Cosplay Nicole "Sheena" Duquette "Oum" - Slept her way into RoosterTeeth, directly caused the death of Monty Oum, and pissed away 250k

What type of Cow is Sheena?

• Cosplaycow

Votes: 47 13.7%
  • Careercow

Votes: 75 21.9%
  • Horrorcow

Votes: 221 64.4%

• Total voters

mongo

kiwifarms.net
The fandom expecting an answer from RT over this just bewilders me. It's blatantly clear what happened; after Monty's death Sheena and Shane had some idea that contradicted with Kerry and Miles, and RT went with the two guys whose job it had been for two seasons to write the show with Monty instead of his widow and a guy who was apparently being an enormous pain in the ass. It's kind of a no-brainer. If somebody'd shot John Lennon in 1968, I seriously doubt the Beatles would've just handed Yoko Ono the guitar. I really want everyone who thinks Sheena should've had a significant role in the show just because of her proximity to Monty to read all the Brian Herbert Dune prequels and try not to vomit.

Saney

Slayer of the Love-Shys
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kind of confused as to why Newville posted that rant now, given that he was apparently fired a few months ago. Any chance that Nicole put him up to it, or...?

kidsquid

pretty good, it doesn't seem
kiwifarms.net
Kind of confused as to why Newville posted that rant now, given that he was apparently fired a few months ago. Any chance that Nicole put him up to it, or...?
Fan speculation is it was likely brought on by the announcement of RWBY Chibi, which is a new venture that involves RWBY characters but is non-canon according to Rooster Teeth. Maybe Shane's mad that they've turned Monty's dream into silly little out-of-character sketches (even though RWBY is still going ahead, it's not like it's being replaced by RWBY Chibi).

TiredConlanger

kiwifarms.net
Fan speculation is it was likely brought on by the announcement of RWBY Chibi, which is a new venture that involves RWBY characters but is non-canon according to Rooster Teeth. Maybe Shane's mad that they've turned Monty's dream into silly little out-of-character sketches (even though RWBY is still going ahead, it's not like it's being replaced by RWBY Chibi).

Yeah, but :autism: and all, so they don't give a shit about how Chibi's just a cute little filler series between seasons.

Anyway, just going through some of that letter, it's fucking gold. He rambles about shit from 2007 and how he wanted to recreate fight scenes from Panzer Dragoon or something and there's links to his old animations, which are okay, but not fucking amazing. Certainly not good enough to act as self-important as he is acting. It's also really funny in the letter, because he goes on about Sheena being more professional than the people working on RWBY, despite all other evidence says she's a cosplayer who made one animation years ago. Sheena doesn't have any discipline, from the evidence thus far.

Newville also starts talking about a producer thinking Sheena had no place in the production and his letter makes it sound like he thinks she's this most important person to RWBY, in spite of there being extensive worldbuilding notes for the series. I've been following RT for several years and the first I heard of Sheena was this thread and the letter. Didn't even really hear of her when Monty died. Never heard of Newville outside of him being an animator.

MiloWuCollusion

kiwifarms.net
Like I said, I'm not a RWBY fan but is the series in risk of lose some creed because the existence of a gag series between seasons? The little I know about the series and the fanbase indicates that there are a lot of fans that are minors (to the point they put parental warnings when the new season got dark) and weevs that buy nendroids regularly.

kidsquid

kiwifarms.net
Like I said, I'm not a RWBY fan but is the series in risk of lose some creed because the existence of a gag series between seasons? The little I know about the series and the fanbase indicates that there are a lot of fans that are minors (to the point they put parental warnings when the new season got dark) and weevs that buy nendroids regularly.
Eh, the older fans who are into main RWBY won't watch Chibi if they don't like it. It's just daft skits that fans have actually already been like "What if x and y characters did z thing!", and this is Roosterteeth providing them with it. Either way, they're still going to make money out of it.

MiloWuCollusion

kiwifarms.net
Eh, the older fans who are into main RWBY won't watch Chibi if they don't like it. It's just daft skits that fans have actually already been like "What if x and y characters did z thing!", and this is Roosterteeth providing them with it. Either way, they're still going to make money out of it.

But that is what I'm trying to say, it affects the reputation of the series as a whole to even said "this is not what the author would have wanted"?

As you say RT would pretty surely win some money out of it and older fans that don't like it would just ignore it.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But that is what I'm trying to say, it affects the reputation of the series as a whole to even said "this is not what the author would have wanted"?

As you say RT would pretty surely win some money out of it and older fans that don't like it would just ignore it.
Eh, a lot of anime/manga has those little gag comics at the end of volumes(4komas, I think the name is) and fans usually love those. RWBY Chibi is essentially the same thing.

MiloWuCollusion

kiwifarms.net
I think I should made clear that are rethorical questions and I actually can not see anything wrong in having a Chibi Spin off.

I'm making. I mostly wanted to know if there is a genuine segment of fans mad for the spin off.

Fresh Grown Breasts

Your hand is staining my window.
kiwifarms.net

Really late to the party and :powerlevel: but I found the humility, kindness and class of this man absolutely outstanding. Not a shred of bitterness or judgement. In his shoes I'd be seething at his cunt of a sister-in-law but he's embraced her as his brothers choice in wife and handled the entire situation with aplomb. His words to Newville were kind and compassionate without being drawn in to the politics. What an amazing guy.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
RWBY chibi has largely come about as a kid-friendly series of shorts that are tide-overs because RWBY has its own, seperate fanbase from the "mainstream" of RT.

