Does Nintendo have a bad fanbase

• Yes

Votes: 186 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 5.6%

• Total voters

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
They're going for a simultaneous world wide release for the sequel. But they've been reprinting the first game for awhile now.

You can get the PS4 version for 40 bucks brand new on Amazon. IIRC the switch version didn't sell as much as the PS4 one did worldwide, and those little cards are apparently more expensive to manufacture than a blu-ray.
The first game goes on sale on the switch shop for like 35 bucks. Just wait a while tbh.

It's like 10-15 gigs of space so have room in your mini sd card.
He kinda deserves it. Just looking at the gameplay, it is clear that he did not adjust at all to this game and he lacks knowledge of very basic mechanics. One of the big things people kept pointing out was how he did not collect wumpa, yet complained about speed. Wumpa is basically just the coins from MK8D, how did he miss it? There was also just a lack of using the boost mechanics as he went down straight paths as if it was MK8D. The game is hard, but it certainly is easier to grasp than he made it out to be. I never played a Crash racer prior to it, yet it took me a few hours in between days and I could start performing well.

IDK, I think he was to hard. The game is challenging, yes, but it is not unfair. There is no big end all item that can come swooping in at last second like in MK. The better you get, the more guaranteed a victory. I may be biased though as I did grind and actually managed to get all Platinum Relics in Adventure Mode and have beaten every non-Grand Prix Oxide time.

But Sonic’s kart racers are good, like really good. Ever since Sumo Digital took over, the Sonic racing games have been very high quality.

I honestly have more fun with Team Sonic Racing, than I do with Mario Kart. Granted, it definitely needs more content and characters, but the mechanics are way smoother and faster. I also think the sling-shot mechanics are fun to utilize.

I would also say that Team improved upon SAR’s Adventure Mode. SAR was great, but Adventure Mode was terrible at times. Sonic negates this by making requirements easier and by not having the terrible activities that plagued SAR. There are very few highway stages, thank God, and they removed the tank battles entirely. The new drift challenges are actually good fun and encourage skill.

Yeah, I like TSR. It does not match the heights of SAR as the course design is more static and has less flare, but the mechanics are still there.
I mean Mariokart, Sonic Kart, and Crash Kart are the only kart racers worthwhile rn. There's some other standard racers on the switch iirc like Horizon Zero Turbo (It's cheap as shit when there's a sale and has content) and Burnout.

I'd kill for Nintendo to bring back Excitebots and Excitetruck tbh. Grew up with those on the wii and logged more hours in Excitebots than I did Mariokart wii.

Thoughts on the non-first party 2-D/3-D platformers for the switch, as well as party games that aren't Smash or Karts?

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
I would disagree. Nintendo systems just have a middle death period. They start with a bang and end on a high note. I do not believe trust is being squandered as you are still getting many games upfront, most of which are the reason people bought the console. The first year or two typically has Mario Kart, Smash, a 3D Mario game, a Zelda, probably a Mario sport, and some lesser franchises like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade that play to more niche demographics. They also typically end strong. While the Wii kinda sat in 2009, 2010 was a great year with Zelda, Kirby’s Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong, Mario Galaxy 2, and Metroid. Even the 3DS has a decent end with 2017 having Metroid 2: Samus Returns and Fire Emblem Echoes.

I am not sure what else Nintendo can really do. The system is not perfect, but you still get a lot of great titles.
That's fair, and it certainly makes sense on paper.

I think the problem I have stems from me being done with the usual Nintendo sequels, and the new IPs don't interest me. Smash, Mario Kart, and the Zelda games do nothing for me. Nintendo has consistently shit the bed with Starfox and Metroid. Fire Emblem had those translation issues. Arms and Splatoon aren't interesting to me. Meanwhile, third party are generally sub par ports, or just shit.

That middle death might seem worse for me because I gave up. With the Wii I'd given up by the time Skyward Sword came out, and I done care for Zelda anyway. For the 3DS I had given up when they released the upgraded model and I read new games ran poorly on the old model. I never confirmed that because those games didn't interest me even if they ran perfectly well. (Again, more Zelda games)

The only late era 3DS game I wanted but never got was Metroid 2, though I was salty that Nintendo shut down a fan remake to make it happen. I still have the fan game downloaded somewhere.

