Nintendo Power - Nintendo's helpful Magazine

StoneKnightMan

EVIL HITLER WHORE
kiwifarms.net
Nintendo Power. the magazine that nintendo owned and distributed for its players. it started in 1988 and ended in 2012.
(First Issue)

today we have GameInformer, but back then, nintendo power was one of the best magazines for gamers.

they had alot of great stuff from it. there were strategy guides, posters, stickers, even comics too!

though, there were some weird shit as well, even really gross ads.

heres angry video game nerd's video talking about it

in 2012. it was unfortunatly discontinued. But then, it was revived and made into a podcast on soundcloud.

heres the link https://soundcloud.com/nintendopowerpodcast

Last edited:

The Shadow

The Shadow knows!
kiwifarms.net
I had a subscription to Nintendo Power at one point (around the time the GBA/Gamecube came out). They did have some neat exclusive stuff but their reviews always skewed towards "It's pretty good, you should buy it" being it was Nintendo's in-house rag.

GameInformer was pretty entertaining around the same time. I was always a GamePro and EGM guy, though.

Glad I couldn't help

Now with edge anime avatar
kiwifarms.net
I had a subscription to Nintendo Power at one point (around the time the GBA/Gamecube came out). They did have some neat exclusive stuff but their reviews always skewed towards "It's pretty good, you should buy it" being it was Nintendo's in-house rag.

GameInformer was pretty entertaining around the same time. I was always a GamePro and EGM guy, though.
My brother had a subscription for several years after getting a N64. I recall the only review that was really very negative was for Superman 64, I think it got a 4 or something.

Thinking about, it wouldn't surprise me that the rise of the "angry video game reviewer" in the early days of YouTube was a delayed response to the 7-9 scale of game reviews, channelling the negativity of video game boards.

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
NES and SNES era issues were absolutely based. Even when you consider it was a shilling conflict-of-interest rag, it still provided great maps and tips for areas that stuck with you, even if you didn't play the games until decades later.

Apparently Steve Jobs famously sent in regular high scores screenshots for Tetris under an alias that you can go back and check today, so it has some interesting credibility with the culture that way.

Martys_not_smarty

kiwifarms.net
NES and SNES era issues were absolutely based. Even when you consider it was a shilling conflict-of-interest rag, it still provided great maps and tips for areas that stuck with you, even if you didn't play the games until decades later.

Apparently Steve Jobs famously sent in regular high scores screenshots for Tetris under an alias that you can go back and check today, so it has some interesting credibility with the culture that way.
Aint that the truth anytime they'd do a list of the best games for their consoles surprise surprise thee-quarters of them would be first party games followed by Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III.

The Shadow

The Shadow knows!
kiwifarms.net

It was Steve Wozniak, not Steve Jobs.

ducktales4gameboy

git branch -d giant_boobs
kiwifarms.net
I really liked their comics and peripheral content in the early days.

There's a great bit in Console Wars about how weird and tightly knit the US branch of Nintendo was during the early days and the relationship between Gamemaster Howard and the Nintendo staff and how it resulted in Howard and Nester and the weird feel of early NP in general. For a brief period Nintendo's US office actually did operate in the weird sort of willy wonka-ish way that kids assumed it did, and the documentation from that era is fascinating.

• Informative
Reactions: Piss

MediocreMilt

Ooh good comeback... Moron
kiwifarms.net

If you really want to go there, wasn't GameInformer basically the GameStop magazine?

#GamerGatePrequelEdition

The Shadow

The Shadow knows!
kiwifarms.net
If you really want to go there, wasn't GameInformer basically the GameStop magazine?

#GamerGatePrequelEdition
It was FuncoLand's in-store mag that came with their discount card. They were pretty irreverent before GameStop came around and I recall an issue of theirs being the first to use "autistic" in a humorous way, referring to Adam Sandler as an "autistic funnyman".

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had an NP subscription back in the NES-SNES era, dropped off as the N64 became a thing.
I joined up during the "Subscribe and we'll unload an unsold Dragon Warrior cart" period.
Good stuff. Those old Howard and Nester comics were fun. Was there ever an ID on who did the Japanese ones?

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
While I moved on to the internet from magazines, I kind of want Nintendo Power to comeback on the digital format, less on reviews and ads but having fun features like they did back then but you can browse on the internet or on your Switch or 3DS.

Spooderman112

kiwifarms.net
Nintendo Power. the magazine that nintendo owned and distributed for its players. it started in 1988 and ended in 2012.
(First Issue)
View attachment 693609

today we have GameInformer, but back then, nintendo power was one of the best magazines for gamers.

they had alot of great stuff from it. there were strategy guides, posters, stickers, even comics too!

though, there were some weird shit as well, even really gross ads.

heres angry video game nerd's video talking about it

in 2012. it was unfortunatly discontinued. But then, it was revived and made into a podcast on soundcloud.

heres the link https://soundcloud.com/nintendopowerpodcast
What were the really gross ads?? Wot

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino