Need recs on new "gaming" headset -

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
got any suggestions for wired headphones that are durable and in the price range of $50 - $70 (if it's cheaper, that's even better)
Get something cheap from logitech and save up for quality. Unless you score a sweet clearance deal your cans should cost a minimum of 150$. Anything less and you're significantly lowering quality and longevity. Headphones are one of those things where spending more up front actually costs less over the long run. Unless you discover you're an audiophile with money to burn never spend more than 600-700$ on your cans as that's well past diminishing returns.

Grand Fucktard

kiwifarms.net
They're expensive, but I really like the Sony WH-1000XM4 (RTings review).
  • Best noise isolation you can buy
  • Wireless w/ multi-device support, which means you can pair with, say, your computer as well as your phone and it'll automatically play sound from the device that's putting out sound
  • Comes with a modular 3.5mm cable you can use instead of Bluetooth, so you can bypass Bluetooth latency when you want
  • Built-in mic that's okay but certainly not amazing
  • Sound is somewhat inferior to some "studio" headphones of a comparable price, so if your primary use case is listening to music in a quiet environment then you may prefer something else. Most of what I listen to is spoken word, though, so they're ideal.
There's also a chance that in about a week Apple will announce some headphones that'd fit your bill.

Thnks!
is the competing bose product any better in the mic department?

fromt he online stuff, the mics on the Sony sound, well, abysmal

again, not look for telefunken sound, but I don't want to annoy anyone.

the music mute feature seems cool (not the talk mute o much as the gesture mute) and wearer sensor -- but does it send A PAUSE signal, or just a mute signal?
(matters for audiobooks, podcasts and such)

Grand Fucktard

kiwifarms.net
wouldn't that be crazy expensive? and you'd need surgery no ?

"bone phones" (bone conduction) is pretty old stuff

the coros bike helmets (at least the last gen) were using that

there used to be "bone fone" as a brand. They made this sort of collar thing you'd put around your neck like a boxer's towel that used the clavical IIRC (it was they 70s)

Reactions: 3119967d0c

fuckidunno

kiwifarms.net
Gaming headsets are a meme. What gives you superior audio quality and saves you money is buying some cheap(er) studio quality headsets, like the Sennheiser HD-280s ($100) and then affixing a modmic uni ($50) or a modmic 3 ($70).

For $150-170 you can have a stellar experience without being memed by the pricing on retard "gamer" shit.

wouldn't work for him though "I walk around while using"
Modmic do make a wireless, but that's like $100 and then more connection stuff
Sounds like he's just using gaming as that kind of to describe how he's using it, features, general level of sound quality, etc
He said he was using the G series from Logitech and I can see the benefit -- the mic stows nice and cleanly on those and they have decent passive iso. The sound isn't anything to write home about but servicable. A big downside is those damn dongles. I think they are OK for the money, not a super awesome value, but OK.
with all the zoom stuff happening, I wonder if waiting for the next gen to roll out or if there's going to be an expanded market for videoconf headphones. As meetings get longer people do pace more and more in my experience
does plantronics maybe make something???
but then again, that stuff tends to be more straight conference related so the sound is more for that stuff and the features you get are like better encryption/anti-bluejacking type tech.

Last edited:

malt ipecac

kiwifarms.net
Thnks!
is the competing bose product any better in the mic department?

fromt he online stuff, the mics on the Sony sound, well, abysmal

again, not look for telefunken sound, but I don't want to annoy anyone.

the music mute feature seems cool (not the talk mute o much as the gesture mute) and wearer sensor -- but does it send A PAUSE signal, or just a mute signal?
(matters for audiobooks, podcasts and such)
It's a pause. No idea about the Bose QuietComforts, so I'd say look at RTings or something.
Edit - I was curious and looked it up myself. Looks similar enough.

On the mic: Yeah, it's abysmal compared to a decent, discrete microphone. But if you're actually on, like, a phone call, then your output is always going to be compressed and you won't sound any worse than if you were talking on a regular telephone.

The mic sounds a lot worse when you're listening to some YouTuber demo it by quickly switching from their regular $1,000+ mic. Then a lot of the perceived difference is contrast.

"bone phones" (bone conduction) is pretty old stuff

the coros bike helmets (at least the last gen) were using that

there used to be "bone fone" as a brand. They made this sort of collar thing you'd put around your neck like a boxer's towel that used the clavical IIRC (it was they 70s)
Yeah but the bone conduction headphones you can buy today will still leak sound. The advantage is that you can keep your ears totally clear & open while listening.

If you wanted an MGS-style solution that's effectively silent to those around you (i.e., no leakage), then you'd probably need something exotic because they'd have to be really close to your eardrums.

Last edited:
It's a pause. No idea about the Bose QuietComforts, so I'd say look at RTings or something.
Edit - I was curious and looked it up myself. Looks similar enough.

On the mic: Yeah, it's abysmal compared to a decent, discrete microphone. But if you're actually on, like, a phone call, then your output is always going to be compressed and you won't sound any worse than if you were talking on a regular telephone.
[/QUOTE]

FWIW I tried the sony one IRL and it's really amazingly bad. I can see it for a honey, pick up some bread type phonecall but not for an hour long video conference
It's that bad I would wayyy rather even just use a cell phone. It's not just somedetail that'll get washed out by lossy compression but something fucked up with the pickup pattern maybe getting really ugly array based phase cancellation or something
I don't know if it's the mic array trying to balance out to find the voice or ambient noise cancelling strategies or what, but it's that bad.
I can say for certain, but I think they may just tried to get too fancy with the mic array

I haven't used the bose so I don't know about that one

malt ipecac

kiwifarms.net
FWIW I tried the sony one IRL and it's really amazingly bad. I can see it for a honey, pick up some bread type phonecall but not for an hour long video conference
It's that bad I would wayyy rather even just use a cell phone. It's not just somedetail that'll get washed out by lossy compression but something fucked up with the pickup pattern maybe getting really ugly array based phase cancellation or something
I don't know if it's the mic array trying to balance out to find the voice or ambient noise cancelling strategies or what, but it's that bad.
I can say for certain, but I think they may just tried to get too fancy with the mic array

I can't really tell much difference between the mic on my WH1000-XM4 and my AirPods Pro. You don't see many complaints about the AirPods Pro's sound output, though. My hunch is that the difference is that people test the WH1000-XM4 in high-bitrate applications like Discord while they just use the AirPods for phone calls.

I guess if you really want to sound good and have the mic connected to your headset then you need something with a little boom sticking out of an earcup. But then you just like an outsourced call center worker or something.

Looney Troons

DRINK?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As many others have plainly put it, “gaming@ headsets are a marketing ploy targeted toward people (gamers) who would rather be fed an all-in-one package as opposed to doing research and finding what best works for them. In modern times, it usually also means looking incredibly dumb by having weird RGB accents and uncomfortable design. Let’s also not forget that every “gamer” device you own has to have some dubious cloud functionality within a proprietary application you need installed to get the most of it. That being said, I’m drawn to this garbage like a moth to a flame.

To get it out of the way, the Bose QC headphones are great if you’re on the move. I love my Bose QC35s, and they are, without question, the most comfortable set of headphones I’ve owned. However, like ALL Bose headphones, there is an over emphasis on lower frequencies and like most mass-produced consumer headphones, are very bass-heavy. Sound quality isn’t terrible, but you pay the premium for the name, noise cancellation technology, and construction quality. Best usage of these headphones, I found, was when I was traveling and was held up in busy airports. I wouldn’t recommend them for gaming for the lack of overall sound fidelity and the poor integrated microphone.

Astro A50 - Trash. Stupid, uncomfortable design - no RGB though (positive). Terrible application. HORRENDOUS charging cradle that requires the Midas touch to get the headset to actually charge. Shit microphone. Sound is OK, but you wouldn’t want these in your head for more than five minutes unless you like pressure/tension headaches - very tinny, but surprisingly lively. Were they more comfortable, I’d revere them higher. I also shit you not when I mention how bad the charging cradle is.

Logitech G933 - Ugh. Better than the A50, but only because you don’t have to deal with the charging cradle. Mired further by a hideous design that rivals those weird and cheap Chinese headsets you’d find peppered all over Amazon that have thousands of totally legit reviews. Logitech G software is leagues better than Astro Command Center, but that’s not saying much. Sound gets a pass as you’ve a bit more control with the G software and get a digital EQ. Microphone is overly sensitive and hisses. Slightly more comfortable than the A50s, but in my usage, I found them to run kind of hot, and the material of the ear cups when damp isn’t especially pleasant.

SteelSeries Arctis Pro w/ GameDAC (wired) - In my opinion, this is the best “gaming” headset on the market right now. Even with the RGB accents, I find the design minimal and attractive - the least gaudy set of cans I’ve listed (other than the QC35s). Supremely comfortable, I really like the headband and how breathable these phones are. I can wear them hours on end and forget that I even have them on. With a fair bit of tweaking, the microphone sounds pretty good; no complaints of hiss, and it was reported that sound isolation was fair enough in that the clicks and clacks of my keyboard weren’t being picked up. Sound is good. The included GameDAC makes a world of difference. Being able to switch EQ settings on the fly is welcomed, and having the ability to isolate game audio from other voice channels is great if using the headset for communication. Biggest complaint as far as sound goes is probably the lack of depth when listening to music. A common test I issue with all pairs of headphones is We’re In This Together by Nine Inch Nails, and it just sounds flat on this set. It shines everywhere else.

Tl;dr - I’ve spent tons of money on overpriced gamer jank and would only recommend the SteelSeries Arctis Pro for reasons that would be most important to you as a gamer, comfort. You’re way better off buying a real set of cans, DAC/AMP, and a good microphone. It’s a good investment that will last you many, many years if cared for.

• Informative
Reactions: Toolbox

The 8 of Spades

Kiwi Farms' Friendly Local SALVATION™ Salesman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bought a Corsair headset recently. Audio sounds kind of muddy, high ranges get washed out really badly in all the bass, mic pickup is decent. Waiting to see how long it takes to just crap out. Would not really recommend.

After the bullshit that was the HyperX headset and now this Corsair headset I'm just gonna find a decent "audiophile" set of headphones and get a mic. It'll be more expensive but it won't, you know, SUCK.

Which Corsair model did you get? I've been pretty happy with mine so far except for a little jiggle in the volume knob sometimes.

The 8 of Spades

Kiwi Farms' Friendly Local SALVATION™ Salesman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
HS35.

Sprang for it because it was on sale for less than 40 bucks. Figured it'd be an inexpensive mistake at worst.

Ah ok. I have a pair of the non RGB Void models that I got as a gift and don't have a ton of experience with Corsair's equipment so was interested.

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

bear halloween
kiwifarms.net
Ah ok. I have a pair of the non RGB Void models that I got as a gift and don't have a ton of experience with Corsair's equipment so was interested.
Might see if I can DL a software mixer for Mint - might just need to be tweaked a bit there. It's not bad, just not really great at the moment and mildly regretting not just sitting on the money to get some Sennheisers or something.

• Informative
Reactions: The 8 of Spades
I guess if you really want to sound good and have the mic connected to your headset then you need something with a little boom sticking out of an earcup. But then you just like an outsourced call center worker or something.
Why would that make you like call center workers? you mean like their equipment? I think a lot of those guys use plantronics which are pretty strictly conference headsets, often monaural and they tend to be heavy up ard 1000hz for voice intelligibility.

i think he may be OK with that b/c he said he was using the logitech stuff

As many others have plainly put it, “gaming@ headsets are a marketing ploy targeted toward people (gamers) who would rather be fed an all-in-one package as opposed to doing research and finding what best works for them. In modern times, it usually also means looking incredibly dumb by having weird RGB accents and uncomfortable design. Let’s also not forget that every “gamer” device you own has to have some dubious cloud functionality within a proprietary application you need installed to get the most of it. That being said, I’m drawn to this garbage like a moth to a flame.

To get it out of the way, the Bose QC headphones are great if you’re on the move. I love my Bose QC35s, and they are, without question, the most comfortable set of headphones I’ve owned. However, like ALL Bose headphones, there is an over emphasis on lower frequencies and like most mass-produced consumer headphones, are very bass-heavy. Sound quality isn’t terrible, but you pay the premium for the name, noise cancellation technology, and construction quality. Best usage of these headphones, I found, was when I was traveling and was held up in busy airports. I wouldn’t recommend them for gaming for the lack of overall sound fidelity and the poor integrated microphone.
I think people are getting all hung up on saying gaming.. I've used a lot of mice labelled gaming mice because of the extra keys , it's a style holdover from the 16-key summa pucks.. Like you know how CAD mice often have a 3rd mouse button off the scrollwheel that's.

yeah, bose tends to be pretty skewed, they EQ the poop out of their drivers which is why they have such a bad name with some folks.
I can't speak to their mics (array)?

