Netflix Originals are mostly bad - Is it just me?

Are all of them bad?

• Total voters

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If they have a Japanese name they're Japanese. You could argue that the Cowboy bebop crew are ambiguous- Faye could be white, Jet Black could be lightskinned black like others have said. Spike could be white or, I don't know, Greek or something. He's pretty olive-skinned.
I feel like in a lot of Japanese Anime the characters look white. This might just be my own Americanized influence coming through

wut

Wasn't the latest Daredevil the fifth most popular streaming thing period?
They basically allege it had a 50% viewer drop which is why the canceled it along with the other Marvel shows. They're basically lying. It was expensive to produce and the execs felt they can get more money from selling the rights back to Disney. Mark my words. This is how Netflix is going to raise some capital.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They basically allege it had a 50% viewer drop which is why the canceled it along with the other Marvel shows. They're basically lying. It was expensive to produce and the execs felt they can get more money from selling the rights back to Disney. Mark my words. This is how Netflix is going to raise some capital.
Disney execs hinted that they may pick the series back-up:
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a25615188/disney-streaming-service-could-save-marvel-netflix-daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist/

I really hope Daredevil comes back, that shit was consistently one of the better action shows on TV, and it's pretty much the definitive take on the Man Without Fear.

Samuel Belmont

It's like one of my Japanese animes.
kiwifarms.net
If it's based off of a book, is it still an Original?

I just finished Hold the Dark. I liked so much about this movie, especially the cinematics..Hold the Dark is gorgeous to look at. I like a movie that shows and doesn't lay it out for you with an exposition dump half way through. It does, however have that "dumped on Netflix" feel because it doesn't have star power. I would have liked to seen it on a big screen just for those landscape shots and the sound.
I have seen only one other movie by this director.. Green Room, also on Netflix. I liked this more because of the themes and nature of it. Green Room is more about the inevitably of death as a young person, Hold the Dark is more about the primal nature of humanity. How man is more like dog than god to put it simply.

Is it a true Netflix Original?

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
This might just be my own Americanized influence coming through
It's not, anime characters are generally designed to look white, including ones intended to be Japanese. Japan loves the look of westerners, to the point where some celebrities have undergone surgeries to look white. Anime and manga can appeal to that pretty easily. Sailor Moon is an good, if girly, example. All of the main characters are Japanese, but ignoring the rainbow-haired girls you still have three (including the titular character) with blonde hair and blue eyes, and a fourth with light brown hair and green eyes.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I've heard that. Same with China. China loves white people, to the point where companies will just basically pay a white dude to hang out in buisness lunches and shit to look more professional. I think its kinda funny that white people hate themselves while the East loves whites. Its like that Chinese Matt Damon movie. People were incensed "WHY IS MATT DAMON HERE". Uh, because China really likes white people and white celebrities. That's why ugly celebrities and black movies do shit over there. Chinese hate that shit.

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a25615188/disney-streaming-service-could-save-marvel-netflix-daredevil-luke-cage-iron-fist/

I really hope Daredevil comes back, that shit was consistently one of the better action shows on TV, and it's pretty much the definitive take on the Man Without Fear.
Fucking knew it. Netflix wants more capital and its easy to sell it to papa Disney.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fucking knew it. Netflix wants more capital and its easy to sell it to papa Disney.
Didn't they lose out on the options once they cancelled the series? I am pretty sure that is how it works. Especially since there are no overseas rights involved or anything like that.

Polyboros

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I've heard that. Same with China. China loves white people, to the point where companies will just basically pay a white dude to hang out in buisness lunches and shit to look more professional. I think its kinda funny that white people hate themselves while the East loves whites. Its like that Chinese Matt Damon movie. People were incensed "WHY IS MATT DAMON HERE". Uh, because China really likes white people and white celebrities. That's why ugly celebrities and black movies do shit over there. Chinese hate that shit.

They probably want to make more series where they can race swap characters, and Disney wouldn't let them do that with their toys.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net

The bland pasteurized Disney version wouldn't be worth it.

They probably want to make more series where they can race swap characters, and Disney wouldn't let them do that with their toys.
This is the same Disney with black Norse Gods and a black Mary Jane, right?

Old Wizard

is donning the attire of the archmage
kiwifarms.net
I was a fan of Dexter, Daredevil, and The Punisher to be honest. I struggle to think of other shows that I've seen that were Netflix originals.

