My Little Brony II: The Cloppening -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

LolRaccoon

Trash panda and trash boat
kiwifarms.net
The new movie dropped today and we are officially in G5. A lot of the fandom likes it and /mlp/ seemingly does not.

Also, I haven't seen it yet but:
The Mane Six make an appearance in it, and I wonder what Chris would think about it if he saw it. He may eventually cave in and watch it whenever he gets out of the local pokey.

Enig

G5fags this is your mindset.
kiwifarms.net
The new movie dropped today and we are officially in G5. A lot of the fandom likes it and /mlp/ seemingly does not.

Also, I haven't seen it yet but:
The Mane Six make an appearance in it, and I wonder what Chris would think about it if he saw it. He may eventually cave in and watch it whenever he gets out of the local pokey.
The fandom is high as fuck on both copium and hopium, I have witnessed so many people today going "7/10 it's average" and then having a whole list of critical flaws to read off.

Enig

kiwifarms.net
Gen 5 looks ok but I'm going to guess it's rushed and not very good
It's a forgettable 5/10 that the cargo cult is labelling a masterpiece even though all it takes is one look at the production of it to know it's a WWII timebomb left embedded and forgotten under a street. If you've seen any Illumination film that's not the farting tictacs you'll have an idea of what this is.

Blas de Kiwi

Half-Man. Still more man than a troon.
kiwifarms.net
That they had to build where the previous generation left it off just to have any kind of ground to stand on, and then fucking it up because its current year shows its quality. It's about what I expected from mainstream western animation. Even if I dislike it, I can say that I understand why some would like the character designs, at least.

That said, they only put high ratings because the character design has been done by an elevated fan artist, and now they are sucking each other's metaphorical dicks about a job well done. Salt was going to flow independently of whatever Hasbro was going to do, but at least with a new generation starting on a blank slate they would've been able to do whatever without shitting on the works of the previous crew.

Let the copium flow though. It's all Twitter is good for. Creativity is dead and the animation industry is fucking the corpse.

NoonmanR

kiwifarms.net
So far it seems like it's been a nice shot in the arm to the horsefucker fandom, but not knowing any personally, i have no idea. Are there any here that can confirm? Also lmao that this is what the originals go out on, gotta give props to whoever thought that up bc i'm sure it's caused many of them to seethe.
vlcsnap-2021-09-24-16h35m07s345.png

SEVEN OUT OF TEN is not average.
It is if you're been brought up on nothing but game reviews for the past couple of decades.

LolRaccoon

Trash panda and trash boat
kiwifarms.net
I thought it was going to be terrible wokeshit about how some ponies were privileged for being the type of pony they were (and what led me to think that was the announcement that the protagonist was going to be an activist) but it wasn't. It was pretty harmless.

Hell, it handled racism better than Season 8 of G4 did.

Solid Snek

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought it was going to be terrible wokeshit about how some ponies were privileged for being the type of pony they were (and what led me to think that was the announcement that the protagonist was going to be an activist) but it wasn't. It was pretty harmless.

Hell, it handled racism better than Season 8 of G4 did.
Yeah, it was the same message the show always had, really - people are different, there's no shame in being better at certain things than others, and All Lives Matter. There are several sections that could be a swipe at Trump OR at Critical Race Theory and wokeshit, but the Classical Liberal agenda is pretty subdued and not preachy. Earth Pony society is clearly a critique of Big Tech, the Pegasus society is a critique of social media and mainstream celebrity culture, and the Unicorns are a critique of PC speechpolice, doomers, and... Brit Bongers??

Not exactly based, but NOT woke by any means. At least not yet.

So far it seems like it's been a nice shot in the arm to the horsefucker fandom, but not knowing any personally, i have no idea. Are there any here that can confirm? Also lmao that this is what the originals go out on, gotta give props to whoever thought that up bc i'm sure it's caused many of them to seethe.
vlcsnap-2021-09-24-16h35m07s345.png
Seething is unlikely, to be honest. That "send off" scene actually looks more like fanservice than a fan-fuck-you. It's possibly a reference to two beloved Brony memes: Crazy Rarity, and Pie Hating Rainbow Dash.
And even if that scene is not intended to be deliberate fanservice, you have to remember, the Brony fandom adores things like Cupcakes (Andrew WK video with ponies being tortured and cannibalized) and Fallout Equestria (a fanfiction longer than a Tolstoy novel, packed with murder and rape). Evil Rarity blasting pony brains with her horn magic is actually totally in line with how Bronies engage with the show, and if anything, probably reflects the G5 they'd prefer to see.

So instead of "oh God, how could they dishonor the memory of G4 like that?", the reaction is more likely to be "wow, too bad the whole show can't be like this"

As for being a shot in the arm? Still too early to tell. A lot of bronies were dipping out by the last few seasons of G4, and the ones who stuck around and/or staked their careers on Bronydom (such as the professional Bronalysist community) have been focusing primarily on fanwork for years. If you ever followed Jin, the lolcow who married Twilight Sparkle, but disavowed the official show midway through, and opted to focus on his own headcanon instead - that's kind of where most holdout bronies wound up.

Last edited:

NoonmanR

kiwifarms.net
And even if that scene is not intended to be deliberate fanservice, you have to remember, the Brony fandom adores things like Cupcakes (Andrew WK video with ponies being tortured and cannibalized) and Fallout Equestria (a fanfiction longer than a Tolstoy novel, packed with murder and rape). Evil Rarity blasting pony brains with her horn magic is actually totally in line with how Bronies engage with the show, and if anything, probably reflects the G5 they'd prefer to see.

