My project to use 24/7 outdoor music broadcast to repel urban hoodlums - don't let your memes stay dreams

Grinrow

Monkey
kiwifarms.net
Maybe someone has suggested this but have you tried armoring up the wires themselves? if you could get a metalworker to create a bunch of thick metal tubes that fit around the wires it would make it completely impossible for the parkour masters to ruin it as they would be forced to bring bolt cutters up with them. It probably wouldn't stop the ladder guys but it would create a bigger hassle for them than it already is.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe someone has suggested this but have you tried armoring up the wires themselves? if you could get a metalworker to create a bunch of thick metal tubes that fit around the wires it would make it completely impossible for the parkour masters to ruin it as they would be forced to bring bolt cutters up with them. It probably wouldn't stop the ladder guys but it would create a bigger hassle for them than it already is.
I have some spare electrical conduit tubing/piping that is specifically designed for that purpose, but I decided against using it because it's so heavy and would require some serious loadbearing anchor setup. Fortunately the remounting of the whole broadcast unit higher up seems to have solved the problem. And I think the way I duct-taped the wires (each bundle of wire is sandwiched between two flat lengths of duct tape that run the entire length of the wire) is a decent enough protection. Without climbing up there and having both hands free to manipulate a knife and grip the wire bundle, the duct tape layers make it awkward to get a good angle for cutting the wire if they are using a blade on a long pole.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
one of the older broadcast units suffered a severe loss of function today from overuse. It was the third unit I set up, consisting of two pairs of 2 speakers + 1 subwoofer each. The older speaker/subwoofer set was already half-dead for many months, having been in 24/7 operation for over a year now, but today it completely died. That leaves only the newer speaker/subwoofer set, which is not that powerful and was only intended to augment the older, more powerful set.

So now the broadcast unit as a whole is only putting out about 1/3 of the sound volume that it used to. For now, I have addressed the loss of volume with a quick fix by changing the MP3 player on this broadcast unit to play this on loop. It has vigorous enough vocals and percussion to cover the broadcast unit's intended area at a diminished, but satisfactory level of effectiveness.

If the weather cools down, I may uninstall the dead speaker/subwoofer set and buy another new $15 speaker set to replace it, since the broadcast unit is still set up for a 3.5mm audio splitter for two outputs. I have found that subwoofers are definitely a waste of money for this kind of setup. They burn out much faster than the speakers when blasting 24/7, and they generally waste wattage that could be going to the speakers.

LiveFromNS

JIMI
kiwifarms.net
one of the older broadcast units suffered a severe loss of function today from overuse. It was the third unit I set up, consisting of two pairs of 2 speakers + 1 subwoofer each. The older speaker/subwoofer set was already half-dead for many months, having been in 24/7 operation for over a year now, but today it completely died. That leaves only the newer speaker/subwoofer set, which is not that powerful and was only intended to augment the older, more powerful set.

So now the broadcast unit as a whole is only putting out about 1/3 of the sound volume that it used to. For now, I have addressed the loss of volume with a quick fix by changing the MP3 player on this broadcast unit to play this on loop. It has vigorous enough vocals and percussion to cover the broadcast unit's intended area at a diminished, but satisfactory level of effectiveness.

If the weather cools down, I may uninstall the dead speaker/subwoofer set and buy another new $15 speaker set to replace it, since the broadcast unit is still set up for a 3.5mm audio splitter for two outputs. I have found that subwoofers are definitely a waste of money for this kind of setup. They burn out much faster than the speakers when blasting 24/7, and they generally waste wattage that could be going to the speakers.
Always great to read your updates about your ongoing battle against the vermin and rats who congregate in your location man.

I may be crazy, but if you set up a Patreon/GoFundMe or something similar I am sure at least a couple of people would throw some bucks your way to assist you in your eradication and extermination project. I'd be one if it meant getting more wonderful tales of your endeavors and the crazy shit surrounding this whole situation! Some stealth video (without ID'ing this location if that would be possible of course) would be a fucking treat too! Not necessary, but I'd love to see how they act when they are loitering around and doing what they do with the constant audio barrage!

Too bad we didn't live in a world where instead of you having to use sonic disruptions to disperse the lowlifes and scumbags that stink up a place, you could mount some good heavy machine guns that are motion sensored or you could remotely control and blow the gnats away. Or a nice sniper rifle with silencer and scope and from the comforts of your home, you can use an app on your phone to view through the scope and when an unwanted undesirable decides to put roots down and annoy the fine citizens who work in the area, you can blow them away with nice headshots! If only...

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
If it hasn't been recommended already I would recommend Merzbow, even Merzbow fans don't like it. Hell I'm not even sure Merzbow himself likes it and I'm not sure it can even be considered music.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a photo of the broadcast unit I had to rebuild and remount higher up last month due to destruction and tampering. Now it's impossible to reach without a 12 foot ladder, and the wires are "armored" with duct tape, which makes it very hard to cut. During the daytime, it's impossible to get any clean audio of it in action, due to constant background noise from machinery nearby.
IMG_20200702_155006[1].jpg

The outdoor temperature is too hot for me to consider redoing the other broadcast unit that had half the speakers die, so I guess it will just be stuck playing that one song on loop.

Tags
None