Netflix Originals are mostly bad - Is it just me?

Are all of them bad?

• Total voters

Strelok

Perfectly Cromulent Poster
kiwifarms.net
What is the deal with these choose your own adventure things on Netflix? I wanted to watch the new Black Mirror episode for shits and giggles online but can't nor care to now.

Edit: Got a free month of Netflix just to watch this and Watership Down. The Black Mirror episode was pretty pointless.

It's a test run that came about after partnering with (and later aquiring bits of the deceased carcass of) telltale games, originally for the minecraft game they made . They have a few interactive things up right now, mostly kids shows which honestly it's the best use for that sorta thing, especially if they start doing PBS style edutainment

Edit: just did the episode and it was pretty neat, maybe if telltale used live action instead of a slowly rotting sphagetti code engine they wouldn't have gone bankrupt. I got the shitpost ending by trying to tell him what Netflix was.

Last edited:

Polyboros

kiwifarms.net
It's a test run that came about after partnering with (and later aquiring bits of the deceased carcass of) telltale games, originally for the minecraft game they made . They have a few interactive things up right now, mostly kids shows which honestly it's the best use for that sorta thing, especially if they start doing PBS style edutainment

Edit: just did the episode and it was pretty neat, maybe if telltale used live action instead of a slowly rotting sphagetti code engine they wouldn't have gone bankrupt. I got the shitpost ending by trying to tell him what Netflix was.
Holy shit, when did this come out? Was it a surprise release, I hadn't heard anything about it, and I mostly love the Netflix seasons of Black Mirror.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
I cannot believe Netflix's claims that 45 million people dialed in to watch The Bird Box. I believe many of those people simply quit before or up to an hour of viewing time. Having seen it on the TV at some friends' house over the past weekend, I can only imagine that was the situation.

Really it is a not very good film, looking as if John Malkovich and Sandra Bullock had been convinced to star in someone's extracurricular college film project. The sound quality is noticeably off in some scenes to the point you expect a boom mic to bob in and out of the top of the frame at times. The cinematography, flat and uninspired, would be acceptable for an info-mercial at best.

The cheapness really shows in scenes such as one where the characters are screaming in a car and then a closeup shows the front bumper hitting a small, leafy branch which is supposed to represent the post-apocalyptic landscape. For an "original" from a company that's supposed to be a major player, this looks more like the sort of cheap direct-to-video movie that ends up gathering dust in the DVD racks at dollar stores.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I cannot believe Netflix's claims that 45 million people dialed in to watch The Bird Box. I believe many of those people simply quit before or up to an hour of viewing time. Having seen it on the TV at some friends' house over the past weekend, I can only imagine that was the situation.

Really it is a not very good film, looking as if John Malkovich and Sandra Bullock had been convinced to star in someone's extracurricular college film project. The sound quality is noticeably off in some scenes to the point you expect a boom mic to bob in and out of the top of the frame at times. The cinematography, flat and uninspired, would be acceptable for an info-mercial at best.

The cheapness really shows in scenes such as one where the characters are screaming in a car and then a closeup shows the front bumper hitting a small, leafy branch which is supposed to represent the post-apocalyptic landscape. For an "original" from a company that's supposed to be a major player, this looks more like the sort of cheap direct-to-video movie that ends up gathering dust in the DVD racks at dollar stores.
I even tell people who rave about Birdbox to me to watch A Quiet Place then come back to me.

That was a much better film of the same sort of concept.

Alto

Space Doggity
kiwifarms.net
I liked Bandersnatch. I would have preferred a new season of Black Mirror (preferably to see if it's an improvement over the pretty lackluster Season 4) but I enjoyed what I was given. One of the more meta endings is so batshit bonkers and so stupid that it's pretty hilarious.

A Useless Fish

A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.
kiwifarms.net
Carmen Sandiego is now a good guy who went to thief school and... you know what, fuck it. Watch the trailer.

Holy shit that looks dumb. Looks like the people behind this are willfully not getting the whole point of Carmen. Who the hell would this even be for? Is there a huge nostalgia market for some dumb kid's show that was used to teach geography? The re-characterisation of Carmen is giving me Maleficent vibes for some reason, which is not a good thing. Is this some idiots' attempt at getting woke with a hispanic lady villain?

Also, watched Bandersnatch last night. It was kind of fun at points, but ultimately disappointing, rather like the last full season of Black Mirror really. Choose your own adventure stuff gets really stale after awhile. I gave up after getting maybe five or six different endings. Had to re-tread just too much territory during the plot to make it that much fun.

DanteAlighieri

Anti authoritarian asshole asshole
kiwifarms.net
Bandersnatch was garbage, and it makes Black Mirror S4 look decent.

I think the only Original I'm looking forward to is Altered Carbon, and probably a few others that I can't remember at the moment but will jump on once I'm notified there's a new season of.

• Feels
Reactions: Deadwaste

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Carmen Sandiego is now a good guy who went to thief school and... you know what, fuck it. Watch the trailer.

Looks like an Erin Esurance TV series.

The animation looks straight out of those insurance commercials in the mid 2000s.
Fuck you. You may have said it first but at least I remembered the name.

Bandersnatch was garbage, and it makes Black Mirror S4 look decent.

I think the only Original I'm looking forward to is Altered Carbon, and probably a few others that I can't remember at the moment but will jump on once I'm notified there's a new season of.
Altered Carbon was good but pretty much every change to the books except for Rei's backstory made the thing make less sense. In particular it was one of those rare cases where token minority casting wasn't just an annoyance, it actually hurt the plot.
The fate of token black guy's daughter is an important clue in the book, because he wasn't a token black guy and the girl was white. A white woman that looked very much like the wife of the man who was murdered. Her instead being a fairly fugly black chick ruins the clue. Plus the dominatrix murder sequence was just lolworthy

Oh and of course they cut out all the anti-islam stuff that made such a huge impression on Kovacs' character because muh desert dindus.

Still a beautiful show with some great moments. And also creepy nude Dichen Lachman.

Last edited:

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I guess you could defend it in the way of the sort of Red Dragon way, where the guy looks really hot but the minor imperfection drove him completely insane. But that's not really what Jigsaw was about, it was about Frank completely fucking ruining his face.

I guess they went light on the Jigsaw because they didn't want people hating Frank. Which is kinda silly IMO

EDIT:
Knowing this is probably the last season for the Punisher, it makes me sort of sad they didn't just go full Slavers. But Slavers is a really special arc where its basically, "I haven't hated anyone like these people in a long time." Which basically causes him to go 'next level' and do shit you really don't see him do again.

Then again, turning on a camera, lighting a guy on fire and then speaking into it, "Don't come back here." Was one of the most bad ass moments in comics. Sad Marvel lost all their balls.

Last edited:

Polyboros

kiwifarms.net
I guess they went light on the Jigsaw because they didn't want people hating Frank. Which is kinda silly IMO
I guess that their just cheap faggots who know they're gonna cancel it after contracts are complete so they can put money towards franchises that'll let them color their characters what ever gets their soy filled cocks sucked off in-between Tyrones.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
But that's not really what Jigsaw was about, it was about Frank completely fucking ruining his face.
That's probably what irritated me the most. The last 10 minutes of the season 1 finale were dedicated to establishing how much Frank wrecked Jigsaw's face. Everything from the mirror scene that was really hard to stomach (that fucking scream man) to the dialogue in the hospital flat out saying that Jigsaw's face is basically irreparable. In the end though it just looked like he fell down some stairs badly.

What's sad is that I saw images of filming a few months ago that leaked for Jigsaw's face so this isn't exactly old news. I was hoping they'd do some post-production wizardry akin to Two-Face in The Dark Knight so I held off on criticizing it, but nope he still looks lame.

I'm still gonna see it because I liked Frank and Jigsaw's relationship last season and I'm hoping they can at least follow up on that.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino