'No Stupid Questions' General -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

pierce your heart

Είναι κι αυτή μια στάσις. Νιώθεται.
kiwifarms.net
I left my computer for 15 minutes and when I came back it was displaying this
automatic-repair.jpg

Tried running some of the options, using the command prompt following some guides I saw online and restarting the computer but nothing worked. I decided I'll deal with it later, shut down the computer and disconnected my TV from it. When I tried starting it again I had the extra option of choosing a different operating system between windows 10 and windows 10 educational, I'm fairly certain I only ever installed one version of windows. I chose windows 10 educational and it started up fine. my question is what happened here? And is there anything I should do to ensure it doesn't happen again? The file D;\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt doesn't seem to exist so the message might have been different.
The only difference I can see thus far is that under "devices and drives" there are listed 2 "local disks" (C and F) and 2 "system reserved" (D and E) while before there was only 1 "system reserved" and the 2 disks

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
what's a light digital clock program that runs on win7? I have a "gadget" of an analog which isn't bad, especially how it can go semi-transparent, but I'd prefer rectangle digital over a round analog
I used to just leave time.gov open in a window but they made it all complicated and now it sucks

goodbudweiser

kiwifarms.net
Unrelated to the 'suggestions' one. my computer forces me to go through BIOS however I think I'm aware what the issues is. I didn't reset it properly. I have zero clue how to fix this. Should I try to reset again, this time doing it correctly?
Can include video/ pics.

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
what's a light digital clock program that runs on win7? I have a "gadget" of an analog which isn't bad, especially how it can go semi-transparent, but I'd prefer rectangle digital over a round analog
I used to just leave time.gov open in a window but they made it all complicated and now it sucks
Is `https://time.is/` any better?

Reactions: XYZpdq

Spedestrian

Sperg Doctor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want to configure part of my website to have some sort of bare link list like http://www.kiwifarms.net/archive but I have no idea what that's even called, nor how to configure an S3 account to do it for certain directories.
The feature is called directory listing, and from a cursory search it looks like there are tons of tools on Github that'll let you make one with your S3 bucket. Haven't used any of them, but they're out there for your perusal.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Weird. Did you mess up the boot order? If you have any USB storage devices plugged in, try taking them out and restart, or if there's a disc in the dvd-reader remove it. Unplug the second hard drive if nothing else works. Remove anything it might try and fail to boot from.
If any of that have an effect it's a boot order issue.

Or just find the boot order in the bios and take a look there, that's probably easier and faster.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Clock Talk 32 is an excellent option. You'll need to use 7-Zip or similar to open the installer and extract the files somewhere, but it works great after that. It doesn't have any fancy dependancies.
https://archive.org/details/CTLK3210_EXE
EDIT: Hamsin Clock is good too, similarly lightweight, few less features (but has transparency) but is freeware.
https://archive.org/details/hcl112_zip
Some time ago, I met a farmer and he had this kind of ziplock-style, transparent soft-plastic or vinyl pouch that he put his smartphone inside. It let him see and use the touchscreen of the phone while keeping the whole thing waterproof when he was out and about in the field. Then when he goes home for the day, all he has to do is unzip the pouch, take the phone out, and it's all clean and ready for use at home and overnight charging. The pouch had a built-in lanyard too, so he didn't have to worry about putting the whole phone/pouch in his pocket if he needed both hands all of a sudden.

It looked like a pretty handy accessory, and I was thinking of getting one, but I don't know what they are called!
Look to be a lot of these around- try 'phone dry bag' 'waterproof phone pouch' etc- I have no real knowledge as to good brands etc. A lot of the descriptions for these items at least imply the phone can be used within them.

Last edited:
Reactions: XYZpdq

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Regarding the phone thing you can just get some big gallon size ziplock freezer bags.

Shart

kiwifarms.net
Anyone here have experience setting up dnscrypt with Pi Hole? I have PH installed on a Debian VM on my network so I can take a snapshot and fuck around to my hearts content. There are instructions around but I can't seem to get it to work still.

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
How do I get Windows Defender to fuck off for just 5 minutes? It's killing my performance/fps. I've already set scheduled scans but that fucking antimalware service executable is still soaking up 20% of my CPU when I'm playing a game.

NOMYBITCASH

Becoming Brown - Scotland Edition
kiwifarms.net
I've bought a USB 3.0 to GBE adaptor and for some reason the download speed is very slow but the upload is fine on speedtests and torrents

any reason for this?

1581771437293.png

1581771467422.png

On wireless i get about 300/300 so wtf is going on lol

my machine is new enough but just doesnt have an ethernet port its a ryzen 3 laptop 8gb of ram ssd ect.

an kamel

kiwifarms.net
How do I get Windows Defender to fuck off for just 5 minutes? It's killing my performance/fps. I've already set scheduled scans but that fucking antimalware service executable is still soaking up 20% of my CPU when I'm playing a game.
you can try to turn off and disable the service in services.msc while you're playing a game you trust(if you are even allowed to turn that specific service off)

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
I've bought a USB 3.0 to GBE adaptor and for some reason the download speed is very slow but the upload is fine on speedtests and torrents

any reason for this?

View attachment 1145935

View attachment 1145936

On wireless i get about 300/300 so wtf is going on lol

my machine is new enough but just doesnt have an ethernet port its a ryzen 3 laptop 8gb of ram ssd ect.
Did you try using a different Ethernet cable?

Reactions: 3119967d0c

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
I installed Windows 10 on Wednesday and it died on me Friday morning. Totally unable to connect to internet in any way after it updated itself in the background.

I can't find a single Linux distro that just fucking works for my laptop, I tried 7 before I gave up and installed Windows 10.

What the fuck should I do?

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
How would I go about using dialup in 2020? Would I need a landline already providing service to my home? Is it more secure than broadband?

• Horrifying
Reactions: Tookie

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How would I go about using dialup in 2020? Would I need a landline already providing service to my home? Is it more secure than broadband?
You'll need a modem. This is a great option. You'll likely also need a USB-serial device. A landline will be necessary. It won't be more secure.

You'll also need to find a provider that isn't garbage. That might be more difficult. And you'll be using dialup.
I installed Windows 10 on Wednesday and it died on me Friday morning. Totally unable to connect to internet in any way after it updated itself in the background.

I can't find a single Linux distro that just fucking works for my laptop, I tried 7 before I gave up and installed Windows 10.

What the fuck should I do?
Dox your laptop model?

Reactions: Never Scored
Tags
None