RWBY is, arguably, RT's most successful shows as it has had a wider impact on commercial media in a single season than Red Versus Blue achieved in ten. RWBY has an on-TV voiced version in Japan, a Manga coming, and massive amounts of merchandizable characters. It has achieved a universal appeal with families now turning up to conventions and RTX in their hundreds with their kids in tow dressed as characters from the show.

It's convinced both FULLSCREEN and RT itself to massively expand their animation arm and roll out new IPs in order to capture, hold, and gain more from this new mainstream audience which has sprung up.

Also means a lot of cash is flowing into the company, more than ever before. Cash that Sheena is "denied" according to Neville because... reasons.

kidsquid

kiwifarms.net
I just rewatched the RWBY volume 2 production diary and although I wasn't paying it 100% attention, I'm fairly sure that Shane doesn't even appear until the very end of the 4th video - and Sheena isn't mentioned at all.

upload_2016-5-19_22-27-7.png

Fairly interesting as I believe that's Shane front and center, if the first few google images are to be trusted. Surely it should be Monty (second from right at the front) there and not Shane?

Anyway, going to watch the production diary again and see if he even says anything.

EDIT:
Video 1: No Shane or Sheena mention or appearance
Video 2: Shane appears right at the end, no Sheena mention
Video 3: Shane appears at around the 4:30 mark, directing Nigri on how to do mocap (and god when he talks to the camera he looks awkward), and again at the 8:30 mark, talking about how the fight scenes are like video games button mashing (which makes sense, given that he says he hates scripted fight scenes), still no Sheena
Video 4: Shane appears but does not speak, and again, no Sheena

Last edited:

Ponderous Pillock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Miles and Kerry are on the right of Shane. Monty probably went for the chair to look all contemplative and thoughtful.

Doesn't surprise me if Sheena wasn't mentioned because, as endlessly mentioned by this thread and elswhere she actually had fuck all to do with production and was a sodding nuisance most of the time she went to the lot.

She introduced herself numerous times as "RWBY's Official Cosplayer" in spite of being told to knock it off, and also wanted to become a better animator and work on stuff at RT, but was like trying to teach a bucket of already set wallpaper paste. Which considering the chaotic nature of Seasons 1 and 2... that says something pretty damn big in my book.

keksz

Verified nobody
kiwifarms.net
So, in a very cold analysis of this story the guy sacrificed what was looking up to be a life of excellent professional and artistic achievement (one of the greatest successes a human can achieve, especially both at once) for what? A year or so fucking a mildly hot chick with nothing else to offer?

Let this be a lesson to all of us, even if our sad little tales are not on the same stakes- a woman with nothing but looks is nothing but trouble.

Maybe he was, unbeknownst to us madly in love with her, or thought he was. In this case the lesson is: don't throw away your life (literal or not) over love.

I really feel for the guy but this was his own undoing at some level. RIP.

Beef Thunderpants

kiwifarms.net
While it is a slightly shitty move taking his laptop off of him to back stuff up, I can also totally see why they did it because his animosity towards the whole company had been building for a while, and they obviously feared he would either wipe them, or outright smash up his computer when they told him he was fired.
What are the details of them taking his laptop? Standard policy is to lock people out of their accounts before you let them go, and most places frown upon people working off their local hard drive instead of the company server.

Elwood P. Dowd

kiwifarms.net
Why is it that some of the most fucked up shit on this site comes to my attention for the first time via guests necro-ing long dead threads? It seems to be as much a part of KF Culture as terms like "a-logging." Can't think of another site where this kind of thing happens.

Also: $3,700/month on her Patreon. For this:

Asides from those I'd love to post more vlog recordings of both my day-to-day Sheenanigans with Mr. Noodle as well as my conventures! You are a huge part of my life and how I'm able to continue doing what I love so I'd love nothing more than to share that with you.

Keep on creating and spreading positivity!

I'm honestly mystified. Cute but nothing special and apparently as dumb as a box of rocks. And she keeps her clothes on. Yet here we are.

Ponderous Pillock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What are the details of them taking his laptop? Standard policy is to lock people out of their accounts before you let them go, and most places frown upon people working off their local hard drive instead of the company server.

Basically he worked "the old way" as he'd joined RoosterTeeth a little bit before the official sell off to Fullscreen who steadily advised RT how to centralise and work far more efficiently compared to how they had done before, with plenty of work being taken home, or worked on in isolation before being collated or uploaded wherever they needed to. It's a very slow process but works well when there's only a few of you. By the time of the sell off to Fullscreen RWBY had been their unexpected runaway success making them a lot of money but sucking up resources to the point they couldn't do other things.

By 2015 Fullscreen had a better feel of RT and how the company ticked so began to refine it along the lines of other animation studios to up production ability.

This included expanding the animation arm enormously to the point the animation dept is now in its own separate building and had as many employees as RT did when it first moved to the movie lot, but this lead to changes that he wouldn't adapt to. Writing meetings, storyboard meetings, who's sole purpose is to interpret the sript so the animators don't have to junk pieces or demand hasty rewrites as we saw in S1 and S2, etc. Props had to go through the prop guys rather than be "quick and dirty" models used for single scenes in case they had to be used again.

Over and over he whined, and kept taking shit home to work on when that's just not really done. So they took his laptop to "update it" while actually taking all the files and locking him out.