My project to use 24/7 outdoor music broadcast to repel urban hoodlums - don't let your memes stay dreams

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Got any good recs for these genres?
1970s-1980s Afrikaner folk nationalistic or patriotically-minded music that I can recall off the top of my head (some are 1970s-1980s covers of much older songs):

split up into ones I am partial to:

and others that are ok

representative sampling of old 1920s-1940s Boeremusiek (it all sounds kind of samey after a while and being folk music that at one point almost every musically-inclined Boer family was capable of producing, there are dozens of different performers and probably hundreds of albums whose music survived to be uploaded onto the internet):

Actually I come to prefer the 1950s-1960s Boeremusiek where it starts to stray from the strictly Afrikaner musical tradition form due to foreign influence from American and European country music (this is a whole other enormous subgenre where it also does sound samey after a while):

it's no laughing matter. In the bad times, the junkies and hoodrats and transients were openly defecating and urinating in or near many of the troublesome areas where I ended up having to mount a broadcast speaker unit. Absolutely disgusting subhuman behavior. Piss odor everywhere. They were basically using the entire stretch of parking lot and sidewalk as an open air latrine. I startled at least one of nog into pissing onto his shoes by abruptly switching to this audio track and turning the volume up to max while he was in mid piss.

I wish I had onsite internet access, as I am sure I could have set up something like that complete with mic'ed up camera and media share.
This is all very interesting. Classical and folk music seem like great options. Do you tend to use more light classical tracks? I feel like Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition'- particularly 'The Great Gate of Kiev' would be a great choice, as would be various national anthems.
I feel like you could get a bit of classic rock in there. Perhaps some charity music?

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is all very interesting. Classical and folk music seem like great options. Do you tend to use more light classical tracks? I feel like Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition'- particularly 'The Great Gate of Kiev' would be a great choice, as would be various national anthems.
I feel like you could get a bit of classic rock in there. Perhaps some charity music?
Through trial and error, I ended up gradually purging pretty much all the classical out of the playlists because unless you have a powerful commercial loudspeaker or dedicated outdoor speaker system, the classical will not be able to do a good job of drowning out the hoodrats' portable Bluetooth speakers, which are like the modern equivalent of boomboxes. Just about every hoodrat has some kind of portable speaker device like that.

The only thing that can overpower the hoodrats' preferred hiphop-type music with strong beat and strong lyric component is another type of music with strong beat and strong lyric component. Hence the loading up of the playlists primarily with unhip pop music (has lyrics and beats) and some marching music (has strong beat and sometimes lyric). It's optimal for the music to have a soprano lyrical component, because higher pitch vocals cut through everything else and is acoustically superior in its ability to travel further and retain most of its fidelity over distance and competing noise. Also any lyrical component is usually better than no lyrical component, because the vocals interfere with the hoodrats' ability to talk to one another or talk over the phone within range of the broadcast speaker.

Through trial and error, I ended up gradually purging pretty much all the classical out of the playlists because unless you have a powerful commercial loudspeaker or dedicated outdoor speaker system, the classical will not be able to do a good job of drowning out the hoodrats' portable Bluetooth speakers, which are like the modern equivalent of boomboxes. Just about every hoodrat has some kind of portable speaker device like that.

The only thing that can overpower the hoodrats' preferred hiphop-type music with strong beat and strong lyric component is another type of music with strong beat and strong lyric component. Hence the loading up of the playlists primarily with unhip pop music (has lyrics and beats) and some marching music (has strong beat and sometimes lyric). It's optimal for the music to have a soprano lyrical component, because higher pitch vocals cut through everything else and is acoustically superior in its ability to travel further and retain most of its fidelity over distance and competing noise. Also any lyrical component is usually better than no lyrical component, because the vocals interfere with the hoodrats' ability to talk to one another or talk over the phone within range of the broadcast speaker.
Interesting. Do you have any Edith Piaf in the rotation?
One of my favorite political shows uses this as intro music- despite no connection to the Foreign Legion.

Reactions: cuddle striker

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Interesting. Do you have any Edith Piaf in the rotation?
One of my favorite political shows uses this as intro music- despite no connection to the Foreign Legion.
I don't have anything against Edith Piaf, of course she is the great chanteuse of that era and has a very iconic sound. But I probably listened to her classic songs many hundreds of times before, so it would have driven me crazy to hear that playing outside all day too.

Instead, since nearly the beginning, I had included in the playlists a 45 min compilation of Rina Ketty, which is superficially like Edith Piaf but ten years earlier and with a slight Italian accent. Also Rina Ketty has a higher pitch singing voice, so the sound carries much better too. The Rina Ketty compilation works very well; even the short instrumental interludes are higher pitch in volume and work well at drowning out other noise. If you don't know her, Rina Ketty is famous for the "J'attendrai" song. It's different enough from Edith Piaf that it doesn't make me sick of hearing it every now and then.

Looney Troons

positively rates dumb posts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ve been following this thread since this post was made. Thank you for your contributions. I have a friend who owns a few warehouses in Forney, Texas which is a bit East of Dallas. A few years back, some kids hosted a rave or something in one of the recently abandoned warehouses. Ever since that rave, a bunch of rather unscrupulous types have used the area as a base of operations, even after the warehouse was purchased again. The Forney police are allegedly unwilling to do anything about these people as they are not overtly acting in violence, but overtime, my friend claims that the nogs and their ilk have made a total mess of the surrounding areas. They’ll throw bottles at the buildings, etc., all of which is being actively recorded. Again, no intervention because no harm is being done.

It’s my own speculation that since Forney is an up-and-coming developing city, the city itself is OK to have the miscreants out of the view of the public eye.

The situation became exacerbated recently when my friend found a half dozen spent condoms and feces smeared on the side of his building. Hearing about this, I directed him to this thread. The friend just so happens to be a guitarist and has an interest in metalworking. He liked this thread so much that he has allegedly rigged up 4 huge poles (I don’t know the dimensions off hand, sorry, but only that they’re quite large) and attached some old practice amps to them which are placed around the perimeter of the building.

I don’t have the specifics as to how he’s broadcasting to the amps, but he has had a mixed level of success. He claims to have had the most success just taking samples of Atari game sound effects, ripping them, opening the file in Audacity or similar, increasing the fuck out of the gain, and just letting it fly. Unfortunately, another tenant nearby seems to discard those foam sound isolating earbuds around their property, and they’re reused to combat some of the new noise pollution. A good number of them have dispersed to other adjacent warehouses, so the issue isn’t completely remedied, but the number that used to congregate between his buildings and the original base of operations has decreased significantly.

I’m sure he has seen the suggestions about bagpipes, etc., I’m just not too sure how effective practice amps would be for this exercises as they’re lacking in range. I’ll try to get photos of his setup.

tl;dr - showed friend this thread a while back who was having issues with new intrusive niggos. Friend devised his own solution using this as a baseline. Mixed results as cockroaches are resilient.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ve been following this thread since this post was made. Thank you for your contributions. I have a friend who owns a few warehouses in Forney, Texas which is a bit East of Dallas. A few years back, some kids hosted a rave or something in one of the recently abandoned warehouses. Ever since that rave, a bunch of rather unscrupulous types have used the area as a base of operations, even after the warehouse was purchased again. The Forney police are allegedly unwilling to do anything about these people as they are not overtly acting in violence, but overtime, my friend claims that the nogs and their ilk have made a total mess of the surrounding areas. They’ll throw bottles at the buildings, etc., all of which is being actively recorded. Again, no intervention because no harm is being done.

It’s my own speculation that since Forney is an up-and-coming developing city, the city itself is OK to have the miscreants out of the view of the public eye.

The situation became exacerbated recently when my friend found a half dozen spent condoms and feces smeared on the side of his building. Hearing about this, I directed him to this thread. The friend just so happens to be a guitarist and has an interest in metalworking. He liked this thread so much that he has allegedly rigged up 4 huge poles (I don’t know the dimensions off hand, sorry, but only that they’re quite large) and attached some old practice amps to them which are placed around the perimeter of the building.

I don’t have the specifics as to how he’s broadcasting to the amps, but he has had a mixed level of success. He claims to have had the most success just taking samples of Atari game sound effects, ripping them, opening the file in Audacity or similar, increasing the fuck out of the gain, and just letting it fly. Unfortunately, another tenant nearby seems to discard those foam sound isolating earbuds around their property, and they’re reused to combat some of the new noise pollution. A good number of them have dispersed to other adjacent warehouses, so the issue isn’t completely remedied, but the number that used to congregate between his buildings and the original base of operations has decreased significantly.

I’m sure he has seen the suggestions about bagpipes, etc., I’m just not too sure how effective practice amps would be for this exercises as they’re lacking in range. I’ll try to get photos of his setup.

tl;dr - showed friend this thread a while back who was having issues with new intrusive niggos. Friend devised his own solution using this as a baseline. Mixed results as cockroaches are resilient.
Sounds like he is not so far from me and in some ways has a more badass setup than me! I have just been stringing together old or refurbished desktop speakers and the odd Bluetooth speaker, so I imagine guitar amps would be pretty good for strong localized coverage. I wish I knew more about audio stuff or had time to learn about audio stuff, otherwise I probably could have done the sound file modification stuff too, and wire together a better setup with some of the more complicated home entertainment speakers I have scrounged up from picking through abandoned storage space. If it's any more complex than an AUX cable and 120V power supply, I'm pretty much lost.

I guess it depends on the acoustic environment, but sometimes in the light industrial/warehouse areas, the buildings are further apart so it may be tougher to bounce the sound around without a more powerful setup. I generally have the benefit of good acoustic environment around my sites, with lots of flat concrete surfaces from walls to buildings to ground, all at different angles. And for sure in light industrial zone, there can be more ambient noise to fight against.

I hope he can get the local PD to take his case more seriously. If he hasn't already, he should put up signage that says "No Trespassing : Violators Will Be Prosecuted Under Texas Penal Code Section 30.05", and try to nail the offenders on criminal trespass charge. If it works the same as in my municipality, the first criminal trespass charge will result in an issue of a criminal trespass affidavit that records the trespasser's ID info, and the second criminal trespass charge results in an automatic arrest and at least 2 weeks in county jail. Unfortunately this does require a bit of "legwork" and maybe even some stakeout or rigging up remotely viewable security cameras depending on when the trespassing is happening at night and how long the police response time is.

But from my experience with doing this, I'm very much of the belief that it has to be a multi-spectrum approach, if that makes any sense. A 24/7 outdoor broadcast alone isn't going to fix 100% of the problem, 100% of the time. It's just a cheap, low tech fix for maybe 40% of the problem, 40% of the time. There's no real substitute for scaring away the trespassers with the threat of state-sanctioned violence. If he's having trouble getting the police out to his property, there's some key words that I've found have been good for bumping you higher up in the police response priority.

When talking to the 911 dispatcher, it's good to mention phrases like "suspicious individuals", "I don't know if the criminal trespassers are armed; it's too dark to see / I don't feel safe approaching them, etc", (or better yet, I can see the trespassers is armed, carrying a screwdriver or lead pipe, etc) "I'm alone out here / there's six of them and I'm the only person working here".

I really hope your friend can get rid of those hoodlums and I hope those hoodlums get ear infections from those used foam ear plugs.

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
(or better yet, I can see the trespassers is armed, carrying a screwdriver or lead pipe, etc) "
edit: I just realized that you may actually be talking about someone who is actually carrying those items. lol, ignore my sperging below.

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. With that being said...

Never lie and say you actually see a weapon, it could come back to bite you in the ass. If you want to be creative you can say that from your vantage point they appear to be messing with their waistband and they appear to be trying to conceal something. The dispatcher is going to relay that to the responding officers and they're going to approach him as if he's got a weapon without you being caught in a blatant lie on the dispatch tapes.

