Musicals: Stage and Screen -

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Titanic: the first musical I fell in love with, finally coming (back) to Chicago in the fall.

Gorogoroth

kiwifarms.net
I'm taking my mum to see the The Lion King. It's supposed to be awesome; I haven't seen the movie but I heard it's basically Hamlet with lions and Elton John.

Ariel

Sorbet
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ziegfeild Follies

How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying

Magical Mystery Tour

Grease

LordDarkrai

I'm really feeling it!
kiwifarms.net

Der Glocken Von Notre Dame fixes a lot of the tone problems from the Disney film while keeping the awesome music. It still does its own thing while following the book more. I love how the tone feels much more natural and it stays constant throughout. The gargoyles are very toned down to serve as Quasimodo's imagination this time. I would talk about the ending, but I leave to this so you enjoy the ride.

Sadly it has no English subs, but this site can help you understand the songs.
http://www.thehunchblog.com/category/der-glockner-von-notre-dame-2/page/2/

Bogs

She hates that dog
kiwifarms.net
Just because the two guys from ABBA made a musical about Chess of all things. And also the songs are kind of good.

LordDarkrai

I'm really feeling it!
kiwifarms.net
For the past month, I seen both Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King on YouTube surprisingly. I liked BatB sightly more, but both are pretty solid works. I also seen a high school production of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame on YouTube. I'm mixed about it since the production valves are good, the acting is good, (minus Frollo who feels forced) but it had the same tone problem like the movie, but worse. It tried to mix both the movie and the German Broadway version and it made some really weird choices. They made Phoebus really bland and he feels out of place. Heck, a good part of his lines during songs were sung by other characters. Also the ending is terrible.
They kept Frollo alive and spared Quasimodo. They was never any point where Frollo questioned his actions, he was pretty much the same throughout until that moment. It completely out of character for him to do that and the show just goes trembling down.

Other then that, I need to listen to The Phantom of the Opera. I have it on my phone so I need to get on it.

Frank Rizzo

kiwifarms.net
Been acting and into theatre in general since I was 15 years old, big theater freak! Just recently I saw Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder, absolutely fantastic!

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So did anyone watch Peter Pan Live! tonight? I was actually really pleasantly surprised. Last year's Sound of Music was so blah, that I wasn't holding out much hope. This was a pretty endearing show, though. I love Kelli O' Hara and was thrilled they found ways to use her as much as they did for such a minor part. Allison Williams wasn't Mary Martin, but she was still a very passable Peter (I was sad they cut "Oh My Mysterious Lady", though). And of course, I loved Christopher Walken as Hook.
And yes. I did clap for Tinkerbell.

This was one of the most touching songs in the show.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrFloppy

Frank Rizzo

kiwifarms.net
So did anyone watch Peter Pan Live! tonight? I was actually really pleasantly surprised. Last year's Sound of Music was so blah, that I wasn't holding out much hope. This was a pretty endearing show, though. I love Kelli O' Hara and was thrilled they found ways to use her as much as they did for such a minor part. Allison Williams wasn't Mary Martin, but she was still a very passable Peter (I was sad they cut "Oh My Mysterious Lady", though). And of course, I loved Christopher Walken as Hook.
And yes. I did clap for Tinkerbell.
It was like night and day with Peter Pan and Sound of Music. Peter Pan flowed much better, had better cast chemistry, and just had an overall less awkward presentation to it. And of course, Walken killed it in every scene he was in.

• Agree
Reactions: Golly

Inept Sissy

Powerless Wimp
kiwifarms.net
I missed Peter Pan Live, but I was only considering watching it for Allison Williams. She is incredibly and inexplicably hot to me, and I'm a little embarrassed about it because she's clearly a slightly boring-looking old money New Yorker lady. But her in that costume...

*sigh* Androgyny is a good look for her.

Anonimo

My kingdom for a facepalm rating
kiwifarms.net
I'm fairly new to musical theatre; I only really started to get serious when I was cast as a chorus member in "Anything Goes" during my sophmore year in high school. Before then I had seen some pretty mainstream productions like Lion King and Wicked when they toured in my state. I know and have listened to some pretty mainstream stuff, but I don't really consider myself "in the know" like some of my peers. Funny enough, I actually returned from a theatre conference that my university was invited to and had a lot of fun. My favorite musicals tend to be comedic ones such as Spamalot, Avenue Q, and my favorite, The Book of Mormon.

I've been acting in theatre since I was 16, and the last show I did was a "steampunk" version of A Christmas Carol where I was cast as Bob Cratchit and Young Scrooge. I have a fairly decent baritone voice, though I can tap into the upper register (F and G sharps are my worst enemy). Ironically while I like comedic musicals, I like singing more "ready" or "operatic" numbers like "Stars" from Les Mis. There has always been something about the stage that I've been in love with. It's hard to describe, but I'm sure some of you guys can relate.

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone seen the Into the Woods movie?
I was very impressed with how the film version (not counting the American Playhouse recording) of my favorite musical came out. When I first fell in love the the show 10 years ago, I wondered how it could be made into a movie, and who would do it. Definitely not Disney, which means it will probably never happen. was my verbatim conclusion. Throw in the ever-declining standards behind the musical movie genre over the years (especially re: casting A-Listers over lesser celebrities who can sing), it's no wonder I've been incredibly skeptical about the whole production.

Much to my surprise, it really looks like Hollywood finally found a nice balance between the two. I'm not thrilled with some of the plot/structure changes, but they were really able to take advantage of the cinematic medium. The themes of the show remained largely intact, and it was definitely still able to pack a punch.

The Phantom on the Hill

"Angel of Music"
kiwifarms.net
Well, you can tell what my favorite musical is just by looking at my avatar (and if you're a phan, too, tell who my favorite Phantom is), but I love a whole lot of other musicals as well such as Les Miserables and The Addams Family. Being a musical theatre actor myself, I really get into musicals in which I have had a part in or desire to have a part in.

• Feels
Reactions: Golly

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Have I mentioned that musicals are for gay men and I am now questioning the sexuality of every man who posts in this thread?

But in all seriousness...

It is my firm opinion that the golden age of musical theater ended when Victor Herbert died in 1924. I really do love pre-Show Boat musical theater in all its glory. So what if musicals back then often had little plot, went into songs with no reason, and often interpolated songs if someone paid them to?

Aside from that there's several musicals mentioned in this thread that I have a soft spot for, and since they've been mentioned, I won't say what they are.

One that hasn't, though, is Shinbone Alley, a musical based off of Don Marquis' poems of Archy the cockroach and Mehitabel the cat. It ran on Broadway for about 60 performances and is occasionally revived, far less than it ought to be. It was turned into an animated film in 1971, and since that's available on DVD, you all should find a copy.

Oh, yes, and this. I forgot about this. The lyrics are so much fun...

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino