'No Stupid Questions' General -

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
lol @ having a SIM hold a bunch of personal info that is encrypted but has a backdoor easily used by store personnel.
That's the reality of it, I did some work for a telco and if anyone of them, mostly sales people, forgot their work phone at home they just cloned their sim and put it in a phone laying around so they could take calls. Easy way to get around SMS based 2FA so of course crooks have been using that method.

ForgedBlades

Milled wedges.
kiwifarms.net
Anyone have experience with a pump going bad? I've got this Swiftech AIO that I've been using for about five years. The last couple days the system just refuses to pump water when I turn it on. The LED in the reservoir comes on so I can visually see that it's not moving coolant, and the PC boots into a CPU fan error. I spend about ten minutes fucking around with the header on the motherboard, taking it in and out, and eventually it starts pumping. Once I get it going, it's perfectly fine. I do have it hooked up to a PWM hub so all of the fans in the chassis are tied to the CPU temp, but even if I plug the pump directly into the motherboard it does the same shit.

I find it weird that the pump would decide to start working randomly. If it was shot, I would think that it would outright refuse to move liquid. Same with the header on the motherboard. Cable issue? Ghost? halp.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Arm Pit Cream

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are there any good privacy-respecting search engines left that still use a "database search" with booleans -- instead of this stupid "AI algorithm that looks for what it thinks you were really looking for" bullshit? One where if you enter something in quotes, it only returns exactly that phrase, if any? It's been mentioned plenty of times before that Google searches always bring up "related" stuff all the time when searching for anything now, but others like DuckDuckGo can be just as frustrating.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not really a stupid question just looking for advice, I inherited my Grandfather's old Late 2006 A1200 IMac a while back and it runs pretty well except for the graphics card which is on its last legs. I've done some digging myself and found out its relatively easy to replace the card but I want to know the newest and/or cheapest card that would work with the system no problems running windows as my budget for this project isn't the highest and working cards that came from that model are pretty pricy
This is a difficult one.

If you're committed to this, lowendmac.com provides excellent technical information, though I don't see an article related to GPU card swaps for your model. Ifixit might have some resources- try a search for 'A1200 IMac graphics card swap site:ifixit.com' and maybe ask on there.

It does seem like it might not be very cost effective. Have you been able to test with an external monitor to verify it's a graphics card issue, rather than the panel?

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Are there no longer any basic color palettes in Photoshop, for those times when I don't feel like scrolling through thousands of Pantones or picking my own "custom" color from the color wheel or color triangle thingy?

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
Ok, so I'm looking at the links below and it seems like there are patches to convert the demo/evaluation version of Win 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC to the full non-evaluation version of the same.

Is there an autistic Windows user forum somewhere that explains more about this, and where I can ask questions?

I'm also interested in shit that edits the disc image itself to remove shit like Windows store, Edge, and other things so I don't need to manually remove them myself.

• Islamic Content

Looney Troons

DRINK?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone have experience with a pump going bad? I've got this Swiftech AIO that I've been using for about five years. The last couple days the system just refuses to pump water when I turn it on. The LED in the reservoir comes on so I can visually see that it's not moving coolant, and the PC boots into a CPU fan error. I spend about ten minutes fucking around with the header on the motherboard, taking it in and out, and eventually it starts pumping. Once I get it going, it's perfectly fine. I do have it hooked up to a PWM hub so all of the fans in the chassis are tied to the CPU temp, but even if I plug the pump directly into the motherboard it does the same shit.

I find it weird that the pump would decide to start working randomly. If it was shot, I would think that it would outright refuse to move liquid. Same with the header on the motherboard. Cable issue? Ghost? halp.
These AIO coolers all have shitty pumps. I’m amazed you managed to get longer than two years out of one. Every Corsair H series, Thermaltake, and NZXT cooler that I have purchased has eaten shit within the first year. My Thermaltake 360 RIING did exactly what you’re describing now, and eventually completely died a few weeks later.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
These AIO coolers all have shitty pumps. I’m amazed you managed to get longer than two years out of one. Every Corsair H series, Thermaltake, and NZXT cooler that I have purchased has eaten shit within the first year. My Thermaltake 360 RIING did exactly what you’re describing now, and eventually completely died a few weeks later.
I think all the pump are made by the same manufacturer. Patent issues.

Reactions: Looney Troons

Joe Swanson

Famed TV Cripple
kiwifarms.net
Ok, so I'm looking at the links below and it seems like there are patches to convert the demo/evaluation version of Win 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC to the full non-evaluation version of the same.
Honestly you probably just either need a Key or a activator program (good luck finding one not pumped full of malware). My question is why Windows 10 Enterprise

???

kiwifarms.net
Honestly you probably just either need a Key or a activator program (good luck finding one not pumped full of malware). My question is why Windows 10 Enterprise
Because Win 10 Pro updated 1.5 days after I installed it and destroyed my networking drivers - unrecoverable even after a system reset. At least with Enterprise Microsoft has an incentive not to fuck up, because there are several arguably better alternatives.

Joe Swanson

Famed TV Cripple
kiwifarms.net
Because Win 10 Pro updated 1.5 days after I installed it and destroyed my networking drivers - unrecoverable even after a system reset. At least with Enterprise Microsoft has an incentive not to fuck up, because there are several arguably better alternatives.
Honestly you'd be better off trying to get yourself a Education Edition Key for cheap then getting Enterprise for free, despite how it sounds there isn't any limitations and Microsoft has the incentive not to fuck it up

???

kiwifarms.net
Honestly you'd be better off trying to get yourself a Education Edition Key for cheap then getting Enterprise for free, despite how it sounds there isn't any limitations and Microsoft has the incentive not to fuck it up
I'm considering it but I'm at $200 and my job pays checks monthly. Until then I'm looking at piracy.

Anyways, can you answer my original question? What forums exist for Windows hacking?

Joe Swanson

Famed TV Cripple
kiwifarms.net
Anyways, can you answer my original question? What forums exist for Windows hacking?
I'm not really aware of any, its just my job to work with Windows PCs (as well as the occasional Macintosh) so most of my knowledge just comes from experience and/or quick internet searches

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
What kind of jank network chipset are you running? VIA? The patch that most recently broke networking, as far as I'm aware, is months old.
Just put updates on delay so they have time to pull and fix any whoopsies in the patches before they reach your computer.

• Dumb
Reactions: ???

???

kiwifarms.net
What kind of jank network chipset are you running? VIA? The patch that most recently broke networking, as far as I'm aware, is months old.
Just put updates on delay so they have time to pull and fix any whoopsies in the patches before they reach your computer.
That's funny, there was a patch that came out in February that destroyed networking and made it unbootable. Maybe try to stop sucking Windows cock and contribute something useful in the future? Or at least Google something before you void your sphincter in my general direction?

And I did turn off as much updating as possible in Pro, but that doesn't stop the geniuses at Microsoft. It seems that 2020 is both the year that India becomes a superpower and the year that Windows - by any definition of the phrase - ceases to be an operating system.

• Mad at the Internet
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
And I did turn off as much updating as possible in Pro, but that doesn't stop the geniuses at Microsoft.
Don't turn off updates, put a delay the download and installation.
winupdate.JPG

I delay any of the feature ones for 90 days, small ones for a week, a week is enough time for them to pull the bad ones.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've attempted to help @???, and he does have a laptop with a wireless card that misreports its antenna configuration to the OS in a way that causes it to need specially patched drivers on Linux. His wifi did work on Windows at some point, but more to the point, it sounds like the issues he's having are more related to networking on his Windows install in general, as tethering to a phone via USB is also broken,.
Because Win 10 Pro updated 1.5 days after I installed it and destroyed my networking drivers - unrecoverable even after a system reset.
A further question in regards this. When you say "unrecoverable even after a system reset." do you mean you did a complete wipe and reinstall from some old install media? Or is this just using some of the Windows system checkpointing stuff?

• Winner

???

kiwifarms.net
I've attempted to help @???, and he does have a laptop with a wireless card that misreports its antenna configuration to the OS in a way that causes it to need specially patched drivers on Linux. His wifi did work on Windows at some point, but more to the point, it sounds like the issues he's having are more related to networking on his Windows install in general, as tethering to a phone via USB is also broken,.

A further question in regards this. When you say "unrecoverable even after a system reset." do you mean you did a complete wipe and reinstall from some old install media? Or is this just using some of the Windows system checkpointing stuff?
Tethering to a phone via USB, Bluetooth, or wireless hotspot via same doesn't work on Windows after that update.

I think it was some sort of Windows checkpoint, as I paid a guy to install it. I don't have installation media or even a optical disc drive.

Anyways, I simply want more info on communities dedicated to unfucking Windows 10.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
That sounds like a jank wifi-chipset and as usual I suspect VIA. If it is drivers issue and he have drivers that work stored locally, then install those manually. 1903 or whatever it was fucked over my PCIe USB card with newer drivers but I had the working cat/inf so it was trivial to replace.

Tags
None