So instead of "oh God, how could they dishonor the memory of G4 like that?", the reaction is more likely to be "wow, too bad the whole show can't be like this"

As for being a shot in the arm? Still too early to tell. A lot of bronies were dipping out by the last few seasons of G4, and the ones who stuck around and/or staked their careers on Bronydom (such as the professional Bronalysist community) have been focusing primarily on fanwork for years. If you ever followed Jin, the lolcow who married Twilight Sparkle, but disavowed the official show midway through, and opted to focus on his own headcanon instead - that's kind of where most holdout bronies wound up.
Ah, right. I keep forgetting that unlike the normal furry, these people were raised on /b/, so they wouldn't be as offended by such things. Still, it's strange considering that, as far as i know, Hasbro never bothered to capitalize on these people, and from what you're describing, it seems like they've gone out of their way to shoo them away(?). So, why now?

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Ah, right. I keep forgetting that unlike the normal furry, these people were raised on /b/, so they wouldn't be as offended by such things. Still, it's strange considering that, as far as i know, Hasbro never bothered to capitalize on these people, and from what you're describing, it seems like they've gone out of their way to shoo them away(?). So, why now?
That's not entirely true. They even had an episode that was almost entirely fandom memes.

Solid Snek

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure Hasbro is trying to shoe them away, either. Like @AnOminous says, Hasbro did at least one episode of the previous Generation that was entirely fandom memes - not to mention things like the Chrischan episode, the War episode, and several coomerbait epsiodes - and there is some indication that will continue.

In the leadup to this film release, there was a rumor that G5 was going to be a "dark, gritty reboot, geared towards older fans" - but it's not. Not by any means. (the darkest element, the race war plot, is apparently resolved by the end of the first episode) In that sense, Hasbro might be backing off catering to Bronies. But the film also has several elements that were probably intended, at least in part, to bring bronies back.
  • There's a musical number where the ponies sing about, and display, their butts. I checked Derpibooru last night to see how people are reacting to the film, and of course the butt scene is incredibly popular. It's nothing on the level of that one "DeviantArt fetish episode" from G4, or the Fluttershy Singing episode where it's a string of ass shots and shower scenes, but the intent seems clear.
  • There are more male characters this time around, and one of the "Mane Five" is a guy (in G4, the only major male character was a baby dragon simp-slave)
  • There's some artwork in the background of several scenes which was clearly drawn by brony fanartists.
  • And at one point, the main character screams "EAT MY ASS" at a room full of ponies.

That said, I don't think this will be anywhere near as popular as G4 was, mostly because the character writing isn't anywhere near as strong.

The character writing was, I think, the primary reason why MLP got so popular. In G4, you knew exactly who each character was within five minutes of meeting her; her interests, her strengths, her flaws. Fluttershy was sweet and autistic, Pinkie Pie was a hyperactive spaz with mental health problems; Rainbow Dash was brave and competitive but also lazy and a bit of a cyberbullying shitposter, Rarity was a thot. Having strong, memorable characters is a good sign in any show, but it was particularly helpful for lonely 20-something autists, who were able to identify with, and "befriend", the G4 ponies very quickly. Autists have trouble picking up on subtle social cues, but even for the terminally autistic, there's no mistaking who the G4 ponies were, what they wanted and what they were about.

But G5? The characters are very flat. Even after an hour of screentime, you don't get a feel for who they are or how they'd react in any given situation. There's SOME brony community coping and seething about this lack of characterization so far, with the emphasis on cope - they seem to be hoping/assuming that the G5 characters will become more fleshed out and relatable as more and more media gets pumped out. I doubt this will be the case (one of the major downfalls of G4 was the fact that in later seasons, Hasbro kept pushing more and more useless "toy sales" characters, characters who were never improved or fixed), and I assume that seethe will become more common within a year. But we'll have to wait and see!

CHRISCHAN might not mind, though. I can't presume to speak on his behalf, but given that Chris is one of the few bronies who actually watched G1-3, I don't think the problems with G5 would faze him.

Enig

kiwifarms.net
Had a funny realization today about why the fan reaction to this feels so familiar, it's a retread of the third Star Wars trilogy. We're at the part where all the hype fans are hopped up on hopium while everyone that's been into the production news and staff choices is going "wait a minute". Hell, it's even doing the same thing as episode VII where most of it's just a retread of past occurences with a different coat of paint and random contradictions going on. Now to watch the next part where everyone goes full auto exceptional individual with fan theories only to get shut down hard by that show or special or whatever and the hype audience this built up starts to evaporate.

Hmmpf!

Heres your mandatory spooky avatar
kiwifarms.net
Had a funny realization today about why the fan reaction to this feels so familiar, it's a retread of the third Star Wars trilogy. We're at the part where all the hype fans are hopped up on hopium while everyone that's been into the production news and staff choices is going "wait a minute". Hell, it's even doing the same thing as episode VII where most of it's just a retread of past occurences with a different coat of paint and random contradictions going on. Now to watch the next part where everyone goes full auto exceptional individual with fan theories only to get shut down hard by that show or special or whatever and the hype audience this built up starts to evaporate.
But there's a big difference.

With Star Wars, alot of (even the major and most rabid ones) fan reactions were near universally negative, and thus less infighting sans the several side issues. And the fan scene won't really affected much or die / turned extremely obscure without it. Hell, the fanbase would be better off without it actually.

With MLP, because of its now regressed numbers of fans left to the point of extreme obscurity, are now very rabid and desperate defending the crumbs of whats left for them, nevermind that the new movie is seemingly pretty much set in line with gen before G4 / FIM, basically Hasbros return to the original "target demographic'. Not to mention that, unlike Star Wars, even if you're just saying that you're not really liked the new movie that much, youll be branded "purist" by angry bunch of them regardless of context.

Not that I particularly care either way. The multitude of toxic shits happening in the MLP Fandom on the last couple of years pretty much seals the fate and scared the shit off for the remaining "bronies".