Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Rifftrax -

What is your opinion on MST3k/Rifftrax

• 1. Love it more than life itself and will sacrifice my first born child to glorify it's name

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • 2. Love it

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • 3. Meh

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • 4. Hate it

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 5. What the fuck is a MST3K?!

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

Tor Lugosi

kiwifarms.net
Manos: The Hands of Fate is unironically a better film than anything in Coleman Francis' library. They just hadn't encountered true horror yet when they did Manos.
I think Red Zone Cuba and The Beast of Yukka Flats manage to eek their way to 'bad enough to be entertaining' but Skydivers is just... bad, in the worst sort of bland and boring way possible.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis E. Dec Esc.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
I think the worst movie MST3K ever touched was Monster A Go-Go

Watching that film make me appreciate the story that Manos told, which at least had a beginning, a middle and an end.

Monster A Go-Go is such an incomprehensible mess that I couldn't follow it at all, and it turned out to be one of the weaker episodes of MST3K as well because I felt like they didn't even know what to do with it.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Manos: The Hands of Fate is unironically a better film than anything in Coleman Francis' library. They just hadn't encountered true horror yet when they did Manos.
somewhere I saw a theory that played off the riff of "Coleman Francis had a dark muddy vision, with cars" that Francis really did have an ongoing motif of an endlessly dreary world where betrayal and bad times was common.

I find Kitten With A Whip probably one of the least entertaining movies they did. It's not bad per se, just kind of an okay studio flick. There's no hook to make it funny.

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net

Watching that film make me appreciate the story that Manos told, which at least had a beginning, a middle and an end.

Monster A Go-Go is such an incomprehensible mess that I couldn't follow it at all, and it turned out to be one of the weaker episodes of MST3K as well because I felt like they didn't even know what to do with it.
Fun fact: Director Bill Rebane ran out of money halfway through making Monster-A-Go-Go, and sold the footage to Herschell Gordon Lewis, who added a few random scenes and released it as half of a double bill with a movie called Moonshine Mountain. That's why MMAG has no ending and that disjointed fever-dream-with-a-little-too-much-Nyquil aesthetic.

Ten years later, Bill Rebane made another movie called The Giant Spider Invasion, which became one of the better episodes of MST3K's eighth season. ("PACKERS! PACKERS! WOO!")

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
iirc the Rifftrax cover of Giant Spider Invasion wasn't bad either
I remember this one time when TCM showed Monster a go go and Giant Spider back to back

Reactions: Francis E. Dec Esc.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I think Red Zone Cuba and The Beast of Yukka Flats manage to eek their way to 'bad enough to be entertaining' but Skydivers is just... bad, in the worst sort of bland and boring way possible.
Red Zone Cuba was malaise in film form. I was profoundly depressed after watching it and words failed me as to why.

The opening narration of Monster A Go-Go says that "THE FOLLOWING EVENTS MAY NOT EVEN BE POSSIBLE!" It turns out at the end they in fact were impossible and none of the monster bits of the film actually happened. What a twist.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
Fun fact: Director Bill Rebane ran out of money halfway through making Monster-A-Go-Go, and sold the footage to Herschell Gordon Lewis, who added a few random scenes and released it as half of a double bill with a movie called Moonshine Mountain. That's why MMAG has no ending and that disjointed fever-dream-with-a-little-too-much-Nyquil aesthetic.

Ten years later, Bill Rebane made another movie called The Giant Spider Invasion, which became one of the better episodes of MST3K's eighth season. ("PACKERS! PACKERS! WOO!")
iirc the Rifftrax cover of Giant Spider Invasion wasn't bad either
I remember this one time when TCM showed Monster a go go and Giant Spider back to back
Rifftrax's live shows sometimes include movies from the MST3K days but with redone riffs (I know they've done Manos and Space Mutiny before, along with a bunch of Christmas movies, and Hobgoblins is coming up this year). However, the "PACKERS WOOOOOOO" riffs were so good that they were pretty much forced to reinclude them. It just wouldn't have been a low-budget monster film from Wisconsin without them.

I remember that when they redid Space Mutiny, they included a few new David Ryder nicknames too. I fucking love that episode.

Speaking of Rifftrax live shows, it sucks that they can't distribute the live show of The Five Doctors. Something to do with the BBC and rights and whatnot; from what I've heard, that extends to the riffs themselves, so they can't just rerecord the riffs and distribute those like they normally do. That was a great show, and I'd love to be able to see it again. Thanks for nothing, BBC.

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rifftrax's live shows sometimes include movies from the MST3K days but with redone riffs (I know they've done Manos and Space Mutiny before, along with a bunch of Christmas movies, and Hobgoblins is coming up this year). However, the "PACKERS WOOOOOOO" riffs were so good that they were pretty much forced to reinclude them. It just wouldn't have been a low-budget monster film from Wisconsin without them.

I remember that when they redid Space Mutiny, they included a few new David Ryder nicknames too. I fucking love that episode.

Speaking of Rifftrax live shows, it sucks that they can't distribute the live show of The Five Doctors. Something to do with the BBC and rights and whatnot; from what I've heard, that extends to the riffs themselves, so they can't just rerecord the riffs and distribute those like they normally do. That was a great show, and I'd love to be able to see it again. Thanks for nothing, BBC.
Pretty sure there's bootlegs of Five Doctors at least

• Informative
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah been catching a bunch of the RT live shows. Been good enough at least. Give absolutely no fucks about the music acts and whatever bullshit.
I'm still mildly butthurt I didn't get to see them do Mothra. Not so much because I gave fucks about them riffing it as it was a chance to see Mothra on a movie screen. Kinda the reason I went to see them do Plan 9, too. I really got a kick out of the idea that after all those years, Plan 9 From Outer Space was playing in hundreds of cities in packed theaters across America. Manos, too.
Nobody knows a single movie by the Hollywood guy the fertilizer salesman made a bet with, but dammit they know Manos.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Yeah been catching a bunch of the RT live shows. Been good enough at least. Give absolutely no fucks about the music acts and whatever bullshit.
I'm still mildly butthurt I didn't get to see them do Mothra. Not so much because I gave fucks about them riffing it as it was a chance to see Mothra on a movie screen. Kinda the reason I went to see them do Plan 9, too. I really got a kick out of the idea that after all those years, Plan 9 From Outer Space was playing in hundreds of cities in packed theaters across America. Manos, too.
Nobody knows a single movie by the Hollywood guy the fertilizer salesman made a bet with, but dammit they know Manos.
I saw the Mothra one...it was pretty great.

The line that sticks out to me the most is when Nelson kidnaps the two faeries:

"Two tiny Asian women? Woody Allen will pay a fortune for these!"

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Girl In Lover's Lane is another one where the movie really gets in the way of anything funny.
I should see if my old CT uploads still work

• Feels
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Attack of the Super Monsters is a really bad movie and a really good riff.
Yeah I had seen that years ago from back when netflix was dvd only. Been liking the shit dub stuff they've been working with.

Another instance of "joke transcending time", like when they mentioned Frank in the KTMA days, ep 617 The Sword And The Dragon has a ref to The Legend Of Boggy Creek

Tags
None