New 'Wizard of Oz' movie adaptation set at Warner Bros.' New Line - The film will be a fresh take on the classic tale

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Pickle Dick

smug gamer birb
kiwifarms.net
Article (archive)

-Start-

Wizard-of-Oz.jpg

A new adaptation of the classic children's novel "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" is heading to the big screen, Fox News can confirm.

L. Frank Baum's original novel was famously adapted to the screen for 1939's "The Wizard of Oz" starring Judy Garland.

The upcoming movie will be a fresh take on the novel -- which follows Dorothy and Toto after being swept away from their Kansas home in a cyclone.

The flick will be produced by New Line, which is owned by Warner Bros. The studio also owns the rights to the 1939 film. The crossover means that unlike other adaptations, the movie will be able to draw on famous elements like Dorothy's ruby slippers.

‘THE WIZARD OF OZ' SECRETS YOU PROBABLY HAVEN'T HEARD

Nicole Kassell ("Watchmen," "The Woodsman") is set to direct. Marc Platt will produce alongside Temple Hill's Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey.

"The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was originally published in 1900 and was so popular that Baum followed the novel with 13 sequels.

Darren Lemke wrote a previous draft of the screenplay, as did Neil Widener and Gavin James.

"I am incredibly honored to join Temple Hill and New Line in bringing this beloved classic to the screen," Kassell said. "While the 1939 musical is part of my DNA, I am exhilarated and humbled by the responsibility of re-imagining such a legendary tale."

BERT LAHR'S DAUGHTER SAYS 'THE WIZARD OF OZ' ACTOR WAS 'A SWEET HERMIT WHO DIDN'T TALK TOO MUCH'

She added: "The opportunity to examine the original themes—the quest for courage, love, wisdom and home— feels more timely and urgent than ever. These are profoundly iconic shoes to fill, and I am eager to dance alongside these heroes of my childhood as we pave a newly minted yellow brick road!"

Fox News has reached out to reps for Kassell and Warner Bros. for comment.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

1939's "Wizard of Oz" earned two Oscars for its music. The iconic tune "Over the Rainbow" earned an award as did the film's score.

The picture was also nominated for five other Oscars, including best picture. Frank Morgan and Billie Burke also starred.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER

"The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" has been deemed "America's greatest and best-loved homegrown fairytale" by the Library of Congress.

-End-

Don't worry guys, the movie's gonna fail like most of every other remake in existance.

i hope

The Lawgiver

THE LONGER THE ICON OF SIN IS ON EARTH THE STRONGE
kiwifarms.net
All these wizard of oz movies and nobody's made one that's a straight adaptation of the books yet. It's always based on or tied to the musical adaptation that changed the ending to "it was all a dream" in a weird bid to compete with the alice in wonderland movie. In the books Oz was literally just a fictional country like wakanda but 100 times more fucking insane because you had shit like an entire sub-country of midgets, and another of literally sentient ceramic people within Oz. There's also the whole deal with magic users and cyborgs or literal robots in some cases. Oz is fucking wild in terms of a potenial lore-well, and the only 2 movies I've seen that tap into that are original stories that don't actually adapt any books. One being return to Oz, and the other being "Oz the great and powerful". Both are intended as being part of the initial musical adaptation's timeline which goes back to my earlier statement about this shit.
(I think there were like made for tv cartoon adaptations of some of the books made by like an anime studio or some shit in like the 70s or something but I could be remembering that horribly wrong cause I've never actually looked into those.)

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If they can adapt the book(s) faithfully, then fine, but they're not going to do that. We're less than twenty years away from it being 100 years since film went to color, Warner Bros. is probably thinking they're running out of money thanks to 2020 and they want to do something special (or "special") for the movie's 100th anniversary. But no one is certain if cinemas are going to survive the decade at this point, so might as well hop to it.

I've honestly lost track of how many adaptations exist and I just don't care anymore. I'm just going to continue to watch the movie and read the books and be on my merry way.