My project to use 24/7 outdoor music broadcast to repel urban hoodlums - don't let your memes stay dreams

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I see that you've taken the Android out of the equation, but if you do need to return to it in the future you could always see if there's a custom rom available for the phone model you're using. I highly doubt anyone is going to worry about EU regulations about sound and leave that in the code.
I can't even root this phone anymore or flash anything on it since I accidentally let it autoupdate to a more recent version of Android and can't figure out a way to revert.
r/thathappened

But if it really did, great work!

P.S. Why would anybody else in the area tolerate the noise, if it's so offensive to the hoodlums?
The people who have legitimate reason to be on site are not typically going to be loitering within the range of the broadcast any longer than a few minutes' smoke break, so even if they hate the music selection (very few complaints so far) it's not a torturous ordeal. Only time someone was adversely affected was one fire alarm service contractor who had to spend a few hours installing a transceiver underneath one of the broadcast units while it was doing a long stretch of Bundeswehr marching music.

The undesirables and passerbys are not so tolerant, they need rap and hiphop music like we need air and water to live, and a lot of non-nig music is like ear torture to them if they have to endure more than a minute of it. The only way they can reliably beat the system now is by blasting their own music through their earbuds at hearing-damage volume levels. And whenever I suspect they are trying to get clever by doing things like that, I increase the pressure by switching to a single-track playlist that will repeat the same short song ad nauseum.

I can't even root this phone anymore or flash anything on it since I accidentally let it autoupdate to a more recent version of Android and can't figure out a way to revert.

The people who have legitimate reason to be on site are not typically going to be loitering within the range of the broadcast any longer than a few minutes' smoke break, so even if they hate the music selection (very few complaints so far) it's not a torturous ordeal. Only time someone was adversely affected was one fire alarm service contractor who had to spend a few hours installing a transceiver underneath one of the broadcast units while it was doing a long stretch of Bundeswehr marching music.

The undesirables and passerbys are not so tolerant, they need rap and hiphop music like we need air and water to live, and a lot of non-nig music is like ear torture to them if they have to endure more than a minute of it. The only way they can reliably beat the system now is by blasting their own music through their earbuds at hearing-damage volume levels. And whenever I suspect they are trying to get clever by doing things like that, I increase the pressure by switching to a single-track playlist that will repeat the same short song ad nauseum.
I get you, your story initially sounded like one of those weird made-up ones, but then I kept reading and it was obvious that nobody would put in that much detail just to pull somebody's leg. I believe you.

Crichax

Repented Before The Emperor
kiwifarms.net
A badass 40K song was recommended earlier in this thread's life. Maybe try its opposite: a C U R S E D Homestuck song. The awkward teenage voice of the singer might scare the rats off, and I could easily see them assuming that this song would play on the radio normally.

• Dislike
Reactions: Wake me up

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To avoid overheating the powerful Bluetooth speaker, which forces me to bring out a 9ft ladder to manually reset it every 3-4 days after continually broadcasting on 70% volume, I finally got around to putting some timers on the paired phone. So now I have it automatically drop the volume down to 1% for a 30 second cooldown period every 2 minutes, in order to provide adequate time for the heat to dissipate without buildup. I may have to play around with the timers a bit in order to get a more satisfactory effect.

Yesterday, I tried 5 minutes of low volume cooldown for every 2 hour broadcast period at 100% volume, but that still managed to overheat the speaker in just 24 hours.

I'm now thinking maybe it can be pretty annoying if I do a one second cooldown for every 2 second broadcast period at 100% volume.

Originally I wanted to do a 6 hour long cooldown between say 12AM and 6AM every day, but I think as the outdoor temperature increases in summer, the speaker may overheat in the hottest time of the day if there's not continuous opportunity for cooling.

Wake me up

CωC Club founder
kiwifarms.net
Maybe it's easier for you to just add silent 1-minute or 30-second tracks to your playlist, in-between songs. It's less tinkering with the system and it's probably going to dissipate heat much better than operating at half-capacity for a period. Plus you get full volume when it is operating.

