Mythology and Folklore from your country. -

Solid Snek

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My tribe used to tell a lot of stories!

One of my favorites was called The Burning Time. The legend goes that within a decade, our world was going to end. The Earth Goddess, angered by our factories and capitalism and ignorance of the Great Prophet Malthus, would cause the world's temperature to rise until the planet could tak it no more. Crops would burn, polar bears would go extinct, the hungry seas would rise to consume our vane cities, and there was nothing we could do to stop it - NOTHING - save if everyone stopped being greedy and resolved to obeyed the King. We were given mere years to prepare before the point of no return was passed, which caused us to tear at our scalps and gnash our teeth in fear.
waterworld__1995__wallpaper_1920x1080_by_sachso74_d9ljoqq-pre.jpg

One of a thousand variations on the tale which our storytellers entertained us with.

But, of course, the world is still here. Doom's Day came and went and our cities were not destroyed. So, our wise men recalculate the Apocalypse, and once again we gnashed our teeth and tore our scalps - but that day came and went, too. And the next, and the next. In fact, my tribe still tells this story even today, except now the timeframe is rarely given, and it is no longer called the story of The Burning Time. Now it's the story of The Great Change, which is nice, because regardless of what happens when the judgement of Gaia finally comes - whether it gets colder or hotter, wetter or drier, too many animals die or too few - then our wise men can nod and say they foresaw it long ago.

Last edited:

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
Let me tell you of the story of Timun Mas, a Javanese female giant-slayer story (quite a rarity I believe) from Indonesia.

So an old widow named Mbok Rondo (basically mean old widow, I know, so uncreative) is lonely because her husband is died and she has no child. She prayed to the gods for help, but instead her prayer was answered by a wicked giant named Buta Ijo (meaning Green Giant). He gave her a bag of cucumber seed and told her to plant it. As she plant it, the seed grew and bear fruit to a gold cucumber. When she cut the fruit, she found a beautiful baby girl inside. Adopting her, she named her Timun Mas (Golden Cucumber). However, Buta Ijo then told her that in exchange for the baby, Buta Ijo will return when the baby is an adult to eat her. Desperate, Mbok Rondo agreed to the term.

Timun Mas quickly grew up into a beautiful and kind young girl. However, Mbok Rondo is anxious about her deal with the giant, and she didn't want her daughter to be taken away to be eaten. So Mbok Rondo ask for help to a sage in a mountain. Agreeing to help, the sage gave her four bags, each containing: cucumber seed, needles, salts, and terasi (shrimp paste). He told her to use the items against the giant.

As the day approaches of the giant's arrival, Mbok Rondo told Timun Mas to run away, equipping her with the four bags. As Timun Mas ran away, Buta Ijo arrived for his payment. But when he realized he's bamboozled, he gave chase to the girls. Timun Mas, being chased, then used the magic items to help her escape.

First, the when she threw the cucumber seed, a forest sprang up. The giant, although blocked, managed to continue the chase by eating all of the cucumber. Then, Timun Mas threw the needles, which turn into a forest of sharp bamboos. Although wounded from the bamboo, Buta Ijo still managed to break free. For the third item, Timun Mas threw the salt, which expand into a large sea between her and the giant. But Buta Ijo, still determined, swam across the sea. But as he swam, however, the girl thre the final item, the terasi. It transformed into a giant boiling volcanic mudfield. The giant is trapped inside the mud, and quickly drowned and boiled alive. Once the giant is dead, Timun Mas returned to her mother

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net
Agreeing to help, the sage gave her four bags, each containing: cucumber seed, needles, salts, and terasi (shrimp paste). He told her to use the items against the giant.
I'm not sure why but as I was reading this I thought she would use these to bake a fake daughter. Like she would ask the giant if he allowed her to kill, butcher and cook her daughter so she and her daughter could spend her last moments together. The giant agrees because hey free labor and goes off to drink or something. Then the women make a fake daughter and the mother offers it to giant. The giant eats and either doesn't realize he got the wrong food so goes away peacefully or gets poisoned.

