Musicals: Stage and Screen -

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Give us your favorite Sondheims, Lloyd Webbers, Schwartzes, Robert Browns, Colemans, anything musically theatrical.

[youtube]3WKN0XF8-3Q[/youtube]
[youtube]ixP4wUCuNS8[/youtube]
[youtube]7adj28-BcFY[/youtube]

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually haven't really looked into Grey Gardens much, but that song is beautiful!

Hmm...I'll see your Parade and raise you a Songs For A New World!
(Song cycles still count, don't they? :P )
[youtube]ly2skMYODwc[/youtube]

And obligatory Sondheim mention.
[youtube]LFgMowOwek0[/youtube]

Something Vague

Keurig Connoisseur
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Shoggoth on the Roof is Awesome! Even if you haven't read Lovecraft, its still funny as fudge! Yes, its based on Fiddler on the Roof, but with more tentacles.

[youtube]OJAoaCHdTJY[/youtube]

[youtube]nFzdIaBnckg[/youtube]

Henry Bemis

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Golly said:
I actually haven't really looked into Grey Gardens much, but that song is beautiful!

Hmm...I'll see your Parade and raise you a Songs For A New World!
(Song cycles still count, don't they? :P )
Damn skippy, they do.

Speaking of JRB and song cycles:

[youtube]3bWGjUKyffM[/youtube]

Trombonista

I'll tie Gucci Mane up and beat him with a stick
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Leonard Bernstein is probably my favorite composer, so of course I love West Side Story.

I was in summer camp productions of Les Miserables, Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story, and Grease.

Henry Bemis

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
This has got to have some of the most infectious dance music on any cast recording.
[youtube]EsJpge2Mu0c[/youtube]

Or for something of a similar vein:
[youtube]-tYRWQxFDSk[/youtube]

Zap Rowsdower

The Canadian Chuck Norris
kiwifarms.net
I''m a big Broadway musical fan. So much so that when my school offered a class on the history of Broadway theater, I lept at the chance to get in.

While I'll dabble in Les Miserables and The Producers, my heart belongs to Avenue Q above all. As a twenty something just out of college in New York City, there's a lot I can identify with. The following is the last song of the show, and there's a lot of truth that I see in it.

[youtube]XJdcROXeaWc[/youtube]

I'm probably in the minority that doesn't care for Wicked, though.

Trombonista

I'll tie Gucci Mane up and beat him with a stick
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't like Wicked that much either.

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm very picky when it comes to musicals. I hate Andrew Lloyd Weber (except Jesus Christ Superstar, because they made Judas a hot black guy), and I hate most of the crap that's on Broadway. This is coming, by the way, from someone who writes plays. Every year my mom would bitch at me for not watching the Tonys because "it's what I'm going into" (I actually am studying writing for television but my BFA was in Theatre Studies with a focus on Playwriting). And my little sister wants to go into stage design or whatever, so she was making a big deal about the Tonys. I went downstairs to have dinner, and my parents were like "you have to be quiet because darkhorse816's little sister is watching the Tonys" and my little sister was being a jerk about it: she wanted absolute quiet. And then they showed the preview for Broadway's newest musical: Ghost. Ghost the Musical. That's when I started laughing hysterically and my little sister flipped out at me, and I went back upstairs.

The only musicals I like are Chicago (for using Brechtian techniques, Brecht is my favorite playwright, and also for having really good music), and I can't think of any other musicals currently. I really need to see Book of Mormon, though.

Henry Bemis

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
darkhorse816 said:
...my little sister wants to go into stage design or whatever, so she was making a big deal about the Tonys.
Odd; typically, it's the performance majors who demand quiet during the Tonys (cattiness needs a quiet environment to land, after all).

darkhorse816 said:
Brecht is my favorite playwright
Then Urinetown, Sweeney Todd, or anything Sondheim might just be up your alley, then.

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Henry Bemis said:
darkhorse816 said:
...my little sister wants to go into stage design or whatever, so she was making a big deal about the Tonys.
Odd; typically, it's the performance majors who demand quiet during the Tonys (cattiness needs a quiet environment to land, after all).

darkhorse816 said:
Brecht is my favorite playwright
Then Urinetown, Sweeney Todd, or anything Sondheim might just be up your alley, then.
I love Sweeney Todd. I saw the Tim Burton adaptation and enjoyed it. I like Into the Woods, especially when the narrator gets killed off, which is beyond unconventional.

Reactions: Anonimo

darkhorse816

WOOF!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A while back, I started writing Independence Day: The Musical. I wrote it with the intention of playing Jeff Goldblum's character, because I do this great impersonation of him. The problem is, I suck at writing lyrics. But I can sing!

pickleniggo

pickle enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
BigAltheGreat921 said:
Les Miz is awesome. I saw a production of it in London last month.
I love Les Miserables and practically grew up with it. I can probably recite it backwards at this point. I saw the Broadway revival in 2006, and the movie was a slight disappointment and I'm really pissed they shoe-horned a new song in to get the original song nomination that it lost because it was dull as shit (saw the movie in theaters twice because I'm that much of a sperg for the story - each time "Suddenly" was my bathroom break). Like, they cut out so many small, but epic parts of other songs to fit that piece of garbage into the film.

Other than Les Miz, I have an uncharacteristic soft spot for musicals in general. I'm dying to see Book of Mormon on Braodway but the tickets are forever sold out or just crazy expensive. I can't believe how successful it's been, and I admire Trey Parker and Matt Stone so much for everything they do.

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
darkhorse816 said:
I like Into the Woods, especially when the narrator gets killed off, which is beyond unconventional.
Spoilers! Gosh. :geek:

shutupman

kiwifarms.net
I've seen quite a few musicals, considering I'm not generally a fan of them.
Most of the "classic" ones I saw in my youth, as I was in a brainer program that tried to stimulate our minds by letting us go on some awesome field trips.
The ones I saw back then include: Joseph & Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Les Miserables, and I'm sure a few others.
Recently though, there have been some great "alternative" musicals. Went and saw Evil Dead, Toxic Avenger and am going to see Book of Mormon soon. There's some stage version of Night of the Living Dead (non-musical, I don't think) that I'm waiting for some more reviews of before I decide whether I'll see it or not.
Other than those, I saw Wicked. It was O.K.

As for movie musicals, I can't stand that Sound of Music crap, or most cartoon movies that are basically musicals with some spoken dialogue.
I *do* like Cannibal, Repo, Phantom of the Paradise and there's a few others that I can't recall right now.

Henry Bemis

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
shutupman said:
Recently though, there have been some great "alternative" musicals...
As for movie musicals, I can't stand that Sound of Music crap...
I *do* like Cannibal, Repo, Phantom of the Paradise and there's a few others that I can't recall right now.
Rodgers and Hammerstein stopped being interesting after Carousel (no later than South Pacific), and gradually (and finally), musicals are throwing off the sticky-sweet preconceptions endemic to their body of work.

[youtube]9qT0x17oQhs[/youtube]

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino