Netflix Reportedly Developing Live Action Resident Evil Series

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Lucille Bluth

kiwifarms.net
It's not that games are better at telling stories than acted entertainment. What's happening is game developers have been learning the hard way—trial and error—for decades how best to tell a (certain type of story) effectively through their fledgling medium, and they're getting better at it. But storytelling in different, superficially similar mediums is so vastly different that directly comparing them is nearly meaningless. And those differences make adaptations from one medium to another very difficult to do well.

Honestly, every time I try to explain to my friends this is why the video game adaptations always end up sucking, they always say that "anything is possible". Sure that's true, and Maybe Detective Pikachu can change that but it will almost surely be the exception, not the rule.

I agree with everything you said. Video games can tell compelling stories and are so in depth in lore because they're video games. The appeal of the game is that you get to play and the story is effected by your decisions and have countless hours of content to do. You take that away and switch mediums and you immediately see the flaws and how paper thin video games can seem to appear in a different format.

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
Castlevania wasn't exactly high on the list of story heavy games but the adaptation was awesome.

Castlevania felt like a 13 year old with a fedora who just discovered atheism and the f-word wrote it. I couldn't stomach past the first episode of season 2.

If anything makes me defend the catholic church with its writing, then they're fucking up.

It was standard video game stuff. What made it bad was how convoluted the series lore had gotten by that point. RE (like all horror) works best when it's basic: mysterious monstrosities, a "haunted" mansion, an undead city in shambles, people trying to survive. By the time CV rolled around we had several different viruses, several different antagonists, not-so-convincing explanations for a lot of the series plot points, and you had to understand all of it to really understand the story of CV. It felt like a soap opera, and it was less effective as horror because of that.

CV was an okay Psycho knock off in the story department. I think it was trying more to flesh out some history of Umbrella and I prefer it over an effiminate boy singing to leeches if I go by memories of playing those two 15-ish years ago.

At least it had a pretty cool art direction and killer soundtrack. Love that Alexia battle theme and the save room theme is still the best song in the series.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Castlevania felt like a 13 year old with a fedora who just discovered atheism and the f-word wrote it. I couldn't stomach past the first episode of season 2.

If anything makes me defend the catholic church with its writing, then they're fucking up.
If the Catholic Church in the 15th century isn't portrayed as a bunch of assholes then it's being portrayed wrong.

JohnDoe

Kyle is free, and so am I! (Of clothes, that is.)
kiwifarms.net
Let the blackwashing begin!

‘Resident Evil’ Netflix Live-Action Series Sets Lance Reddick as Albert Wesker, Adds Five More to Cast

The “Resident Evil” live-action series at Netflix has set its main cast, with Lance Reddick set to star as Albert Wesker.

Along with Reddick, the series will also star Ella Balinska, Tamara Smart, Siena Agudong, Adeline Rudolph, and Paola Nuñez. Details on which characters the others will be playing are being kept under wraps.

“Resident Evil” was originally ordered at Netflix back in August. In the series, nearly three decades after the discovery of the T-virus, an outbreak reveals the Umbrella Corporation’s dark secrets. Netflix has given the one-hour show an eight-episode order.

Reddick will be the first actor of color to portray Albert Wesker in the long history of the franchise. He is known for his starring roles on shows like “The Wire,” “Fringe,” and “Bosch,” as well as for his appearances in the “John Wick” film franchise. Reddick is also an accomplished voice actor, having lent his vocal stylings to multiple games in the “Destinty” franchise as well as others like “Horizon Zero Dawn” and “Horizon Forbidden West.”

Constantin Film, which produced the six-film franchise based on the games, will serve as the studio behind the series. Andrew Dabb serves as writer, executive producer, and showrunner, with Mary Leah Sutton also writing and executive producing. Robert Kulzer and Oliver Berben of Constantin Film will also executive produce, with Constantin Film CEO Martin Moszkowicz producing.

The first “Resident Evil” game was released in 1996. Since then, the game and the multiple new entries in the franchise have sold over 100 million copies worldwide. In addition, the film franchise has grossed over $1.2 billion worldwide. There are also “Resident Evil” animated films, comic books, novels, and theme park attractions. Netflix will also release the original anime series “Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness” in July.

Thats right, Netflix is planning to have this character:
1623432543706.png
1623432568061.png
1623432631511.png
1623432695625.png
1623432715962.png
1623432734756.png
1623432761807.png
1623432782673.png
1623432806830.png
1623432840072.png
1623432857040.png

Played by THIS ACTOR
1623432923502.png
1623432929980.png
1623432935378.png
1623432939516.png

Cool guy, good actor, but he's not Albert Wesker. Wesker is a WHITE man and this coal black buck is culturally appropriating the role.
I mean holy shit, the series has enough SJW talking points with the environmental angle and 'big capitalism weapon makers bad' that they wouldn't need to lean into anything else but they can't fucking help themselves. And of course they either A) Don't know that Wesker is a villain and just made him black because he has a lot of screentime or B) They are planning to make him a 'hero' by, I dunno, him planning to use BOWs to stop racism or something.

Just holy fuck, this is so retarded it hurts.

FrickinFrackinFruckin

kiwifarms.net

‘Resident Evil’ Netflix Live-Action Series Sets Lance Reddick as Albert Wesker, Adds Five More to Cast

View attachment 2253013View attachment 2253015View attachment 2253017View attachment 2253020View attachment 2253022View attachment 2253024View attachment 2253027View attachment 2253028View attachment 2253031View attachment 2253034View attachment 2253035

Played by THIS ACTOR
View attachment 2253037View attachment 2253038View attachment 2253039View attachment 2253040

Cool guy, good actor, but he's not Albert Wesker. Wesker is a WHITE man and this coal black buck is culturally appropriating the role.
I mean holy shit, the series has enough SJW talking points with the environmental angle and 'big capitalism weapon makers bad' that they wouldn't need to lean into anything else but they can't fucking help themselves. And of course they either A) Don't know that Wesker is a villain and just made him black because he has a lot of screentime or B) They are planning to make him a 'hero' by, I dunno, him planning to use BOWs to stop racism or something.

I'm surprised they are casting a black actor to play a bad guy at all!

Oats12345

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 2253013View attachment 2253015View attachment 2253017View attachment 2253020View attachment 2253022View attachment 2253024View attachment 2253027View attachment 2253028View attachment 2253031View attachment 2253034View attachment 2253035

Played by THIS ACTOR
View attachment 2253037View attachment 2253038View attachment 2253039View attachment 2253040

So they made the rich white guy into a black guy. The only question I have is will wesker still be a unforgivable bastard?

Desu Mountain

自閉症
kiwifarms.net
Here's the full cast.

Netflix-ResidentEvil-Show-Cast-RaceSwapped-2.jpg

As you can see, it's 100% diverse.

“In the first timeline, fourteen-year-old sisters Jade and Billie Wesker are moved to New Raccoon City. A manufactured, corporate town, forced on them right as adolescence is in full swing. But the more time they spend there, the more they come to realize that the town is more than it seems and their father (editor’s note: Albert Wesker, we presume!) may be concealing dark secrets. Secrets that could destroy the world. Cut to the second timeline, well over a decade into the future: there are less than fifteen million people left on Earth. And more than six billion monsters — people and animals infected with the T-virus. Jade, now thirty, struggles to survive in this New World, while the secrets from her past – about her sister, her father, and herself – continue to haunt her.”

Syaoran Li

Lord, I was born a ramblin' man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck Netflix.

You had one simple job: A Resident Evil adaptation that actually follows the basic plot of the games and doesn't have any psychic clones or "in-name only" RE characters.

It's not that hard, but they screwed it up anyway because Netflix is woke as fuck these days and haven't made a semi-decent live-action show since Marco Polo.

Romero also wrote Chris to be Native American and he and Jill were gonna be an item and they were always doing it

At least the whole "The Redfields are Injuns" was a semi-common part of RE fanon even back in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Not sure how that old fan theory came about but it was there in quite a few older fan works and fanon.

Maybe the S.D Perry novels started it? IDK.

Jill and Chris were commonly shipped as well, so it's still nowhere as egregious as Netflix's blackwashing and woke pandering or the massive trainwreck that is the Paul W.S. Anderson movies.