Business Netflix, HBO and Cable Giants Are Coming for Password Cheats - Password resets and thumbprints are among the tactics being considered

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I don't want to pay for Netflix if it means I can't share with my mother and brothers. I already don't use it in lieu of Prime and torrented stuff.
They're trying to figure out how to rape their customers as badly as cable raped their customers for years. The problem is they have no leverage to do that.

MightyBiteySnake

DEPRESSED SNAKE DEPRESSED SNAKE
kiwifarms.net
Google and Apple have already phased out touch ID as a feature on their newest devices so I'd love to know how they're going to try to get people to sign in with fingerprint

• Informative
Reactions: frozenrunner

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
kiwifarms.net
Get a VPN and pirate everything. Most of the Hollywood stuff I still watch I'm hate-watching anyway at this point.

ah, of course kf can't go one thread without sperging out about "teh jooz" or "teh brown people".
Excuse me fellow Jew but it's impossible for goys to be racist against us Jews because Jews are more privileged than goys and racism=power+prejudice.

Last edited:

heathercho

Don't underestimate Razor-Blade Remi.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do they realize that password sharing is how many people pay for steaming in the first place? My sister who is university student has Netflix account only because she able to split the cost between friends. She likes Netflix well enough but if the option was full price or nothing she would opt for pirating the few original shows she actually interested and getting other things to watch completely legal means.
Do they realize something? Let me tell you : If the FCC... sees those videos... that you watched on the damn Internet... they could condemn your Netflix account, and we would have to stop sharing it...?

Bear Ass

BEARS!
kiwifarms.net
I'm amused that these execs genuinely believe they're losing 6 billion dollars in revenue. Many people share passwords because they aren't willing and don't want to pay for it, so there's no actual money being lost because it wasn't going to come in in the first place.

Reminds me of the time that one kid downloaded 30 songs off of Limewire and got sued for $650k.

break these cuffs

Blue Falcon Actual
kiwifarms.net
I'm amused that these execs genuinely believe they're losing 6 billion dollars in revenue. Many people share passwords because they aren't willing and don't want to pay for it, so there's no actual money being lost because it wasn't going to come in in the first place.

Reminds me of the time that one kid downloaded 30 songs off of Limewire and got sued for $650k.
It's a great way for them to justify to their board and investors why they're failing. It's not because they can't come up with anything compelling and original that doesn't flame out after a season or two and it's certainly not because of nostalgia overload now that original programming is the minority anymore. Nope, it's those dang dirty old pirates.

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm curious how they can state a lost revenue figure at all. If it hadn't been free, would it still have been watched? Impossible to know, impossible to determine revenue loss in any tangible, realistic way.

Don't give them money, ever. It encourages them.
Seems like it’s the same logic as the people who think piracy is the same as lost sales.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
kiwifarms.net
Good luck making it more of a pain in the ass than just typing something into a torrent client and streaming right from the torrent. The moment you start making paid services require all sorts of bullshit and nonsense is when even the people currently paying for it tell you to go fuck yourself and start outright pirating.
This is why making petty theft a capital offense in England back in the day didn't stop theft.... if jaywalking gets you life, why not get your money's worth and kill your annoying neighbor while you're at it? They can't jail you for TWO lives, or execute you twice.

In for a penny, in for a pound....

I get that piracy costs money and in an ideal world wouldn't exist, but we don't inhabit an ideal world.

Draconian measures placed upon law-abiding people do not make lawbreakers shape up, the left and other authoritarian-minded institutions do not get this and never will.

Screw Danlon

The Truncated White Man
kiwifarms.net
So let me get this straight; it's totally legal to make VHS tapes of TV shows via recording them on a VCR and distributing them as long as it wasn't for profit, but it's illegal to create digital copies of TV shows for the same reasons?

Y'all know what this means boys..
It means we need to repeal the DMCA. And also roll copyright protections back to publish date + 20 years. And also nuke the MPAA & RIAA headquarters.

I think the real irony is we have the WWE who pushed away from PPV to a subscription service, because overall it actually made them money - people stopped splitting the cost of a PPV and just all had a subscription because $10 is cheap if you’ll use it a few hours a month. Meanwhile, all these other companies are trying to go back to 1:1 of payment to consumption. I think it will go poorly for them.

Also, that graph is absolute bullshit. You can’t start with partially complete annual data and draw a 5 year projection. Where’s the 2016 - 2018 data? Maybe those we all $1 million and now there’s a sudden spike because there’s more competition, worse programs and several boycotts of services.

...wait, where have I seen those same things causing piracy to be used as a scapegot? oh, right, in 2009 & 2010 when video game companies were claiming that their massively lower sales were caused by PC piracy, instead of the sudden indie boom, the dropoff in quality among the major studios, and a bad economy makig people buy less.

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
Get a VPN and pirate everything. Most of the Hollywood stuff I still watch I'm hate-watching anyway at this point.
I never stopped, mainly because I want to have a physical copy of what I watch. I'm surprised that they are seriously considering to implement fingerprint autentication. This reminds me when Microsoft launched Xbox One and its exceptional policies about DRM to keep gamers from lending their games to friends, and the Kinect constantly linstening to you.

break these cuffs

Blue Falcon Actual
kiwifarms.net
I'm curious how they can state a lost revenue figure at all. If it hadn't been free, would it still have been watched? Impossible to know, impossible to determine revenue loss in any tangible, realistic way.

Don't give them money, ever. It encourages them.
tl;dr Their options are lie to themselves and the industry or innovate. They choose the unprofitable lie.

It allows them to shirk their responsibility for underperforming and/or oversell themselves to their board, shareholders, advertisers, etc. They can sell their "actual numbers" are their real numbers plus the number of people stealing the content. They refuse to admit that the overwhelming majority would just go without rather than buy the content if they couldn't steal it because it weakens their position in every respect. Unless they're smart enough to recognize that they can monetize a sufficient amount of the pirates ala Steam or Netflix, but even those platforms eventually went to shit.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino