World Navy Secretary Richard Spencer fired over handling of Eddie Gallagher's SEAL trident -

• The End of Proving Grounds: (Thread) (Update) (Last Call in PG)
    I've enabled GIF avatars across the site again. Don't make me regret this.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Navy Secretary Richard Spencer fired over handling of Eddie Gallagher's SEAL trident
JEFF SCHOGOL

November 24, 2019 at 05:06 PM
NEWS
https://taskandpurpose.com/richard-spencer-fired-gallagher-trident

Defense Secretary Mark Esper has fired Navy Secretary Richard Spencer and ordered that Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher keep his trident, a Pentagon spokesman confirmed on Sunday.

"Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper has asked for the resignation of Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer after losing trust and confidence in him regarding his lack of candor over conversations with the White House involving the handling of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher," Chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement.

Esper has also ended the Navy's plans to hold a review board, which would recommend to the head of Naval Special Warfare Command whether to revoke Gallagher's SEAL trident, Hoffman said.

"Secretary Esper's position with regard to UCMJ [Uniform Code of Military Justice], disciplinary, and fitness for duty actions has always been that the process should be allowed to play itself out objectively and deliberately, in fairness to all parties," Hoffman said in the statement. "However, at this point, given the events of the last few days, Secretary Esper has directed that Gallagher retain his Trident pin."

The move is the final defeat for the Navy, which had tried to kick Gallagher out of the elite SEAL community after Gallagher was acquitted of murder.
"You can never predict what happens next in this case," Gallagher's attorney Timothy Parlatore said on Sunday.

The Washington Post first reported that Esper asked Spencer to step down after learning that Spencer promised White House officials that Navy SEAL Chief Eddie Gallagher would retire with his SEAL trident if they did not interfere with his review board.

"I am deeply troubled by this conduct shown by a senior DOD official," Esper said in a statement. "Unfortunately, as a result I have determined that Secretary Spencer no longer has my confidence to continue in his position. I wish Richard well."

Statement of DOD Spokesman Jonathan Hoffman
"Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper has asked for the resignation of Secretary of the Navy Richard Spencer after losing trust and confidence in him regarding his lack of candor over conversations with the White House involving the handling of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher.
After Secretary Esper and Chairman Milley spoke with the Commander in Chief on Friday regarding the case of Gallagher, Secretary Esper learned that Secretary Spencer had previously and privately proposed to the White House – contrary to Spencer's public position – to restore Gallagher's rank and allow him to retire with his Trident pin. When recently asked by Secretary Esper, Secretary Spencer confirmed that despite multiple conversations on the Gallagher matter, Secretary Esper was never informed by Secretary Spencer of his private proposal.
Secretary Esper's position with regard to UCMJ, disciplinary, and fitness for duty actions has always been that the process should be allowed to play itself out objectively and deliberately, in fairness to all parties. However, at this point, given the events of the last few days, Secretary Esper has directed that Gallagher retain his Trident pin. Secretary Esper will meet with Navy Undersecretary (now Acting Secretary) Thomas Modley and the Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Michael Gilday on Monday morning to discuss the way ahead.
"I am deeply troubled by this conduct shown by a senior DOD official." said Secretary Esper. "Unfortunately, as a result I have determined that Secretary Spencer no longer has my confidence to continue in his position. I wish Richard well."

Secretary Esper has proposed to the President that Ambassador Kenneth Braithwaite, current U.S. Ambassador to Norway and a retired Navy Rear Admiral, be considered as the next Secretary of the Navy."

Last edited by a moderator:

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
Yes, how dare he not keep his Navy stocked with gleeful cosplaying murderers.
While true, the navy also cant do shenanigans with a direct order from the President. Soldiers get dumb orders all the time but unless somebody is gonna die or expensive equipment lost because of them you just grit your teeth and salute. And in the case of a Presidential order probably not even that is enough.

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
While true, the navy also cant do shenanigans with a direct order from the President. Soldiers get dumb orders all the time but unless somebody is gonna die or expensive equipment lost because of them you just grit your teeth and salute. And in the case of a Presidential order probably not even that is enough.
Someone did die, a couple people, actually. And letting him get away with it will ultimately lead to even more deaths as it comes to be viewed as more acceptable to target civilians wantonly. Not even the vet community is pro-Gallager, while divided a plurality want him kicked out. He is not a popular figure and for good reason. The President picked a bum horse, again, and fuck him for it.

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
Why fire him? degradation to the lowest level and a turn or to in the middle east will do...

Someone did die, a couple people, actually. And letting him get away with it will ultimately lead to even more deaths as it comes to be viewed as more acceptable to target civilians wantonly.
Civilians? you mean TERRORISTS...

Not even the vet community is pro-Gallager, while divided a plurality want him kicked out. He is not a popular figure and for good reason. The President picked a bum horse, again, and fuck him for it.
Taking away rank and trident from a warhero for posing with a dead terrorist is popular with Vets?

Maybe all those Stupid Rules are the Reason why the US didnt win in the Middle east...

Just bomb a village if there was an ambush. just break some noses if the locals arent welcoming enough. cant win a war without breaking the enemie...

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
No, I don't.
Yeah, totaly normal people living in the islamic state.
Totaly normal peopel gathering inside of a militairy camp.
Totaly normal people wearing cloth very usefull to hide weapons.

Those people are Evil Supporters of Terrorism. they are the enemie of all free people and he should get a promotion for doing so.

Iraq should not have their own government, they should be under occupation with hard reeducation measures.
The Hijab should be outlawed, and there should be Deislamisation trials...
Everyone who voices sympathy for ISIS or the old Iraqi state should be in a labor camp.

Thats how you win a war.
putting warheroes on bogus trials will not change anything.

The Last Stand

Just enjoying the holiday snow.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow, I read this and thought: Richard Spencer is in the Navy? I suppose it would've made sense. He should've been fired for his name alone.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

SEALs are rough men. Gallagher is a rough man. War is a rough business.

Not saying Gallagher was perfect, but the Navy was just being vindictive in trying to take away Chief Gallagher's trident. That's typical of today's "political" admirals and generals. President Trump did the right thing here.

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
Someone did die, a couple people, actually. And letting him get away with it will ultimately lead to even more deaths as it comes to be viewed as more acceptable to target civilians wantonly. Not even the vet community is pro-Gallager, while divided a plurality want him kicked out. He is not a popular figure and for good reason. The President picked a bum horse, again, and fuck him for it.
Letting him get away with... the crime that somebody else confessed to?

That is a strange proposition. "Bob killed a man! We should make sure Lou doesn't get away with it!"

oldTireWater

Incompetent as fuck
kiwifarms.net
Since when did the belief we win wars by not killing terrorists become acceptable doctrine? Are they even aware what non-uniformed insurgents do to captured prisoners?
The first a straw man, and the second is not a good argument for like behavior.

If an individual wants a necklace of ears then they should go be a freelancer. If they're serving in the US military, then their actions must support the greater mission to the extent possible. Allowing our enemies to say "look what the Americans do" to boost recruiting or harden resistance does more harm to our efforts than being selective, restrained, and possibly allowing combatants to escape a fight. Stacking bodies is not the way to win most insurgencies. And shit like this can echo for years.

From FM 3-24 (Counterinsurgency):
A defection is better than a surrender, a surrender better than a capture, and a capture better than a kill.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino