My pet ferret is on the verge of death and I need a way to cope. - please help

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

SpessCaptain

Salty Space Bitch
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When the time comes you will deal it your own way. Grief is important in accepting this but don't be worried if you get over it quickly or if it takes time. Everyone greives differently, either in their spare private time or with others. And as heartless as you might think you are, you might not even feel upset at all.

Pina Colada

I'm not a chicken, you're a TURKEY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
DIY surgery?

Or make a little collage with all your photos and drawings (if you have any) of him.

Ol' Slag

Pouring a fourty for the shorties!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know I posted a comical response earlier but I will give you my best advice. For a while, its gonna suck. The stupidest shit is gonna remind you of them and you might get a bit teary eyed. As time fades, all the times they pissed you off will fade from memory, only leaving all the happy and beautiful memories. Relish those memories. If you throw a ceremony, don't let it be one of sadness. Instead, have a drink, a toke or your decadent desire of choice and remember all the hilarious moments, the moments that will have an impact on the rest of your life.

Semper Fi, little hamster, Semper Fi.

Joan Nyan

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't want to get any other pets after Sheldon passes. Even though it's so fun having pets (I had fish and hermit crabs when I was younger), It's all for naught when they pass away and grow weaker in front of you daily. It's like a cycle of happiness and mourning.
Stop getting real animals and get stuffed animals, they're immortal.

Ebola

No Cure For Love
kiwifarms.net
Guys, I think we're witnessing the birth of a nihilist here.

OP, you seem to be a tad obsessed with the notion of relationships being meaningless because everyone and everything inevitably dies or is destroyed. If that were the case, why even post here? Even assuming we want to be your friends and help you (which from your posts in this thread alone, we don't), we are all gonna die anyway.

Everything dies and stays dead, but there aren't any rules that say things that die actually stay dead forever and everywhere; in fact, the opposite is true. For example, you could clone Sheldon (start taking and freezing healthy tissue samples now before he's dead), travel back in time and steal a baby Sheldon from yourself (uh oh, paradox), steal another Sheldon from another universe, or perfectly emulate a healthy Sheldon via a powerful computer.

In addition, if it's cancer, some forms of cancer are immortal, meaning they can reproduce forever and never die, whereas all healthy cells are destined to die. Sheldon might die, but if you want you could always preserve his live tumor culture till then end of time by feeding it daily and watching it grow as a living memorial to him. It would be just like having a Chia Pet, except it won't ever die, so you don't have to worry about loss like the pansy you are.

Last edited:

exball

He's fat! Iiiiii'm thin!
kiwifarms.net
I've never really experienced death in anyone so close to me
Look man, I'm not going to give you some shitposting response. I've had pets die before, obviously it sucks a lot but it is a ferret you realize? You're talking like your grandma died or something. You really will get over it in time as you come to understand pets just don't live as long as you do.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, I do sincerely hope the vet can help your ferret.

meatslab

Magical, pansexual, non-threatening spokesthing
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd get him cremated. Keeping my cat's ashes really give me a peace of mind because you always have a little part of them with you. Ive got all 3 of them in their boxes with their names on them.

Sorry for your loss, OP. Losing a pet is never fun especially when you consider them family. :(

Jacquetta

This Badass Self
kiwifarms.net
I'm so sorry for your loss, OP, that's always really rough even when you know they're sick and it's better for them. =/

I'd get him cremated. Keeping my cat's ashes really give me a peace of mind because you always have a little part of them with you. Ive got all 3 of them in their boxes with their names on them.
This is some good advice here, though. If absolutely nothing else it gives you some time to get through the grieving process before you bury or scatter Sheldon and if you don't want to do that you can just get him a nice urn and keep him with you.

Curt Sibling

Napoleon Blownapart
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not being nasty here, but if a person melts down over a dead pet - How are they to handle the loss of a parent?

Innocuous Banter

kiwifarms.net
Look, pets dying really sucks but if you can't/don't know how to cope over a lost pet, maybe you're a bitch

Another ferret/cat/whatever needs a good pet owner right now, so don't pussy out. Love the next ferret, then the one after that, then the one after that

Q

QB 290

kiwifarms.net
Losing pets sucks, but you really just have to be strong, never forget your pet and remember the best of it. That's the best service you can give it