Last edited:

Grand Fucktard

kiwifarms.net
LOL, "gaming" seem to have really thrown a wrench in the works. I definitely regret opening up that can of worms & it's why I used quotes -- using it as a shorthand for general feature set, guess it wound-up people enough where they didn't even look at the req specs.
I've been using a boom mic for a few years now on vid conf and it hasn't been a problem, it's a video conference - we're already dorks doing a video conference anyway. I don't need a fashion statement, I don't have leggings or a fixie bike I listen to my Briann Wu signature ipod on.
The little stowable booms were nice b/c you could pull them out for conf but then when litening to audiobooks, YT, casual music (not audiophle listening) they aren't sticking out getting in the way
I can see the point of the cloud apps, but I don't ever load that stuff.. the logitechs worked just fine with just the default driver loading.
The logitechs were fine, ok. Nothing special but reasonable sounding workhorses. Since I have to replace it, I was just looking for maybe a jump up in quality along those same lines (it's why I used "gaming" in the first place)

but hey, I do appreciate the heads ups on various options from everyone.

malt ipecac

kiwifarms.net
Why would that make you like call center workers? you mean like their equipment? I think a lot of those guys use plantronics which are pretty strictly conference headsets, often monaural and they tend to be heavy up ard 1000hz for voice intelligibility.
Yep, that's what I was referring to. We all have our ideas about what certain clothes/accessories connote. If you ask me, an on-ear headset with a boom mic is the pièce de résistance of your standard NASA-chic outfit. Pairs well with a white short-sleeved Oxford shirt and tie that's at once too wide and too short.

I think people are getting all hung up on saying gaming.. I've used a lot of mice labelled gaming mice because of the extra keys , it's a style holdover from the 16-key summa pucks.. Like you know how CAD mice often have a 3rd mouse button off the scrollwheel that's.
The thing makes me buy "gaming" mice is the polling rate. For whatever reason, "office mouse" means "125 Hz polling rate", and goddamn that feels shitty even on a 60 Hz monitor.

Yep, that's what I was referring to. We all have our ideas about what certain clothes/accessories connote. If you ask me, an on-ear headset with a boom mic is the pièce de résistance of your standard NASA-chic outfit. Pairs well with a white short-sleeved Oxford shirt and tie that's at once too wide and too short.

The thing makes me buy "gaming" mice is the polling rate. For whatever reason, "office mouse" means "125 Hz polling rate", and goddamn that feels shitty even on a 60 Hz monitor.
hehe - flight control and call center seems a lot different to me though. Call center guys are guys witha "studies" degree or burnouts.
flight control guys are at console that's all wired.
it sounds like he's been teleconferencing pre-rona. so he's prob already dialed and he's not in the beatbag scene. The wife T/Cs and she says pretty much everyone is on headsets for her stuff, so I don't think it has that stigma in a lot of professions. Sounds like he's anti the other stigma against beatbags

,polling rate doesn't do anything for me at all, but they are the ones with the buttons, that's kind of the hangup with "gaming" for you it means something for me it means something else for GF it means a third thing. but it does narrow the field - I pretty much can't find an "office mouse" with the extra buttons (the cad mice just usually have the 3rd button separate from the scrollwheel) and sometimes things like multiple DPI scaling so "gaming mouse" narrows it for me
Sounds like that's how he' using it is more home a gamer does had a boom a lot of times

Last edited:

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I get up and walk around a lot in meetings - I'm sort of a pacer
Hmm. It sounds like what you really need is either a rolling desk, or a standing desk and a treadmill or stationary bike. That way you can pace and use quality wired headphones and a proper microphone mounted on an arm on your desk.

Grand Fucktard

kiwifarms.net
Hmm. It sounds like what you really need is either a rolling desk, or a standing desk and a treadmill or stationary bike. That way you can pace and use quality wired headphones and a proper microphone mounted on an arm on your desk.

I was going to mount it on my walker, but the doctor said it wouldn't fit with my viagra dispenser clamp

• Informative
Reactions: 3119967d0c

pqppqpqq

kiwifarms.net
In a similar situation, I've heard great things about the Samson SR850's.
Supposedly studio reference quality at the $50 price point, with none of the nickel and dime bullshit Sennheiser pulls at that range.
The SR850 doesn't have a removable cable though, which could be a problem if your wire gets caught in your chair and tugs against the cans (or damages the port).
Thankfully the SR850 is just a rebranded Superlux HD668B, which allows for a detachable cable at the same price point.
It's not female out though, so you can't plug in an aux cable into it but is like a mini aux chode sticking out of the cans.
You plug the extension cable supplied or can replace it with an even longer extension cable, they are supposed to be studio reference headphones so it should be a good representation of the soundscape as it was intended.
I'm thinking one of these and a modmic should run under $100, unless there is an even cheaper solution that gives better results.
Would be interested in hearing cheaper alternatives on an attachable mic for these headphones that doesn't sound awful.