Nintendo Source code leak - source for games, DS emulator, prototypes and more -

LullerDerbyRollin

I have no mouth and I have only more to scream
kiwifarms.net
So with the news of the 64 dev tools being leaked, how could this effect emulation?

The N64 still has a lot of emulator compatibility issues with a lot of its games. A full accurate emulator could be great thing.
Short term? Nothing at all, long term. It depends on how usable they are. Cause even if you make something with it, an emulator is gonna need to be able to read and use it. These emulators are shells based off the N64, but they're not quite the N64. As for an emulator using what's been made, various reasons leave it unlikely. What's there might not even teach emulator makers (or the people that could break into it) anything they wouldn't know about the N64. Also, all of this stuff is Nintendo's own tech and tools, that we got illegally, I had heard Nintendo emulation is even more legally black for emulation, because early n64 emulation was made using leaks from IBM.

Fuck Y'all

local slav lawnjockey
kiwifarms.net
Short term? Nothing at all, long term. It depends on how usable they are. Cause even if you make something with it, an emulator is gonna need to be able to read and use it. These emulators are shells based off the N64, but they're not quite the N64. As for an emulator using what's been made, various reasons leave it unlikely. What's there might not even teach emulator makers (or the people that could break into it) anything they wouldn't know about the N64. Also, all of this stuff is Nintendo's own tech and tools, that we got illegally, I had heard Nintendo emulation is even more legally black for emulation, because early n64 emulation was made using leaks from IBM.
also, Nintendo's lawyers would buttrape emu devs for mere looking at code

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
So with the news of the 64 dev tools being leaked, how could this effect emulation?

The N64 still has a lot of emulator compatibility issues with a lot of its games. A full accurate emulator could be great thing.
Microcode documentation might possibly be helpful but Nintendo already HATES emulation and they would suddenly have some legal tools to push people around with.

Only if they have plans to release their own emulator.

So far, to me, only one site has been hit by the lawyers.
Are you thinking of UltraHLE?

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
Huh, which one?

UltraHLE was the first working N64 emulator, released in January of 1999. It could play Ocarina of Time in 1024x768 and that game was released just 3 months earlier. Nintendo was very upset.
Rom universe. It's actually a rom website and not an emulator, but you get what I mean.

• Agree
Reactions: AmarettoPie

doulomb

kiwifarms.net

Depends if they are internal shit or the regular dev kit stuff that people have been passing around in back rooms and such for decades. There are even a few American 64dd dev units floating around which are the rarest kind, which were used to kickstart DD emulation.

If we get the FPGA/HDL files for the chips, then we might see cycle accurate 64 on a chip in people's houses in the next 6 months. (Easy as just taking it to a Chinese silicon fabricator essentially). If we get a high level description of the hardware (like a design document and spec sheet) it will be very helpful but will take a dedicated group of experts to implement it.

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
The GBA leak has all the verilog files and the design itself includes the full GBC hardware so I expect perfect hardware replicas of those soon. I'd buy the shit out of a tiny GB that ran for days on a rechargable battery.

The biggest thing that nobody has commented on online outside of an even more insular forum I read is the bs-x development assets being in that leak. Essentially, we now have the source to the first Nintendo online service and may be able to play lost BBS Door-game-esque versions of Kirby, Zelda and Dragon Warrior for the first time in 25 years. This may extend to the ability to shitpost as Birdo in someone else's game of SMB2 if the stream protocol is documented as well. It's a fantastic time to be a classic Nintendo fan.

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
I know its unlikely, but I hope this eventually leads to the discovery of Paper Mario and Smash Bros tools and assets, and maybe even the beta version of Paper Mario Sticker Star which looked and worked nothing like the crappy final version.
Also imagine if someone found all the assets and tools for Breath of the Wild. The possibility for mods now is almost endless as long as people are careful with how they announce their projects.

I saw some on /v/ mention that the Discord channels handling the leaks got shut down. If that's true then maybe that's the cause of the slowdown. Especially with how many idiots on Twitter and elsewhere are bragging about how proud they are to be reporting everything to Big Brother Nintendo.
One I follow was set to read only for a day or two and two others are now over-run with retards who obviously know nothing and contribute even less with their presence (where is the Rare stuff, what if EB64 was complete, what is CP, etc.).

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If the leaks are only stuff related to the iQue console, why is there a bunch of SNES beta stuff, unused assets, and hi-res renders of box art, and other non-iQue stuff in the leak?
Its possible Nintendo wanted to expand their market in China with more retro stuff. Since China never got the SNES legally. Its possible the source code were on the same server for a project that fell through after the iQue didn't do the numbers Nintendo wanted. The GC and Wii only got released in China recently thanks to nVidia.

The GBA leak has all the verilog files and the design itself includes the full GBC hardware so I expect perfect hardware replicas of those soon. I'd buy the shit out of a tiny GB that ran for days on a rechargable battery.

The biggest thing that nobody has commented on online outside of an even more insular forum I read is the bs-x development assets being in that leak. Essentially, we now have the source to the first Nintendo online service and may be able to play lost BBS Door-game-esque versions of Kirby, Zelda and Dragon Warrior for the first time in 25 years. This may extend to the ability to shitpost as Birdo in someone else's game of SMB2 if the stream protocol is documented as well. It's a fantastic time to be a classic Nintendo fan.
We already have FPGA versions of the game boy family. IIRC they're very good. See the Mister project.

And Analogue wants to release a FPGA portable system, Analogue Pocket, that plays pretty much every major 8/16 bit portable console (Lynx,GB,GBC,GBA,NGPC,WS).

Borax Bozo

Here until I can finally rest.
kiwifarms.net
I wonder how specific the build and construction toolset is for a lot of this stuff. How much needs access to old SGI hardware for renders etc?

ducktales4gameboy

archive what you want to remember
kiwifarms.net
We already have FPGA versions of the game boy family. IIRC they're very good. See the Mister project.
And Analogue wants to release a FPGA portable system, Analogue Pocket, that plays pretty much every major 8/16 bit portable console (Lynx,GB,GBC,GBA,NGPC,WS).
Yeah, I just want one of the damn things to actually come out.

.. And as I google this to see if anything has actually happened on the Analogue Pocket front, I see they're opening preorders next week as announced yesterday. Hooray.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueSpark

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I just want one of the damn things to actually come out.

.. And as I google this to see if anything has actually happened on the Analogue Pocket front, I see they're opening preorders next week as announced yesterday. Hooray.
IIRC, the product is delayed until 2021. I assume this is because China is about to be buttfucked by mother nature and their own hubris. Probably not, most likely due to kungflu wrecking manufacturing all over.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I wonder how specific the build and construction toolset is for a lot of this stuff. How much needs access to old SGI hardware for renders etc?
For the N64 all of it will likely be SGI/Irix. If original models/scenes are found then PowerAnimator(only on Irix) is probably required*, Nintendo went hard on SGI but SoftImage was also popular at the time, SEGA went down that route and promoted it when they built their SDK. The Ocarina of Time renders is very poweranimator, there's that telltale slight desaturation that ups the greys, it can be seen in the Gran Turismo CG, the Tekken CG and so on. It's very distinct, an actual case of "I can tell by the pixels".

*I don't know if anyone have written a plugin to import that file format on modern platforms or if it is documented enough for that, but I think the first version of Maya(the successor to PA) had some cross compatibility with Maya. If so, that could then be imported and exported to FBX which is a standard format.

Tags
None