NBA 2k21's Next Gen Launch Price May Hint At a Price Jump - Take 2 is getting Greedy

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/2/2...ions-70-dollars-next-gen-price-increase-games
https://archive.vn/ExyDK
2K Games has announced that it’ll sell the next-gen PS5 and Xbox Series X versions of the upcoming NBA 2K21 for $69.99, a $10 increase to the current-gen Xbox One and PS4 versions of the game. And it’s the first indication that the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 may be bringing a price increase from the standard $60 that major video games have been sold at for years when they arrive this fall.

Most video games have been sold at a $60 price since the “seventh-gen” console era of the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3, and the Nintendo Wii, which was a $10 price increase from the $50 standard that had preceded it. But if NBA 2K21 is any indication, that $60 era is about to be over: assuming other game studios follow 2K Games’ lead here, the PS5 and Xbox Series X could see $70 games become the new norm for AAA titles.

Jokes on them. I don't buy games anyways unless they're on sale. This is bullshit. Take 2 did this because they know people will buy their games regardless. Its simple greed. Fuck Em. I've got hundreds of titles in my backlog to play if publishers gonna raise prices. I'll opt out of Gen 9 and stick with my old systems and PC.

White Devil

Well I may be a monster, but you're gay.
kiwifarms.net
People forget that back in the day that cartridge prices were all over the place and some even went for $80 at retail.

Not that I think it's a good thing, I already think $60 is too high, but it's not somewhere we haven't been before.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Whoever keeps buying this boring garbage deserves to get fucked by the prices.
Its mostly basketball americans.

People forget that back in the day that cartridge prices were all over the place and some even went for $80 at retail.

Not that I think it's a good thing, I already think $60 is too high, but it's not somewhere we haven't been before.
I agree, but a third of those cost were eaten up by making cartridges.

Dick Pooman

Muchacho Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck, I remember when PC games were $10 cheaper because of the lack of console licencing fees. Then Activision fucked us over when they got greedy with whatever version of Call of Duty came out that year and it's been that way ever since.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck off. The shitty games coming out right now are not worth $60 to begin with.
Huh, that made me realize something now that Tencent is getting more aggressive with the game development. China is probably gonna undercut them on cost. A lot of Steam games made in China are already pretty cheap and look pretty impressive for the price. @Null did in fact warn us, but we didn't listen.

Mage

Servant of the Pharaoh.
kiwifarms.net
If this trend continues, we'll be at 80 dollars a pop by 2030.

Thiletonomics

SEMEN CING
kiwifarms.net
I do wonder if they'll keep the same microtransactions that they have in the current NBA games. Just because. Oh wait, they'll do just that!

Like how Bethseda started the DLC rush with the horse armor.

And Valve did the same with Loot Boxes and Battle Passes. Albeit, IIRC, it was actually the Asians that implemented Loot Boxes first, with things such as various Gachapon systems in games like MapleStory.

If this trend continues, we'll be at 80 dollars a pop by 2030.

I'd say games would reach $100 by that time.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Please no, that's too fucking high and will only insure I'll probably almost never buy a game new as I assume for most people it'd the same, they'd be fucking stupid to do this and would lose more money in the long run than they'd make from that extra 10$

60$ is already high enough, it never should have gone above 50$.

The Last Stand

Null's homie
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

They didn't have microtransactions in them.

Even with Smart Delivery, companies find a way to screw the consumer. And people STILL buy this.

How much you want to bet the "current gen" 2K21 will just be a copy and paste of last year's 2K? Or the year before?

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The NBA games are afflicted with this trading card pack DLC Gatcha bullshit.

Not only that their online servers get taken down and discontinued the most.

The fees for official SPORTS TEAM SANCTIONED games are also why they engage in such bullshit customer price gouging practices. You can't make a Blitz game or any type of arcade sports game because the licences are fucking expensive(and you would still be competing with Madden and other tried and true franchises) and an unofficial game like Mutant League and the like would not sell because people want to play as their team. And yeah have an unofficial game does hurt sales for any type of sports game. Like that will fucking kill around 60-80% of the sales right from the start because the official teams matter that much.

To put it bluntly what they pay to have the official NBA/NFL teams appear in the game, even before they start development. Is already more money than what 95% of games use in their entirety. So yes they will cut corners because they have to keep all the other costs down.

The genre is fucking stagnant, the only recent sports game that showed some originality was Rocket League.

If you want good sports games get anything from the Genesis, N64, and Dreamcast. After that was when they ruined everything.

Last edited: