw Snek never played them...