Sounds unlikely that a minute or half-minute window every song or every other song would be a major relief to hoodlums but what do I know?

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
Yesterday, I tried 5 minutes of low volume cooldown for every 2 hour broadcast period at 100% volume, but that still managed to overheat the speaker in just 24 hours.
just set the volume to 1% for the rushhour to cool down the system.
you dotn hear the music in that time anyway.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I will have to keep adjusting it. In winter, autumn, this overheating would not be a problem but in the summer air temperature will get to above 40 C. Already now I am looking at 30 C. I may have no choice but to have a nighttime cooldown period of a few hours and even a midday cooldown period during the worst heat.

Its actually not too important that this Bluetooth speaker is working anymore because I constructed some strong physical deterrent to make it impossible for junkies and drunks to sit down comfortably in that area

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
Already now I am looking at 30 C. I may have no choice but to have a nighttime cooldown period of a few hours and even a midday cooldown period during the worst heat.
are there junkies midday in the summer? also can a mirror maybe make the junkie vorner to bright and hot for them?

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
are there junkies midday in the summer? also can a mirror maybe make the junkie vorner to bright and hot for them?
These troublesome areas are all having good shade from the direct sunlight, so that is why these scum like to sit there to get high or drunk. They used to enjoy sitting on top of this wood piling barrier like it was a row of barstools, but I put long steel screws and nails into the tops of the pilings so they cannot sit there. Now they sit on the concrete curb of the sidewalk if they loiter there at all.

I am not sure if a mirror will be safe to mount outdoors. Luckily none of the hoodrats ever try to throw bricks at the things I am installing to get rid of them, but I would have a big and nasty mess to clean up if they broke a mirror I had mounted at 3-4 m height. I have had a painful cut wound from disposing of broken mirror fragments without heavy gloves one time

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
but I would have a big and nasty mess to clean up if they broke a mirror I had mounted at 3-4 m height. I have had a painful cut wound from disposing of broken mirror fragments without heavy gloves one time
a polished piece of metal will do the trick. or just some aluminium tape.

you are so dedicated, maybe just train a skunk^^

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For now I have made it easier to remedy the Bluetooth speaker overheating by finally figuring out how to slave total volume control to the phone, so I don't need to bring out a ladder to reach the volume controls on the speaker itself.

Also I had the opportunity to legally dig through an abandoned office recently, and among other useful things I was able to claim, I came out with a fairly new and unused set of cheap desktop speakers and small subwoofer. I have used this speaker set to replace the Walmart Bluetooth speaker with the fried battery, since I could reuse much of the electrical wiring I had laid for the Bluetooth. I think this newly installed speaker set is moderately louder than the old Bluetooth, but again, much of the wattage is probably wasted on the subwoofer. I am again being forced to use the old smartphone with the EU volume limit handicap as the media player for the newly installed speaker set, so I will have to reset the volume on it on a daily basis if I want it to broadcast 24/7. It's not in such a troublesome spot, so it should be ok if I only reset whenever it's convenient for me.

From the same abandoned office, I also salvaged a very impressive set of "Polk Audio" home entertainment-type speakers, like for a home theater or projector setup. There's a big subwoofer unit, maybe 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft in size, and a speaker bar or tower, maybe 3 ft x 0.5 ft x 0.5 ft. Looks like heavy, high quality stuff; the speaker bar/tower is retailing for $140 on Amazon, not sure about the subwoofer model number so I can't look it up. I'm still in the process of figuring out how to hook it up together so I can test it. Many of the cables are missing and I will have to cut and splice some replacements. Seems like it might be missing one speaker tower too, since there's separate "right/left" input and output for power and sound.

If it's still functional, I think it will be very powerful, but there would be only one convenient location in which to mount this subwoofer and speaker due to the heavy weight and big size. And I would have to lay a lot electrical conduit or extension cord in order to reach this mounting spot.