The Lawgiver

We all know what happens to alien spies.
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes American lore can get kinda odd. There is a storm drain system in New Jersey called "the gates of hell". No clue if any of the shit people used to talk about being inside there in the 2000s is even in there anymore but there used to be ritualistic type shit surrounding a certain hallway in it actually being a secret hell portal guarded by a funny little ghost man with red eyes. There allegedly used to be axes and shit hung on the walls the deeper you went. Nowadays you'll probably at most find a crazy hobo unless the gang/cultist activity is still a thing years after people were talking about it. There's shitloads of videos of people walking through it on youtube from the last decade or so, and since nobody found the axe rooms or saw the funny ghost man that stopped people from going to hell I'm very certain whatever was in there is probably long since gone. People still clearly go in there judging by the amount of fucking graffiti throughout it, though.

Less actual mythology/lore themed here but there is an aspect to it. Same state, too.
There's some unsolved mystery type shit surrounding a very small stretch of road in a town in NJ. The area was nicknamed "demon's alley" but the real street name is "new city village". The main thing here is like a bunch of houses suddenly went vacant, people suspect either mafia, an unconvicted serial killer, or cultists were behind it. The buildings were eventually demolished, but while they were still up people made some fucking creepy ass folklore about the place being inhabited by literal demons.

Rezza

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure why but as I was reading this I thought she would use these to bake a fake daughter. Like she would ask the giant if he allowed her to kill, butcher and cook her daughter so she and her daughter could spend her last moments together. The giant agrees because hey free labor and goes off to drink or something. Then the women make a fake daughter and the mother offers it to giant. The giant eats and either doesn't realize he got the wrong food so goes away peacefully or gets poisoned.
I feel like I've read a story that goes like this. Not this one, but definitely similar.
Let me check...

Zebedee

Lives under beds, feeding on fanta stains.
kiwifarms.net
There’s a shit tonne in the UK, so I’ll share some of the old school local ones that nobody nowadays would even know about:

Meg Shelton
Known as the ‘hag of Fylde’, the supposed witch is now interred in St Anne’s Church, Woodplumpton, with a boulder placed on top of her grave and her body placed face down, so if she tried to dig herself up, she’d be going the wrong way.

Alternatively, it is believed she was buried head down in a narrow shaft, which accounts for the boulder, which is quite small.

Meg Shelton died in 1705, after she was crushed between a barrel and a wall supposedly in her own cottage, but according to rumours, she was a witch who could use magic to make crops fail, cause cattle to fall ill and milk to turn sour.

However, in the 1920s, a young boy said he had seen a woman in “funny clothes” wandering the graveyard, believed to be the ghost of Meg.

Her real name is recorded by St Anne’s Church as Margery Hilton.

In hindsight, it is odd for a supposed witch to be buried on consecrated grounds - witches were usually buried at a crossroad with no signposts, so they could not find their way home - or their bodies were burned.

The Boggart

Although boggarts are mentioned in the popular book, Harry Potter, these harmless shape shifters are quite different from the boggarts that originate in English folklore.

Boggarts bear a similar resemblance to the better known German ‘Poltergeist’ (noisy ghost), and tend to be malevolent and spiteful

They tend to be household spirits or they inhabit fields, marshes and topographical features.

The boggart will follow it’s family wherever they flee, and strip bed sheets, cause things to disappear, and dogs to go lame.

In worst cases, they would kidnap children.

Hanging a horseshoe on the door of a house or leaving a pile of salt was said to keep them away.

In Lancashire, a skittish horse was said to have ‘took boggarts’ - in other words, to have been frightened by a usually invisible boggart.

A piece of folkshore regarding a Lancashire boggart was published in 1861 - an elderly couple said that a boggart was buried at a close by bend in the road, alongside a cockerel with a stake driven through it.

Despite this, it continued to cause trouble, banging doors and laughing loudly.

The next morning, cloven hoofprints were seen outside the house, and in the night the wife had looked out to see three candles burning, casting blue light, and a creature with red eyes.

The elderly man said never to name the boggart, and that he would never go near its supposed grave.

No-one truly knows what a boggart looks like.

There is a Boggart Bridge in Burnley, Lancashire, where tradition says that whoever crosses the bridge must give a living thing to the boggart or forfeit his or her soul.

