My pet ferret is on the verge of death and I need a way to cope. - please help

Pigeon On A Stick

"Least Concern"
kiwifarms.net
Kiwi Farms, this is the first time i've ever really gone off topic, but my ferret Sheldon is dying of cancer symptoms. I've never really experienced death in anyone so close to me, and every day is becoming more and more uneasy on me. What is your views on this, is there any way to make it seem not so heartbreaking? How do you guys cope and make it feel happy and ignorable?

EDIT: The news came in, Sheldon passed away peacefully with the help of the vet. Thanks you Kiwi Farms for turning this into a happier situation.

Last edited:

Pigeon On A Stick

"Least Concern"
kiwifarms.net
Kill yourself, be with him in heaven.
Tried it already, don't have the guts
Buy a new ferret and name him Sheldon?
Each ferret has a different personality and different appearance, and I taught him how to respond to his name and it would be crippling to do it all over again. It would break the illusion you'd have set up.

Last edited:

Pigeon On A Stick

"Least Concern"
kiwifarms.net
That's so rough on you. Can you lean on family or friends and not be alone.

They're locating some out-of-town vets and that's where he is right now, but it's getting desperate. When they tell me that "it's natural" and "it's gonna be fine" I know they're not half-assing it but it just makes feel even more hopeless than before.

Pigeon On A Stick

"Least Concern"
kiwifarms.net
I'm very sorry for the plight of your slinky-rat friend. Are ferrets prone to cancer?
Ferrets are unusually prone to cancer of the spleen. And the spleen is a really important organ in any blood-bearing animal.
There's really nothing that can be done. If Sheldon dies you can honour him with a proper burial. Even if it won't replace Sheldon, you can eventually get a new ferret and cherish it all the same.
I don't want to get any other pets after Sheldon passes. Even though it's so fun having pets (I had fish and hermit crabs when I was younger), It's all for naught when they pass away and grow weaker in front of you daily. It's like a cycle of happiness and mourning.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ferrets are unusually prone to cancer of the spleen. And the spleen is a really important organ in any blood-bearing animal.

I don't want to get any other pets after Sheldon passes. Even though it's so fun having pets (I had fish and hermit crabs when I was younger), It's all for naught when they pass away and grow weaker in front of you daily. It's like a cycle of happiness and mourning.
I know how that is. I would think raising more than one species at a time be of interest to try unless the grief of mortality makes this unbearable to repeat again.

on a serious note

kiwifarms.net

I would actually wait a little while to properly grieve for Sheldon before getting another living slinky. Too soon and you may not have had time to properly mourn for him.

Grieving is very important and imo giving Sheldon a proper burial, and even a small memorial, can go a long way towards helping you cope with the grief.

I think that if you give yourself some time and grieve properly for Sheldon, that you will find yourself ready at some point for another pet. Not as a replacement for Sheldon, but as a continuation of your positive experiences with him.