I'm also out of working media players now. All that's left is an old iPhone, which I'm not even sure I can jailbreak since it has a "No SIM Card Inserted" lockout message whenever I boot it up.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Municipal electric grid blackout has knocked out the entire sound system for three days now, since I didn't make any plans for independent power reserve or backup generator. Even other critical security systems like the floodlights, cameras and magnetic door locks are offline. I don't think I will have to worry too much about looting and rioting of hoodrats, as all of the traffic lights, laundromats and convenience stores and fast food and groceries they frequent in the area will be shut down, so they will have no reason or ability to go there. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't go full Roof Korean because the only outdoor lighting that still works is the weak solar-powered lamps which don't provide full coverage, and this is happening on too short notice to borrow NVG.

But even if power is restored, it may take me a few days to manually reset all of the broadcast units because even the media players will have drained their batteries to zero.

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
I am again being forced to use the old smartphone with the EU volume limit handicap as the media player for the newly installed speaker set
can you maybe flash another Os onto them, or is it a hardware cap?

I'm also out of working media players now. All that's left is an old iPhone, which I'm not even sure I can jailbreak since it has a "No SIM Card Inserted" lockout message whenever I boot it up.
craigslist? i still think old boomboxes are the best way, pick them up at fleemarkets, craigslist, goodwill, etc. they are super cheap and would make it alot easyer.
yes you have to pay something, but they are loud and realy cheap.

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't go full Roof Korean because the only outdoor lighting that still works is the weak solar-powered lamps which don't provide full coverage, and this is happening on too short notice to borrow NVG.
they will come with the flashlights of their obamaphones anyway.

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I guess this thread needs an epilogue or post-mortem, so here goes:

The Resolution to the Urban Hoodlum Situation:
I was eventually able to expel the drug dealers, junkies, homeless, and criminal gangs, but I think the sound system can only claim credit for 25% to 30% of the effort. The majority of the effort was accomplished by a 1-2 month period of intensive cooperation with local police, combined with my regular armed spot checks of the troublesome areas. The sound system was never going to expel those big time drug dealers and gang bangers who could roll up their car windows or blast their car stereo to drown out the music broadcast, and in any case they were making enough money off their occupation of the turf that they wouldn't really care about being bombarded with the music. In the end, it took the threat of state sanctioned violence and an expression of my willingness to use it in order to remove the dangerous elements for good. Now these homeless, junkies, gangs and drug dealers have relocated to an abandoned construction site on the other side of a busy road, maybe 50-75 m away, so now it's almost like they are separated from me by the urban cityscape equivalent of a wide river.

These days, the worst the sound system has to deal with are mostly harmless Section 8 blacks and Hispanics who try to use the sidewalk as a resting place on their way to the bus stop or laundromat or supermarket, etc.

The Status of the Sound System:
There were no major improvements made to the setup of the sound system since I last posted. I never did get around to testing out those big home entertainment speakers I found; they would have been hellishly difficult to mount so high off the ground anyway.

Since then, I have only occasionally added/removed music to the playlist of the most accessible broadcast unit, and today I completely de-installed the broadcast unit I had mounted in June for replacing a burned out Bluetooth speaker. The loitering area that this unit was supposed to cover has now been 100% cleared for months and I actually had the media player for that unit already disconnected for probably 3 months now.

The speakers and subwoofer from this disassembled broadcast unit are still in fine working condition, so I used an audio jack splitter to add them to the second-to-last broadcast unit I had installed, increasing the output. This older broadcast unit has been 24/7 broadcasting for at least 6 months now (minus a few days of electrical blackouts), and with a very volume intensive playlist too, so only one of the speakers plus the subwoofer still work. I'm not sure what's wrong with the broken speaker; I suspect either it burned out or rainwater somehow got into the housing and ruined something inside of it. Those speakers were not factory new, as I bought them refurbished, so probably the lifespan is not so good. In any case, the volume output noticeably dropped with one less working speaker in the broadcast unit, so the addition of the "augmenting" speakers and subwoofers brings the max volume of the unit back to about the same level it was at before.