• Agree
Reactions: millais

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did anybody suggest Gregorian Chant yet? Or Gregorian covers of popular songs?
There's maybe 5-6 audio tracks in the playlists that are medieval music. Mostly Crusader songs in Old German or Old French, like the Palastinalied. I believe some of them are polyphonic though, not the monophonic style of Gregorian.

Then there's maybe 10-12 songs from late medieval, early Renaissance period, which are all Landsknechten songs.

And almost from Day One of this project (in actuality, maybe it was Day Three), I have had an epic rendition of "Merck toch hoe sterck" in every playlist. It's actually a song from the 1630s, but it has a very medieval feel to it due to the orchestration of the instrumental part.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Have you heard Pack Your Things and Trek Fereira?
Never heard of Pack Your Things. I've heard "Vat Jou Goed en Trek, Ferreira" and at one point there were at least 3 different renditions of it on the playlist. I might have trimmed it down to just one or two versions after all this time.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bad developments over this past week...

Due to local precinct police being pulled away to do overtime in the downtown urban riot areas, the nigs are getting emboldened and have trashed the oldest broadcast unit every day this past week in order to sleep underneath it undisturbed and set fires underneath there and piss there. They have been ripping out or cutting exposed wires, all without being picked up by the 3 security cameras that are trained on that spot. On the recorded footage, I can see them gathering around to set fires and being a general nuisance, but I never see any video evidence of the tampering with the broadcast unit. They must be moving so slowly that it's not triggering the camera's motion detection threshold or using a knife on a really long stick to damage the broadcast unit from out of view.

The constant damage was so severe to the broadcast unit that I had to augment the original desktop speaker pair with an audio splitter hooked up to another pair of cheap USB mini-speakers I had been saving for just this contingency, but this backup speaker pair was subsequently totally destroyed by a knife of some sort. Usually I can splice the wires back together when they are damaged, but this was a very thorough job and the wires were already really tiny so I didn't have much to work with. I was going to replace the backup with a spare Walmart bluetooth speaker from a now-unnecessary broadcast unit that had already been totally cannibalized for parts, but this speaker doesn't even turn on anymore so it's a dud.

I finally resorted to purchasing a completely new pair of $15 desktop speakers to add to the original desktop speakers via audio splitter, and re-installing the whole broadcast unit about 5 or 6 feet higher up, so maybe 15 or 16 feet off the ground. This is hopefully high enough to prevent any tampering, without diminishing the loudness of the broadcast. As a further measure, I epoxied all the 3.5mm jacks and power cables into their respective sockets so they can't be ripped out any more, and all exposed wiring is covered with a protective duct tape "sheath" that will make it hard to slice with a knife on a stick.

Also now instead of playing a variety medley playlist, I have set this broadcast unit to play a single song called "Silverstraler" by Sonja Herholdt on loop (the song must exist somewhere out there, but I can't find any video uploads of it now and I don't have the mp3 file on my computer to show you what it sounds like). I had switched to this single-song loop shortly before installing the cheap backup USB speakers, which were then completely destroyed the following night, so I suspect it is an especially aggravating song for the nigs. Very repetitive ear-wormy type composition, with snares and high-energy female vocals to make it hard to sleep through. Prior to the switch in musical programming, they didn't use any knives to damage the broadcast setup, presumably because it's more risky to them when I can show the police evidence of knives being used to do the property damage.

So far the new setup has survived one night unmolested, but the security camera footage shows no nigs even passing by, so it could be that they were out looting or something and didn't have time to mess with the setup.

I also bought some masonry skillsaw and angle grinder blades so I can reshape the concrete layout underneath this trouble spot so it will be less inviting of a spot for the nigs.

The rest of the broadcast units have not been molested at all during the civil unrest, which is probably due to their sturdier construction and placement, being either encased in a protective steel cage or mounted very high off the ground with little exposed wiring.

Depending on if the damage continues, I may do the Roof Korean type stakeout deal and I'm definitely adopting a zero-tolerance policy. Every nig who wants to loiter in the trouble spot gets the police called on them from here on out, since they are complicit in the setting of the fires and the property damage. Until one of them rats the responsible nig out, they all get the police response.

Tags
None