———

Decided to copy/paste them, since their versions are better than the one about the Boggart that I know of.

fat venus

we have been hurt and aboundoned in the past
kiwifarms.net
The bear, ancestral relative of humans, was born in the heavens, from the seven stars of Great Bear (big dipper) and lowered down in a basked weaved from silver and gold. That's why hunting the bear must be carefully done, with a feast thrown in the fallen creatures honour, sometimes he'd even get a ceremonial wedding. After that, the skull is placed on the branches of a sacred pine, so the soul may return to the stars again.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Näcken, also appears in other northern germanic mythology. He's a handsome naked dude playing violin near streams and brooks, luring people in and drowning them. He's really the devil in disguise. Another music based mythological being is [translated] "the elegant from the expanse". During the summer he sometimes shows up late at night, drunk as fuck, and play gender rock. He is actually alcohol and obscenity taken human form.

Dr. Ricearoni

🥝koom river🥝
kiwifarms.net
I always thought wendigos were interesting. They're delusional, greedy monsters who consume endlessly for the mere sake of consuming. They'll consume anything, they just keep getting bigger and their gaping maw knows only to consume. And the best part? They're real. They exist among us even today.
You+must+login+to+view+this+comment+_958426450df4fc846cfc0e0a4c91dfe6.jpg
byzk4c7xr2d51.jpg

Taylor Swift's Ghostwrite

2016 Oppression Olympics Bronze Medalist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mexican parents/grandparents will frequently tell children if they act up or do something they don't want them to the Cucuy will get them. It is essentially a boogeyman figure, there are some stories about it's origins being that it was a man who beat his children to death and was cursed and now hunts for naughty children to punish. However, the things that can get a Cucuy to come for you range from actually bad shit to minor things that adults just don't want to explain to children why they don't want them to do it.

It was also to memory never actually described so you were left with your imagination to come up with what exactly it looked like.

Amber the Hedgehog

kiwifarms.net
Näcken, also appears in other northern germanic mythology. He's a handsome naked dude playing violin near streams and brooks, luring people in and drowning them. He's really the devil in disguise. Another music based mythological being is [translated] "the elegant from the expanse". During the summer he sometimes shows up late at night, drunk as fuck, and play gender rock. He is actually alcohol and obscenity taken human form.
Näkki as he is know in Finnish is not only an excellent violin player but also an amazing teacher. If you want lear to play violin from him go to a rocky shore at night during a strom with a violin. Find a large rock surrounded by water and start to play. Soon enough Näkki will raise from water and come to you with a large leather belt. Loop the belt around both you and Näkki will teach you but be careful. Soon as he thinks you have learned enough he will try drow you so be smart. Loop the belt, he refuses to teach without that, but don't bugle it right so when he goes to water you can detach yourself fast. Also the songs that Näkki teaches can be traps too. He can teach you a song that you can't stop playing until either the violin breaks or you and dancers around you die from exhaustion.

TheRedChair

Ultimate Chaos, Ultimate Confort.
kiwifarms.net
Power level a little bit. In the 90's I was assigned to be a body guard to an old Miwok Indian Biker in the late 90's. He claimed to be a Shaman and all of that stuff. My job was to make sure that he had his Starbucks fix and listen to his stories. He road a yellow Shovel Head Sportster that he bought when it was new.

There was several good ones, stories that he told but the one that stuck came from the Navajos. The Skin Walkers.

And they were bad fucking news, so being a Shaman and supposing to stave off evil spirits he was supposed to be aware of those things as Skin Walkers know no bounds.

I think certain stories on mythology are based on mental illness and at that time all they can come up with was "Evil" spirits to explain a persons weird and/or strange actions/reactions in his community.

As I am typing this it does bring up some difficult memories about this man's life. In the 70's he was someone who was important in his tribe but as he got older and modern day life took hold ,he became less and less important in life.

When he was unable to ride his motorcycle I was told not to look out after him and that was especially hard on me... It was then I saw from the outside the evil known as "family" take away everything that was of worth and put him away somewhere.

And just like that he was gone. I never saw him again.

It's one of those things I think of. I made sure that my long term care insurance is up to date. So I can die at my home in peace than alone in some state assisted care home.

But still. That fear is still there, the fear of losing everything, which is no different than when I was homeless.

The modern day Evil's I worry about... because they are very real. in this modern day society...

and mythology overall is not.