I found a small pair of puny little USB desktop speakers, which I am going to save for augmenting the next broadcast unit that suffers a partial burnout. There's one unit that I've been running 24/7 for maybe 8 months, and I think it may have become a little quieter, though it's broadcasting mostly Mozart, so it was never that loud of a playlist to begin with. If I end up augmenting this unit with an audio splitter to add the little USB speakers to its volume output, I will also redo its weak playlist from scratch, loading it up with the good tracks from the other more effective playlists.

The first broadcast unit I had cobbled together at the beginning of this thread has been running 24/7 for 10 months now, and I don't think it has suffered from much if any decrease in volume, in spite of the fact that it has suffered multiple falls on hard concrete from 4 meters off the ground, its wiring has been cut by the criminals and crudely respliced by me, and it endures full exposure to the harsh western sunlight for 8 hours every day.

The first Bluetooth speaker unit I had installed is still going strong as well, with no discernible fall in volume. I think it's been broadcasting 7 months now, though due to the hot ambient air temperature and the Bluetooth speaker's overheating-triggered automatic shutdown, I have it run at 80% volume from 07h00 to 19h00 every day, and from 19h00 to 07h00, it runs at only 5% volume. So really, it's only broadcasting during the 12 daylight hours. When the winter temperatures arrive, I may be able to run it at 100% volume 24/7, though.

Lessons Learned about the Concept of Music Broadcast for Urban Pacification:
Firstly, anyone attempting this kind of project should go into it after acquiring a better knowledge of speakers and audio-editing than I did. I didn't bother learning how to edit audio files, so I was limited in my playlist selection to music tracks that had high volume to begin with. I didn't know how speaker wattage output correlated to max volume output, so I wasted my $25 electronics coupon on a speaker set that wasted most of its wattage on a subwoofer, when I should have gotten a speaker where all the wattage went to treble speakers. Very sad, many such cases.

On that note, the lessons learned...
  1. subwoofer/bass output should not factor into your selection of speaker. All you need is treble: the more treble you can get, the better. The treble carries much farther and with better fidelity, often cutting through ambient noise where bass would disappear.

2. take the acoustic environment into consideration before selecting/installing speakers. If there is an area with a lot of flat or angled concrete walls or hard surfaces near by that will bounce the sound around nicely, you can use a weaker, less powerful speaker unit for that area. If there's not many nearby surfaces for sound to bounce from, or there are sound baffles (soil, vegetation, etc) or loud ambient noise (vehicle traffic, road/building construction, running motors, etc), a more powerful speaker will be required.

3. You don't need those expensive, dedicated outdoor speakers for the broadcast units. The cheap, generic Chinese desktop speakers will survive heavy rainstorms, harsh sunlight exposure, temperature extremes, etc, with no extra effort on your part, and they can broadcast 24/7 at top volume for many months on end. Two of the sets I'm running are actually secondhand, used sets, so they could have been used for years before I even incorporated them into the sound system.

4. Similarly, you don't need specialized outdoor speaker mountings. Anything that can safely hold up the weight of the speaker units and survive moderate wind will do. I was able to securely hang everything with screws, metal inbox trays for protective cages, and 14-gauge steel wire or thinner to hold it all together. As a general rule, the higher up you mount the speaker units, the less secure from tampering it will need to be. Just don't cheap out all the way and use rubber bands to do it like I did initially.

5. You don't need to set up a finicky wireless control network or labor-intensive centrally wired speaker network; each broadcast unit can have its own media player. You're not running a fancy restaurant using music to create a unified outdoor ambiance, so who cares if any of the broadcast units are synced or even play the same playlist.

6. Select music playlist with a lot of vocal component. It's easy to talk over instrumental music and be clearly understood; it's difficult to talk over a choral or vocal piece without some confusion. Some instrumental music is ok for variety, but an entirely instrumental playlist will be relatively ineffective unless you have powerful speakers and really good acoustic environment like those municipal governments that can blast Bach and Beethoven over PA loudspeakers into a confined underground metro/subway station to keep out the junkies.

