Musicals: Stage and Screen -

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Henry Bemis said:
[youtube]9qT0x17oQhs[/youtube]
How awful is it that sometimes in class, I'll hear people sing arias and I'll accidentally mentally identify them by this musical?
Pretty awful, I'd imagine. Damn Phantom-ridden adolescence!

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Golly said:
Henry Bemis said:
[youtube]9qT0x17oQhs[/youtube]
How awful is it that sometimes in class, I'll hear people sing arias and I'll accidentally mentally identify them by this musical?
Pretty awful, I'd imagine. Damn Phantom-ridden adolescence!
Not awful in the least, I'd say.

[youtube]jpSSiHQpr98[/youtube]

This looks awesome, and the album is a lotta fun.

The Dude

My dad says that's for pussies.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some of my favorites:

REPO!: The Genetic Opera
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Shock Treatment
Paint Your Wagon

Picklepower

This isnt even my final form
kiwifarms.net
What about Bollywood? where everything is a musical? I love those, and classic American ones too. There's a good theater where I live, so I've seen a lot, of shows. The last one I went too was, Hairspray. I really wanna see the Toxic Avenger musical, I'm a huge Troma fan. And I wanna see Book of Mormon.

Lady Houligan

Mama Bear
kiwifarms.net
I'm pleased to see that Into the Woods (and my favorite song from it) and Repo! were already mentioned. I have a soft spot for Wicked but that's because it came out at a time in my life when I identified with the lyrics. I tend to like ALL musicals... my parents would do community theater in the summers and I was involved in theater in high school, so that's probably why.

I need to see The Devil's Carnival. Story sounds a bit iffy from what I've read, but if what I've heard from the soundtrack is any indication I'll enjoy it anyways. My favorite song: [youtube]PYIioYDI2Iw[/youtube]

Henry Bemis

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Go see Once, if you can.

That's all, really, just go see Once. Quiet yet electrifying; stately yet burning.

Stalin

Uncle Snuggles Peanut Butter
kiwifarms.net
Ones I have memorized:
CATS
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserables (but do NOT get me started on the movie)
Jesus Christ Superstar
Tanz der Vampire
Fiddler on the Roof

Ones I like certain songs from:
Evita
A Chorus Line
Yentl (It was on stage too!)
The Producers
Don Quixote
Aspects of Love
Chicago
Sweet Charity
My Fair Lady
Cabaret
West Side Story
Wicked (depending on the day)
Showboat
Avenue Q

Ones I've seen
CATS
Phantom
Lion King
Mama Mia!
Annie
Jesus Christ Superstar

and I think that's it.
I fucking love musicals.

Reactions: MrFloppy

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yesss "A Minister's Wife". I've never seen it, but I have the cast recording and I love it. It's interesting in that it's not really traditional musical theater featuring specific song numbers. Instead, the characters have a series of leitmotifs, and they come together in that one final piece. It's sooo goood.

Also! Adam Guettel has apparently been visiting my school for the past week. Last night I got to see him coach our school's cast of Light in the Piazza. I know I can't technically have proof or anything, but he had such a good way of working with the cast. It was just wonderful getting to hear him talk about the intent he had behind the score/melodies/lyrics/everything.

[youtube]JSr3WtU7M_A[/youtube]

Henry Bemis

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Shameless plug on the part of a friend, but he finally released the studio demo he recorded of his musical adaptation of The Picture of Dorian Gray. As his undergraduate thesis project, he used a collegiate cast, myself among them.

You can listen to it here.

Not only a pretty solid adaptation, but also shows promise on his part, too.

PvtRichardCranium

kiwifarms.net
[youtube]klvWtrtIRyI[/youtube]

They were about to confront the villain in his layer. FVB: The evil force that would poison young minds, pollute the environment, and subvert the democratic process... and worst of all change Strawberry into a mindless groupie.

This was the enemy. FVB. Future Villain Band.

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have any of you seen any of the Starkid productions live or on youtube? I've seen the Very Potter series online, and have been very impressed by their latest show, Twisted (Jafar's version of Disney's Aladdin).

Twisted is probably the best thing they've done yet. I recommend this show so highly if you're at all nostalgic/slightly over-informed about the Disney renaissance movies.
Here's a trailer, and the full thing is up on youtube as well.

Reactions: caffeinated_wench

caffeinated_wench

HOLY CROW
kiwifarms.net
Have any of you seen any of the Starkid productions live or on youtube? I've seen the Very Potter series online, and have been very impressed by their latest show, Twisted (Jafar's version of Disney's Aladdin).

Twisted is probably the best thing they've done yet. I recommend this show so highly if you're at all nostalgic/slightly over-informed about the Disney renaissance movies.

I've seen thisssss. It was hilarious, I thought. My boyfriend is a huge Disney fan and very well-informed about their history plus a ton of Disney movie trivia, so he'd likely catch a ton more things than I did if he were to see this.

(He also loves their Very Potter Musical.)

bradsternum

Won't Call Anyone
kiwifarms.net

My favorite is "Holy Musical B@tman."

A-Stump

Dr Robotdick
kiwifarms.net
Tanz der Vampire. Kevin Tarte is the man. All of the songs are genuinely good (Totale Finsternis is the most well piece, probably) and the accompanying sets & costume design are usually top knotch. It somewhat lags in the middle and takes awhile to go anywhere.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino