Ninja makes Time's 'Most Influential People' list for 2019 - Apparently a Fortnite streamer is about as influential as POTUS or a Saudi Arabian prince

Wendy Carter

When I am still, it is as lifeless as Abigail.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Ninja makes Time's 'Most Influential People' list for 2019
By Andy Chalk 3 days ago
The Fortnite Streamer joins Mo Salah, Donald Trump, Pope Francis, and Taylor Swift on the year's top 100 list.

vDxuomFwuzjcDhNhixqKKQ-650-80.jpg

Fortnite streamer Tyler "Ninja" Blevins is what's known in the business as an "influencer." But he's more than just your average, run-of-the-mill guy on YouTube: According to Time, he stands with Brie Larson, The Rock, Nancy Pelosi, Jair Bolsonaro, Brett Kavanaugh, and the Pope as one of the world's 100 most influential people in 2019.
Ninja's two-paragraph profile was written by JuJu Smith-Schuster, a pro football player with the Pittsburgh Steelers who's also something of a Fortnite fan. In fact, he was part of the Drake/Ninja squad that crushed Twitch's viewer record last year.

617 people are talking about this

"I play in the NFL, so you’d think I wouldn’t be star-struck much. But last March, when I—along with Drake and Travis Scott—got in a Fortnite game with Ninja for the first time, I was at a complete loss for words!" the quite clearly star-struck Smith-Schuster wrote. "I was among the millions of people all across the world who had been watching Ninja (real name: Tyler Blevins) play Fortnite, the popular videogame, every day for months. He was the unquestioned best in the world at his craft, something I had so much respect for both as an athlete and as a fan. Now, he was single-handedly blending gaming and pop culture."
"I’ve been a huge video-game fanatic my whole life. But people have seen it as childish and a waste of time. Ninja was huge in building up the credibility of e-sports. At the end of the day, Ninja is an absolute legend, and someone to whom we owe a lot for making gaming what it is today."
It's a little hyperbolic, but it's also true. Ninja has been a pro gamer and streamer for years but his career took off when he began streaming Fortnite regularly in 2017, and since then he has gone extremely mainstream: He's appeared on Ellenand Jimmy Fallon, was chosen as a "cover athlete" for ESPN Magazine, and hosted his own New Year's Eve livestream from Times Square.

Not sure if it belongs in here or Gaming. Either way, Clown World didn't disappoint this time.

Xenomorph

This time wont you please... drive faster
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

KimCoppolaAficionado

The most underrated actor of the 21st century
kiwifarms.net

Not sure if it belongs in here or Gaming. Either way, Clown World didn't disappoint this time.
It belongs in the trash.
Regardless of whether or not you like Fortnite (I don't like it, because it combines like three of my least favorite things), you have to recognize a lot of prepubescents and adolescents do, and a professional Fortnite gamer who streams is going to be in a major position to get any message of his choice out to the youth. He deserves to be on that list exactly as much as Taylor Swift or any other pop fad does.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's strange about this being written now is that he actually hasn't been the most popular or relevant Fortnite streamer at all in 2019. His viewers and paid subs have declined sharply since his peak and he's been moving away from the game since the end of 2018.

Anonymus Fluhre

A book holds a house of gold.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember when Time used to be a pretty good magazine. It hasn't been that way for a good decade. In 2012 they had three million circulation, down to 2 million in 2017, apparently it only took three months to drop from 3.3 million down to 2 million in 2017. It's things like this makes you wonder if it's cause.

Edit: Reading through the 100 list, they have Brie Larson as listed in artists. How can they nominate a plank of wood is beyond me. Just shows you how out of touch they are.

crocodilian

K. K. K.an't Edit Posts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Regardless of whether or not you like Fortnite (I don't like it, because it combines like three of my least favorite things), you have to recognize a lot of prepubescents and adolescents do, and a professional Fortnite gamer who streams is going to be in a major position to get any message of his choice out to the youth. He deserves to be on that list exactly as much as Taylor Swift or any other pop fad does.

None of those entertainers deserve to be there. They're just talking heads pushing products. They haven't influenced anything other than various conglomerates' profitability, so sitting them next to actual influential figures like the president or the Dalai Lama is senseless.

Oh wait, the Dalai Lama isn't even fucking there. Instead you get Jane Walker, a fictitious character and cynical marketing ploy.