7. Select music playlist with a lot of treble in the tracks. As already noted, the treble carries much further over distances. Combined with the previous point regarding vocal component in the tracks, the optimal type of song for the playlist is one with strong female vocals.

8. Music genre selection: the sky is the limit with just one obvious rule. No nigger/spic music. You don't want rap or hiphop (unless it's Moonman I guess), and none of that fruity Hispanic mariachi crooner shit (unless it's praising General Pinochet). To extrapolate from that, nothing with a strong, syncopated jungle-music beat.

The only reason the municipal governments will choose classical music or children's songs for their outdoor broadcast systems is that they are the most "neutral" or least likely to cause offense among innocent passerby who are not loitering.

Going by my aforementioned criteria of selecting for songs with strong female vocals, I found that dated pop-music from the 1950s-1980s came to populate most of my playlists. Also almost all of it was in a non-English language, with the idea that there would not even be any lyrical familiarity for the hoodlums to latch onto, but I'm skeptical that this had any practical effect.

Going by my aforementioned criteria, you could definitely make effective playlists out of certain opera/symphony solo performances (female soprano of course) and yodeling. At one point I was determined to make a playlist heavy in yodeling, since you can imagine the annoying effect of 24 hours of nonstop yodeling songs, but it ended up being damned hard for me to find the music tracks (I keep hearing Quebecois country-music yodeling on the radio, but no luck finding anything on Youtube).

I never ended up resorting to it, but the "Nuclear Option" for audio track selection is something as follows: Peking Opera, children's songs (sung by children), and 10 hr audio of infants crying

Wake me up

CωC Club founder
kiwifarms.net
We should come together as a community and decide what OP's next DIY project should be. I'm inclined to vote for an amateur-vigilante-super-hero Mobile Personal Kit where he goes around and busts criminals out on the streets at random.

Anything, really. I just don't want this wild ride to end... (:_(

millais

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This journey was incredible, entertaining, and endearing. If it were my neighborhood, I would have shot you. But as this war harmed only the deserving and so I applaud you.
I should have added in the "Lessons Learned" section of the post-mortem that this kind of project should not be attempted in a residential area where people can report noise complaints to the police. I did this entire thing in a non-residential zone and cleared it with the police as well, so it was all above board.

Also you probably would have appreciated the 5 different renditions of "Dixie" I put into the playlists, along with the rest of the Confederate songs, which are too numerous to name.
Friendzoned again.
If it means so much to you, I guess you can have my internet seed, whatever that means.
We should come together as a community and decide what OP's next DIY project should be. I'm inclined to vote for an amateur-vigilante-super-hero Mobile Personal Kit where he goes around and busts criminals out on the streets at random.

Anything, really. I just don't want this wild ride to end... (:_(
Well I can post occasional updates on things of interest, but they won't be that interesting. For example, today I saw about 3-4 loitering blacks try to set up about 10-15 m opposite from the Bluetooth speaker broadcast unit, outside what they thought was its effective range. I simply used the paired phone-controller to turn up the volume on the speaker from 80 to 100% and switched from the regular playlist to an endless loop of East German NVA Prasentier Marsch and Yorkscher Marsch. Some of the smarter ones recognize that whenever the distinctive ear-raping NVA marching music comes on, it's because I have manually set it to loop endlessly, so they left immediately, but one of the dumber ones decided to stay there and he waited for 2 loops before finally realizing he was going to be listening to that same 3 minute audio track on repeat for the next three hours, so then he left too.

Anyway, don't expect any more major news though. The only big improvement I have still have planned is to use up the remaining speakers I have on hand to "double up" the volume output of existing broadcast units.

My next DIY project is not so easy nor so amusing. I have to figure out how best to rebuild a 229-ton cooling tower which has rusted to the point of collapse.

Tags
None