I really don't understand why Nintendo insists on it's hardware being a gen behind. I'm not saying they have to pull a PS3 or Series X and make the most powerful system ever but it should alteast be on par with the standard of that generation.

The Wii U is kind of forgivable to me in that regard though given it launched a year prior to the PS4 and Xbone. * it's kinda like the Dreamcast in that regard *

The Wii and especially the Switch though have no excuse. At the least they should be as strong as the 360 and XbOne
Nintendo, unlike other companies, likes to make profit on hardware. They don't do the whole "loss leader" "let's make the money back on games" thing that other companies do. This has worked well for them since the GameBoy at least.

The 360 and PS3 were way more advanced than you'd expect at the time. The PS3 was notorious for being hard to work on, though I don't know how true that is. This also explains why PS4 and Xb1 were a minor upgrade.

Personally, I like Astral Chain so I wouldn’t mind it.
Now if we’re talking Ryza from Atelier Ryza, then you’d be onto something.

I tried finding a physical copy of her game on the NS, and almost all of them were supremely expensive :( Even the UK version, while not bad, is very rare to get.
I won't derail the thread, but scalpers and "the collectors market" could be the topic of their own thread, or at least a rant. Conflating a games rarity with the games quality. Driving up prices artificially. Putting "ultra RARE!!!" in every ebay listing.

This could easily be fixed if publishers did second print runs of niche games that sell well, and if they would re-release their old back catalogues like those old "Namco museum" or "Sega Mega Drive collection" packs they did back in the day.

I don't understand what the benefit is for publishers to enable scalpers. If Limited Run Games could sell 15,000 copies of a game, why only print 5,000 and have "collectors" and scalpers fight over them?

• Feels
Reactions: Aberforth

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net

I think the problem I have stems from me being done with the usual Nintendo sequels, and the new IPs don't interest me. Smash, Mario Kart, and the Zelda games do nothing for me. Nintendo has consistently shit the bed with Starfox and Metroid. Fire Emblem had those translation issues. Arms and Splatoon aren't interesting to me. Meanwhile, third party are generally sub par ports, or just shit.

That middle death might seem worse for me because I gave up. With the Wii I'd given up by the time Skyward Sword came out, and I done care for Zelda anyway. For the 3DS I had given up when they released the upgraded model and I read new games ran poorly on the old model. I never confirmed that because those games didn't interest me even if they ran perfectly well. (Again, more Zelda games)

The only late era 3DS game I wanted but never got was Metroid 2, though I was salty that Nintendo shut down a fan remake to make it happen. I still have the fan game downloaded somewhere.

Nintendo, unlike other companies, likes to make profit on hardware. They don't do the whole "loss leader" "let's make the money back on games" thing that other companies do. This has worked well for them since the GameBoy at least.

The 360 and PS3 were way more advanced than you'd expect at the time. The PS3 was notorious for being hard to work on, though I don't know how true that is. This also explains why PS4 and Xb1 were a minor upgrade.

I won't derail the thread, but scalpers and "the collectors market" could be the topic of their own thread, or at least a rant. Conflating a games rarity with the games quality. Driving up prices artificially. Putting "ultra RARE!!!" in every ebay listing.

This could easily be fixed if publishers did second print runs of niche games that sell well, and if they would re-release their old back catalogues like those old "Namco museum" or "Sega Mega Drive collection" packs they did back in the day.

I don't understand what the benefit is for publishers to enable scalpers. If Limited Run Games could sell 15,000 copies of a game, why only print 5,000 and have "collectors" and scalpers fight over them?
Honestly, I do agree with the collectors market being absolute bullshit right now, but that's mostly because I cannot get a copy of any of the SMT games for the 3ds used. They're all either wayyyy overpriced or out of stock. It's fucking funny because I bet as soon as this coronavirus shit winds down, that shit goes back to being 20 bucks a pop used on amazon again.

Anyways, the used games market is a coin toss. I see shit like people trying to sell their copy of Pokemon Sun for 40 bucks when you can get it for 12, used and in box with manual/art.

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
If you're getting a first print version of one of the 3DS SMT games, a higher price is kind of justified. Those often came with extras like a soundtrack, guidebook, or those pins Apocalypse had. If it's anything after the first print, the price is bullshit. Strange Journey Redux is the only one that didn't come with an extra.

Don't have many problems with later 3DS games on my 2013 era XL aside from fps drops in Pokemon Sun. Those were mostly tolerable. The Luigi's Mansion remake runs fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Judge Dredd

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
I'd kill for Nintendo to bring back Excitebots and Excitetruck tbh. Grew up with those on the wii and logged more hours in Excitebots than I did Mariokart wii.
They'd need to find a new dev. The studio that made the Wii games for them signed an exclusivity deal with NASCAR and has been solely making those games ever since (because they sell way better.)

As to the collector's market, yeah it shot up due to covid. But for all of the people complaining about high prices, specifically for Nintendo first party stuff, bear this in mind. Most of those games, when they go into a retro store and are marked at those prices will sell within a week or two. Most third party stuff will sit, sometimes for months or a year or more. If anything, physical stores should probably be charging above ebay for those types of impulse buys. I've slowly stopped retro game hunting anyway, scalpers destroyed all fun value. Left bids at auctions that are only ten dollars below ebay value, calling every yard sale in town the night before to pre-buy and then showing up at 6 in the morning to go through all of them (same for flea markets.) The thrill of the hunt is gone, I admit it you fuckers, you beat me, I lost.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
Nintendo has consistently shit the bed with Starfox and Metroid.
Star Fox and Metroid are weird, they are the sort of games that the Japanese devs should not be working on.

Retro did a fantastic job with Metroid when they created the Prime series. They made 4 great games in a row and brought Metroid back after Nintendo neglected it for years. After Prime 3, I think they deserved a break from the series and am happy that they moved onto Donkey Kong, a series with more similarities to Metroid than most people believe. Prior to Returns, DK was just a gimmick character and most of his world and cast got killed off as the Mario series slowly engulfed it. I am glad Retro gave him his own identity again, and even streamlined the cast to the most important players. I just wish a 3rd game happened so they can round out the trilogy, maybe bring K Rool back for a final showdown as the SnowMads felt like Retro adding character to their enemies to prepare for him. It would have also been nice for one more kong to appear, probably Tiny.

As of now it seems that Retro is back on Metroid. I wish Nintendo would invest more into the small studio as they are great at giving their lost franchises life.

On the topic of Star Fox, apparently Retro may have been working on a new entry prior to Prime 4. It was said that they wanted to make Star Fox into somewhat of a Diddy Kong Racing styled racer. I am honestly curious how that would work. It sounds good and I know Retro is talented enough to make it good. I hope we one day get to see it and have Retro take over Star Fox in addition to Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Also, if you are looking for a modern, good Star Fox game, than it sounds like StarLink is your best bet. The game is pretty much an open world space shooter and they included Star Fox in the Switch version.

I mean Mariokart, Sonic Kart, and Crash Kart are the only kart racers worthwhile rn. There's some other standard racers on the switch iirc like Horizon Zero Turbo (It's cheap as shit when there's a sale and has content) and Burnout.
I would agree, but it would be a little hypocritical as I am most likely going to buy Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2 this fall. It looks decent and it is nice that we get SpongeBob, Avatar, and Invader Zim characters playable. I just hope the game gets DLC, the absence of Jimmy Neutron is felt, and I would like to see Fairly Odd Parents, but that series apparently has legal issues that lock it to solely America. Also Zuko, Mr. Krabs, and Dib would be cool, just saying.

I remember this with Amiibo.
It is beneficial as it guarantees purchases. People have no time to think as at any moment that rare figure or whatever could be gone and you are stuck paying more. The system encourages impulse buying which is great for companies as they see faster returns.

Don't have many problems with later 3DS games on my 2013 era XL aside from fps drops in Pokemon Sun. Those were mostly tolerable. The Luigi's Mansion remake runs fine.
The New 3DS was really only used for Xenoblade and Warriors titles. Otherwise, it was pointless.

• Informative

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
LR has a reputation for undersupplying but it probably isn't deserved. A lot of their games can be had second hand for below MSRP, meaning that they either guessed demand accurately or over-estimated.

And if the cost is still too much... you can always buy digital. There's a reason I broke my "physical if possible" rule for Stardew Valley.

• Feels

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
For old times sake, may as well post this 03bgood classic
As well as a Clay Claymore video going more into the subject

Does anyone know where to find his video where he makes a super racist Nintendo Direct? I swear he had a video where he pretended to be Iwata and put on a stereotypical Asian impression and went “We at Nintendo are looking to update the virtual console.”

What is with some fans and virtual console? Just play the original system as they clearly have these games already. It makes no sense why they would buy an entirely new console just to play old games they already have.

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
For old times sake, may as well post this 03bgood classic
As well as a Clay Claymore video going more into the subject

Does anyone know where to find his video where he makes a super racist Nintendo Direct? I swear he had a video where he pretended to be Iwata and put on a stereotypical Asian impression and went “We at Nintendo are looking to update the virtual console.”

What is with some fans and virtual console? Just play the original system as they clearly have these games already. It makes no sense why they would buy an entirely new console just to play old games they already have.
I think an argument could be made for accessibility, although I guess if you wanted to, you could just hook up your TV/whatever to your PC and run an emulator with a gamepad? I think it's dumb as shit if Nintendo makes people re-buy virtual console stuff every generation tho.

Judge Dredd

Senior Layout Artist
kiwifarms.net
LR has a reputation for undersupplying but it probably isn't deserved. A lot of their games can be had second hand for below MSRP, meaning that they either guessed demand accurately or over-estimated.
In the age of crowd funding and pre-orders, there's no need to guess how popular a game will be. Put up a kickstarter, print slightly more than the number of people who pre-ordered.

I don't know if it's still the case that games are limited to one per person, chosen via lottery, leading to people using stupid work arounds to get multiple chances at the games. I remember that being standard practice, and I ignored the company ever since.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
In the age of crowd funding and pre-orders, there's no need to guess how popular a game will be. Put up a kickstarter, print slightly more than the number of people who pre-ordered.

I don't know if it's still the case that games are limited to one per person, chosen via lottery, leading to people using stupid work arounds to get multiple chances at the games. I remember that being standard practice, and I ignored the company ever since.
They've gotten better at it, their preorder windows are now months long in most instances. It's rare to have something sell out near instantly.

The real negative part is the shipping, you better tack on an extra 5-15 dollars depending on what you order. oversized shit can run you 30 bucks or more, especially if it's heavy.

Qajinima022

Sweets Lover
kiwifarms.net
I mostly just play games quietly and make lighthearted fan art, I'm glad I stopped playing Smash bros tbh. And I haven't seem the recent direct either keep in mind.

Last edited:

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
If you're getting a first print version of one of the 3DS SMT games, a higher price is kind of justified. Those often came with extras like a soundtrack, guidebook, or those pins Apocalypse had. If it's anything after the first print, the price is bullshit. Strange Journey Redux is the only one that didn't come with an extra.

No no I just want a physical copy of them. FFS.

I can pick up the extras individually on ebay or sth for a lot cheaper if I really wanted to. This is all bullshit.

Meanwhile, Project X Zone's limited first print version was sth I picked up for 25 bucks on amazon, unsealed. I also got the sequel in case for like 20 bucks. Codename Steam was begotten from a gamestop for like 3 bucks, sealed.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
No no I just want a physical copy of them. FFS.

I can pick up the extras individually on ebay or sth for a lot cheaper if I really wanted to. This is all bullshit.

Meanwhile, Project X Zone's limited first print version was sth I picked up for 25 bucks on amazon, unsealed. I also got the sequel in case for like 20 bucks. Codename Steam was begotten from a gamestop for like 3 bucks, sealed.
Speaking of Codename Steam, have you ever wondered if they'll be an sequel? Considering that I still see unsold copies in Wal-Mart?

Czargon the Red

kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Codename Steam, have you ever wondered if they'll be an sequel? Considering that I still see unsold copies in Wal-Mart?
they tried to push the game with Amiibo support and it still didn't do well. I think it's due to shit marketing.

Buy a copy, it's like 5 bucks for a decent game. It's basically the league of extraordinary gentlemen as a Teen Rated SRPG. If you have a fire emblem amiibo character, you can scan them into the game.

I think it's a candidate for a cult classic in a decade or so.

NerdShamer

kiwifarms.net
they tried to push the game with Amiibo support and it still didn't do well. I think it's due to shit marketing.

Buy a copy, it's like 5 bucks for a decent game. It's basically the league of extraordinary gentlemen as a Teen Rated SRPG. If you have a fire emblem amiibo character, you can scan them into the game.

I think it's a candidate for a cult classic in a decade or so.
Well, it tanked in Japan, which is usually a profit, if that's any indicator.

Tags
None