Upon googling it turns out House of Cards was a Netflix Original, which was great (lol Kevin Spacey) , and so was Stranger Things. I've heard good things about Peaky Blinders even though I've never seen it.

I think the plot is hit or miss, not the execution. Sense8 is about psychic queerios having orgies and doing other dumb shit and Fuller House is a sequel to a sitcom, which never goes well. That's boring. Morally-dubious super heroes, moral serial killers, and evil politicians are interesting and cool, and Netflix does them justice as far as I've seen.

kobebyarlant

Straight Outta Side 2 Genders
kiwifarms.net
I really liked The Ritual and glad Netflix picked up the rights to it, because otherwise it would’ve slipped past me. It’s not great or groundbreaking like The VVitch, but it’s good at being exactly what it set out to be. I know horror movies aren’t supposed to be cozy by design, but this is the closest I’ve seen to a cozy horror movie.

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
If it's based off of a book, is it still an Original?

I just finished Hold the Dark. I liked so much about this movie, especially the cinematics..Hold the Dark is gorgeous to look at. I like a movie that shows and doesn't lay it out for you with an exposition dump half way through. It does, however have that "dumped on Netflix" feel because it doesn't have star power. I would have liked to seen it on a big screen just for those landscape shots and the sound.
I have seen only one other movie by this director.. Green Room, also on Netflix. I liked this more because of the themes and nature of it. Green Room is more about the inevitably of death as a young person, Hold the Dark is more about the primal nature of humanity. How man is more like dog than god to put it simply.

Is it a true Netflix Original?
I'm a big fan of the director Jeremy Saulnier, and sadly I thought it was pretty terrible. Well-directed and, for the most part, well-acted, but the script was a mess. Macon Blair, a friend and frequent collaborator with the director (he had a small role in HtD too) adapted the screenplay himself, and it was his first produced script as far as I can remember.
Doesn't exactly break the "Netflix original curse" IMO.

If you liked this and Green Room, though, check out Blue Ruin. It stars Macon Blair and is pretty great.

I was a fan of Dexter, Daredevil, and The Punisher to be honest. I struggle to think of other shows that I've seen that were Netflix originals.
Dexter was a Showtime show.

Samuel Belmont

It's like one of my Japanese animes.
kiwifarms.net
Would you recommend the book? There are rarely books to film that are fully captured for the screen. The cinematography and all those shots of the wilderness are gorgeous but not something I couldn't see in Planet Earth.
I would like to see Blue Ruin, of course.

No, it doesn't break the curse. Devilman: Crybaby broke out and so did Castlevania. I do want to see more from this director working with his own stories and maybe more from the writer.

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
Would you recommend the book? There are rarely books to film that are fully captured for the screen. The cinematography and all those shots of the wilderness are gorgeous but not something I couldn't see in Planet Earth.
I would like to see Blue Ruin, of course.
Haven't read the book. I was drawn to the movie solely because of the director. I tried to keep in mind that the script was an adaptation and that that might explain much of the awkwardness, but it just didn't work. It was a great-looking movie, though.

I'll have to check out Devilman: Crybaby.

Reactions: Samuel Belmont

Sakura Kinomoto

I have amazing taste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So you know that awful Sherlock Holmes movie with Will Ferrell that just came out? Well apparently Sony tried to sell the rights to Netflix after terrible test screenings and Netflix turned it down
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/netflix-holmes-and-watson/amp/
Seems like even the company that green lighted The Ridicules 6 has their limits.

Quijibo69

Lena Dunham
kiwifarms.net
What is the deal with these choose your own adventure things on Netflix? I wanted to watch the new Black Mirror episode for shits and giggles online but can't nor care to now.

Edit: Got a free month of Netflix just to watch this and Watership Down. The Black Mirror episode was pretty pointless.

Last edited:

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
What is the deal with these choose your own adventure things on Netflix? I wanted to watch the new Black Mirror episode for shits and giggles online but can't nor care to now.

Edit: Got a free month of Netflix just to watch this and Watership Down. The Black Mirror episode was pretty pointless.

It's a test run that came about after partnering with (and later aquiring bits of the deceased carcass of) telltale games, originally for the minecraft game they made . They have a few interactive things up right now, mostly kids shows which honestly it's the best use for that sorta thing, especially if they start doing PBS style edutainment

Edit: just did the episode and it was pretty neat, maybe if telltale used live action instead of a slowly rotting sphagetti code engine they wouldn't have gone bankrupt. I got the shitpost ending by trying to tell him what Netflix was.

Last edited:

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino